Steroid allergy?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Steroid allergy?

I was recently hospitalized for an upper respiratory infection with asthma complications. They put me on solu-medrol, in my IV, and prednisone once I was released. My skin was clear while on the IV steroids, however, once I was removed from it and started the prednisone prescription I developed an acne-like rash covering my face, neck, chest, back, stomach, even down my arms. It itches and stings here and there, or causes general discomfort.

What causes this?  I'm suspecting it's an allergy to prednisone, or a withdrawl (withdrawal) sign from being removed from the high doses of solu-medrol. Is there anything that can be done ro clear it up quicker? I've always struggled with my skin a little bit but only when I'm on steroid treatments for my asthma does it become this severe. I've been using an ordinary acne cream to try to control it a little, though it doesn't appear to help any.
You seem to be having hives. Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. Many cases of hives are "idiopathic," meaning no cause is known. Others may be triggered by viral infections or medications.These hives can be due to the infection or medicines.

The mainstay of treatment of hives is antihistamine which may be necessary for prolonged periods (in excess of 6 weeks).Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms.
You may take Vitamin C along with the prescribed treatment. Vitamin C is a general anti-allergy supplement.Also apply calamine lotion on the hands.

If the symptoms persist, then you can consult an immunologist. He may start with immunosuppressive drugs.

If the hives don’t go after 6 wks of treatment also, then it can be a case of chronic urticaria which needs further evaluation as it may be due to auto antibodies.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted.