Sticky / Oily / Greasy scalp?!?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Viewing 201-310 comments:
Hello All,
I had the same problem with the sticky greasy stuff on the roots of my hair. My hair was gross. I thought one time that I didn't get all the shampoo out of my hair so the next day I really rinsed my hair. didn;t work. Then I thought it was my shampoo. I tried all different types including baby shampoo-nothing worked. I tried to rinse with cold water-thinking my hot shower had something to do with it-nothing again. I also tried vinegar, which helped slightly. I spoke to a few people who believe (and so do I ) that it is due to hormone changes. I just bought paul Mitcheal clearifying shampoo from Sallys Beauty supply. Salons also carry it. do not buy from walmart or any other store-not the same product and can be watered down. only buy from the salon or a beauty supply place. I was told to brush my scalp well (to break up any oil build up--do not do too often this can stimulate more oil production) I used a small amt of paul mitcheal and the first time I used it there was no suds. I rinsed and repeated and my head was full of bubbles. when my hair dried, it was 100% better. I could not believe it. The next day, I wased my hair with it again two times. My hair was back to normal. No more sticky feeling roots as if I had gel in it. It was even lighter in color. I am going to try to cut back on the Paul Mitcheal clarrifying to three times a day and use regular shampoo the rest of the week so that my hair does not completely dry out (not that it is not, just preventing) I also use conditioner -but only on the ends of my hair. I hope this workes for everyone else.
OMG Anna17.  You must be my lost twin or something.  Exactly the same thing has been happening to me for over two years.  I have sought help everywhere, tried every solution, mousse shampoo's, ointment, oils clarifying, zinc shampoo's  hair vitimins, zinc tablets.  My list is endless and the result is always the same.

I wake up with my hair just stuck all over my facial hairs, my eye brows, my nose, in my hair. superglued behind my ears.  It takes all day of pulling and tugging to get my hair to relax and only to spring back up towards my scalp.   Even worse is my son who doesn't even live with me is suffering with exactly the same problem.

I have even had some sessions of Acupuncture which to date has not worked but will continue this with this as it feels like my last hope of any abnormality sensation on my head.  Regards  and good luck.  myfreakyhair  

How long and how often do you use selsun blue? I use it and yes it keeps the greasey patch away but it also dries my hair out.....A LOT. Not to mention if you colour your hair it stripes away the colour. I love the selsun blue helps but I can't use it everyday...yet if I got two or more days without using it the grease comes back. What is this fungus? What causes it? Is it permanent or will it go away??
I am so grateful to have found this page! Like everybody else, I thought I was going crazy...and I am still SHOCKED that this is so common yet nobody (doctors, dermatologists) seem to know what it is and what is causing it. I am a 46-year-old female and honestly thought it was hormones. I have NEVER had oily hair/skin and this started quite suddenly several days ago: Thick "oily" scalp, felt sticky/waxy and looks like I haven't washed my hair in days. This is only on my crown...the rest of my hair and scalp is "normal". Like so many others, on the first day this occurred I initially thought I had forgotten to rinse out my conditioner. I rewashed my hair and it was no better...oily looking and sticky as soon as I dried it. Because i have just completed a 10 day course of antibiotics following a skin infection I am becoming suspicious of a fungus infection. After reviewing everybody's posts, I went and bought Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap/18-in-1 Tea Tree and Paul Mitchell Clarifying Shampoo. Because I kept reading about Listerine I decided to buy a small bottle for good measure. I started by putting three capfuls of Listerine on my scalp before getting into the shower. I combed this through and let it sit for about five minutes. I then added the Dr. Bronner's soap lathering it up prior to getting in the shower. Once in the shower I thoroughly washed my entire head with the Dr. Bronner's, combing it through from the scalp to the ends. I could tell a difference in my hair even as I was rinsing it. Finally, I washed my hair with Paul Mitchell Clarifying Shampoo. I dried my hair as usual and it feels completely normal again. Because I am suspicious that this may indeed be caused by a fungus I am going to continue to use the Tea Tree soap on my hair for a few days (Tea Tree Oil inhibits fungus) and the clarifying shampoo once or twice a week. I will update if any changes occur. Good Luck to everybody!
I can't thank all of you enough for posting your findings (both good and bad) regarding this "greasy scalp syndrome". I am a 33 year old woman, with no health concerns, no children, and am not on birth control. Within the last month I have battled an isolated greasy patch of hair from the back of my scalp to the nape of neck. Yesterday morning I tried Jason's Tea Tree Oil Shampoo. I still felt the grease, so I then doused the affected areas with two capfuls of Listerine (blue). After conditioning my hair with Jason' Tea Tree Oil Conditioner, I crossed my fingers. I blew dry my hair completely, but the grease was still there. Last night I washed my hair again with the Tea Tree Oil Shampoo (making sure my hair was fully lathered), then I added Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to the affected areas. After I thoroughly rinsed my hair, I then used a huge handful of the Tea Tree Oil Conditioner, combed it through my hair, and then got out of the shower, put a shower cap on, and let my hair condition for 30 minutes. When I popped back in the shower- and rinsed my hair, IT WAS GONE! My hair has never felt so clean. I don’t usually condition my hair, because my hair is naturally oily (but not this oily!), but now I will be using conditioner daily.  I don't know if I am out of the woods yet, but I think I will stick with Jason's Tea Tree Oil shampoo and conditioner, and keep some Apple Cider Vinegar on hand, just in case.
I've been having similar problems and Selsun blue only made mine worse.  I began to wonder if there was something in our water causing it.  I'm 48 and only started having this problem in the last 5-years.
I just wanted to post my results. I followed the advice of a previous poster so the credit (and my gratitude) should go to her.

Last night:
-Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, rinse
-Baking Soda mixed with green Palmolive, rinse
-4 capfuls of brown Listerine, let sit for several minutes and rinse
-Tea Tree oil, rinse
-Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, rinse
-Comb out and air dry

Result:
The oily spot was completely gone. My hair wasn't dull or weighed down.

This morning:
-Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, rinse
-Conditioner on my ends, rinse
-Comb out and air dry

Result:
The oily spot was still completely gone. My hair wasn't dull or weighed down.
thank you to everyone who posted their stories because now i dont feel alone in this greasy/waxy roots problem i have been goin through the past few days. I did not change my shampoo it just happened out of the blue and i normally have dry curly hair so i can go 4-5 days without washing my hair but I have gone as far as shampooing my hair with laundry detergent which i thought would strip my hair of everything and did NOT work! ive washed my hair about 8x in the past 3 days and my scalp is raw from vigorously washing my hair. I now believe it is a fungus and will do the vinegar treatment (hopefully apple cider vinegar will do becuase that is what i have in my cubboard right now lol) if not then i will go out and get tea tree oil. Thank you to everyone i was really getting depressed because i thought i was the only one out there with this " sticky" situation
What worked permanently (so far!) for me was dishwashing liquid.  I use 3/4 shampoo - any except Pantene, and 1/4 dishwashing liquid - any, altho Dawn works best.  It hasn't ruined my hair like straight dishwashing liquid did, and has kept the oil/wax away.
Dod you find out what it was? I am jys experience this exact thing now and your words may as well have been coming from my mouth as it is exactly same thing with the acne and oily skin and scalp! Please help!!
***@****

Thank you
Ladies there is a solution. I thought I was alone until I started reading everyone's comments. I had tried everything but nothing worked and I thought I would just have to live with it. Well I DON'T!! Try using Kenra Clarifying Shampoo. You can only get it at a salon but let me tell you it WORKS!!!! I washed my hair once with it and now the sticky and greasiness is gone.
So strange, I'm in basically the exact same situation as most of you.   20 years old, been on birth control for about a year, had a stressful couple of weeks and out of nowhere - bam - icky sticky hair (just on the right side of my crown and a little in back).  Tried being extra cafeful when shampooing (I use Head and Shoulders) but to no avail.  It's been about three days now, and it seems to be getting only slightly better.  

I'm currently living in Chile so not sure I can find Listerine or the special tea tree shampoos.... does anyone know what else might work?

I can't believe this phenomenon hasn't been seriously studied/remedied by a dermatologist yet!
After waiting four days, I tracked down the brown Listerine.  I used a little more than 2 capfuls on my dry hair, rubbed in in and let sit for about 15 minutes.   Washed it out in the shower, blow dried my hair, and voila!   Beautiful, stick-free, smooth hair.  THANK YOU to everyone who suggested this!  So much better.
I found a simple remedy - please try this first!  *BABY SHAMPOO*
I am relieved to know I'm not the only one who has had this problem.  I normally have really healthy hair.  I started noticing an oily patch only on the top of my head in March and read about using clarifying shampoos like Jason's Tea Tree Oil and the Listerine method.  I was desperate and tried both.  The tea tree oil shampoo couldn't remove all the greasyness and it dried out the rest of my hair really badly with repeated use.  I found the Listerine method was also not helpful.  It dried out the rest of my hair and was really uncomfortable, almost a burning sensation on my scalp that couldn't be any good for the skin.
Finally when I wanted to cut my hair because the ends were getting so dried out, a hairstylist used a salon quality clarifying shampoo and suggested baby shampoo if the problem came back.  It came back last week, so I've been washing with baby shampoo and my hair is back to being healthy and normal.  Only use the baby shampoo when you have the greasy spot, because repeated use can also dry out your hair.
I've had this 3 times now, once as a teenager, once last year and again this year. It appears all of a sudden and it's always as I'm washing my hair.  The grease is different to that of unwashed hair, it's very thick and it's a struggle to get a brush through my hair. (My hair is also long, brown and rather thick) I tried the suggestions of vinegar, tea tree shampoo, mothwash etc and nothing worked, infact it made it worse and made my scalp tingle. I went to the doctor and she examined my scalp, she found nothing unusual. However, she did suggest using a shampoo for itchy, dry scalps - she went on to explain that the more I try to strip my hair of it's natural oils, the more it will try to produce. I used the T-Gel shampoo for itchy dry scalps and it made a difference straight away. 3 - 4 washes and the thick grease is gone. This may not work for everyone but it's certainly worth a try. Hope everyone sorts their hair out. Don't get upset about it - it's much more noticeable to you than other people.
I have to add, after reading this & other forums, that 2 of the times it has happened has been when I've used the conditioner from a nice n easy hair dye. Definitely won't be doing that again.
I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY HAIR UNTIL RECENTLY....SAME ISSUES AS LISTED BELOW EXCEPT I DONT HAVE ACNE AND DONT TAKE BIRTH CONTROL...I TRIED EVERYTHING SUGGESTED AND NOTHING WORKED....UNTIL I REMEMBERED A SHAMPOO CALLED NIAZIROLE IT IS SOLD OVER THE COUNTER (IT IS NOT FOR DANDRUFF) ALSO YOUR DOCTOR CAN PERSCRIBE IT FOR YOU ....I GOT THE PERSCRIPTION AND AFTER A WEEK AND A HALF OF USING IT EVERY OTHER DAY IT WAS GONE....YEAH!!!
Hi Everyone!!! So I've tried pretty much everything suggested here but I find that once I go back to my normal shampoo (head & shoulders which I've used for about 15 years) my hair gets the greasy spot again.... with ONE application!!!

I can't keep doing all these things to keept the greasy spot away.. I'd like to know the cause?

I went to the dermatologist yesterday and she gave me prescription shampoo with Salicylic acid. This worked completely.. but she did say it's a strong shampoo. So far things that I have tried and HAVE worked are.

1) Neutrogena clarifying shampoo + Listerine. I used the regular green version.
2) Regular glycerin soap instead of shampoo
3) Any liquid soap. I used green palmolive
4) Medicated shampoo.

I'm still in the search of a daily shampoo. I'm going to try baby shampoo as I don't think I can find tea tree oil or tea tree oil shampoo here. Will report back.
I just wanted to let everyone know that I've tried baby shampoo today after much hesitation if I should even shampoo my hair at all today (I shampoo my hair every single day)

and.... there is no greasy/waxy spot!!! I'm so happy. I'm going to keep using the medicated shampoo 2x week, neutrogena 1x week and the johnson's baby shampoo the rest of the days!!!
I never usually post on these kinds of things but I've been struggling with my hair for months and I found the cure! I had, like many of you are saying, a sticky kind of coating in my hair after washing that made it look greasy and disgusting, but it wasn't grease, more of a build-up, and not in all of my hair, sometimes in one section, sometimes most of the hair. It really got me down for ages, I had to constantly stick my hair up or drown it in dry shampoo. I tried all of the suggestions, and I strongly suggest you don't try things like listerine or washing up liquid, I did and it didn't work, and my hairdresser advised me that you should NEVER use anything on your hair that isn't made for hair as it will cause alot of damage. I gave up on conditioner altogether. I tried all of the detoxing shampoos from high street brands to expensive ones like Aveda. The molten brown one worked but then the problem came back, almost like an immunity. I tried a solid shampoo from lush, 'Seanick' along with the solid conditioner and it worked! My hair feels really clean and free of greasy residue! It's about £5 for a bar but they last aaages and it's cured my problem. So try it!
Hiya, i developed this problem 3 days ago and it has been a real nightmare! Thanks to everyone who has posted their helpful suggestions. This morning i tried mixing fairy liquid with my regular shampoo and only used a touch of conditiner from shoulder length down. Although its not perfect, my hair feels 10X better, and i feel alot happier!
Very interesting with this post..
I turned 32 last month, and really nothing out of the norm happened. I suffer from adult acne and various other weird skin things so not sure any of that has to do with my hair issue. However..I noticed my first gray hair about 2 weeks ago. I color my hair because the blaa brownish color I have is just not working for my personal tastes, but it had been a while so I decided it was time to color again. I got the Nice and Easy med auburn color ( a color and brand I had used before the last color treatment) and everything went fine. But lately I've noticed that the roots at the back of my crown are gritty..almost like I had sprayed dry shampoo or some sort of volume spray in it and it didn't wash out. That's really the only spot that I've noticed it, the rest of my hair is fairly normal. I have naturally wavy/curly hair and so it tends to be a bit dry so I do use conditioner and sometimes a frizz fighting cream. I normally don't have a problem with tangles, but when I brush my hair after a shower, lately I've noticed I've had more tangles. I do straighten my hair on the weekends mostly and the last time I did I noticed that my hair seemed more oily even though I had washed the night before.
So it's very interesting to me that a few posters have mentioned Nice and Easy, and the color being a red color- as auburn is-... I use natural homemade cleaners so I have tea tree oil on hand.. will try that tonight and HOPE it makes a difference because it's just nasty and I can't stand it!
Hi there! I am an expat living in China and had this problem during 1 month. Many of the products suggested above could not be found here so i tried the vinegar and the dish liquid. They did not work. Then a friend of mine told me she had the very same problem that lasted 1 year!!! until she found a shampoo called Super Mild by the japanese brand Shiseido. This worked for me too =))) My hair is back! Hope this will help some of you.
As glad that I am that other people are experiencing this nightmare with their hair, we have no real idea what causes it and how to get rid of it easily. I have tried all of these except the dish soap and listerine. I seriously thought this was because of a bad perm that I got in January. I too have colored hair. Red as a matter of fact. Mine is done professionally. The problem in addition to the sticky hair, usually at the base of my neck, but several times my whole head, is that my hair is dry. Big time dry and the breakage is terrible. I had to stop drying my hair because it looked like a bad fro and brushing it did the same. I stoppeed washing it everyday and use extreme snap from Redken everytime I comb my hair after I wash my hair. I now wash everyday. I stopped using Malibu hair wellness products and Deva curl products thinking the amount of conditioners made it worse. I use Paul Mitchells clarifying shampoo once or twice toward the end of my hair color-it really strips out the color. I use Paul Mitchells tea tree shampoo and conditioner and color extend simply smooth occasionally. It has all helped a little. The problem comes and goes. At its worse I loose a hairbrush with a clump of that sticky hot mess. I just started birth control 2 months ago, but this started not long after the perm. I wish someone had clear answers and a straight forward solution and not all these home remedies and suppositions. I'm sorry,but this really *****.Hopefully, the answers will come, I really miss my old perm free healthy long hair. It's now slightly longer than shoulder and the damage is extensive. I will keep coming back to see what new stuff gets posted.
It seems the tea tree oil did it for me. The crown of my head felt like I had used hair spray. I used Clear Men's anti-dandruff shampoo because it was the only thing I could find at my local store and after two showers it was completely gone.
My hair for the last year has been sticky 4 hours after it's washed and dried with no product. I have to wash it daily with a 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner that is sulfite free. It's also breaking off an inch or so from the scalp, a few days later that piece falls out all together. Other long strands just fall out from the scalp, pretty much whenever I touch my hair. I have been loosing it for 3 years now and can't imagine how I haven't lost it all. No Dr has discovered why or how to help it yet. I've seen 9 Dr's
I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION!

like everyone else, I suddenly started getting super-sticky hair that wouldn't come off with any kind of shampoo. And the sticky stuff was only on the crown of my head, localized on my bangs mostly.I was pretty upset because before I used to have very nice hair and now I had horrible sticky hair! I tried switching to Head & Shoulders, and not use conditioner but it didn't help. After reading everyone's comments, I opted NOT to try any vinegar/baking soda methods.

Fortunately, my mom had recently brought home a sample of Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo and I tried it. AMAZING! The stickiness was almost completely, if not all of it gone with one use! I will continue to use it and hopefully the stickiness will be gone forever. I didn't use any conditioner after but my hair was still soft after as the shampoo moisturizes.
The only drawback is that it is pretty expensive; $40 for 500mL! I suggest you try a little sample and see if it works.

Good luck to everyone! I know that this is a very upseting problem...
Hopefully eveyone else will have good results like I did with Kiehl's shampoo.
I first had this problem many years ago and it was caused by dimethicone which is found it a lot of hair conditioners and detanglers.  At the time it was Fructis that I had been using and it was so bad that I went to my hairdressers.  They had never seen anything like it and after trying three different shampoos the only thing that got it out was a bar of soap.  The same thing happened again when I used Pantene and Elvive so I never use any products now that have dimethicone in.
This has happened to me! I have ALWAYS had soft manageable hair and I moved from VT to NYC a few months ago and started to notice my hair when it would try, it would feel sticky and greasy, but just on the top of my head! I am 27 and NEVER had this problem before. I thought maybe it's the water, something in NYC water that's causing this problem? It literally feels like a bottle of gel was dumped on my head and it is making my hair so GROSS! If you happen to find any answers, please let me know! I'm desperate!
Hi I have the same sticky hair problem. It started after using nice and easy hair dye!!!!
I have no acne or any other skin problems except psoriasis... (which is not on my head)

I tree the vinegar and lemon recipes (im blonde) and nothing changed except is wasn't as knotty!!! I the. Was told by my hairdresser friend to (off the record) use soap eg hand wash or even washing up liquid on it a couple of times... Rub in leave as long as poss and rinse and after the first attempts it went :) good luck to u all ...
it's a massive pain and very upsetting x

it's a massive pain and very upsetting
I've never had hair this long and developed a super waxy/greasy spot at the the nape of my neck.  No changes in diet or medication.  Also thought it was something that could be fixed by clarifying shampoo but didn't work and been just putting my hair up as a solution, especially since it's hot out anyway.  I self diagnosed the problem as my hair being too long and not detangling/brushing it out enough in order to spread out the oil and that's why I have the grease spot. Tried to brush it out more, from the nape of my neck down to the roots with a wide tooth comb to spread it out but still have the greasy/wet feeling spot permanently.  Came across this forum and realized that this is a common problem. A comment mentioned that this can be caused by always sleeping with hair wet which is what I do often.  On a whim after reading the comments on here decided to just try some of the remedies right away with stuff I had at home.  Washed my hair with Palmolive as shampoo and doused my hair in a vinegar/water mix and let it sit for a few minutes.  Then just lightly conditioned roots.  I can tell after getting out of the shower that my hair already feels 5 lbs lighter.  I'm not sure if this is a permanent solution but seems to have helped.  
This happened to me a few weeks back, I was playing tennis daily and not sure if it's the sweat caused the problem. After reading this post, thank you guys for all the info. Here is what I tried: 1. Apple vinegar mixed with baking soda and some dish washer soap. 2. green Listerine 3.face cleaning lotion 4 baby body wash.  I went from step one to four and leave each on a few minutes or less. Now the greasy top seems much better than just using shampoo. I will try this again tomorrow and hopefully this will go away.
The oily spot returned today. I tried the green Listerine, apple vinegar with baking soda and dish washer soap, and baby body wash. It didn't seem to help like yesterday. I will go get the other stuff people suggested here. I will let you know how it work out...
Day3: 1.tea tree oil (massage on the problem area, leave for 10 minutes). 2. Palmolive +baking soda (wash the area with tea tree oil). 3 get in the shower wash whole head with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo (wash and rinse). 4. original brown Listerine, three cupful on the problem area and let it sit a few minutes then rinse . 5. I bought a lice comb from Walmart, use that go throw the problem hair . 6 wash with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo again. 7. condition the roots .

After all that, I can feel the sticky parts are 90% gone. So I used the left over Palmolive + baking soda to wash the areas that I missed. Now my hair is 90% better, I can still feel a little bit of sticky strings before it's totally dry. But when it's dry, it seems OK.

I will try the tea tree oil again, I want this be cured not only go away for a day. I shall update and good luck to us all.
Day 4: 1.massaged tea tree oil into the problem area when hair is dry, let it sit for 40 minutes. 2. use Palmolive to wash out the area with tea tree oil 3. use suave daily cleaning shampoo wash out the problem area only. I didn't wash the roots of my hair as it feels too dry already. 4. condition the part that wasn't washed, mostly the ends. 5. let hair air dry.

result: the sticky spots are gone for now. Before the above process, there were an area with waxy hair, about 50% the amount stickiness before I started the home remedy from a few days back.
I had the same problem of a greasy/sticky crown n i tried this technique n it worked for me....
before shampooing my hair i conditioned my scalp n left it to rest for 7-8 mins....shampooed it with my normal shampoo except i diluted my shampoo n made it really liquidy n washed my hair twice wid it....i let them dry naturally n the end result was soft, conditioned, non-greasy silky hair....oh n make sure the water is not too hot....it'll make ur roots dry....luke warm water would be d best....n i didnt condition them after shampooing...i was afraid they'll become greasy...

My theory behind this was simple....my oil glands were working over time because i feel i stripped them off my natural oil by washing my hair everyday and making them dry....so the more u wash dem with harsh detergents or shampoos you might end up making it worse......

This worked pretty well for me....hope it helps you too....
Good Luck...:)

Result: I'm happy to report that the greasy spot has been gone for a few days. After Day 4, I did one more time with the tea tree oil, Suave daily cleaning shampoo and brown Listerine.  

Today, almost a week later, I started my normal routine. Using a normal shampoo and tea tree conditional. My hair is back to normal.

I hope that this problem won't come back. And for those of you who is experiencing this. I hope your problem will be soon gone. And many many many thanks to all the previous posts. Thanks you guys for sharing.
Both my daughters have had the greasy crown, back of the head goo!  I found the best thing was to wash hair with Phisohex (Anti-Bacerial Wash) which they both use to wash their faces. I am sure the cause is from putting wet hair in a ponytail, which cause some kind of fungus.  Hope this helps.
I've tried most of the suggested solutions and the only thing that works for me is the Tea Tree Shampoo. I find it interesting that a lot of people have mentioned Nice & Easy Hair Colour - I noticed my problem gets worse every time I Colour my hair. There must be a common ingredient in N&E and other products that is causing the problem.

It's a terrible problem and you would think with all the people on this post with this problem that someone would have figured this out. Anyway, I will be switching hair Colour & I will be more careful not to purchase anymore Clairol related products.
I just wanted to say, THANK YOU to all of you who suggested baby shampoo. I read everyone's experiments and solutions and I decided that Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo would be my first attempt at getting rid of the grease. It worked like a charm! One wash, and my hair was back to normal! All I did was lather it in, let it sit for about 5 minutes, and then washed it out and conditioned my hair like usual. Blow dryed my hair like usual and everything was back to normal!  

Here's why:

@shr88 I definitely agree, I think depending on what shampoo you use, and how often you wash your hair, your scalp can start to work over time and oversecrete the natural oils, causing this greasy spot. I had just started using head and shoulders again about a month or so ago (just randomly, I don't even have dandruff or anything), and I've used it plenty before, but I think head and shoulders is actually a very strong shampoo since it's meant for dandruff people, so I think it freaked out my scalp after so many washes. The Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo was really mild and gentle and helped wash away the grease without freaking out my scalp.

For those of you who resorted to dishwashing detergent, laundry detergent, vinegar, etc, those are actually all very harsh, and could just cause your scalp to secrete even more oil in response to you trying to remove the grease with harsh chemicals. I highly recommend baby shampoo first, then tea tree oil, and slowly increasing the strength in the product you might need to remove the grease, but try to keep it on the natural side. I don't think Palmolive was meant for hair...although I was prepared to use it myself, I won't deny that.

But the same thing happened to me that happened to all of you..

I have normal hair, wash it regularly, change shampoos here and there, and never had I ever experienced this greasy crown until one morning. I had showered, and as I was blow drying my hair, I noticed my bangs (crown area only) were super greasy, like I hadn't washed my hair in a week. I immediately thought I hadn't washed out the conditioner, so I dunked my head in the sink, in an attempt to wash the bangs again. After another blow dry, it was still greasy, so I jumped in the shower and shampooed and conditioned all over again, but even after shampooing and rinsing I still felt the grease, even while still IN the shower. I gave up and found this forum, and I feel very lucky to have found you all, because to my surprise the BABY SHAMPOO WORKED!

So please try this first! Before anything! Then add a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo if it doesnt work, and then apple cidar vinegar..and THEN maybe resort to those other things people mentioned above...
I definitely agree, I think depending on what shampoo you use, and how often you wash your hair, your scalp can start to work over time and oversecrete the natural oils, causing this greasy spot. I had just started using head and shoulders again about a month or so ago (just randomly, I don't even have dandruff or anything), and I've used it plenty before, but I think head and shoulders is actually a very strong shampoo since it's meant for dandruff people, so I think it freaked out my scalp after so many washes. The Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo was really mild and gentle and helped wash away the grease without freaking out my scalp.
I just used the Baby Shampoo and it worked. I had been suffering with the oily scalp for over a month and it was driving me crazy. Thanks
I don't know if anyone got to read my previous post back in April or May.   As before I have tried many remedies and was recently prescribed medication which is actually for mental health issues.  I do not have mental health issues although the problems from my scalp condition has resulted in my having mental health issues.

Can someone please offer a solution that will just make this waxy stuff just disolve and go away.   I would just like to feel my scalp with a normal head of hair not this nasty sticky substance that will not shift, even with my latest try out of normal soap in the hope that the glycerine ingredient will do wonders and release my once lovely think long straight chestnut brown hair with all the grey and will be free not attached my shoulder hair folicles attached to my neck ears eyebrows at every hair folicles.

I have treated my condition via 3 channels, from within via vitamins and minerals especially for hair. treated the stickyness for above via shampoos lotions mousses theraputic and clarifying and tea tree shampoos, anti dandruff, coal tar, anti dandruff shampoos and prescribed shampoo's for dry scalp.  I do not have a dry  scalp nor is my hair thining. It just sticks in the same way as when you wash your hair and it all lathers up together.  Then it sticks just as it is. It never relaxes and just hangs of my scalps its as though I have locks in my hair and its really bad round my ears where masses of hair sticks on my ears in the creases of my ear and directly in my ear.  When I loosen the hair from around my ears its a  relief cos it where it sticks the most, but then its sticks back down again.

Well my Dermatoligists insist I do not have the mental health issue listed for this prescribed drug and assures me this will help my nerve endings as clearly something has upset the normal balance.  I have been taking the meds and 3 weeks later still it sticks the same.   I get some relief with solutions but always my hair is stuck somewhere.  Sleeping is my worse nightmare as it sticks as I sleep.   I wake up its stuck when I go to bed it's stuck.

People even suggest I shave it off aaahhhhhh..............   Really not what I want to hear two years after the problem started. and even after having my hair cut an inch all over.  I looked like Simon Cowell.  My hair is now 9 inches long but stuck around my head in a whirl of very thick hair with bits sticking out all over the place, as though I just had a good night out or something like that.   Your replies would so be appriciated.

Help....
p.s.  I meant I had my hair cut down to an inch all over and the meds the dermatologists prescribed has been Risperidone and now Arpripramazole.  I may have the spelling wrong but these are the tablets that are supposed to cure my scalp condition and I am supposed to believe it will work when it hasn't as yet.  

Would you trust your dermatoligist to prescribe you with these meds.   Anyone with any thoughts on this please let me know.  Thanks  

I  
I am sooo glad I am not crazy! This just started happening to me about three days ago. I thought I was loosing my mind! And mine also started after using the nice n easy hair color and conditioner, but not til after a few uses. That will go immediately to the trash. I tried lemon juice this morning but no help. I am heading to the grocery store now to get listerine, baby shampoo and clarifying shampoo.

Thanks So much!
I came to this thread and read the comments. I just dried my hair and its so much better! I used 1/2 cup cider vinegar and 1/3 cup of water mixed. I left it in for about 5 mins maybe a little longer then washed my hair and it looks great. I'd like it noted that my sticky oil issue had built up for over a month and in one shot it was way better. I'll probably do this ervery time I was my hair just to be safe because it worked so well. Also a tip for how I did it, I used my spray bottle that I used to use to wet my hair down when I braid it, it makes it a little easier to get the mix exactly where I want with out having to pour it over my head :) thanks to everyone for the suggestion, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem I felt really gross and self conscious even though I knew I was washing and rinsing as thoroughly as I could, I'd gotten to the point I was making my scalp raw scrubbing so hard. Thank you!!!
This started for me a few days ago, after I had tonsil surgery. Am wondering if surgery/stress/Vicodin is causing this? Anyone else have a surgery/ drug interaction/ stress theory? I've never had this before and it's horrible. Thank you all for the suggestions...my shopping cart is going to be full of random stuff tomorrow because I'm going to try it all!
UPDATE:

Baby Shampoo WORKED! I had to do it 3 times. The first time didn't lather well because there was so much grease.

I also tried soaking the top of my head with apple cider vinegar before the shower and that did NOT work. It did not work to cut grease. Though I've heard that apple cider vinegar makes a great conditioner (makes soft, shiny hair).

Let's hope it stays gone....
Hi, I've been reading on this forum, spent the best part of an hour reading all posts! I recently moved overseas, two weeks in my hair has been just disgusting, straight after washing it had the greesy, sticky, waxy feel as has been described here. I'm trying to find a job and didn't think it would do me any favours appearing like I hadn't washed for weeks.

Having read the conditions people have described associated with the sudden greesey feel, the only changes I've made is my shampoo and conditioner to Pantene, moving to the other side of the world - but not particularly stressed 2 weeks in - and deciding to wash my hair every other day rather than everyday like I have for years. I'm not on the pill, don't take any prescribed medication and good all round hygiene.

I had a similar thing when I was a teenager where the top back of my scalp/hair was oily after washing but went away after a few days assuming it must be to do with 'growing up' or so it was suggested, but this threw me. (I'm getting to the point ;) ) After having read through and saw someone comment that it was potentially a fungal issue (which I was horrified by) I had been leaving my hair to dry naturally, often tying it up before it was dry in a top knot, I'm used to British weather and the climate where I am isn't much different but could have played a hand in it, so decided rather than washing my scalp with the suggested apple cider vinegar and Palmolive I tried washing my hair but just once, with a different shampoo and the ends with a small amount of conditioner and sat out in the sun - had I less time and a hair dryer I would have opted for that option - making sure I switched over partings of my hair where the problem was so that it dried and got a good dose of fresh air and this seems *touch wood* to have done the trick, I kept feeling my hair as it dried (which isn't a good idea after having read that touching it contributes to greese but it was the only way of testing it was gone) and it is still 6 hours on, clean, whereas before when it had dried, I wanted to shave it all off.

I am no scientist, this may not work for everyone and I'm keeping an eye on my pennies at the moment, however I do think that aggrivating the scalp with over washing in one go - especially if it is potentially a fungal issue - will make it worse. I'm very glad I found this forum as it's such a blow to your self confidence and fustrating and really helpful to see people being able to suggest solutions.

This has worked for me and hopefully it might for someone else but had it not, I would have tried the baby shampoo, followed by more harsh shampoos in order to get it to go away!
I am so glad I have found this website. I literally thought I was going insane. Ok so I am 16 years old and have have this greasy oily problem for five months straight now. A soon as my hair dries my crown on the back of my head, and the area where my side bangs are, get so greasy. I have tried tea tree oil shampoo, nuetragena clarifying shampoo, Johnson's baby shampoo, head and shoulders, listerene, and dish soap. NOTHING HAS WORKED. I have to wear my hair up every single day and its getting to the point where I can't deal with it anymore. I NEED to find a cure,atleast a permanent one. I'm going to go insane. Please if anyone finds anything else let me know!!
BABY SHAMPOO! Try it before anything else please! Worked on the first try for me and I have exactly what you are all talking about. A waxy, sticky patch on the top of my head that started about 3 days ago. But it's gone now! :)
I just thought of something else and am wondering if others might agree. I recently went off the pill. It sounds like this problem may be hormone related (and in particular female hormones as I see no men on this forum!). The hormone theory might make sense for Slm13 because she's 16 (prime hormone years). And, this condition sounds a lot like what happens to newborn babies. Their hormones are in overdrive (even boys) and they get a condition called "Cradle Cap". Look into going on the pill...??

I'm on holiday in Bali right now and yesterday my hair had this horrible oily, sticky, film. I assumed that I hadn't washed the shampoo out properly, so reshampooed. But it was not corrected at all. I figured I'd go to bed and deal with it today.

I still couldn't get the problem corrected, so I googled it and saw someone on here mention that it might be due to a fungus. I loaded my hair in tea tree oil, let it sit for a while and then washed it out and now my hair is 80% normal. It's not as nice as usual, but  it looks decent enough that I won't feel embarrassed about going out in public at least.

I have no idea what could have caused this - maybe a fungus? Also, I did radically change my diet since coming here. Being on holiday I decided that I get to eat whatever I want. Usually, I eat a wheat free, sugar free diet. Ive had tons of wheat and sugar this week. Maybe that was a factor??

So unclear ... I'm going to see if I can find baby shampoo here and give that a shot tomorrow after reapplying more theatre oil. Good luck.

Ugh ... So GROSS!
i tried baby shampoo again, lush jumping juniper, and palmolive dish soap and literally nothing is working!!!! i have to put my hair up everyday and even with it up it gets dirty after a few hours! i dont know what to do please please please if anyone has any answers let me know. i miss my old clean soft hair that i could actually wear down without it being so disgustingly greasy! i have literally always had clean hair but i have had this problem for six months now. ): if it is a fungal disease like some said, should i go to a doctor or is there anything i can do? i seriously need to find a solution to this, i cant take it anymore.
Try LUSH Juicy shampoo, it worked for me!
After years of fantastic long silky hair I suddenly developed this weird sticky oil substance on the roots of my hair an just was not normal for me  :( spent a hole day surfing the net trying to see if anyone had a cure or the same sort of problem I discovered a lot of other women having such a problem had died the hair with nice n easy hair die being I had used this same hair die 9 days before this sticky substance appeard I think it was from the conditioner that came in the package that created a film on the hair causing it to become sticky that's my theory anyway I tried everything from vinigar an water to dish washing liquid lemon juice none of that stuff worked then I kept searching an I seen someone said about T/GEL NUTROGENA  was the last thing I was going to try before I was going to shave my hair off well it worked!!! I can't believe the result I was crying with happiness my hair is smooth an back to normal I didn't know what T/Gel to get so I hoped for the best an got the therapeutic shampoo it smells a bit funny but it works so that's the best thing I didn't use conditioner but when I brushed my hair after using the T/gel it was very easy to brush an I have long hair that tangles easy when wet do not use any sort of conditioner as it only makes the film worse hope this helps an hope it gives the same result as it gave with my hair :) I'll only ever use T/GEL now!
Same as all of you girls, I freaked out for so many weeks over my greasy hair because i thought i would have to live with it forever.

When i was a teenger, i used to always abuse my hair with dye chemical, bleach and straightening chemical so my scalp would get really dry and flaky. Hence my shampoo was always either Clear or Head and Shoulders for years and years ( I don't have dandruff anymore ) . And i think that was the cause, the shampoo was too harsh for my ( now healthier ) scalp and thats what ( i think ) caused the oil gland to go crazy...

Thank God i found this blog, i read so many similar stories and feel so relived that i am not alone.
I tried the Listerine trick but that didn't completely help, it burnt my scalp and was bad for my hair. So i was planning to buy Baby Shampoo and Apple Cider Vinegar but then i came across this REDWIN TEA TREE OIL SHAMPOO (http://www.redwin.com.au/sensitive-skin-product/tea-tree-shampoo/)  which has antiseptic and anti-fungal properties. I washed my hair twice with it, fingers crossing as i was drying my hair. And BOOM !! SOFT, HEALTHY , FLOWY hair AGAIN. I didn't even have to use conditioner and my hair was really smooth and sily. It didn't burn my scalp and only cost me $4. It is perfect for daily use too.
I am incredibly happy and hoping this would help anyone who is experiencing the same problem .

PLEASE TRY TEA TREE OIL SHAMPOO BEFORE LISTERINE, DISH SOAP, BAKING SODA OR APPLE CIDER VINEGAR AS THOSE ARE VERY HARSH FOR SCALP !!!
My hair type: thick, wavy, long, healthy.

Hair Care: wash every other day mostly. have been using pantene dandruff shampoo for about 6 months or more. Don't always style and mostly let hair hair dry. I use lo real vive conditioner at tips and occasionally use fructise hair anti friz serum. But for the most part product free hair. Weekends I curl or straighten.

I recently started experiencing a sticky patch of hair myself and thought I was loosing my mind! On December 4 or so, I washed my hair, put no product in and went to get acupuncture. When I got home and put my hair down I noticed a sticky patch near the spot where a needle had been placed so I assumed the acupuncturist left some product in. The next morning I was my hair out 2 times and its still sticky. Call acupunturist they say they never use anything other than alcohol to wipe area. At this point I'd been trying acupuncture for about 2 months. I'm not on bc and I would say I'm a little stressed, but not much more than usual.

After washing hair out and unable to figure out what was up, called my stylist friend and she suggested dish washing liquid soap applied only on patch. Used generic soap and was still sticky. Went in to see her and she used tree oil to get it out. My hair was back to normal until yesterday. It's not as bad as it was the first time but its completely weird! Will go buy tree oil tomorrow. I will also state that I believe it's an overact ice sebum glad. http://hair.lovetoknow.com/Hair_Follicles_Clogged_by_Sebum and if this continues I will visit my dermatologist bc I've never experienced this until now. I'm 32 and trying to conceive if that helps anyone compiling data. I may also see an endocrinologist if this worsens. It's very weird and I want to fix this. I'm happy I found this page!
I know this is very old forum but people will look for solutions even now,just like me. I had sudden greasy spot/crown even after double shampooing for about 2 weeks and it didn't go. I almost bought an expensive special shampoo from ebay but then I decided I could try ma baby's shampoo-and guess-it worked very well. I will contonue to use it just in case.
My scalp and the roots of my hair used to be sticky around the crown of my head. It is hair fungus. It is contageous and you can get it from animals and people. You need to take antifungal medicine for it to completely clear up, but danadruff shampoo ( I used selsun blue) will temporarily help. Make sure you dont use an infected brush or anytihg that has come into contact with your hair after you treat it.
I just want to thank everyone for posting about this! I thought that it may have been my hair dryer or my brush that I was using. I have always had long, soft, natural blonde hair. It has never been dyed, permed, highlighted, etc.. I have been using Head and Shoulders for dry scalp and Pantene conditioner for years now and I just recently started seeing this oily patch on the crown of my head. I have been running baby powder with cornstarch through it after I dry my hair and this helps a little bit but I am not to sure that baby powder was meant to be put on my scalp! After reading your posts, I believe what is causing this is the fact that over the last several months, I have been leaving my hair wet after showering and putting the sides of my hair up in a barette and spraying hairspray on it, leaving it to dry on it's own. I have also been extra stressed out lately. I truely believe that this is a fungal or hormonal issue. I will try some of your suggestions and will let you know what helps!  
Hi!!
I'm so glad I found ths site, I'm not alone!! :D
Anyways... Thought I'd let you know my doctor diagnosed it...

It's a fungal infection, can't remember the long name it had, but he did say that a dry scalp or dandruff can make it a lot worse.
No cause for it really, but it is contagious, so somehow you've managed to pick it up from someone.

Also said if your outdoors quite a lot and swimming a lot can contribute to it!
Have you shared a brush? Towel? Head against a head rest in someone else's car?

He's prescribed me with drops to rub into my scalp and a prescription shampoo.
Let's hope it works!!!
I've had issues with sticky/greasy hair. My old and wise Nana told me to try peanut butter and it works!!! PEANUT BUTTER WORKS! Rub it on dry hair in the problem area and shampoo after and its gone! It makes your hair so soft you might end up using it again on your entire head.
I've had this problem for the past 3 weeks and like everyone else, thought it was something on my hair which I hadn't washed out.  

I've been to my hair stylist today and he hadn't seen anything like it before, he suggested washing liquid (which hasn't worked.)  Interestingly, I also use a Clairol hair dye and I have just had a baby, who is now 8 weeks old.  I'm inclined to think it must be a hormonal thing, which has also bought on eczema.

Think I'll try some T-Gel and baby shampoo, as I too dislike having this greasy patch.  I've always had lovely soft, shiny hair and this is really getting me down too.
I've had this same problem for the last few months, I've tried tea tree shampoo with a small improvement and have finally solved the problem with tony and guy cleanse shampoo, it's specifically for product build up and was recommended by my hair dresser after I showed her my hair. Noticed a massive difference the first time I used it and after using it 3 times (with a small amount of conditioner) my hair is normal again! I'm so happy I could cry! I had seriously considered having my head shaved as I was so upset and disgusted by my hair! Thoroughly recommend trying it and a bit of perseverance!
Has anyone found a permanent solution to this? Baby Shampoo works for me, but I have to keep using it every few days to keep it away. It went away for a couple months (didn't need baby shampoo), but now it's back :-(
I really have never had a problem with my hair in terms of oily-ness. I have extremely fine hair to the point that when I dyed my hair blonde four years ago it started to disintegrate. Now I am 28 years old and like I said never had a problem with my hair until a few days ago I got out of the shower, blow dryed my hair, and realized my hair looked greasy. I thought maybe I didn't wash it good enough so the next day I washed it with shampoo twice, really concentrating on my front scalp. Even after that didn't work, I decided to switch shampoos and try again, washing twice digging REALLY deep into my scalp. Again it didn't work so I ended up mentioning the situation to my dad and he said he had THE SAME THING when he was younger! He literally forced me to soak my scalp with apple cider vinegar which I didn't want to do because my hair was so thin. He said to soak it for 5-7 minutes. Then I hopped in the shower, washed it good with only shampoo, and it was gone! I blow dried my hair and I couldn't believe how clean it felt! He said I should put apple cider vinegar in two days again just in case. Thanks dad!!!!
I suffered from a persistent, waxy build up on my scalp for some years. It got so bad a couple of years ago that I just couldn't clean it from my scalp. It was particularly bad above my ears. I would scratch my scalp and be left with a thick, greasy wax that was a white/yellow colour under my nail. It was horrible. It made my hair look terrible - lank and greasy even when it was freshly washed. I tried natural remedies which I picked up from forums such as this, including washing my hair with vinegar, bicarbonate soda powder mixed with Johnson's baby shampoo, and lemon juice. This gave me some temporary relief but I smelt like a fish and chip shop! I was at my wits endand was just about to spend a significant amount of money visiting a private dermatologist when I walked into a pharmacy and noticed a shelf of 'medicated' shampoos. By this point I had worked out from the internet that I was probably suffering from seborrheic dermatitis. I bought every medicated shampoo for oily dandruff on that shelf and alternated them every day, massaging thoroughly into the scalp and sometimes doing two lots (I have to wash my hair every day). I have been able to control the condition ever since. My hair is a lot better than it used to be - not perfect but a LOT better. The ones I buy are:

Alphosyl
Oilatum
Ceanel
Polytar

Discovering these shampoos changed my life overnight. They can dry your hair out so use a good conditioner on the tips. I wish I had found out how to treat this problem earlier as I suffered for years, totally baffled about what I was suffering from and how to treat it. This is why I am posting this information now on any forum where people are talking about 'waxy dandruff'.
I tried a baby shampoo and it worked !!! It does not contain dimethicone which is a kind of silicon. I think that mandy1000 got the right insight!
YOu describe my sudden appearance of this at the crown , and spreading--exactly as I am experiencing.  What is the update?
I have tried many things including peanut butter, vinegar/water/soap, and conditioner+ diluted shampoo and the conclusion is none of them work. So vinegar/water/soap works for about a week and a half and same with conditioner+diluted shampoo. I've been searching for the solution all over the internet. I've found that you don't want to try any pantene products, baby powder seems to work from what I've heard, baking soda+dishwashing liquid+shampoo and conditioner work wonders, baby shampoo works for a couple of months, and some dandruff shampoos can help for a while. From reading a lot of posts from multiple sites, it looks like this hair problem is only ocurring in girls mostly ages 12-50+ from what I've read. Many have said that the greasy/sticky spot took about 6 months to go away and sometimes came back. I believe the cause is stress. The weird thing with my hair is that the spot is only on the left side of my head and nowhere else. I will be trying baking soda with dish washing liquid and shampoo+conditioner next.
I am having the same problem, and tried many things just like all of you.  After a week I got fed up and put dawn dish detergeant on the gross spot for about 5 minutes, rinsed it out then washed it with my regular shampoo and it was gone......for a day and a half and now it coming back.......im going to try the tea trea shampoo and see if that works, and if not then Dawn it is...lol....I am also going to my Dr. next week, because this is unacceptable will let you know if I find out any thing else.
This literally just started happening to me two days ago. I feel disgusting. My hair is heavy and weighed down to my scalp. I feel like I have had 5 pounds of hairspray and gel combined dumped on top of my hair. I can barely get a comb or a brush through it! I've read about it possibly being Seborrheic Dermatitis {never heard of it, nor did I know my hair could possibly be diseased} The past two days I've been forced to wear my hair in a bun because I was so embarrassed of the gunky texture to my hair. I am going to try baby shampoo first, then an anti dandruff shampoo, if that does not work I think I will pay a visit to the doc, granted dish soap and vinegar from my cabinet may be an easy fix, my hair is sensitive and I don't want it falling out or anything. I am open for suggestions! I just want my soft, thick, straight hair back :/
I get the exact same problem! I have been battling with Seborrheic Dermatitis my entire life, and have recently been getting the sticky/greasy patches on my scalp. I have found some solutions that work for myself. For keeping the Seborrheic Dermatitis in check, I use an anti-fungal shampoo (Nizoral brand) once to twice a week - any more dries out the end of my hair horribly. That diminishes the regular greasy waxy buildup. I have also found that I can't use shampoos that are creamy (especially not Head&Shoulders), but only the clear shampoos (silicon-free is another asset). Last week I used a creamy shampoo, and came out of the shower is a sticky patch right on the top of my head. It took me two washes with the Nizoral shampoo to get it mostly clear, only to have it come back again the next time I washed. The next day in the shower, I washed my hair with a clear, silicon-free shampoo, followed by my Nizoral shampoo, then finished with a white Vinegar rinse. I diluted 1 cup of vinegar in 1 cup of water, then poured it over my head and rubbed it in a little. I then rinsed with a little bit of water. And voila! The sticky patch was gone, and hasn't come back. Although, my hair did smell like vinegar for the next two days. I hope this helps someone, as long as they're okay with smelling like salt and vinegar chips every once in a while.
A few days ago, I switched varieties of Pantene shampoo, and suddenly my hair developed the same gross, waxy coating that the rest of you are talking about.  I switched shampoos again, and it didn't go away--that's when I started to freak out and frantically google for solutions.  I went to my local hair salon to get it washed, and even they couldn't get it out--they used an astringent called sea breeze that got out a tiny bit, but as soon as I washed my hair that night it came back worse than ever!

Thanks to this group, I was well-armed when I attacked my hair tonight.  I couldn't get my hands on any vinegar, but I had face wash, dish detergent, baby shampoo, and tea tree oil shampoo in addition to the 3 different varieties of shampoo I've tried over the past few days.  I tried a bit of the face wash first, and it ACTUALLY WORKED.  (Going on the tried-and-true "If my hair squeaks, it's clean" method of washing.)  This is Biore's cleansing-ice facewash, or something similar.  I followed up with the tea tree oil shampoo for backup--and I'm afraid the problem isn't gone for good, but this DEFINITELY made my hair feel a thousand times better.  Thank you all!!!!
hey! I just solved this exact same problem today. Ten days back I realized the oil at the crown area of my scalp was not going. I thought it was because of the hot and humid weather, but then I was washing my hair everyday and that too atleast 4 times (soap and shampoo) during every single bath. Well it suddenly came to me that it is not oil since oil can be easily dealt with soap or shampoo. It was waxy in nature. Wax does not dissolve in water and does not go away by using soap. So today I stood under hot water shower (so that it melts a little) then i applied CONDITIONER over it (since conditioner is waxy in nature too) I massaged the conditioner really well in that area for about 2-3 minutes (so that the wax gets dissolved in the conditioner) and then i washed it with a regular shampoo. And hey it was ALL GONE :) :) :)
I like most of you, have had that greasy, heavy, sticky spot on the crown of my head for months. Nothing would work to fix it. Until today. Yesterday I was reading all these posts, and decided to try some of your ideas. I went to the store and bought some baby shampoo, and some clarifying apple cider shampoo. I just got out of the shower and blow dried my hair. Voila beautiful light playful NON GREASY hair! All I did was: wash my hair with the baby shampoo, it still felt a little sticky when rinsing, so for good measures I washed my hair with the clarifying shampoo. It felt a lot better, but i couldn't be sure that it was gone. So I crossed my fingers and hoped and wished it was gone. I have long brown hair that is almost to my waist, so I HAVE to put conditioner in it or it will be a disaster. I only put the conditioner on the ends. Say you have a pony tail in your hair, only where the hair hangs, not on the scalp at all. My hair feels a little dry, but at least it's not greasy any more. I believe that its the silicone in the shampoos and conditioner that makes the greasy spot. I have about 5 different brands of shampoo, they all have the dimethicone in them.. No wonder changing shampoo wasnt working for me. I kept buying the wrong ones. Silly me. I am just so happy that this worked. Now I hope that just using a dimethicone free shampoo will keep it non greasy. I am going to keep using the baby shampoo for now, because #1 I have it, #2 It's dimethicone free, and #3 It's TEAR FREE :) I know that I am not the first to post that the baby shampoo and clarifying shampoo works, but IT DOES WORK! Thank you for everyone's help on here posting their problems and their fixes. :)
I had this same problem for the past week or so and a neutrogena clarifying shampoo and johnson's baby shampoo worked wonders! so puzzled as to what the cause of this could be though.
I went to the pool and my scalp got sunburned and then the greasy crown began...even after the soreness was gone my hair was oily and awful at the crown...I tried the Suave clarifying shampoo and original Listerine...after 2 shampoos my hair is normal again...It's been a month and the "greasies" haven't come back.
I'm not alone!!!!

I have been dealing with this for A YEAR. At first it was mild and I attributed it to a new color-safe shampoo from my salon. But by March it was so bad I was cleaning the sticky junk off my comb DAILY. Changing shampoos didn't help, and then I realized that this all started shortly after I changed to a new birth control. Maybe hormones play a role, as others have guessed?

I got some relief a few weeks ago when I got my hair colored. My stylist used a clarifying shampoo and my hair was back to feeling "buttery soft," as she put it.  But that only lasted about 2 weeks, and the sticky-head is back!! I have always shampooed every other day, but now I just feel embarrassed at work on the "no-shampoo" days. It looks awful. Greasy and frizzy and yuck. I plan on buying some tea tree oil shampoo tomorrow and trying that first. Fingers crossed!!
I'm so happy I found this board!  I got this "sticky scalp" about 3 days ago, funny enough I just switched my shampoo and conditioner a few weeks ago.  I switched back to what I had been using thinking that would work, but it didn't, and the "sticky" part of my hair stills smells like the other conditioner.  I'm going to go the the beauty supply store tonight and get a good clarifying shampoo, fingers crossed that it works because having my hair like this makes me feel so gross!
Just an update, I went to Sally Beauty last night, explained the problem and said I wanted the best clarifying shampoo they had.  The girl recommended Ion Clarifying Shampoo so that's what I bought.  I washed my hair this morning with it, the first wash there was no lather, I left it in for 3-4 minutes, rinsed and re-washed.  This time it lathered really well so I didn't let it sit long.  My hair looks and feels a lot cleaner, it's not 100% yet, so I'll be washing it again tonight and hopefully within the next day or so it will be back to normal.
I'm really exited about this board, I've been dealing with this weirdness for almost a month and im going insane, not to mention i didn't feel any better when my hair dresser was surprised as well with my 'gelled' roots. I wish for me it was as easy as going to the store and getting all these amazing products mentioned but unfortunatelly i'm currently living in South America and for the most part all those shampoos and stuff are kinda hard to find here :( HELP!!!
Oh, I am soo glad I found this thread! I was freaking out trying to figure out what nasty gunk was in my hair! Reading the posts does make me think it's hormones. I'm 34 and started to get really bad adult acne breakouts when this gunkiness started. Looking back, I had the same thing when I was about 12. It felt like numb bumps on my scalp and when I told my mom about it she had to scrape lumps of dry skin/oil/grease off my scalp with a comb. I noticed about 2 weeks ago a lot of new acne, even in my hairline where I never get it, and my scalp was itchy with "numb spots." What the numb spots ended up being were several finger-print sized patches, right on the top of my head, where the roots are a cemented to my scalp with a thick, white, waxy coating that I have to pry up off my scalp. D: The hairs are stuck to each other and it is nearly impossible to even pick this gunk out of my hair! It hurt really bad trying to get it out with my fingers and I ended up ripping some of my hairs out. My scalp is really sore where the patches are. It's terrible. My hair looks really dark and greasy and feels disgusting.  After reading the comments, I'm going to try my home-remedy lice shampoo on it and see how it does. It's dawn dish soap, vinegar, and tea tree oil.
HI!  I just had this happen to me.  Im a blonde currently working in Iraq and apparently after speaking to my friends here it happens to a lot of girls out here.  I hear apple cider vinegar works but alas i cannot get my hands on any....This was ongoing for me for about two weeks and hats became my best friend...

Solution: My friend out here happened to have some tea tree oil (brand:Finest Natural) I had never heard of it, nor do i ever use products such as this but i thought what the heck id try anything.  I dumped some on my scalp and left it there for two hours (def felt a nice tingle), showered with a clarifying shampoo, and right before bed i rubbed a little on my scalp for good measure.  When i woke up IT WAS COMPLETELY GONE!!!!! Tea tree oil is now a staple for my toiletries.
HI,
i m 21, i had perfect hair,bouncy normal, shiny hair,i never needed to wash my hair more than 2times a week,they would still be great on the third day after washing,but suddenly i found that my top part of scalp got greasy after 24 hours of washing,i donno wats happening,this started happening 2 weeks back.can anybody help?
Battling this problem for weeks. Just tried Neutrogena T-Sal Shampoo for Scalp Buildup...hair is still wet but I can already feel the difference. I think this may be the solution. will let you know. So happy to have found this forum, I thought I was losing my mind!
Hello everyone-i had this exact problem being described after having completely normal hair the rest of my life. I tried everything possible and finally went to my dermatologist who gave me ciclopirox shampoo 1% -its prescription, and i use that now-no conditioner and works!!! Thank G-d!! You have to wash your hair with it, leave it in for 3 mins and then wash out. If i switch to another shampoo, like if i go away and forget to bring it, i am in trouble as my hair goes back to its difficult disgusting self-i really hope this helps everyone as much as it helped me!!!!! I don't know if itll work for everyone-just rly wanted to tell you all abt it cuz i know what its like to have this problem and not know what to do or where to turn.
Hi everyone,
I have the exact same thing that happen to me. I came home that night and took a shower, immediately after my hair dry it got really sticky and greasy and hard ( I am a very clean person and highly concerned about my hair ) . So I thought I did not rinse enough, I jumped back and rinse several times with my Head and Shoulder shampoo. Things turned worse and I was pretty disappointed. I read a few things online and decided to try tea tree shampoo and conditioner. I went to Whole food and bought the brand Avalon ( make sure its organic and ask for SLS free. It worked immediately after the first try, my hair even gets softer and shinier. I am so happy now. if you cant get it at whole food or you dont have whole food around, I believe you can get it on amazon. please give it a try because it worked so perfectly on me. Just apply shampoo, and then conditioner. Its not expensive, I paid 19$ for shampoo and conditioner which I think totally worth it. please consider this before you put things like dish washer on your hair !
you might want to try the organic tea tree oil, brand avalon, i hope it would help
try tea tree oil shampoo, you can get it on amazon i guest. it works perfectly for me
has anyone heard of demodex? a tiny mite that lives on humans including hair. a person told me about this as i have been going through the same thing for over a year. this mite can also cause acne. i'm doing some research. would like for others to do the same and let us know what you find out. this mite normally lives on humans but may become over populated, maybe due to low immune system, and cause these symptoms. also known to get in eye lashes.
This has happened to me when I need to get my hair highlighted. Only a few times in the past year I would say. It would go away after I got my hair done and wouldn't return till time to color it again. So it happened and went to get my hair done she used some mixture to get it out.It worked. 2 days later it was back.and wasn't leaving:/ in a huge panic I googled it for days. I have done the vinegar and baking soda idea. I wet my hair and pour vinegar on the CROWN (just like everyone else is saying is the spot) of my head wait 10 minutes and I mix baking soda with my kids shampoo. It works BUT am I going to do this forever! The smell of the vinegar is pretty bad. What causes it? Whats the CURE? I didn't do the vinegar one time and it came back. could of been the Pantene shampoo. I rinse with cold water also. don't know what difference it makes. I will about try anytime at this point to get it to leave.I've read a lot about Accutane on other sites and a Fungal Infection. going to ask family doctor and dermatologist about this. I'm seriously about to lose my mind! Im slightly comforted that I'm not alone with it from this sites.
I had the same issue. It first started at the crown of my head. I read within this discussion that Listerine worked. Sadly after I used it, the stickiness went from the crown to the whole top part of my head. However, after I bought Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree oil shampoo from Sally Beauty Supply, about 80% of the stickiness went away! Then, a couple days later, I washed it again with that shampoo and it was gone. I honestly think that this is some kind of fungus on the scalp. Tea tree should help. Good luck guys. I understand your frustration. On the bright side, even though I only had this ordeal for about a week, I have been sticky free for a year now.
Hi all....
I have suffered with this problem for some time on and off....managed to get it under control using natural shampoos and APC Vinegar(live organic).  However it keeps coming back....and Im trying to get to the bottom of it...( I thought my hair was so badly damaged I almost had it cut off!) BUT its not damage and the lovely silky hair is still under there when you find the right cure...so dont give up there is hope!
The reason I am posting is...I am now thinking rather than grease and moisture being our problem...its coming from dryness of the scalp.....(which could explain why some have flare ups whilst abroad and after coloring hair)  The things we are doing removes the grease so we feel better and think we are cured....BUT they probably add to the main cause which I believe is a dry scalp!   We stay away from putting anything moisturising on the scalp for fear of causing the grease....when actually I believe our scalp is wanting moisture and is the reason it is over producing its own and causing our problems.   Here is what Im trying...Coconut oil (only use organic  extra virgin edible ) It comes in a tub a bit like a butter but dissolves easily. Yesterday I washed my hair and it was sticky at the back...(that dread feeling came over me as I know its on its way back!)  Last night when i went to bed I rubbed a littel coconut oil into the effected area ....half expecting my hair to be stuck when I awoke...BUT its not...it actually feels better...and the oil has gone into the scalp.   You can read about coconut oil benefits for hair and skin all over the internet... well worth some time IMO.  Anyway girls thats what Im trying...natural moisture for the scalp...OH coconut oil also has antifungal properties...so if it is fungal it should help that too. I also read to add a few drops tea tree oil to it...havent tried that yet...will see how i get on with just the coconut oil first.   Just thought I would give my thoughts...as lots of the things we are doing is going to dry our scalp... if the cause is I suspect lack of moisture all we are doing is stripping the grease (on temp basis) but doing nothing to address the cause.. hence why it keeps returning.   Just my thoughts...would appreciate comments...and GL ladies I know how horrid it makes us feel !!

i had a same problem, sticky hair only in my crown. look so gross:(.
i tried the mayonnaise with olive oil,it helped a little bit. i had to cut my hair, still not getting ok. So then i decided use regular oil of olay bar soap an no conditioner needed. then back to normal/shiny/and so light. its works for me. why don't you try it nothing to lose except the greasy and sticky in your hair.
I had this problem starting about 8 days ago.  Tried many things, none of which worked, so today I sprayed Apple Cider Vinegar on my hair (not diluted at all), let it sit about 15-20 minutes, washed, rinsed with more vinegar, washed again and used conditioner, and FINALLY my hair is back to normal again.  I was extremely grateful to all who recommended the apple cider vinegar!
Hi Everyone,

I just thought I would share what worked for me, as it was the most simple unexpected solution. Basically, I read on here that someone tried head and shoulders citrus fresh and left it on for a good 20 minutes, and that's what worked for them. I thought it sounded too simple but at this point I had literally tried everything from organic herbal treatments to weird and wonderful medicated shampoos. HEAD AND SHOULDERS CITRUS FRESH WORKED STRAIGHT AWAY, and now I just wash with it like a normal shampoo and don't even have to leave it for a long time..  I am so happy I could cry. no more smell whatsoever. It's worth a try if you're desperate like I was as it just might work for you too. I think it's the zinc that kills off the fugus which is what I suspected the problem was but for some reason herbal treatments didn't work... GOOD LUCK! :)
Hey everyone. I have had this problem happen to me many times actually.

The previous time nothing fixed my hair except switching to designline shampoo. I had to keep going to salon's and getting treatments done in order to get all the gunk out before trying designline and I nearly cried! I was using a mix of suave and Garnier Fructis shampoo before designline and both of them just built up on my hair every time.

So anyway, this time I ran out of designline shampoo and because my problem got better I decided to just go cheap and use Suave again....bad mistake. My hair was more than disgusting for three days up to about ten minutes ago when I just went and rebought Designline clarifying shampoo and used it. I actually used it twice because my hair was really gross....and it feels fine now! It could use maybe one more go to totally strip my hair down, but it worked nonetheless! It's back to being really soft and my hair doesn't have that sticky...greasy feel or odor anymore.

So, long story long...Go right now and buy Designline Clarifying shampoo, follow the directions, and then use designline from then on. I was using color treated for Designline and then switched to the regular shampoo and neither of them gave me nasty buildup. I also quit using conditioner all together for a long time and designline kept my hair soft regardless.

I'm so happy it helped once again because I have a wedding to attend this saturday and my hair was disgusting! I didn't even want the stylist to have to touch it. So, before you try covering your head with baking powder or any of the other remedies give this a try and let me know what you guys think. I hope it helps you as well!
HELP ME. I'm only 18 and just started out college. I've never had problems with oily skin or greasy hair. Like everyone else said, at first I thought I had just left conditioner in my hair, but the next night I made sure to scrub extra hard and the stickiness and greasiness came back even worse. I switched shampoos and that seemed to help a little but it's still greasy and sticky on one side of my head and I don't know what to do! I know it's not scalp fungus because my head isn't itchy and I don't have any red rings or spots. It's literally the most aggravating thing because my hair looks and feel gross all the time. And when it comes to strightening my hair I can't anymore because it looks even more greasy. And my hair seems to fall out a lot. I have no idea what to do. :( but it makes me so self conscious I refrain from going out on weekends.
I just recently got over this problem. I started using head and shoulders a year ago. All of a sudden, my hair started getting greasy only at the crown and roots right after showermping. I thought it might have something to do with the time of year it started happening (when it started getting cold out) or maybe some sort of chemical build-up (head and shoulders contains some form of zinc). So, I switched shampoos to Herbal-Essence "drama clean," and after the very first wash, I noticed a dramatic difference. No greasy crown, no sticky roots. I will probably still use head and shoulders when my dandruff gets bad, but for now, I'm sticking with Herbal-Essence. If you're having the same problem, give it a try.  
I had the same problem of a waxy crown for about 2 months. I am in the medical profession and am very skeptical of all of these home remedies. I wasn't going to try anything that would make all of my hair fall out or turn purple, but I did try the paul mitchell clarifying shampoo and a pureology clarifying shampoo multiple times..neither worked. I went as far as soaking my hair in listerine, which did not work. I started drinking these soy protein shakes two weeks prior to the onset of the problem and I stopped them about a week after I noticed the problem, thinking there was a connection. It was not a fungal infection (not to say someone could not have one), but I believe my body was ridding itself of a toxin/access protein. I decided that I would have to wait it out, but after a few more weeks, I went to the store and desperately sought out a new shampoo/conditioning system because I had not changed from what I had been using successfully for 2+ years. In short, TRY PANTENE AQUA LIGHT!!!!!! My scalp is finally back to normal and has been for a good month now. Give it at least 2 days. I really hope it works for others out there; it was the most disgusting feeling and I really felt bad about myself and that others could tell.
I had this exact problem after using Head and Shoulders will Almond Oil for the first time, after reading your post regarding dimethicone, I checked the ingredients and sure enough, its contains dimethicone!!  Out of desperation I washed my hair with my husbands Radox Hair and Body wash.  Theres a definite improvement but will need a few more washes.  I will be avoiding this ingredient from now on.  Thanks for the heads up!!
Hello and THANK you for posting so much on this subject!
I also had this problem for the first time this fall, I'm 23 and live in Greece. So I couldn't find any of the US or UK products some of you recommended, but I did try a loooong wash with Johnson's baby shampoo, and my sticky crown is gone!!!

So yes, as some of you said, before doing anything drastic try washing it for 10 minutes with (Johnson's) baby shampoo, I hope it'll do it for you too. It's not expensive and for sure will not make the situation worse.

THANKS AGAIN you guys!!!
Thanks for all of this information.  I also had this problem for the first time this past week and have never experienced anything like it - the crown of my head just became greasy and looked unwashed.  As I have curly hair, I normally wash every other day, but this week have had to wash every day to control the grease.  

Today I tried a number of the remedies mentioned on this board and while I'm not 100% back to normal, it is a lot better.  I'll post back later this week to let you know if my plan is still working.  

This was what I did today:
- first, I mixed lemon juice, vinegar and some listerine and massaged handfuls of it into my crown, and then let it soak in for about 15 minutes.
- I jumped in the shower and poured more of the mixture in
- Then massaged Klorane Nettle Shampoo into my hair (purchased at Duane Reade for $18) as it is supposed to help remove oil/grease
- Then massaged Neutrogena T/Gel in
- Then massaged Organix Tea Tree Mint Shampoo in (both Duane Reades near my apartment were out of Paul Mitchell)
- It seemed to be working, but after rinsing everything out it was still greasy.  I then used a little palmolive (whatever I had in my kitchen - it says power grease remover) with the tea tree shampoo, and that helped.
- Finally, I massaged in a small mix of the tea tree shampoo + T/Gel

There is significantly less grease, but I can still feel it a bit.  Tomorrow I'm going to try just the Tea Tree Shampoo + T/Gel and will post back.

Thank you!  So glad to know it isn't just me with this annoying issue.
Viewing 201-310 comments: