Sticky / Oily / Greasy scalp?!?
I have an weird sticky substance in my hair that NOTHING will get rid of and it's extremely frustrating.  About a month ago i noticed after i got out of the shower and blow dried my hair that the hair at the crown of my head was very oily and sticky (but ONLY at the crown of my head). At first i thought i forgot to wash the conditioner out so the next night I scrubbed thoroughly, but once again the stickiness was still there.  Then i bought a few different brands of clarifying shampoo (thinking it was build-up) and still the same thing.  The oil is def coming from my scalp because at the same time that this happened I started breaking out with acne really bad.  I'm 27 years old and have not broken out this bad since puberty.  Very strange.  So i went to the extremes of trying baking soda, lemon juice, listerine, medicated shampoos, even dawn (for it's grease cutting abilities) and NOTHING gets this substance out of my hair.  It's driving me crazy to the point that i asked my dermatologist to put me on accutane to stop oil secretions.  Has anyone experienced this problem before, and if so, do you know of anything that will get my scalp back to normal.  PS - it has nothing to do with my diet, because i eat extremely healthy and always have.
I have this same exact problem.  My doctor put me on acutane too because right around when i got the stickiness of the scalp i started getting bad acne too.  My sticky hair went away while i was taking acutane but came back a couple months after I stopped taking acutane.  It is an extremley frustrating problem. I found the thing that helps for a couple to few weeks is dying my hair and/or getting a scalp treatment at the hair salon.  Let me know if you find a remedy that works on a daily basis!
Thank you for replying!  Did your doctor tell you what might be causing it??  I've found ways to "manage" it but not to cure it.  Until i start the accutane I've been shampooing with Palmolive.  I know it sounds funny but it's the only thing that was able to break up the residue around the crown of my head - i usually do two rinses with palmolive (around the crown) and then use a clarifying shampoo on the rest of my head.  The only thing is i have to deep condition every time because it's very drying to my hair.  I wanted to ask you, i kind of have two theories of why this may be happening...around the time it started did you notice that you were eating more candy / sweets than usual?  I noticed that it started around the holidays when i was eating more junk food and sugar so i'm trying to cut back on sugar to see if that helps - also i was thinking that it might have something to do with the extreme cold - did you get any of these symptoms over the summer?  Let me know if you have any other tricks or if you find a more permanent solution.

Best!
HI,
i had the same problem for almost two weeks, i tried using different kinds of shampoos but it didnt work, i even changed the pillow cases everyday thinking that might help..but still the problem was never solved..it was so frustrating..

but today as i was going through some website i read and article that said to mix 1/2 cup of vinegar with 1/3 water and rub it on the scalp and leave it for 5 minutes then shampoo and rinse..
so i gave it a try.i had no choice..and for my surprise it WORKED!!!!
i dont know if it works with everyone..but why not try it and figure out..
Goodluck!!
http://www.ehow.com/how_4472155_clarify-hair-vinegar.html

I have been reading these threads for 5 days, experiencing the same "out of the blue "p problems and was getting very frustrated that everyone had suggestions, but no one said what actually worked.

I did the Vinegar clarify recipe above and it took all the greasy, stickiness out immediatley. I just did it 15 minutes ago, so no idea yeat how it will hold up over time, or if I will have to make vinegar part of the routine.
The reason I think the  vinager might work is because it is not only acidic but it is a natural anit fungal. Read up on Scalp Fungas and I think you will find the key to your issues. I am a hairdresser and find so often people can and do get a fungas in the warmer reagions of there head due to sweat , or not drying there hair , high humidity. To the woman that found it in the crown of there head i would like to ask if you were in the habit of wearing a pony tail ? Closing off the breathing ability of that affected area to help make a breading ground for a fungas randraking@gmail is my e mail and would like some feed back if an anti- fungal helps.
I have the same problem with the sticky, waxy, greasy hair on the crown of my head. I've also been reading different posts on the internet. I don't use any hair products except nice & easy to color my hair and shampoo and creme rinse.

I've noticed that it happens to my hair in the spring, and eventually subsides. I also tried a variety of shampoos (including medicated) and they didn't work.  I did read about the vinegar and water treatment and I'm so glad others have posted that it works! I'm going to try it tomorrow!

For nsummer, I have long hair and I never put it up in a ponytail. After doing some research, I believe it is an over production and build up of sebum on the scalp.   I have had acne problems,  have rosacea, and my skin and hair is very oily. I found balancing shampoos on line that are supposed to prevent sebum build up. Aveda is one of them, but I haven't tried it.

Sebum: substance with an oily consistency produced by the sebaceous glands. It lubricates hair, is an antifungal/antibacterial, and imparts waterproofing properties to the skin.

It's a relief to know that I'm not some freak. I thought I was the only one with this hair problem and it's baffled and frustrated me for a long time.

Thank you to everyone for posting on this topic. I will post the results of the vinegar treatment.

I am the same way - i have acne and an overproduction of oil.  I recently went on accutane and it cleared up the scalp promblem but shortly after i stopped taking the pills my face became extremely oily.  I also experimented with a pill called spironolactone which seemed to supress the oil production by blocking androgen but unfortunately i stopped that too becasue it was giving me heart palpatations...... (sigh)..... i'm looking into a more holistic approach now.

Best.
Hi Jersey,

I know exactly what you're dealing with when it comes to the sticky waxy greasy hair, and it's horrible, frustrating and nobody knows what it is or how to fix it. Trust me; I've been looking for an answer.

I tried the vinegar rinse after shampooing and it didn't work very well. Immediately after, I made it stronger 2/3 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup water and put it in my hair and rubbed it on the sticky spots and all over my scalp. I left it in my hair for 10 minutes and rinsed it out, then used my shampoo and creme rinse;  it made a huge difference. It didn't get all of the stickiness out, but it was about 90% better. I read blondes should use lemon juice and brunettes vinegar because of the effect they both have on a person's hair color.

I also switched to a sulfate and pabin free shampoo - Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo and creme rinse - you can get it really cheap at Vitacost.com. $4.63. I've used it about 3 times and it's great!I  There's about 125 reviews on the website and they're all positive.

Maybe the combination of the new shampoo with the vinegar rinse made the difference. Have you tired a sulfate free shampoo?

I've had really oily skin and hair since puberty, the rosacea kicked in around my mid-30s.  The best skin treatment I ever had was a pulse light treatment, cleared up the rosacea, acne, oily skin for 4 months. It was the fist time I had clear skin since the age of 12. It was actually weird to see myself in the mirror.

The dermatologist said it would take about 6 treatments for my particular skin and then once a year after to maintain.  I would have completed the treatment but insurance doesn't cover it and I haven't had the money.  I highly recommend it if you can afford to do it. You'll be amazed, not only does it clear up the skin problems but it also zaps fine lines, wrinkles and sun damage as a side benefit. I found the Laser Surgery Center of New Jersey - Dr. Sandy Milgraum - she's been on numerous TV shows so she's looks very reputable. I'm going to call to check the prices. She has a website if you want to look into it.

One thing that I found by accident that really works on my skin is double anti-biotic ointment (helps prevent infection from minor cuts, scrapes and burns) from Rite Aide, it's Rite Aide's brand. I use it every night and I've noticed a huge difference in my skin.  Less breakouts, rosacea is less noticible and if I get a pimple it's smaller and clears up faster. Plus it's dirt cheap and one little tube lasts forever. For the time being, it fits my price range.

If I find another solution for the sticky hair; I'll definitely post it here. I thought about writing to Doctor Nancy Snyderman from the Today Show hoping she would come up with some new information.

Hang in there.
Indy
Thanks for the response Indy.  I actually went to Dr S. Milgraum before.  He (it's a man) is the first person to have put me on accutane when i was 17. Unfortunately he's so sought after he doesn't take insurance.  But my derm now is great because he pretty much puts me on anything i ask him to.  I've been curious about the lazer treatment but thought it would be better suited for someone with just acne and not overproduction of oil.  I figured how can it make oil production less from the skin's surface.  But you're saying that it helped with the oil??  I may have to give that a try.... how much did you pay for your treatment?  at this point i'll try anything.  I'm experimenting with spearmint tea right now.  Its actually pretty gross and it tastes like toothpaste but i've heard that it effects the hormones in a way to block the absorption of androgen in females and hence, lessens oil production and acne and also makes your hair grow better so i'll see if that helps.  I def think my problem is hormonal because of the extreme difference in oil based on my cycle.... not to mention that i had amazing skin before puberty.  I actually use the antibiotic onintment too! funny you should mention that... i guess we both had teh same idea!  You should def write to that Dr.... you never know.  I know that the couple of derms i've been to think i'm crazy..., they say "i don't think your scalp is that oily".... they really have no idea that theres a whole community of people out there with this problem.
Hi Jersey,

I have great news - I've been using the Giovanni Tee Tree Triple Treat Shampoo and creme rinse for a week and the sticky greasy hair is gone! My hair hasn't looked this good in years. Give it a try!  It's not expensive on Vita.com it's $4.63 each. I purchased mine at Walgreens and it was $8.00 each.

When I had the laster treatment done, it cost $300.00 for a full facial treatment. That was about 5 years ago. I went to see an ocular plastic surgeon/ dermatologist to have a bump removed that was near my eye - Dr. Wulc in Bucks County, PA. Dr. Wulc does all kinds of plastic surgery, but he also specializes in problems near and on the eyes.

Dr. Wulc was the first one to tell me I had rosacea. I can't tell you how many doctors I asked about the redness of my skin and the broken blood vessels on my nose who told me it was from drinking. The irony of that ridiculous diagnosis is my husband was an alcoholic. I thought I was channeling Dorian Gray, he drank and my blood vessels broke. It just goes to show you how uninformed doctors can be.

Anyway, Dr. Wulc had a technician at his office who did laser treatments. Dr. Wulc also had rosacea (his skin looked perfect) and he said 6 treatments then once a year there after for maintenance. I started the treatments but my finances changed and I had to stop. My skin never looked so good and it was normal for about 4 months. My face looks like I wetted it down with mazola oil about 2 hours after I wash it and put on make up. I blot with tissues all day long. After the treatment, no oil, no acne, the blood vessels were all but gone and the redness gone.  I had normal skin for the first time since puberty. As soon as my finances permit; I won't hesitate to have the treatments done.

I wrote to Dr. Nancy Snyderman from the Today Show about the sticky hair after I wrote it in my comments to you; I'll let you know if I get a response. I'm just amazed the Giovanni shampoo did the trick. Today is the first day my hair is sticky waxy greasy free.  If you give it a shot, let me know if it works for you, too.

Indy
So I had the exact same problem and it is a relief to know that I was not the only one. I came onto this site and tired a few of the remedies. I tired the 1/2 vinegar with 2/3 water. It didn't work at all for me. After I used dish wash soap and I started noticing a difference. I washed my hair with it for twice a day for 2 days and it is 95% gone. The only thing now is that from washing my hair so much my scalp is a bit itchy, but whatever I'd rather have that then sticky hair. I'm going to start using Nizoral shampoo to take the itchiness away plus it is supposed to take the sticky/wax away the pharmacist said to use it 3 times a week and hopefully it will bring my hair back to normal. Do not bother changing shampoos or going out and trying out different products just use the dish wash it will work. Hope this helps!
Hi guys!  I've been having the same oily crown problem too for about 2 weeks.  It is so weir and SOOOO frusterating!  I tried dish soap, it didn't work.  Mine seems to already be oily withing minutes of my showers.  I can't believe that this hasn't been diagnosed yet.  

I recently changed my birth control pill (2 months ago) to Microgestin.  I am also taking an anti-fungal oral pill (for about 2 months as well) because my toenail fell off and I didn't want to get a fungus.  Its called Terbinafine.  I also take a Kirkland brand multi-vitamin each day.  As far as my diet, well, I started eating a high-protein, lots of fruits & veggies diet about a month ago, but about 2 weeks ago, fell off the wagon.  (lol)  I don't eat "bad" per say, but more junkier than I should.  I am also a senior in college and working towards a double major, which is pretty stressful.  I read that sudden changes like this, is stress related and hormonal.  I was wondering if any of you experienced this.  

Oh, I also had my gallbladder out in 2005.  I found a site that talked about the oily crown issues and found that some people who experience this have had their gallbladders out as well.

As far as my skin goes, well its pretty healthy.  It always has been.  I am 27 and have never really experienced breakouts even to this day.

I would like to try the Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo, as well as the vinegar remedy to see it it helps.

Does anybody have any feedback on if/how/when their suddenly oily crown problem was corrected???  I am newley engaged and am really scared this will effect my hair on my wedding day.  :'(

Oh, PS.... I noticed a lot of people report this problem in the warmer months.  I am from Washington State and it is the middle of October now that I am experiencing this!  -A friend of mine that is a hair dresser said its from the weather change (warm-cold).  She said its like allergies suddenly developing in life.  She said some people just "develop" a sensetivity to weather and experience this.  

????  So frusterating.  Any and ALL feedback is greatly appreciated!!!
This happened to me a few months ago. I woke up one day and my usual light, flowy hair was suddenly super sticky and greasy just at the crown of my head. I had done nothing differently and showered like normal the night before. Thinking that my shampoo was doing it, I went out and bought 2 different clarifying shampoos. None of them worked. Then, I remembered that I had once used Selsun Blue shampoo to help cure some skin fungus I had. So I thought, why not? I'll try it out. The first time I used it, it helped ALOT. I used it every day for the first few days, then progressively less and less, until I was down to using it once a week. Once my hair returned to normal, I started using regular shampoo again. HOPE THIS HELPS!!
I have the same sticky crown problem...I have had this about 5 times over a two year period
The only thing I have fow=und to work so far is a fungal creme my mother had.  I read someplace it was a fungas and I used it .  Just rubbed some on now and will leave it in overnight.

Can you all let me know if you think your hair is thinking out at the back of the crown since you experienced this condition?

I have the same waxy sticky buildup and am going to do the vinegar, but does it make your hair smell??
Lauren,

If you wash it out with some shampoo there should be no smell.
Let the vinegar soak before you take a shower... then wash as normal.
I have this disgusting sticky, oily, waxy hair-on-the-crown-of your head only - PROBLEM too!!  I am so glad I found this website.  It makes me feel less crazy.  

I am going to try the vinegar/water solution first today, and if that doesn't work, I'll try the 4 capfuls of Listerine option next.  

Just for anyone who is trying to research, or just to know... I am a 31 year old female, with long, thick brunette hair.  I am not using a hormonal form of birth control, I use an IUD (intra-uterine device) - that is copper only.  I have no changed my diet significantly, and I believe I eat "moderately" healthy.  Plenty of protein veggies and carbs, and fair share of "bad" foods too.  
I have had occasional, moderate acne for most of my life.  My acne was really bad for the 2 years surrounding my pregnancy.  Now, I only get breakouts usually during my period.  
I have always had a scalp that produced oil enough to need a shower each day, or hair would look just a bit greasy by the 2nd day.

My problem started just a few days ago, in mid-late-December 2009.  I have searched all over online, and this site seems to be the most helpful.

Thank you all for posting, and PLEASE, if anyone finds a better answer from a DERMATOLOGIST, please let us know!  Thanks!!!  
I noticed that the last time I experienced this was around the "holidays" last year. I was fine for the rest of the year, and now it is coming back again. I figured that it happens around this time because I eat a LOT of sugary foods....you know, parties, people bringing snacks / baked goods / candy in to work. So I skipped all forms of sugar for an entire day and my scalp and face had about 75% less oil than usual when I woke up the next day. I believe this might be a SUGAR induced problem.. Have you been eating more candy than usual lately?
I am 52 years old and my sticky, greasy hair problem started after I had a sinus infection and was perscribed a Z pack to take.  Two days after I completed the Z pack was when I first noticed my hair problem.  Like many of you, I have scrubbed my hair until my fingers and hand ache.

I am going to try all of your suggestions.  I have already changed my shampoo 4 different time and yet nothing helps.  I am about ready to pull my hair out!!

I will let you all know how your suggestions work.  Thanks for the tips!!
I had the same awful sticky gross problem and was at my wits end.  I saw the suggestion to use Listerine after washing with a clarifying shampoo on another thread related to sticky/greasy hair.  And IT WORKS!!!!  I had already tried the clarifying shampoo alone, Selsun Blue, baking soda + shampoo, vingar rinse, not washing, washing several times (which made it way worse).  Nothing helped.  Like many of you, my issue came right out of the blue - no changes in diet, products used in my hair, etc.

What I did was I bought a clarifying shampoo from Sally Beauty Supply and bought a big jug of Listerine - the classic kind - its yellow/brownish.  I washed real good with the clarifying shampoo, rinsed well, and then poured 4 or 5 capfuls of the Listerine on the problem area.  I let it set in for a few minutes, massaged it around slightly, and then I rinsed it out.  I did put conditioner on my ends because all this really does a number on your hair.

I don't know how it works, or why it works, but the problem was about 90% better.  The next day I did the same process and it all went away.  FINALLY!!   The third day I went back to regular shampoo and used just one last capful of listerine after washing just for good measure.  The 4th day and since I've been sticking to a good quality shampoo and conditioner.  No further issues.  I should warn that your hair will smell like Listerine when you do this treatment - but it's not that bad, and well worth having "normal" hair back.  And the smell totally washes out once you are done with the Listerine treatment itself.  

Good luck!  
I just started getting sticky hair too! About a month or maybe two months ago. On my crown.  I don't think it's my shampoo (Dove) because I've used it many times in the past and this has never happened to me before.  I switch around shampoos often.  I always always rinse my hair of conditioner in the shower.  I thought it might be because I put my hair up in a towel right after I get out of the shower and keep it that way for abt. 30 min while I do makeup and whatnot. So all my hair is basically piled on the top of my head in the towel.  But I've been doing that all my life...why did this just start? So I'm counting that theory out.  I've started rubbing tea tree oil on my crown.  I've done this for 3 days and so far it's not helping. My hair has never been oily. Or scalp. In fact, it's still not oily.  It's just my hair in that one spot is always sticky and LOOKS greasy.  The area is about 4 inches diameter.  It has to be something. I refuse to believe it is caused by a product because we are all using different products.  I don't want a temporary fix although I'm going to have to try the vinegar thing now...but I really want to know what is causing this.  It's kind of scaring me now that I see it's something we are all getting. Same symptoms.  Is anyone stressed? My boyfriend says it might be caused by stress.  But I've been STRESSED  to the point of anxiety attacks and football sized knots in my stomach...and never any sticky hair. I don't use styling products and I use a big tooth comb..not a brush.  It's winter. It literally just showed up in one day...not gradually...and just stayed that way. I don't wear hats. Anyway it's annoying.
I am having the same problem, it just came out of the blue beginning of January and has been driving me nuts.  I actually sat in the shower rinsing my hair for 10 minutes the other day trying to fix it.  I originally thought it was because my boyfriend would brush his hair with gel in it and the gel would get on the brush, so, I bought another brush but still there.  I am going to try the Listerine thing first because it smells better than Vinegar.  My shampoo varies from Panteen and Dove different kinds.  My friend is a hair dresser and the only thing she can think of is most of the shampoos from Grocery stores (Panteen, Dove, Sauve...) are loaded with Oils and Plastic so this will eventually coat your hair and scalp.  I asked why just the crown of my head and her answer was because this is where most of the oils in the head are produced.

So I will give it a try and let everyone know how it worked.
Ok, I tried the Listerine and bought Neutregina (spelling) and I have to say my hair is 90% better.  I have been living with this for a month now and in one night it is better.  I wish I looked this up sooner.
I have had this problem a few times over the last few years and normally I just soak my hair in vinegar, and it works the first time. However it came back the other day, i think perhaps because of hormones as it has happened before when it has been my time of the month. When the vinegar didn't work I looked on forums online for suggestions, most people jus suggested changing shampoo, which as we all know doesn't work, at least not straight away. Anyway I ended up using bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and making a paste with some grease cutting washing-up liquid. I rubbed it in to the scalp, left it a few minutes, then rinsed, and then repeated the treatment a few times. I've jus blow dryed my hair, and its lovely and soft and no more stickiness!!
Hope this helps anyone who needs more ideas!
p.s. the washing-up liquid was lemon flavoured too so no vinegary smell to wash out!
I had the same awful problem for about a month and it wasnt oily...it was kinda sticky and too bad vinegar didnt work for me... so i tried putting some olive oil on my hair and scalp and leave it on for a day then i shampood with a shampoo called Sebamed and it actually worked!!!!
GOOD LUCK!!!
http://www.natural-woman.com/shopimages/products/normal/sebamedshampoo.jpg
I am so glad I found you guys out there with this problem!!! Just a few weeks ago in Jan. 2010 we had a huge snow storm......All of a sudden one night after I showered my hair turned out the same way!!! And it won't go back!!!! I thought it was something in the water so I tried using distilled water.....it went away a little bit but overall it was just as bad!!!! It is only on the crown of my head? What would you guys say is the thing that has worked the best???? I'm just SOO READY for my beautiful normal hair to be back! Why does it all of a sudden do this????
Same as all of you ladies. A week ago I started getting oily hair after a liftime of doing everything I could to have my dry hair be smoother. I noticed my sky changing too. The only difference in my routine was that I stopped using splenda and started using brown unrefined sugar since it's healthier and I have been dieting and eating better than ever. My stress levels are reasonable. I am 44 and do have some early signs of menopause. I am going to try the vinegar and tea tree shampoo and see what that will do and swing back to post the results.
This happened to me right after i used a conditoner from nice and easy hair color. I freaked out couldnt figure what was going on. After reading every single comment, i used dish soap, whihc helped a bit but i coudl feel it there still, i bought sauve claifyer used listerine, that helped a bit the third day i boguht jojobo shampoo at the health food store and its gone, i think its a combination problem of clogged pores and certain products that clogged it, I will however never use nice and easy hair color again no matter what, i think that was the root of the problem and i think the jojoba balanced my hair back to normal. good luck!
It's so nice to read that I'm not the only sticky headed person out there. Seriously, it happened overnight. I thought I had forgotten to rinse out the conditioner yesterday & then today it's 10 times worse. It's seriously hideous. How can it happen overnight? it's like some evil hair hating person flicks a switch & whola! Sticky hair. Just tried GHD Purifying shampoo - it looks a little better after 2 shampoos. Will attempt again in the morning & pray overnight that the whole event was a nasty dream. I think I'll also try the tea tree shampoo too. Does anyone know why this happens? it's so not nice.
my sticky haired issue started a few weeks ago; i started a new job and thought it was stress. its so frustrating its in one particular spot on my crown to the left of my parting; and when i wash and blow dry my hair it goes all sticky. i have long brown hair and always wear it down; but because of this i cant and lately if i do wear it down its greasy by the end of the day. i tried not washing it.. made it worse...tried different shampoos dove, pantene, herbal essence, head & shoulders its all made it worse; tried jst conditioning the ends= worse. tried lots of conditioner =worse tried not conditioning atall =worse. tried not blow drying it = no difference. So now im off to try the vinegar and VO5 shampoo and hope this works too fed up of sticky hair.. if this doesnt then its listerine and if not there is no hope...
the vinegar solution works!!!! so happy; dont know how long will last but very happy with initital results
Amanda,
The polmolive works - you have to lather and let it sit, but it works.
I posted a comment a few weeks ago & have had success with GHD Purifying Shampoo. The sticky hair issue totally disappeared after the second use. I used this for a week but found it made my hair rather dry as I didn't use conditioner & it's not a long term shampoo. Tried to use supermarket shampoos again & could feel my hair was becoming dull looking & didn't want to go through the sticky hair thing again. I have been using a natural shampoo & conditioner now for 2 weeks & all seems well. The brand is 'Al'chemy' but is Australian made. I'm sure you would all have something similar. There are no parabens or sulfates, just natural botanical ingredients. Wondering if this is a hormonal issue?
Thank god I found this website my hair is driving me nuts!!!! My roots of my hair are so greasy!!! It looks wet and feels so gross. My hair has never done this before my hair has always been soft and bouncy and now it looks awful :( I don't get it???

I've used dish soap, a box of baking soda, 3 different types of clarifying shampoo like pantene, neutogena, herbal essence and nothing is working. I've been washing my hair like 4 times a day and it's not getting better.

Thanks ladies for all the suggestions, I'm gonna try listerine, vinegar and selsun blue and see what helps. I'll post the outcome.
I just tried listerine and my hair feels like 90% better :) :) :) :) :)

I just wet down my hair and poured about 4-5 cap fulls on my scale and rubbed it in the added neutrogena clarifying shampoo and let it sit for about 2 mintues and rinsed my hair out then washed it again with the same shampoo then didn't use conditioner and my hair feels like hair and really smells like listerine and scape is tingling a little who cares my hair is feeling better.

I'm gonna wash it like that again in the morning. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the suggestion!!!! It made my day :) :)

I used listerine again this morning and my hair is perfect :) I left it on my wet hair for about 15 minutes then washed twice with neutrogena clarifying shampoo and didn't use and conditioner on my roots and the greasy is all gone..

Hope this helps :)
Hello ladies. I have had the same problem...all of a sudden, out of the blue, sticky hair. At first I was describing it to my family and friends as oily, but really it is sticky, sap-like. It started on the top, right side of my head. Now it seems to be spreading a bit to the middle, top of my head. The only changes that have been made lately is that I started taking Beach Body Slimming Formula about a month ago. But no other changes. Is anyone else taking this?

I've also read a few posts that it is thought to be a fungal problem on the scalp. I have read the suggestions to use a variety of things: vinegar, lemon juice, Palmolive, anti-fungal shampoo, clarifying shampoo, Listerine. I'm going to try the Palmolive and clarifying shampoo first, along with the anti-fungal shampoo. If I see no difference within a few days, I will try the Listerine. Has anyone just tried the anti-fungal shampoo and saw a difference? I will post again within a week to let you know my results.

Thanks to everyone for posting...I am sorry that this is happening to us all, but glad to know that I'm not in this alone!
Can someone please help? Im in tears. I've always had beautiful, thick silky hair until about a week ago, I awoke to a greasy mess but ONLY in my crown area. I washed my hair like normal that day and changed my pillow cases, just in case. But just minutes after showering, i can already see the greasy substance starting to show in my crown. I dont understand. Im a very clean person. Im 23 y/o healthy female. My mom thinks Im pregnant. Someone else suggested hormones. Im clueless. Ive not changed my diet, lifestyle, shampoos or soap. No new meds. have not moved recently either. PLEASE HELP!!!
I just tried the Listerine treatment because I had some on hand (vanilla mint - actually smells pretty good in my hair!), and it worked very well! The stickiness isn't completely gone, but I am thinking that one or two more treatments should take care of it. I washed it out with my regular shampoo and even conditioned so my hair wouldn't overreact to the harsh treatment and produce more oil.

One of the most important things is to remember to clean everything - pillowcases, towels, brushes, and combs - when it starts to clear up! Hopefully this will keep it from returning!

As an added note to the acne sufferers - I have recently tried using the Neutrogena makeup line and have fallen in love with it! It's a comfort to be able to cover the embarrassing redness and know that your makeup isn't doing added damage - in fact, it's working during the day to clear it up!
About a month ago i colored my hair with nice n easy, then used their treatment...immediatley after rinsing there was a HUGE spot of greasy hair mainly on the left side of the crown of my head. Just like everyone else i thought i didnt rinse well, so i jumped back in and only washed w/ shampoo. The spot is still there! It has dissipated since, but isnt completely gone. I read all the other comments ladies posted, and saw only one other person who had used a treatment. I dont think it is from the scalp, because the spot is about 2 inches from my roots.  I do however have problems with dandruff and i use a ketaconazole shampoo once a month or so.  So who knows...i will try the palmolive...i work in the veterinary field and thats what we use to strip oil off the coats of animals.  I know this isnt super helpful, but i thought id add my 2 cents.
Had been suffering for a few weeks with what everyone has noted in the crown of what is normally my very nice hair.
Just tried the bi-carb soda and palmolive mix (as a paste) and it worked at treat!!
Made it up so it was runny enough to massage around and left in for 5-10 minutes then rinsed out. I didn't wash my hair with any shampoo afterwards and just conditioned the ends with normal run of the mill supermarket conditioner.
I get the impression I will need to do this again, but for such good results after a period of frustration at what I thought was going to be a unsolvable problem, I am grateful for all who posted info above as would have been lost for a solution had it not been for this site and your comments.
Thanks :)
I have had this greasy crown situation going on for about two weeks.  I kept having to wear my hair up in a ponytail.  I went to the bathroom at work and almost started crying b/c it looked awful.  I decided I couldnt take it anymore.  So at lunch, I went and got a clairfying treatment.  Then I picked up tea tree shampoo and conditioner.  It's been two days now and no greasy spot..my hair feels normal again.  The tea tree shampoo tingles on your scalp..so I feel like it's working.  I tried clairifying shampoos at home, but that just made my ends really dry.  So now I put the tea tree shampoo on my scalp and let it sit for a few minutes..then i put conditioner to my ends only...hope this helps!  It has certainly made a difference for me.
I began to have the similar waxy/ oily scalp on the crown or my hair. I would wash my entire head with one shampoo hoping it would work but that one spot would be so waxy and gross so i would have to use a clarifying shampoo on that spot. I found that using Gilchrist and Soames Sprout out shampoo and conditioner (its is sulfate, and p-something, tea free, and something else free) keeps the grease and waxiness away. And it smells good, not medicinal. It is available on their website, and costs $24.00 for shampoo and conditioner duo. It really helped me.
I felt sickened when i first saw this was happening to my hair, i normally have shiny long brown hair, everyone used to complement how nice it was & now its a sticky greasy mess, im so embarrased about it because its so noticeable, and i leave my house everyday conscious and depressed about it. I only looked about results tonight and i thought it was just me who had this problem. I thought it was because i get in the same bath after my sister in the morning, and the conditioner would just rinse into the already condtioned water. I am pleased with the amount of advice on here, and i am going to try the vinegar tomorrow, if not i will try everything on here! because i am putting up with this any longer. its driving me mad. Hope all your hair problems get sorted.
I will post about mine tomorrow night.
I will post about mine tomorrow night.
so tonight i used fairy up liquid on my hair and scrubbed like MAD! it works! and now my hair is soft again, not sure if its a long term fix but im gunner keep doing it anyway xD
I too have had the joyful experience of the sticky scalp situation.  I tried the vinegar/water rinse and it did make a difference.  But, I am curious...besides the sticky scalp, is anyone experiencing severe dry/scaly scalp, or skin irritations that looks like a rash on your back, face, or front part of your upper body?  Unfortunately, I am.  I talked to my doctor about this and - lucky me, I was diagnosed with Seborrheic Dermatitis.  Please google this for more information on it.  It is a real, non cureable but treatable disease, and is a true pain to deal with.  Coal Tar shampoo made by Neutragena helps some, and is available over the counter.  I highly recommend if anyone is suffering from these symptoms to talk to your doctor for more options.
Good Luck to anyone else going through this nightmare.
I just started having the same problem. It started  afew days ago. On the crown of my head, i have a sticky gross feel to my hair. I tried a vinegar rinse tonight but it didn't work. I am going to try the vinegar then dawn in the morning. How often should I keep trying something? I want to just keep washing until it goes away but i know that is not good either. Any ideas? It is really upsetting me. Does anyone know why it happens? Is there anything to do to prevent this? I am about to have a come apart about this...
Hi everyone,

I just got this problem too.  It is exactly how the first person described it at the beginning of this thread.

I'm going to try 3 different methods; first I'm going to try the vinegar solution (because we have heaps ready here at home).  If that doesn't work I will try the listerine.

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me how you would get a fungus in your hair?  If that is what it really is.

I have a theory that it could be my body reacting to me having my implanon removed.  Does anyone have an opinion about that?
The condition is Seborrheic Dermatitis. Luckily for us our condition is mild compared to how it can be in the latter stages (scalp scaling and peeling). While there is no cure the symptoms can be controlled through various treatments. There is no direct known cause, but possible causes are presumed to be hormonal changes, and yeast / fungal infections. The best way to treat this scalp condition is by using medicated shampoos (salicylic acid, selenium sulfide, zinc pyrithione, coal tar) , along with a good clarifying shampoo. Additional home remedies include apple-cider vinegar, fresh lemon juice, baking soda, and dish detergent. I also recommend Diflucan (anti-fungal) pills. In the worst case scenereo accutane will control symptoms... although i do not recommend that as it is very strong and has many unfavorable side effects. Best of luck everyone...
hi, I had the same problem, sticky greasy hair on the crown. I noticed it happens when I'm stressed and scratching my head. I tried everything, vinegar with lemon juice, all kinds of shampoos, soaps etc. after few times of getting this nightmare I finally found the solution! few drops of washing liquid dissolved in the water! It felt like a miracle! I put that solution just on the crown, rubbed a little bit in, rinsed, and washed the hair with shampoo, blow dried and the problem was gone. however the skin on my head got a little bit itchy but it did not last long! but seriously only few drops, cause the washing liquid is a killer for skin, it dries it enormously!
hope you find it helpful!
Hi everybody, I started experiencing this problem a few days ago and it had started to drive me crazy, my hair never felt clean even when it was still drying after a wash. Today I tried a combination of Head and Shoulders (anti-dandruff shampoo) and baking powder. Just mix 3 teaspoons of baking powder with any regular shampoo and it will turn a lovely foamy texture. Massage this generously into your scalp and leave for 5-10 minutes. At this point rinse it all out, then re-shampoo and rinse. After doing all of this, I blow-dried my hair and the problem was completely solved! I think it was caused by product build-up, I'd been using a lot of heat protection/styling serum which made my hair sticky and clumpy. I thoroughly recommend this method to anybody! :)
After nine days of suffering the exact same situation you are all describing (sticky, waxy hair appearing at the crown all of a sudden that will not be cleared with traditional shampoos or cleansers) I finally decided to search online. After finding this forum and reading that I was not alone I could have cried with relief. My whole life I have had lovely bouncy hair that, if anything, was slightly on the dry side. I have never dyed my hair, do not use hair products and have been using Pantene shampoos for five years. So to all of a sudden develop this disgusting substance was a little alarming for me. As the sticky waxy grease continued to spread I tried everything: changing shampoos, not washing my hair, just conditioning, scrubbing until my scalp was sore and not using my blow dryer.

After reading about several people having success with the CLARIFYING SHAMPOO and original LISTERINE solution I decided to give it a try.

This has been the BEST decision I have made.

I used Neutrogena Anti-residue shampoo, lathering a large amount into my hair and focusing on the roots and crown. I let it sit for a few minutes, scrubbed again, rinsed and repeated. I then poured three cap fulls of the ORIGINAL (yellow) listerine making sure to cover may entire crown and let sit for 3-5 minutes. After rinsing thoroughly I picked up my blow dryer with a sense of dread, if this didn't work I didn't know what would. But as my hair dried I began to realize that the solution had worked and my hair had returned to about 80% of it's original luster. I won't lie... I totally cried with relief. It is now the next day and my hair has not worsened. I plan to repeat the procedure tonight and am positive that with one or two more treatments my hair will be 100% back to normal :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to whoever took the time to give this treatment a try and share it with the rest of us, I am forever in your debt!!!
For the past 3 weeks, the back of my hair was really greasy and I thought it was just because I had not washed out all of the conditioner. I went to wash my hair a few days ago and thought I would make a conscious effort to thoroughly wash out all of the conditioner, as this is what I thought was making my hair greasy. I was scrubbing my scalp, and as i did it was making my hair really really greasy and sticky, as if I had treacle in my hair. I re-shampooed and conditioned again but it made it worse. It was so bad that when I ran my fingers through my hair when it was dry, a clump had formed at the back of my head and was sticking up as if I had used a wax or something. I phoned my hair dresser and she explained that it was due to the sebacious glands, which are all over your body, which were producing to much sebum and she recommended that i use a T/GEL for greasy hair. I used this and it started to break it down straight away, and after 3 washes it was back to normal. It does dry out the rest of your hair, so now I use it only on the patch that is affected, and normal shampoo on the rest. She also told me that using hot water and scrubbing really hard would make it worse as it stimulates the glands to produce more oils.
I'm not sure what is going to happen when I stop using this shampoo, but if I have to use it once a week, it's a small price to pay for normal hair. It's inexpensive and available from most large pharmacies. I would really recommend you try this before using other chemicals on your hair as it really worked for me.

Hope this helps.  
i first noticed this about two months ago and thought it was shampoo that had not been rinsed out however i think it was actually the nice and easy colour seal conditioner (i had just dyed my hair) i found that redying my hair helped temporarily but it just came back even without the nice and easy conditioner,

i have just tried the lemon juice/vinegar method to no avail, tomorrow i will try the listerene and let you know how it goes, if it fails then i will need to go to the doctor as it is driving me nuts and starting to hurt from so much scrubbing/attention.

even though it is embarrasing and very annoying i am glad to know i am not the only one with this problem.

and just as a note for anyone keeping tabs, i am an 18 year old female with moderate stress levels and have just recovered after a nasty sinus infection (i noticed someone else had a sinus infection aswell)
I've had the same problem with my hair for the past month.  I'm 27 years old, and the sticky, oily mess at the crown of my head began immediately after my wedding (and my new husband's re-deployment to Iraq).  So at first I attributed it to something my hairdresser had put in my hair while styling it for the wedding.  Then I thought maybe it was due to stress.  But I always expected it to eventually wash out.  It didn't, obviously.  So I finally started searching for a diagnosis and possible solutions and was shocked that so many people have had the exact same symptoms.

The treatment I tried this morning consisted of one round of Neutrogena Clarifying Shampoo.  I lathered thoroughly and let it sit for a couple of minutes before rinsing.  Next, I poured 4 capfuls of the brown Listerine on the crown of my head and let that sit for about 5 minutes.  The only problem with this step in the treatment is that I have sensitive skin, and the Listerine started burning my forehead and neck after a few minutes.  After rinsing that out, I used Paul MItchell's Tea Tree Shampoo, which I also let sit for a couple minutes before rinsing.

My hair was immediately 90% better.  I'm still waiting to see what the long-term effectiveness is though.  I'm so relieved to have a solution to this issue though.  I can finally wear my hair down again!  :)
All my life I have had a pretty normal head of hair, if anything a little dry. So, about 3 months ago, I realized that I had a greasy, sticky, waxy substance on my scalp, but mostly around the crown. I was assuming it was just shampoo or conditioner that I had failed to wash out, so the next day when I washed my hair, I made sure that I had gotten all of the conditioner out. But it was still greasy! This drove me INSANE. So, yesterday I found this forum, and THANK GOD! It saved my hair! I had gone to my local grocery store (in the organic section) and I found two organic, Tea Tree, clarifying shampoos: Organics Lemon Tea Tree shampoo, and Nature's Gate Calming Tea Tree shampoo. I also picked up some of the original Listerine (yellow-ish brown color) reading that the Listerine worked well for others. So, I went and washed my hair, and this is what I did: Washed my hair with the Lemon Tea Tree shampoo, and then I rinsed it out. Next, I took 4-5 capfuls of the Listerine and put that on my scalp. I let that soak for about 7-10 minutes, and then washed that out with the Nature's Gate shampoo. Lastly, I conditioned my hair, because this all takes a toll on your hair. I used Aveda Smooth Infusion conditoner. (aveda.com for salons) This got rid of about 80% of the crap! So I did this exact same treatment 3 more days, and it is all gone! Thank you for whomever recommended the Listerine! You saved my hair! I owe you one.
~Good Luck :)
I HAVE THE SOLUTION. =D ( albeit temporary ^_^" )

I've just developed this same problem.  Greasy/waxy "sticky" feeling hair at the crown, and am going to try a few remedies posted here to permanently solve it.  

My long blond hair has always been soft and flowing and even though i do have oily skin, this waxiness has never been an issue, and I'm still not sure why it's happened all of a sudden.  I have oily hair the day after washing, no matter how inactive I've been, but it's never been like this.  I take very good care of my hair and have never dyed it and very rarely blow dry, preferring to let it air dry.  

But because of having the second day oily hair blues, I've discovered 3 products to quickly give a freshly washed look without showering.  And as I've just discovered IT WORKS FOR THIS WAXY PROBLEM TOO.
These products are:

1.) Baking soda,
2.) Baby powder (talcum powder) or
3.) "Open Sundaes" Hair Powder, (pick the one meant for your hair color, Lemon Shake for us blonds ^_^) this is the one i use, but I've used all 3 at different times and all have the same effect.

Sprinkle some at the crown of your head, don't need a lot, just off to the side of the your part, (don't want buildup directly on your scalp) and "fluff" into your hair, tousling and working it in and down the strands.

That's it!  Just keep tousling until your happy with the look.  It'll make your hair look and FEEL soft and fluffy, only takes a minute and removes the greasy waxy feeling altogether!!

PLEASE NOTE: if you use after your shower, do not apply to wet hair!!!  dry first then fly at'r lol

Hope this helps you all as much as it helped me! =D
I only started having this problem after I used the Nice & Easy Perfect 10 hair dye. I will try the listerine, Viniger, and new shampoo's tomorrow. It seems alot of woman on here didnt have the problem until after using Nice & Easy hair products. I called Nice & Easy today to let tem know of the problem, they said it could have been a bad batch. Good Luck Everyone, I will let you know how it goes
Thank you everyone for your helpful and hopeful suggestions on how to clear up the waxy mess on my daughter's scalp....she is only 9 years old and I just thought she wasn't rinsing out her shampoo/conditioner well enough....but even after I have started to help her wash her hair - the problem continues.  I wonder if it is rare for such a young person to develop this?  Please let me know if anyone else's children have experienced this.  
I have had this problem a few times before and found that going to get my hair washed, cut and dried helped.  However, I noticed it started to come back more quickly afterwards and I couldn't exactly get my hair cut that often.   I ended up buying a salon bought shampoo called joico moisture recovery and that seemed to keep it in check.  I recently ran out of the salon bought shampoo a month ago and just used herbal essences and then a week ago i faced the sticky waxy (greasy looking) hair again.  I went to the salon and she cut my hair and everything however, I felt it in my hair until she blow dried it and even at that only half of it was gone really.   Last night I took an iron pill before bed because I have somewhat of low iron occasionally.  My doctor has also told me that low iron can have quite an impact on your hair.  Also, from what i've seen and heard it seems as though many woman can lack a bit of iron without even knowing it.  I think I heard that our iron tends to be more low when we are mentruating.  So, I took an iron pill last night with that in mind and after my shower today almost 95% of it is gone! no expensive shampoo either SO FAR. I hope.  Anywho, hope this helps.:)
I have always had normal hair and skin.  My hair has always been very normal.  I have dyed my hair in the past and had no adverse reactions to any of the products used.  However, I recently dyed my hair with NICE AND EASY and used the tube of conditioner that comes with the dye to be used to condition and give your hair shine.  SHINE FOR DAYS AND GREASE AND THE MOST HORRIBLE STICKY FEELING EVER!  I am convinced for me that this was the cause.  There has been no change in my diet, I take no meds or birth control and this occurred immediately after the dye.  I just spent an hour using the vinegar suggestion and my hair is drying out now but I can tell my hair is already less greasy but I think I will have to retreat the area tomorrow.  I am just grateful I found this site or I would have no hope and a GREASY head.  I will stay away from NICE AND EASY that's for sure!
thanks to everyone, my hair has been like this for a few days, i tried washing up liquid tonight, and its worse, its making me feel dirty and depressed so i cant wait to try some of the suggestions. i cant beleive how many others are suffering, i feel it could be hormonal as ive had sore breasts for 2wks, which is also unusual. it would be good to hear if the earlier posts who got rid of the problem ever had it return. anyway thanks everyone for sharing your tips.
I've had this problem for a few months now, and nothing I do seems to work. All of my hair is horrible and greasy. Being a teen and lacking confidence already, this has been a pretty big blow for me, I hardly leave the house anymore (I know that sounds silly).
I tried using vinegar, which didn't help at all. Previously I have used Nice n' Easy too, so asap I'm going to buy Garnier hair dye for a short term fix to see how that works, and then go and buy some other products you've all mentioned. I have the hair dressers on Saturday, so I'll let you know what they say, too!
Thanks for this thread, its helped hugely!
My 11 year old daugther has this.  Just like others, I thought she was not washing her hair out.  I finally decided to help her wash the conditioner out, it almost got  worse !!  She has more than one patch (actually several) sticky spots about 1-2 inches from the scalp.  I actually thought it might be lice since it was going around at the school.   I have no idea what lice nits look like but now I don't think it is lice.  After reading all of these posts it sounds exactly the same !!!  I would try to spot wash each greasy spot and that did nothing !!  The gunk in her hair is like a greasy sandy patch that seems to spread the more you wash !!!  Does that sound like the same thing ??  She actually has many small pimples around the side of the nose, under the eyes.  Makes me think it is hormonal.  She was in tears all night after we spent hours trying to fix/clean her hair.  We even did a lice treatment just in case !!!  I feel SO sorry for her...........but I am hoping tomorrow we can try the listerine or vinegar !!  It is too late to try anything else but it sure helps to find this forum !!!  I actually don't think it is lice !!  Thanks a million for your help !! LIsterine or vinegar...which one should I try first ????
My 7 1/2 year old daughter has this same problem.  The greasy sticky patch appeared on the crown of her head about a week ago.  I thought she had not rinsed the conditioner out, so i rinsed it for her and the problem was still there.  I have been washing her hair for her every night and as soon as it dries it's evident that the problem is still there.  I have tried fresh undiluted lemon juice and baking soda.  They didn't work.  The one thing that seems to stand out after reading all the comments is that, she ran out of conditioner several days ago so i handed her a tube of the hair treatment that comes in the Nice N Easy hair color.  I told her to use that until she ran out of shampoo.  I am wondering if that is the problem.  She seems to be too young to be dealing with hormonal issues.   I think I will try some of the suggestions tonight and see if I can get it out of her hair.
After thinking this was hormonal for several years now as it comes and goes as it pleases, I now have a new theory!!!
I believe it may be Dimethicone!
My hair has been fine for a month then last night i did a lice treatment containing dimethicone and i literally had to wash my hair 35 times before the stuff even started coming out. My whole head looks like someone slathered crisco on it!
I was able to get the majority of it out, but the crown of my hear is very stubborn!
I came to this conclusion because the last time i deep conditioned with pantene the same thing happened... so i checked the ingredients on that label and low and behold the 2nd ingredient is "dimethicone"... in fact almost all pantene conditioners have a small amount of this.... so now i'm researching how to get this stuff out of my head, which i'm finding is VERY difficult. But if you look at the conditioners that come with most hair dyes they all have a high concentration of dimethicone!
I really think this is it! The only thing i dont understand is why it sticks to the crown moreso than any other part of the head...
It's been a few days with this stupid greasy/oily hair problem.

I'm noticing a common denominator, however: Nice n' Easy. It could also be a side effect of my Acctune treatment. I have no idea.

Anyway, I'm going to hop in the shower now and do a Listerine rinse. I'm hoping to God this works. My beautiful hair now makes me look like I haven't showered in days. =0[.  I'll let you all know if it works (although I'm not hopeful).
All right, guys! So as I mentioned in my above post, my hair had this oily, sticky, greasy film stuck on the crown on my head. It was absolutely disgusting, and made me look like I wasn't showering. Gross!

So I read this thread, and decided to hop in the shower and try some things out.

I DON'T HAVE TO GREASY RESIDE IN MY HAIR ANYMORE! This is how:

-I shampooed my hair with Selsun Blue.

-I mixed baking soda with Palmolive Dish Washing Liquid. I scrubbed in on my hair, and rinsed it out.

-Then I took Listerine (the blue one) and put about 5 caps of it directly on my scalp, pulled my hair back and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

- I rinsed it out and finally conditioned ONLY MY ENDS.

VOILA! All gone! Try it out, guys. Works like a gem!

Good luck to all of you !
About a week ago I noticed an unusual sticky spot in the crown of my hair.  Like so many others, I first thought I had not rinsed the conditioner out of my hair properly. The next day I shampooed twice and vigorously scrubbed the spot.  When I started blow drying my hair the spot seemed worse.  I then wondered if I had spilled something in my hair because the spot was very concentrated in one small area, about 2 inches in diameter at the very crown.  It was "sticky" like tree sap and absolutely will not wash away.  The only diagnosis I could come up with, was the fact that I STOPPED bleaching my hair 5 months ago and my "real" hair is now the dominant hair on my head, uncolored and untreated.  I wondered if I had been covering up this wax spot for 20 years by bleaching my hair for so long.  I am now contemplating the fake, bleach-blond hair again because it would be MUCH better than this condition.  I am going to try some of the suggestions here, like the dishwashing detergent, the vinegar and listerine, but I still wish a doctor would comment on this "medical condition".  For so many people to suddenly develop a waxy, sticky substance in the crown of their hair, there must be a medical explanation.  I think it must be hormonal, as I am turning 45 in a few months, but I don't want to live with this problem for the rest of my life.  What is the cure?
I had the same issue a couple of times.  I used Finesse shampoo for a week and cleared it up.  I think it was the Aussie conditioner I was using.
I have this problem too. I haven't been able to get rid of it (I'll try all your remedies) but ...

I HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT IT MIGHT BE: Pine Resin

The polinisation of pines takes place in spring, and, two years later, in autumn, the formed seeds fall from the pines. Pine Resin molecule is not an OIL, and that's why none of the traditional cleaners work.

This also explains why we all have the problem in the upper part of our heads...

pines in your area?

i just started to get the greasy sticky mess on the very top of my head 3 days ago. Before it was mangable, i could pull my hair up and u could even tell it was nasty. Today though my hair was aweful. so when i got home i started to search for reasons and "cures" for my gross hair condition. One that i found wasnt on this site was epsom salt. u just mix 3 cups water and a half cup salt and pour it on your scalp. it may or may not work for u but its worth a shot.
Dish soap and vinigar though worked some for me.thx for the tips plz keep posting :)
Well it seems like everyone here is female but im an asian male 25 years old and have the same symptoms as the first post. Greasy sticky crown and skin breaking out. My hair isn't long, like eyebrow length.  I haven't changed shampoo. I've used head and shoulder 2 in 1 like forever. Im pretty sure im not pregnant.... can't think of any extreme stress inducing scenarios. Im planning on trying the listerene option since I have a bottle at home already. Hopefully it works. :]
This just started happening to me out of the blue a couple of weeks ago.  And it's mainly just on the crown of my head and roots of the hair.  I live in South Texas.  I have also noticed a sour odor to my scalp as well if I'm out on a warmer day and start sweating.  So I initially thought it was a fungus.  I have tried Sal3 soap, tea tree oil, and I have tried head and shoulders which actually seems to make it worse because now I have dandruff flakes when I never did before. I lather rinse and repeat.  I have washed my hair once per day, twice per day and even tried just every other day.  I also have had recent increase in acne as well.  This is incredibly frustrating because it seems to have just happened out of the blue.  The pine resin theory is interesting, I will have to research that as well as the sebohrreic dermatitis. I will try the ACV rinse first since I vaguely seem to recall my mother using it on my hair as a child and I never knew why she did that- I thought she was being mean.  Then if that doesn't work, I will try the listerine and some of the other remedies mentioned here.  Thanks everyone!  Hang in there.  We are not alone in this.  We are not crazy!
After two days of using my normal 2 in 1 head and shoulders shampoo and listerene,  my hair is considerably less oily and sticky. Im hoping this clears up after 3 more days.
A random fix for it is to put baby powder on the areas, sleep with it in and wash the next day. That works for me, just don't know of a perminent fix or one that doesn't make you look silly like the baby powder but it is an overnight temporary fix.  I currently have the baby powder in because it happened to me again randomly. It is getting annoying having to wash my hair over and over beccause its not greasy till I already showered! :(
I really hope you have managed to scroll down this far if you've had the same problem.  I had a sticky, waxy type build up on my hair for about 2 months, it looked greasy and no matter how much i washed it it wouldnt go away and was really getting me down, couldnt work out why it started but it wouldnt go away.  I have finally found one thing that worked Tresemme deep cleansing shampoo - specifically for this problem.  Its in a black bottle and was only about £3.  Im happy again!  Forget putting mouthwash in your hair, or any other wives tales, use something actually designed for this problem.  Im so so glad I found it (thanks to a nice lady at my local hairdressers x)
I have the same problem as mentioned above. I used to use sunsilk and decide to change to Pantene as it was on special. Like most of you I thought I didn't rinse my hair properly. It has been a week now and I have just tried the vinegar and listerine but very little improvement. Will keep you updated on how I go. There are lots of pine trees in my area at the moment and lots of pollen as we are entering summer.
I've had this for months now. I'm almost ready to shave it all off because it's just got worse and worse. It used to be okay after I washed it, but now it makes no difference and it's spreading all the way down my hair. I've tried all sorts and I'm so sick of saying "Yes, I'm washing it out properly." In fact, I haven't even used conditioner for ages now because that seemed to make it worse. I have a horrible feeling it might be my diet. It's started shortly after I became a vegetarian, but I hate the thought of eating meat so much and I hate my hair like this...! Gah! I don't know what to do. This is very unfair. How come other vegetarians don't have to put up with this?
And now I hear that having it in a ponytail makes it worse. Wtf? What else am I supposed to do when I go out in public!? I am so pissed off.
I too ran into this horrible problem. I tried vinegar, changing shampoos, not shampooing, finally last night when I got home from work I put rubbing alcohol on my scalp , scrubbed it around, then shampooed and so far so good. Just htought I would share. I would like to know why this is happening to us.!!
I tried Gasty's method of mixing 3 teaspoons of baking powder/bi-carb soda with any regular shampoo, massage it generously onto scalp and leave it for 5 to 10 mins. IT WORKS!!!

I also use cool air to blow dry my hair instead of hot air. My hair turn out soft and smooth. The oily patch was gone. I hope it stays like that. I'm going to try it again tomorrow and see if the results lasts.

Thank you to everyone that posted remedies for this issue on a greasy crown. I just noticed mine yesterday and I wanted to immediately take care of the issue. I used the 1/2 cup of vinegar mixed with 1/3 cup of water and let it sit on the area for 15 mins. then I washed the vinegar mixture out with palmolive dish soap followed by shampooing and conditioning as usual. It WORKED!!! Thank you again to everyone that posted on this issue!
i am a 28 year old female with really thick long dark hair and about 6 months ago out of no where i started to get this sticky build up in my hair too...I am a hairdresser and my 8 years in the field have never had anyone complain of this except me...its so weird i have tried the vinegar and it seems to help and also use dishwashing liquid and it works to control the problem most of the time im just curious what causes this....I have also struggled with acne after I had my son for about 2 years, now hes five and my i get the occasional zit around my period but my faces is completely scared from that period which is also very fustrating.....i wonder if its hormonal or what? nothing seems to fix it just makes it managable....also i do not use product only shampoo so i know its not product build up...and i use good shampoos like I said im a hairdresser...does anyone else have well water i thought also that it may be a build up of minerals in the water?
also its started in my crown area but now seems to have moved from my crown  to the front of my hair...when its wet u can actually feel it on your fingers its so weird....
In the past couple of days i have noticed my hair becoming waxy and sticky to the touch after washing it.  It seems to have come out of the blue.  The only reasons i can think of why this is happening is: A) i have been off of birth control for about 6 months now and recently within the past two weeks started the pill again.  and B) i think my iron is low...i have noticed several bruises lately so not sure if that has anything to do with it.  Anyway, i read a comment in this thread suggesting to try t/gel shampoo.  So, I am going to buy some tomorrow and try it...i will post my results soon.  Hopefully this will go away as it is embarrassing and frustrating.  If that doesn't work then it's on to the listerine treatment.  Until then...guess i'll have to wear my hair up!
Good news!  The T/gel shampoo worked in the first wash.  Went back to using regular shampoo and conditioner the next day and my hair is 100% back to normal.  It doesn't smell very pleasant, but if you wash your hair at night, most of the smell is gone the next morning (with only a really light moth ballish smell the next day, not noticeable unless you are sniffing your hair).
So, like most people on here, I've JUST developed this problem (of having a waxy patch at the top of my head, right where my hair parts). My hair has always been very dry, and this past week that changed, all of a sudden, for that one part on my head. I hate it! It's waxy and sticky, and very unpleasant to look at or have to deal with :( Anyway, I came across this thread and just yesterday I tried the Listerine treatment. I got the Suave Clarifying Shampoo, washed my hair with it twice, and then dumped 3 capfulls of yellow (original) Listerine right along the greasy/waxy top of my head. It worked amazingly (though my hair was a bit dry afterwards), and I was sooo happy about it. It even lasted me that whole day! Unfortunately, today when I woke up and showered, I came out of the shower feeling that same waxiness coming back yet again :( At that point I went back in and re-washed my hair with the Listerine again and now it's drying all right...sadly this tells me Listerine isn't a very permanent solution. It's probably not the best for your hair, either.

Anyway, I told my parents about this and my dad isn't taking me very seriously and just thinks I'm exaggerating and really just not washing my hair well enough. This of course is untrue, because I wash my hair every single day very diligently and really take care of it (my hair is something I pride myself on...or used to, anyway). I told my dad about the Listerine thing and asked if maybe it was bacterial but he doesn't think it is. Both of my parents are molecular biologists and in fact they both laughed at me when I asked if it was bacterial. They said if it was, the skin would look a lot more irritated at the scalp and it might even develop a smell etc etc....I don't know what to dooo...but it's so unfortunate :( I hate this

I wanna go to a doctor, but that seems to have been of no help to so many of you that I don't know if I really wanna bother with it. I do wanna try the T/gel thing a few of you mentioned though, maybe it will work. Also, tomorrow I'm gonna go out and get some tea tree shampoo/conditioner to see how that goes. I think I'd try anything to get this to go away, I miss my pretty, non oily hair :(

Were any of these solutions of permanent benefit to you guys? I really wanna know if this will ever go away :(
About 6 months ago I had the problem of the waxy greasy crown... I thought at first that I didn't wash well enough and tried another 2 washes.  I found a link that said to use Zest... It totally worked, I noticed the feeling coming back today, I can't wait to get home and try the zest again since I know it works, and cheep too!!!
Hi All,
Had the same problem after changing shampoo. My hair was so stick after a couple of days I didn`t need gel. The only way to was it out was with a regular bar of soap. I did it once, it worked and now I was with Head and Shoulders with no more problems. It was a bit upsetting when it happened but luckily not really serious so don`t get too down.
Out of the blue, my 14 year old son had this sticky, greasy area in his hair right at the crown. At first, I just assumed he didn't rinse his hair good enough. The next day, after washing, the sticky part was still there but now it was bigger. The following day I told him that he really needed to rinse his hair after washing. I told him to use hot water and rinse for atleast 5 minutes. THE STOP SPREAD! Now it was on the crown and 1/2 down the back. So, i used some of my expensive shampoo on him and NOTHING. I got online and researched sites like this one and kept hearing over and over Suave Clarifying Shampoo and Listerine. I also heard Tea Tree shampoo and Palmolive. I went and bought it all. I washed his hair with the Clarifying shamoo, rinsed and poured on 5 capfulls of the Listerine. I let it sit for 5 mins. Then I rinsed with hot water and followed it with a good wash with the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil shampoo. TA DA. The greasy, sticky spot was gone. His hair was a little more dry then normal but he was so happy to have normal hair that was clean and looked clean. I never did try the Palmolive because the first thing worked.
I am going to assume this is hormonal. My son is not on meds or doesn't use hair color or products other then shampoo. At 14, I am sure hormones are out of control.  We will keep these items on hand just in case it comes back. I just wanted to share with everyone that the Listering and Clarifying shampoo method did actually work for us.
We may never know what actually causes this weird hair issue, but it sure is comforting to my son to know that his Mom actually has a way to fix this embarassing thing. I wish everyone luck
Hi everyone,

I found this conversation because I also started suddenly suffering from this problem about 3 months ago. I saw that some have had success with Suave Clarifying shampoo, so I tried that. No help. My hair stylist, completely appalled by the condition of my hair, convinced me to purchase some really expensive salon shampoo which is probably just fine for people with "normal" hair, but that is not my current situation. I also tried the vinegar thing. No help. And, even though I rinsed it out thoroughly, I felt like I could smell vinegar all day (and suspected everyone else could, too).

I recently returned to a shampoo that I used years ago and after one wash, my hair felt great. I've been using it for about a week and I don't know if the change is "permanent" because I'm afraid to stop using, but I did want to share in case this helps anyone else out. It's Karma Komba solid shampoo from Lush. http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/hair/solid-shampoos/karma-komba. I feel like it saved my life and self esteem.

Also, as a side note, although I am about to start my second round of Accutane treatment (how many problems can a girl have:)), I have never experienced this hair thing until now  so I don't see a clear link between this and my acne. Additionally, as part of the process of preparing to take Accutane, I had my hormone levels check and everything came back normal, thus ruling out PCOS or other hormonal issues.

Good luck to all of you!
It is very possible that you have psoriasis or exema- these will make you have the oily yucky waxy hair- there is a shampoo that you can get(cant remember the name) but ask your local pharmacy for a shampoo for psoriasis. It may work- People can go their whole lives and not know they have psoriasis except for what they get in their scalp. Good luck
I, too, had this problem spring up on me suddenly. I'm guessing the causes differ for everyone, but the underlying symptom is definitely increased oil secretion (and not pine sap, lol). I am prone to acne, and when the problem first occurred last week, I started breaking out. For those who aren't acne prone, this might not occur. Whatever the case may be, the scalp tends to secrete most of its oil from the crown, so it makes sense that this is the problem. I just tried the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree  Oil shampoo, followed by listerine for 15 minutes, followed by T-Gel and Selsun Blue. The oil is gone, but that doesn't mean it won't return. I wish I knew why my oil secretion is up.... I'm doing everything the same as always, and I'm in my 30s (and not pregnant), so my hormones should be pretty stable.....
Well, I just realized that I have a ringworm outbreak on my neck, too. So, this is definitely fungal in my particular case.
Help! I just showered tonight getting ready for a party! I started blowdrying my hair and when I reached the crown I noticed m hair was greasy, sticky, and oily..like it never looked dry.. I was supposed to go with my hubby to a party and made him go alone. It seemed like I didn't wash out my conditioner enough. I am a model and I worked with a hairdresser yesterday..I was blaming him until I read this blog. I instinctively used Palmolive..it looks bad still. I'll try a claryfying shampoo tomorrow. I feel like crying. I look really gross. Now that I think of it I noticed this on my daughter very recently and assumed she didn't rinse her hair properly..she's only 8. But her hair looks fine now. I'm very sad and feel ugly. I promise to come back here and post my updates.. The wonderful people on here are so helpful.
Ok so It has been three days...the baby powder was a great idea..it brought hair back to normal looking so I could go out in public. This is only temporary though.. So I went to the derm...who is a very reputable one in my community..he diagnosed it!! It's Seborrhea- a harmless yeast fungus that causes increased oil production. What brings it on is apparently random. It's not contagious. He gave me cicloprox shampoo 1% and I am happy to say I am 90% back to normal. I have to use it 3-4 times a week and use fingertips to massage it into scalp and condition as usual. Ask your doc for this!
oops I misspelled the shampoo...CICLOPIROX 1%
Hi everyone. Thanks for the great tips and ideas. I too thought that when I woke up one morning and discovered an area of sticky hair that I was definitely the only one with such a weird thing going on! It made me feel so much better to find this list!

Here's what worked for me...still don't know what caused it. I used dish soap which didn't work. And then used apple cider vinegar. After a couple rinses my hair was noticeably improved. Then today I used tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner and my hair is totally back to normal - silky, smooth and sticky free!

Thanks for the tips!
I took the advice here and mixed baking soda in my shampoo, then rinsed with vinegar.  Definitely helps a lot, but has not solved the problem completely and still has me concerned about the cause.  The dermatologist I talked to said to have tests done to check the function of my thyroid.  Anyone else hear that?  I'm going in this week for tests.
I use to have really long hair, until i cut it two years ago. it was a pixie cut and although i liked it a lot i missed my old hair. so i decided to grow it out but in the process i feel like my hair has never been the same and its depressing! whenever i blow dry my hair my scalp is sticky and gross! i dont know how this happened!!! i literally feel like i got dandruff and this gross **** over night. i dont know what to do! all i want is my old hair back! i know everyone has posted a million things but can someone just please sum up what i can do!!! i need help!!! its exactly how everyone is describing it! i dont know if its because ive worn my hair up for almost a year now every day because growing it out through the awkward stage was tough. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!
To add to my last comment, It literally feels this way right after i blow dry my hair. i dont put any products in my hair at all either! i literally thought it was conditioner so i stoped using it but nothing changed! its been going on for what ive noticed as maybe 2 months. i should probably see a dermatologist but please any ideas??
Hi ItalianGurl, I am so sorry you have to go through this...try putting baby powder in your hair it will help temporarily. I put the pwder on my hands like the size of a quarter..turned my head upside doen and dug my fingers in to where the scalp is affected..repeat if necessary.. don't pour it directly on your head or you hair will look grey. Go see your Derm and ask him if it might be Sebirrhea..that's what I had.
Hi all

I am a 17 year old in NZ.
I have also experienced this! (Being a girl ***** right?)

I have really long dark brown and thick hair. Never been dyed and i never straighten it as its wavy and i like it like that. I used to get my hair permanently straightened but have stopped that for around 4 years now.

Sometimes this happens after i wash my hair and i get really frustrated!! it takes forever to go away, it just comes and goes.

I wash my hair everyday or else it will feel just disgusting and go greasy as alot of girls have stated here(I thought i was the only one!)

I use Head and Shoulders Shampoo and  pantene conditioner.

For me, right now its doing this oily thing again so i finally decided to google it! i havnt tried the remedies on here yet but i will tommorow.

When the oily hair happens to me - I tend to not was my hair for a few days and that makes the oilyness go away! When you dont wash your hair, it feels so dirty right? Well after a few days of not washing your hair because of the oilyness - it feels amazing! back to normal and soft,sleek,shiny.

But i go to school and work and dont want to look like i havnt washed my hair anymore! So im going to try the 1/2 a cup of Vinegar and 1/3 a cup of Water because i think that most people have suceeded in that remedy.

I will keep this page updated and thanks alot to all the wonderful women in the world for taking part in this duscussion! :)
I read this thread yesterday and everything i read was very informative. I too had the same issues as all of you. I had recently colored my hair with nice and easy..will never do that again. I don't wear my hair in a bun or ponytail, rarely use hair products, and not taking any meds. I do however wear a ballcap much of the time, not gonna do that for awhile (smile). I did try the vinegar and palmolive combo, and much to my surprise, it worked and worked great. All my hair looks healthy again, not greasy or sticky..Thanks for posting such winderful information.
I have had this condition of crazy sticky hair right after shampooing and drying...and i use great Aveda products!  For me i'm 90% sure its a hormonal issue. I have been on & off oral bc for 15 years.  Recenlty, i have went off of it forever! YEAH! However a week or 2 after, the hair yuck came back.  Using Baking soda and vinegar is helpful but not long lasting....the best relief is when i go to get my roots colored and then it's good for a week after and life is good. But it doesn't last....my hair looks lifeless and forlorn....I am going to try the Lysterine and see how that works...i'm also considering seeing  a dermatologist and getting on Accutane to see if that helps or taking otc antifungal pills.  Praying for some relief! Can't hide behind my running hats forever! :)
Hey girls! Im back.

I tried the 1/2 cup of white vinegar and 1/3 cup of water.

It totally worked and my hair feels so nice now!!!!
All i did was poured it into my hair(the roots where it was sticky)
left it in there for about 5 mins then rinsed it off, and then shampooed!
This remedy rocks!

Thanks to those who shared it with us!
i had this same problem and i tryed dawn left it in for 3 mins and then scrubbed again then washed it out and conditioned the tips only and its 100% gone with the first wash!!!
It is by accident I found a solution to this sticky scalp problem. I am actually on a weight loss program but just read on.

I go to the gym everyday, run everyday, eat right, but nothing seemed to work in my goal to lose weight and yes, I have sticky scalp. I thought to myself, what is this? Is oil really abundant from inside my body that it goes out through my scalp?

One day I just decided to cut off unnecessary calories from my diet to lose weight. But I wanted to do so in a way that the energy drain won't affect my work. During the day, I take sips (just sips) of "real" juiced mango. The sugar in it gives me enough energy so that my body does not trigger hunger. I bring 3 small bottles of it and it lasts the whole day. I also drink one cup of tea in the afternoon.

In the evening, I eat proteins and greens to my satisfaction. You cant really eat  much cause I think the intestines shrink when you hardly eat.

After 3 days, my scalp now feels clean. There is still some scalp oil but just enough to moisturize. The sticky grease is gone !!!
NO WAY! It didn't even occur to me that there were SO many more people out there with this problem! Although it totally ***** that we have to put up with something like this, I am so overjoyed that I am not the only one!

Ah, yes. Sticky, oily-looking, nasty, gritty hair. When I first had this problem, several years ago when I was about 18, I told my parents and was pretty much told that I was off my rocker, that nothing was wrong with my hair, I forgot to wash the conditioner out or something. My father, who is a strong believer in Selsun Blue shampoo, told me to use that, and I did, and my problem DID go away, very nicely.

Now, though, years later, I've got it again and Selsun Blue is no longer working! I was despondent. So, with my hope all but gone, I googled "sticky hair on top of my head"...and here are all you beautiful people...with solutions!! I'm so glad! I showered one last time with Selsun Blue last night to see if it would work, and it didn't. Today, I used the vinegar solution, and IT SO TOTALLY WORKED!! My hair is beautiful again! I want to hug you all!!

Thank you ALL for taking the time to tell your fellow sticky-hair-sufferers about the solutions you've found to this awful, sticky problem! I am deeply grateful. I would suggest, for people who can find nothing that works for them, to try Selsun Blue. It doesn't work for me anymore I guess, but it did, for several years. If you've run out of options, you should try it. Definitely try the vinegar solution. I HATE vinegar, but it made my hair wonderful again, and no vinegar small afterwards. THANK YOU!!!
I cannot believe it worked!!

Thank you to the person who suggested the Listerine option!!! It really does work.

I applied two drops of tea tree oil with my shampoo (I used Gill - Oily hair), left it on for a few minutes and rinsed off. Then I 'rinsed' again with 4 capfuls of the brown Listerine and that's it. Didn't add conditioner or anything else. I immediately noticed a huge difference after the first time. Did it again last night and the stickiness is TOTALLY gone!!!

I would never have believed in Listerine but boy I'm glad i gave it a shot.

Thanks SO much!!!
I'm 14 now and I have the same problem around the crown of my head, it's really uncomfortable, I tried the vinegar treatement and it hardly did anything. I was on minocycline for acne and after my pills ran out it got much worse, i'm tired of having these problems, would acutane fix this if nothing else is?
I had all the symptoms that folks have written about and tried ALL of the remedies mentioned above & the only thing that worked (Just did it!) was DAWN dish washing detergent!!  I'm sure you can imagine my relief!!

I repeat...Dawn Dishwashing detergent!

Hi... I have had this issue a couple of times. I believe it can be caused by several different reasons. For me, it was my diet... I went on South Beach for a while and started to notice that my scalp was sticky and oily after showering... so I figured I just hadnt rinsed thuroughly. Once I went off the diet, it stopped completely. So it may be related to having too many fats or oils in your diet. It has started again recently because I have started the Atkins diet... because I am having success with losing weight, I certainly dont want to sacrifice that. So when I first thought that I just wasnt rinsing well enough, I began doing a little routine. Wash, rinse, condition, rinse, wash again, rinse. This helped tremendously... I do not know why... but it was a simple solution for me. Your hair still comes out smooth and tangle free... so you don't have to worry about reversing the effects of your conditioner. I hope this works for some of you, because it sounds like much less expensive way of taking care of the situation... not to mention less damaging than some of the other products youve been torturing your poor hair with lol. Good luck everyone!
Like most posters on here, my hair went from being long, thick and fluffy to being sticky and slick (almost felt like there was oil grease at the hairline) out of the blue. I too thought it was not rinsing properly, but the next day the same thing happened! This has been going on for about two weeks, and yesterday I was ready to cry before I went out. A hairband is my only reprieve! I've tried apple cider vinegar, changing my shampoo to Head and Shoulders and neither worked! I just washed my hair with dish soap and put lemon juice on my hairline for about twenty minutes beforehand. It seems to be a bit better, but the crown is back to its sticky substance immediately after blowing it dry!! I want to cry, I've always had good hair and I don't know what to do. I'm going to try listerine next and buy the tea tree shampoo. For additional information, my hair is thick and normally dry, and it's naturally dark blonde with blonde highlights. I have a hair appt next week and hopefully she can help.

Thanks to everyone posting their stories, it's amazingly comforting to know that there are other beautiful women out there suffering from the same thing!!
I too have been dealing with this waxy, sticky, greasy looking hair for 3 months. I can pinpoint the day I first experienced this, as I was late getting to a morning meeting because after I'd put my make up on and did my hair, I noticed that my hair looked really disgusting, so BACK INTO THE SHOWER I WENT! Only to have my hair look worse the second time around, and late for an important meeting--- I will NEVER forget that day! After I'd switched shampoos and conditioner for nearly EVERY wash, I thought it had something to do with my new ionic blow dryer, so I stopped blow drying my hair. This seemed to help a little, but still, not the issue. So, I was convinced that my city slipped something into our water supply... BUT, I am the only one with this issue in a house of 5. So... here I am. I FINALLY Googled my symptoms and it's lead me here, to you WONDERFUL ladies, who share this curse. I truly hate the feeling of my hair and after spending so much time in the morning trying to fluff it up with the blow dryer (all the while sticking to my hands and nearly feeling pasted to the top of my head). It leaves me very frustrated and a terrible way to start a day. I have Tinactin anti-fungal spray that I'm going to use like hairspray tonight before bed. Hopefully, I don't wake up to a pillow full of hair-- I'm pretty sure "bald" would not be a good look for me. I have a feeling about this. I've shaken my head to most other suggestions. I know this waxy crap too well and I just don't have faith that dish soap and salad dressing will end this.  I'll be back tomorrow with my results.
Additionally, I just wanted to say thank you for bringing this topic to the internet where I could find it.  I'm glad that I'm not the only one, yet I feel so badly for others that have this issue too.
Peace.
I just experienced this problem.  I had it happen 2 years ago out of the blue as well. I was told that I was putting too much conditioner at my roots, not drying throughly and also was putting my long hair up into a ponytail because of the hot weather.  Well.... I woke up yesterday out of the blue again with the same problem.  The solution that worked both times for me was that I immediately went to my hairdresser.  She used PUREOLOGY serious colour care ZEROSULFATE Purify Shampoo. It is very expensive $24 but worth it as I didn't have to worry about odor from other solutions posted and it's fixed within that treatment.  The product indicates that it removes build up from sulfate shampoos, medication, colour dulling chlorine and minerals from showers and pools. I'm figuring some of these could be reasons this develops for us.  The product is a 100% Vegan purifier.  They washed my hair 2xs and then a 3rd and let it sit on my hair for 5 minutes.  IMMEDIATE SOLUTION and they only charged me $5 for a shampoo at the hairdresser.  I searched the web tonight to try to understand the cause and saw this website.  I figured I also don't understand the reason for it as I haven't changed anything and just got back from 2 week vacation so I'm not stressed and very relaxed.  Any way... figured that I would share the solution that has worked for me and it clears up with this one treatment.  They recommended that I do it once a week for the next 2 weeks to ensure that it doesn't come back and that was the same advice 2 years ago that worked.  I actually bought a bottle of it to keep at home.  10oz should last a decent amount of time for potential outbreaks and worth the costof $24.00.  Hope this helps others.  I also feel better that I'm not some freak. Good Luck to everyone.
I wanted to thank ALL of you who shared your solutions to this frustrating hair problem.  I tried the Suave Clarifying Shampoo/ Listerine suggestion and it started clearing up after the 1st wash.   It took 3 or 4 washes to completely clear up.  I'm so glad that I came across this blog b/c it really does work and works fast!  Thanks again everyone!
Hello!

I have had this problem for months now, sometimes it isn't quite so bad but lately it has been the worst. After reading this here is what I did and I found it helped dramatically.

I filled a spray bottle with vinegar and only a bit of water and saturated my hair in it focusing on the crown. I rubbed it in a bit and wrapped it in a towel to sit for about ten minutes. Then I used Nutrogena anti-residue shampoo and a deep conditioner (Aussie 3 minute miracle) which I left on for awhile. Once my hair air dried I still had some of the sticky in my hair but it has definitely improved. I think that if I do this a few more times and then maybe once a week it will solve the problem. Hopefully.

Hope this helps.
Hey everyone!
My name is Dayna and I am 12 years old. Recently I have had the same issue I get that waxy/stick/oily feeling at the crown of my head and not any place else... my auntie is NOT a hairdresser but I asked her if this has ever happened to her. I was thinking because I am around the age of when puberty starts I just thought it was that but then I started doing research and realized people of all ages have the same issue! My auntie told me to bring a wide tooth pick comb into the shower with me and only condition the part of my head where I would put a pony tail in (so halfway and down) also do not condition the top part of your head. I thought this was crazy but I tried it out and it flipping works amazing miracles also another thing that I found works best is to find the thinnest shampoo, try not to blow dry your hair to much, and drink water. I found this so odd but hey it works! :)

Cheers and happy hair,

-Dayna :D
My 13 year old daughter started showing the sticky-oily problem about two weeks ago.  I finally resorted to washing her hair for her ( thought she wasn't rinsing properly -as she has super thick long straight hair).  We washed three times in one day: first twice with Pantene the third with Head and Shoulders.  Hair still sticky and nasty.  I am glad to learn we are not alone and will try varieous remedies mentioned and report back.  She also has a skin condition called keretosis pillaris (sp).  This may be a factor.  Just relieved that I'm not crazy.
I had tried everything even the vinegar and nothing... the mouthwash was instant. i even had this weird film on my back. 6 doctors couldnt tell me what to do to fix it. they gave me some pads to wipe on it and a cream NOTHING worked. well guess what? the mouthwash fixed it. Also be-careful not to get it in your eyes ;)
I seriously never do things like this or write reviews, but I really had to share this. I'm 21 and i noticed this happening to my hair about a year ago. It would come and go as it pleased. At first i didn't think anything of it, i just thought it was due to all the stuff i was putting in my hair after i showered (i.e. leave in conditioner and a heat protectant). It wasn't until recently that it really started to bother me and i couldn't figure out what was going on.

About a week ago my hair got greasy and disgusting. I thought it was the conditioner i changed to so i immediately went out and bought another one and my hair was still greasy right after i showered. It randomly went away after a couple of days and came back two days ago. Last night was by far the worst its ever been. It looked like someone smeared oil in my hair so I had my mom go out and buy the brown Listerine and suave clarifying shampoo. I was super skeptical about using Listerine in my hair, but i gave it a try. I literally just got out of the shower 30 mins ago and OMG, it really worked! i cannot believe it. if you haven't tried this i highly suggest doing so.

I shampooed twice, rinsed, and then lathered 3-4 caps of Listerine on my scalp. After i rinsed it out i just conditioned the ends of my hair. The only downfall to this is that i feel like i lost more hair while showering than i normally do. I plan on using it tomorrow and thats it. i really hope this doesn't come back.