Dermatology Expert Forum
Strange, non-itching rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Strange, non-itching rash

I have a strange "rash" (I guess tht's the best way to describe it) on, of all places, my buttocks. It doesn't itch, doesn't hurt, isn't numb or anything...if I couldn't see it in a mirror I wouldn't know it was there. I don't have it anywhere else on me. It's irregularly shaped but isn't raised or anything (I can't feel it...no bumps or raised places). It's lightly reddish in color. I think it may be spreading, but slowly. Currently it seems confined to that one area. I think I may have had it for a while, but just didn't notice it. Now, however, I am starting to get paranoid. I can't think of anything that could be causing it. Any ideas?
Paranoid:

I dunno.  The only thing that comes to mind is tinea (fungus.)  Have you got it up front in the groin?  Try over-the-counter clotrimazole 1% cream twice a day for 10 days.  If that doesn't help, see a doc.  If you keep examining your buttock, you will end up with both paranoia and a stiff neck.

Fungus, by the way, is generally not contagious.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff