Strange Bug Bite
My skin has reacted oddly to a particular bug this summer and I'm not sure exactly what it is. The bite at first looks like it is a mosquito bite, but then becomes pink and circular the next day. It then proceeds to become dark pink/splotchy, with a raised bump from where the bite must have occurred. The bite takes a couple weeks to heal and leaves a scar. Does anyone have any ideas? Am I just having a reaction to a certain type of mosquito? I don't think it could be a spider bite because I have gotten these bites several times during the summer, which seems like it would be too often for me to conclude it was a spider bite.
do you get these outside or while you sleep?
Hello, I have bites that sound similar to yours. Mine are from the tiny little gnats called no see ums. They are horrible and I have had mine for about 5 weeks. Once you scratch them they scab over and itch and burn. It's like a vicous cycle because when they never seem to heal if you scratch them at all. The ones that have healed are leaving pink flat scars. I did see a doctor who prescribed an antibiotic, but it doesn't seem to be helping. These bugs are small enough to come in through your screens in the windows. If your not being bitten when outside they could be getting into your house. Good luck!
It could be a mosquito or some other insect bite that is causing this reaction. Usually the bite area swells up and subsides in 4-5 days without leaving a scar.

You might be reacting differently to the bite due to an allergic predisposition or it could be due to an allergic response to an insect bite.
Visible, irritating bites are due to an immune response from the binding of antibodies to antigens in the mosquito's saliva. Scratching a mosquito bite usually serves to irritate and inflame the area further and increase the risk of infection and scarring.

You can use available anti-itch medications like Calamine lotion or a menthol-based cream on the bite areas.  This helps to alleviate the itching at the site. You can also take anti-histamine medications like Cetrizine/Loratidine to treat the reaction.

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito

Hi, its seems everytime I go to a lake I get the same bite.  Looks like a mosquito bite, itches like crazy, seems to turn into a blister then a sore.  It lasts for several weeks and leaves a small scar.  I just recently took a trip to a lake in Tennessee and received the same bite again.  I have been looking on the internet to learn what this is.  My only conclusion is that it is a no see um bite.  The only remedy I have found is to use a menthol based cream and an anti histamine.  I did find one unusual remedy that I haven't tried yet...using a Q tip and dipping it in boiling hot water and touching the bite then using zinc ointment. (Many precautions using the hot water!)  I know you posted this a while ago but I was wondering if you found out any more about this bite and how to treat it?