Strange Rash on Husbands finger, help!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Strange Rash on Husbands finger, help!

Last Saturday my husband started noticing a rash of small white bumps on his left hand middle finger. I looked at them, and touched them, he said they didn't hurt but they itched a little. Since last week I have not gotten any sort of rash that looks similar to his, so I am assuming it is not contagious. The rash has gotten a lot worse the past few days, it looks like it is spreading up his finger toward his hand. (it is on his whole finger top and bottom) The bumps are pretty small and look like they have some puss inside them. HIs finger is very bumpy and looks terrible right now. I have been trying to convince him to see the doctor about it and he said if it isn't better by Wednesday he will call. The thing is, we haven't been anywhere different than we normally do. We haven't switched soaps or anything like that either. I have no clue where he got this rash from! I thought it might be poison oak or something like that, but we haven't been camping and he hasn't touched any different plants at all. (we have no yard) If anyone has some sort of clue I would be so grateful!
Tags: strange, rashs, rash, on, husband, helps, help, fingers, Finger, than, bumps, contagious
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Dyshidrotic Eczema is deep-seated, itchy, blistering rash that usually occurs at the palms of the hands, sides of fingers, or on the soles of the feet. It was initially  thought to be caused by the trapping of sweat but is now believed to be caused by an inherited allergic response. Nickel, balsam, and cobalt may be likely to cause this allergic response while several factors can increase a persons risk for triggering a dyshidrotic eczema onset such as: exposure to chemicals such as fragrance from lotions, laundry detergent and fabric softener,  scented hand soaps and shampoos can cause allergic reactions. Sometimes anxiety or suppressed emotions like stress and frustration can also cause onsets.

Are there other signs or symptoms present? Is he allergic to any substances? Keeping irritated skin dry and cool, managing sweating or excessive dryness and avoiding jewelry and other objects made of nickel may be of help.  Antihistamines may help decrease the itching. If the condition persists, it would be best to see your dermatologist. It is important to rule out bacterial infections and other skin infections.  Take care and keep us posted.
I asked him if he had any other symptoms, and he said he felt fine other than a headache earlier last week. He is not allergic to any substances, (at least as far as we both know) Thank you so much for relpying to my question, I looked up pictures of Dyshidrotic Eczema and it looks exactly like what he has. It would make sense that this could be caused by stress, we lost our daughter in June and it has been a hard road for both of us since. Plus he is preparing for a new job, and it is weighing hard on him as well. If he still has this by tomorrow I will make him see the doctor very soon, thank you so much!
I have a similar rash between my left middle finger and left ring finger.  Nothing touches there that doesn't touch other fingers.  It is a very dry, cracking, and itching area.  I've seen my doc and was given some zink ointment that heals it but as soon as I stop it returns.  
there aren't really little bumps but the rest sounds the same.