Dermatology Expert Forum
Strange Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Strange Rash

A rash appeared on my belt line on two identicle areas (right and left of my belly button - two 3" areas).  It was light red slightly raised and itched.  The rash appeared in the darkest pigmented area I have on my body. It is strange that it stopped right on the tan line on both side  - it only appeared on tanned skin (stopped at the tan line - not on white skin).  It lasted a week.  The rash then appeared on my lower stomach (more spread out) and then on my legs (each side again - on the outside of my legs just below my butt - right and left leg - same time).  The strange thing again is that it stopped right on the tan lines again(the rash is only on tanned skin).  It comes and goes - about three weeks now.  I have not been in the sun.  My legs have been covered (shirts and pants during the day).  My liver enzymes were a little high recently (from drinking beer I think).  I quit drinking due to liver test two months ago.  The rash has appeared for about 3 weeks.  Can this be due to the changes in my digestion or system (because I quit drinking).  It is really strange - people I have shown think it is strange too.  I went to a tanning booth about 2 months ago - no burning and it was their lowest UV bed.  I was taking the herb St. John Wort and I stopped about 3 weeks ago.  The rash appeared on one leg again this morning.  About 3" in diameter - just slightly raised pink skin - feels a little thicker than regular skin - and it slightly itches - all other rashes have gone away for now.  What do you think?  The only other thing I can tell you is that it appears that the rash is on more fatty areas - if that helps.  I am 40 male about 20 pounds over weight 185 lbs. always been healthy - was drinking beer every evening (too many :) I have a high stress job - otherwise healthy.  Thanks so much for your help - this is a great service.  M
The kind of rash you describe sounds like something touching your skin from the outside, not something from the inside out.  As to what, I can only guess--sometimes the metal (nickel) in a belt buckle causes rashes near the navel.  I can't think of any connection with liver or beer.

Basically, you're going to have to show this in person to a doctor.  Since the rash is coming and going and moving around, you might want to take a picture to bring along in case it isn't there when you go.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff