Strange Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Strange Rash

I'm 37 years old and have over the last few months developed a very itchy rash on the center of my shins of both legs.  The rash appears to be red/purple in color and dry.  I was at the Dr's a few weeks ago and she prescripted a steroid for the rash but it does not seem to be helping.

It looks dry and could be some type of dry skin but has me concerned since it itches so bad and it is on both shins at the same spot.  It often bleeds when I scratch it and several times through the night I will wake because it itches so bad.

I do know that the Dr. checked my pulse in my legs and assured me that it was fine.  I'm concerned!
Tags: rash

You should not scratch the lesions as this would cause secondary infection. This could be dermatitis, eczema, allergic reaction or some insect bites.

Are you allergic to any specific substances? Have you taken any medications for the lesions?

You should keep the areas clean, wear cotton socks to avoid sweating, use a powder to keep the areas dry , use calamine lotion at the sites. Oral antihistamine medications would help if the lesions are itchy.

If your symptoms persist it would be best to reconsult your skin specialist because nothing can be said with surety without having a look at the lesions.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.