Dermatology Expert Forum
Strange penile skin irritation after sex

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I will be as precise as I can with my symptoms and I have seen a General Practitioner about the problem.  I left him scratching his head and only offering guesses.  First of all, this has never happened to me before with any other woman and it doesn't happen every time we have sex but it does happen most of the time.  She is totally asymptomatic and was sexually inactive for more than 2 years prior to being with me.  Next, I'm not huge or anything, but I am a pretty tight fit for her if you know what I mean and rubbing has been considered a possible or contributing factor to this problem.  We have tried and continue to use a lubricant liberally but the main problem persists.  Here are the symptoms:
1.  The skin around the shaft of my penis appears almost torn in places and is quite painful;
2.  There are patches of redness which are quite irritated and sometimes markedly swollen;
3.  Sometimes these red patches look almost like burns and will weep moisture like a burn will;
4.  The foreskin, particularly near the head of the penis, will begin to peel off within a day or two as it begins to heal;
5.  Sometimes there will be red irritated patches on the head of the penis and skin has even peeled of it as well on occassion;
6.  Beginning to end, I heal completely within 2 to 4 days depending on severity and I have found that topical Hydrocortison creme helps both healing time and pain greatly.
7.  It's almost as though I have an allergy to her or something in her burns me.

This is a real problem, I really like this woman but how can we have a completely healthy relationship together if I have this reaction everytime we have sex?  Have you ever heard of this?  What can we do?

Thank you for any help you can offer in advance.
This sounds like irritation, nothing more.  This does not suggest allergy in any way, just mechanical irritation. I suggest moisturizing before and after sex, lubrication during.  Your skin is irritated, not damaged.  For any further advice, you'll need to see a doctor in person.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Avatar n tn
Oh, one more thing:

8.  After a day or two the damaged skin becomes white, dry and cracks alittle right before it peels off.

now I'm done.
Avatar n tn
Thank you so much for your advice.  I will certainly give this a try and will report the results back here for anyone else who may suffer the same malady.

One final related question:
Since this is a rather sensitve area that is placed in her rather sensitive area, do you suggest any particular type or brand of moisturizer over another or will any OTC brand do?

Thank you again.
A related discussion, Red rash on penis shaft with weeping. was started.
A related discussion, red sore little bit itchy was started.