Strange rash with peeling occuring

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Strange rash with peeling occuring

Two weeks ago, I became very ill from what I thought to be food poisoning. During the day, I had eaten some eggs for breakfast, a small snack of some fruits and vegetables, then a dinner of sushi. I had a bit to drink (just a couple beers) with the sushi, and had gotten a slight buzz from the alcohol. When I got home, I started to get a headache and then felt as if I had a hangover. I blew it off as being the alcohol, but was dumbfounded for how hard it hit... I did not have enough to drink to feel that badly.

About an hour after that, I started vomiting, which proceeded to occur almost hourly for about 12 hours. At this point my wife and I had decided that it may be food poising. However, a friend of mine had eaten the same exact thing as I did at the sushi bar, and the remaining food I ate throughout the day was nothing new. The possibilities were endless as to what actually happened.

A day later, I started breaking out in a rash all over my body. The rash was more prominent in areas that were touched by clothing (t-shirt and underwear) - stomach, back, hips, buttocks, lats, inner arm, etc... After racking my brain over what might have recently changed, I thought it may be a new brand of detergent, as this was the ONLY change that had occurred within as couple weeks. I quickly changed back to my old brand and rewashed everything that had recently been washed. My rash started to clear up, but left my skin EXTREMELY dry and flaky.

It has now been exactly two weeks from the time I got sick, and 12 days from the time the rash showed up. The rash is still present and appears to be getting worse (it never went away completely). My skin is still dry and I have tried everything I can think of to moisturize it - lotion, cocoa butter cream, gold bond itch cream, baby oil - all of which create an extreme burn after applying. Skin is red and blotchy primarily on inner arms, buttocks and sides of stomach (waist line), and peeling. Palms and between fingers are peeling, and the new skin appears to be starting to peel as well. Skin is not unusually itchy until irritated (minor scratches, bumping, rubbing, etc...).

Any ideas of what this rash might be and how to cure it?
One of the possibilities for your symptoms is eczema. Eczema is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps, Solvents, chemicals, certain foods, food additives, plants, metals, cosmetics, even urine and faeces of some animals (dust mites).

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid which are available by prescription.  Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.