Dermatology Expert Forum
Strange results from blackhead treatment

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

In Apr I had a facial. The lady said I had a lot of blockages and she could help. I never went back. Instead I purchased some topical ointments from a company on the internet. I don't want to say the name on this post. All the ingredients are herbal. The ointment for the blackheads really dried out my skin, but I could see that it was causing my skin to exfoliate, so I continued using it. When I applied the medicine, little white chunks came out of my pores for about five minutes. Anyway, this medicine is supposed to dissolve blackheads in 2-4 weeks (it worked on my husband's in less than 24 hrs). Now August and I still have blackheads, although my pores are smaller. Some did come out. The ones on my nose were like very thin hairs (usually black, sometimes, bluish), between 1/4" and 1" in length. About one month into treatment, I noticed what appeared to be a very large blackhead on my leg (I was not putting this stuff on my leg). I squeezed out the contents, black and thick. For ten days afterward, white, rubbery stuff came out that looked like string cheese. It has healed up, but left a scar. My self diagnosis, after internet research, was a sebaceous cyst (which I understand is no longer correct since it is keratin).

Next, I had a reaction to the cinnamon extract in the antibacterial cleanser that came with the regimen. A blister (?) appeared on my chin,  when I touched it, the skin rubbed away leaving raw skin that had little white bits sticking up through my exposed pores. I thought it was a boil, but I guess not. (This did not leave scar tissue, but there is a divet (sp?) where the spot was, and it is still a pinkish color although greatly faded.) In July, I had a sebaceous cyst type thing on the tip of my nose (left side). The only difference between that one and the one on my leg is that the one on my nose had several "drainage areas" as opposed to one central opening. The keratin things were just stuck in there. Washing did not help. Finally one poked through enough that I yanked it out with tweezers (It was like rubber)!  After the thing on my nose healed, a deep "hole" developed. My fault as I tried a blackhead extractor (garbage) on that spot a few days before. The hole grew to include other pores and became infected. I went to a dermatologist who informed me there are no such things as boils and told me I had rosacea. (my nose was pretty red from the infection). He prescribed kefelx and noritate. I took the antibiotic but haven't used the noritate. I have not gone for second opinion. Now I have another "hole" on my nose that also expanded to include neighboring pores and a "blister" on my chin (other side) where the skin just rubbed away (white blobs/raw skin). A "cyst" right under my nose (left side), one on my left cheek, a large swelling mass on my left  cheekbone, and a cluster of tiny blisters above my lip.

Before I go to another dermatologist, I want to be as informed as possible. Your opinion would be appreciated. Thank you.
I agree with your diagnosis of sebaceous cyst on the leg.  Best to leave it alone from now on.

As to your nose, I think your dermatologist diagnosed rosacea because of all the red marks on your nose, perhaps not realizing that you had provoked these yourself by your various manipulations.  (I don't know what he could have meant by "there are no such things as boils"--are you sure that's what he said?)

By all means get another opinion, but in the meantime I strongly urge you to do nothing except to wasn gently.  No exfoliation, no poking, no nothing.  Then show the dermatologist in 3 weeks or so (if there's anything left to show.)  And in future, please leave the blackhead evacuation to a professional . . .

Best.

Dr. Rockoff