Stretch marks....hereditary or preventable?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Can anyone tell me if stretch marks are preventable with so-called stretch mark creams or whether some people are just going to get them anyway?
Creams containing alpha hydroxyl acids and retin-A are said to be useful in decreasing the stretch marks but the advertised antimarks creams have no proof of effectiveness. Eat healthy, nutritious food ,drink plenty of fluids and do moderate exercises. Laser therapy and dermabrasion alone or in combination have also been shown to be effective in diminishing the appearance of stretch marks. For that you need to consult a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you! I am 5 1/2 months along at the moment. No stretch marks so far.