Dermatology Community
Sudden, severe, itchy rash covering genitals
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
Blank Blank

Sudden, severe, itchy rash covering genitals

First off, I'll start by saying I have no insurance and, to be frank, no money to go see a doctor, so I'm hoping this is something I can take care of myself.

Approximately 3 days ago, I noticed a slight itching around the upper side base of my penis.  The next morning, the itching had spread downward to the underside of the penis and along the outside of both testicles.  I noticed when I scratched, it turned bright red and began to feel very bumpy, and the itch only became worse.  By that night, the rash was covering the entire underside length of the shaft of the penis (but not the sides or top), both side of the scrotum (but not along the crease between testicles), and entirely surrounding the base of the upper side of the penis.  The circumcision scar along the underside of the penis has become very swollen and almost ridge-like.  I've also noticed a few isolated spots further up the shaft.  The head is entirely unaffected.  I'd describe the rash as being hundreds of connected bumps, it almost looks like the entire affected area is swollen.  But there are no blisters, no plaques, no heads like on a pimple, no discharge, and no odor.

At this point, the rash is red all the time, not just when I scratch, and the itching is enough to drive me out of my mind.  Unfortunately, I've changed so many things in my life recently (healthy diet, began exercising, cut down on smoking), that I have no idea what the culprit could be, though a new brand of laundry detergent certainly seems to be the most likely (though the rash being limited to my genitals strikes me as very odd).  I've tried baby powder, which made the itch subside temporarily; moisturizer, thinking that perhaps it was dry skin; and Lotrimin spray in case it was a fungus brought on by humidity and exercise, but that only made the itch much worse and added a burning sensation to the mix.

It's really the size and shape of the rash that's freaking me out, the fact that the affected area is almost perfectly symmetrical, or that it covers the entire bottom of my shaft but not the top or sides, and then doesn't cover a single inch of the crease of my scrotum, just the surrounding areas.  Very, very weird.  Anyone ever seen anything like this?  And would you recommend anything?  I'm going to get new laundry detergent tonight and just wash everything multiple times, I'll probably pick up either Benadryl or Hydrocortisone as well to see if I can actually get to sleep tonight...
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Update:  Switched laundry detergents and re-washed all clothing, rash continues to get worse.  Swelling in certain spots has increased significantly, and the affected spots are beginning to get sore.  Neither oral nor topical Benadryl has any effect, nor does 1% Hydrocortisone cream.  Think it's emergency room time.
It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or eczema.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Post a Comment
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
TMJ/TMJ The Connection Between Teet...
Jan 27 by Hamidreza Nassery , DMD, FICOI, FAGDBlank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top Dermatology Answerers
San francisco, CA