Sudden Acne

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sudden Acne

I always had very clear skin even during teenage years, but all of a sudden in past year I just started breaking out on my forehead, chin, cheeks...really bad breakouts starting red, some have white heads that pop eventually...first I thought that waxing causes it and stopped, but nothing helps...no systems, nothing....I haven't had any amounts of stress, no real change in diet, I do take birthcontrol pills every couple of months, but break outs started before i started on them...I don't know what to do, it looks horrible....
Hi there,
Sorry to hear about your breakouts. I know how heartbreaking it can be! I recently went through a bout of unusual breakouts as well, and it took a lot of thought and experimentation to understand what the cause was. I too had always had balanced skin, so I was mystified.
You say that you haven't changed your diet, but be sure you're including supplements and vitamins as well. My initial breakout was caused by CLA, an oily vitamin used for weight loss.
Waxing can definitely lead to breakouts as it strips the skin of it's protective barrier, exposing the deepest layers of your pores to dirt and bacteria that they don't normally have to deal with. Overwashing and exfoliating does this as well. Try to refrain from overtreating  as hard as it may be when you're breaking out. The skin wants to be hydrated and balanced, and too much of any treatment can dry the skin and trigger more oil production.
The key is simplicity. Wash once in the morning with a gentle cleanser and apply an oil-free moisturizer, no matter what your skin type. Always use oil-free, gentle makeup. Cleanse again at night, and apply a thin layer of treatment if needed. Pure Aloe vera gel is great for all skin conditions, acne included.
When your skin is in a healthier state, exfoliating once or twice a week is okay. But until then, try to avoid any irritations.

It can be a case of adult acne which occur due to hormonal imbalance at this age. Just keep you face clean by washing with a mild soap atleast twice a day. Pat it dry and do not rub it. Avoid picking or pressing the acne. You can also use Benzoyl peroxide 5% lotion or gel once at bedtime. An amount of lotion the size of a pea should be enough to cover most of your face. If your skin becomes red or peels, you are using too much of the medicine or applying it too often. If the symptoms persist then please get it evaluated from a dermatologist and get topical antibiotics like Clindamycin prescribed.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.