Sudden Bald Spot on The back of my head

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sudden Bald Spot on The back of my head

2883422?1210287282
i have recently found out that i had a bald spot on my head one the size of a nickle and grew to a quarter and two other ones it was a little red where the bald spot occured and i have been geting small rashes all over my body from itching. can you give me some advice to what i may have i posted a picture of my bald spot
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The bald spot appeared with the rash?

Or have you had the bald spot prior to the rash and itching?

A complete physical examination is needed to rule out an underlying scalp disease.Hair loss may be associated with scalp disease such as a fungal infection and seborrheic dermatitis.

A microscopic evaluation of scalp scrapings or skin scrapings may help determine the presence of a fungal infection.Treating the underlying problem will help resolve hair loss.

In instances wherein scalp disease is absent, a genetic component such as a male or female pattern baldness, alopecia and telogen effluvium may be differentials.

How would you describe the rash in other parts of th body?

Where are they located?

Are they scaly, itchy?
the rashes occur all throughout my body on my thigh some on my back that usually come from itching i scratch and it turns into a rash my head was also itching and i had been scratching it i thoguht it could have been because of eating something i was alergic (allergic) too but i don't think it is anymore and i had been using a doctor priscribed (prescribed) cream "triamcinolone acetonide" that would usualy make the rashes go away but then they would come back from itching the bald spots have suddenly occured probably over a month ago and it has just gotten worse
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Generalized itching suggests an allergic reaction to an unknown trigger. A fungal infection is also yet to be established here.The fact that there is associated hair loss,a fungal infection  and seborrheic dermatitis have to be considered here .These are conditions that usually involve the scapl and may lead to hair loss.

Take antihistamines for the itching. Also, continue using the topical medications and try to observe your condition. If there are any possible known triggers like abrasive soaps and cleansers, food, heat, smoke and alcohol, avoid them as much as possible.

If the condition persists ,you may need a referral to an allergologist.
i thoguht it might have been shrimp or clams but is it odd that i have always eaten them since i was a child but have never broken out from itching and rashes and i suddenly become allergic to something i wasnt before? the itching and rashes have probably occured over 2 or 3 months ago and the cream would make them go away but they would come back and the bald spots have occured over the past month i had also noticed that a month or so ago i was getting dandruff even thoguh i shower and shampoo everyday. can constant scratching of my scalp result in hair loss
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The image that you have  posted showed patchy but well defined hair loss with absence of redness, excoriations , discharge ,scaling ( based on image ) and plaque formation. This may help rule out a fungal infection of the scalp which usually presents with some degree of redness and hair stubbles due to broken hairs atop the involved area. Seborrheic dermatitis does present with a diffuse hair loss which may not be obvious to the examiner. This differs from that of a fungal infection.

Mechanical trauma may cause hair loss. Intense and frequent scratching may lead to patchy hair loss if this results to pulling out hair from the area. But the evidence is not very strong.

If a diagnosis remains elusive, a complete physical examination and a referral to a rheumatologist may help. A skin biopsy may also be necessary.