Sudden Increase in body hair
I am a 35 year old male and over the last month I have had a sudden increase growth in arm hairs. They have literally grown to at least 4 or 5  times their usual length and they are growing straight out (not flat against the skin). I have also had hairs starting to grow in places I have never had before such as on my back and shoulders. All my life my body hair has been relatively short so this sudden growth is freaking me out.

I have recently been diagnosed as having a primary CMV infection, can this virus cause abnormal hair growth like this ?

Any help appreciated.
It can be due to hirsutism or excessive hairiness. The etiologic forms of hirsutism include endocrine-related, idiopathic, medication-related, and miscellaneous. Endocrine-related causes include adrenocortical disorders. It may also be due to insulin resistance and androgen excess.

A number of investigations like testosterone and ACTH need to be done to confirm the diagnosis. I suggest you to consult an endocrinologist and get it evaluated.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.