Sudden Sun Sensitivity

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sudden Sun Sensitivity

I am 43 years old and have never had problems being in the sun until this year.  The first time I experienced it I had decided to use a tanning bed (hadn't done that in years) and almost immediately every exposed area of my skin started to itch intensely.  I had to get out of the tanning bed within 5 minutes.  It wasn't until a few weeks ago, at my daughter's soccer game that I experienced the same sensation; I started to itch like crazy within about 10 minutes of being in the sun, again only the exposed areas (my chest,arms, neck and face).  I am going to try a high UVA sunblock and I think I read that taking an antihistamine before going out might help.  I  know that you cannot offer me a definitive diagnosis, but why would I suddenly develop a sun sensitivity?
Thank you
  • Itching from sun (2 replies):
    I have read the other questions posted about itching fro...[more]
  • Sun rash (23 replies):
    I have had a problem for a number of years and have had ...[more]
  • sun rash (9 replies):
    Hi Dr. Is it possible to develop an allergic type of ra...[more]
  • Psoriasis AND Rosacea (2 replies):
    I have both conditions and manage both quite well with a...[more]
  • Sun Rash (1 replies):
    as past 5 years i have always developed a rash on my fac...[more]
Avatar dr f tn

Your sun sensitivity could be triggered by certain medications or chemicals found in your colognes/perfumes, cosmetics, skin lotions, and even sunscreens. It may also be caused by  pre-existing diseases such as rosacea, lupus or atopic dermatitis. Cool compress,  cortisone cream or over-the-counter antihistamine medication may also help. However, it is recommended to prevent too much sun exposure and to use sunscreens or UV protected clothing. If it persists, have this evaluated further by your dermatologist.

Take care and do keep us posted.
Avatar n tn
Thank you very much!!  I wish I could attribute it to meds, but I am not on any.  I don't usually use perfumes and I don't apply lotion to my chest.  Haven't used any sunscreen as of yet....it must be a dermatitis.  I don't have rosacea or lupus (to my knowledge).  I have a past history (20 years ago) of having neurodermatitis, could it be related to that?  That condition disappeared 20 years ago after having it for at least 5 excruciating years.
Thanks again!!

Recently I took Apis mel (homeopathic ) medicine and some uric acid controlling pills. I could see that now my skin is very sensitive to sun and started getting brown and also shows sign of small dry skin kind of feeling.
Any suggession / medicine to get rid of this issue.

Dilip