Sudden change in skin texture

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sudden change in skin texture

Hi, I would really appreciate some pointers as I really don't know what's happening to my skin. I am a 35 years old female, and for the past 10 months, have noticed my skin texture changing. I have in the past suffered from acne which has been under control in recent years, and have always had quite fine textured skin (not many visible pores outside my t-zone).
Around last summer, I started noticing changes in my body skin, with what appeared to be appearance of pores in places like my chest, which gave it a slightly net-like appearance. This was accompanied by rashes over my neck, chest, upper arms and back. As some of these rashes were around my armpit and breast, I was seen by a breast clinic who ruled out any breast cancer. In the months that followed, I increasingly became more and more run down, with my hair going lank,  until earlier this year I became so exhausted that I couldn't get out of bed for a couple of weeks. I also felt confused with poor memory. My doctor ordered a blood test which showed vitamin B12 deficiency, severe Vitamin D deficiency, and a subclinical hypothyrodism. I was given some high dose vitamin D tablets and some B12 injections and felt much better. Few weeks later, I started feeling run down again, and eventually 2 months later I went for another blood test, testing my thyroid and vitamin B12 levels which returned normal results. No further investigations were carried out. In the months that followed, I have been alternating between extreme levels of exhaustion lasting 3 weeks or so, accompanied by very poor memory/concentration and then returning to functional level of energy though tired. My skin is worse than it's ever been. Virtually all pores on my face are now open, (no blackheads) the skin is rough and every pore, every bump is visible, as though it's lost it's top layer or something. It's covered in fine burst capillaries and every spot or cut on it seems to take forever to heal. In fact, even though I am using topical zinc and antibiotic solution on my face, a spot won't heal for over 6 months. Every new spot or blemish becomes a scar and I look around 5 years older. My hair is  lank and stringy and I have suddenly gotten bursts of grey hair everywhere. I take multivitamins etc and nothing seems to help. Please help me, I don't feel like me anymore.
Sorry it's not 10 months, actually more like a year. I also should mention that I seem to be getting recurrent skin infection that my doctor (nor a dermatologist) said is probably a fungal infection, and also that the skin on my neck and upper arms all seem to have pigmented pores and I keep getting little blood spots on my chest and neck under my skin. I don't know if these things are related.
Hmm. I guess nobody knows.
Hey there, I stumbled upon your post while searching a very similar issue with myself. I'm just so sorry nobody has given you any wisdom thus far. Are you still having issues or have you learned any possible causes for your symptoms yet? I am 39 and within the last year my pores all over my face have become very pronounced, even in areas that have always been smooth such as my temples and cheekbones. My skin is taking on an "orange peel" appearance AND to top it off, I'm getting peach fuzz on my cheeks.....GREAT. Did I mention I am a female...female + face hair = big downer! Anyway, I honestly think this is all hormone related. I've had mine checked but was within the rediculously broad range. My next step will be an endocrinologist visit instead of a general Dr. By the way, 35 was when my hair began to turn gray and start thinning....stay positive, you're not alone girlfriend!    
The skin is closely linked to digestion, and you have vitamin deficiencies, so you need to see a gastroenterologist and find out if you have Celiac disease, colitis, or some other absorptive problem.  

Not only did I have vitamin deficiencies, I also was iron deficient, and it causes a terrible run-down feeling and hair loss.  Don't give up; nobody cares as much as you, and it's only going to get worse.  I know you feel too tired to pursue it, but only you can.  
Hi there,

Your skin condition is a symptom of other deficiencies and the fact that you are run down and so on. You have what Dr Mark Starr would most likely say is "hypothyroidism type 2" which he says mainstream medical doctors are unable to diagnose because they rely on what have been shown to be useless blood tests to determine this illness.  There are several things you can do to help yourself.  You can start taking iodine in 12.5mg per day doses. To begin with you may experience unwanted symptoms because toxins have caused the hypothyroidism and iodine displaces these. When displaced they can cause a bit of tummy irritation until they are eliminated.  There is a whole protocol to follow. I recommend David Brownstein's approach which is to take iodine with its companion supplements:  Vit C, Magnesium, Selenium and other vitamins. Others also recommend trymethylglycine (TMG) which helps the liver detox during this process.  You need to read these pages:  http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iprotocol.html, http://www.*************************/2013/12/29/companion-nutrients-the-key-to-iodine-protocol/   I myself only learned of these since my own doctor failed to detect why I was so run down etc etc  You need also to stop drinking unfiltered water.  Fluoride and chlorine are displacing the very small amounts of iodine in your body and causing your thyroxine to be deplete of iodine.  This results in hypothyroidism.  I guarantee that taking iodine with co-supplements would help you. But if you are not like me and do have tricky symptoms along the way then you really need to consult a good holistic medico such as Mark Starr, David Brownstein etc.  You need to search these people and try to find a doctor near you:  Major Iodine Literate Practitioners suggest how to supplement iodine:  http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iprotocol.html  Don't be put off by this being a breast cancer web site.  Breast cancer and other cancers are a consequence of iodine insufficiency.  So by taking iodine you also set yourself up to prevent these and many other diseases.  Hypothyroidism is the underlying disease that leads to a whole host of diseases that occur due to a weakened immunity.  Feel free to email me at mwhiting55 at yahoo ******* if you want further info.