Sudden facial volume / fat loss

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sudden facial volume / fat loss

Im a 27 year old male. Over a period of one month I lost a LARGE amount of volume/fat from my face. Most people I think that I have lost a substantial amount of weight, or I am sick. One person even guessed I had lost 30lbs. My weight never changed. The only place where the fat loss is occured is in my face.

My temples, cheeks, eyes have all sunken in, and you can see the musculature structure and veins under my  forehead.

Ive gone to doctors and all tests come back normal. Im HIV Negative and otherwise healthy. The loss is bilateral and symmetrical.

This has caused me to become severely depressed for the year and a half. In an attempt to fix things I gained 25lb of pure fat, and it did little to change my face.

Im so lost I do not know what to do, Im considering plastic surgery because I feel as though I have no other option, I dont recognize myself in the mirror and whenever I spend time with people I know they just look at me like what happened to you.

One test that did come back irregular was a hormone test. My blood levels of Testosterone and Estrogen were in normal limits, but then I decided to do a full hormonal 24hr urine panel. The Urine results showed my Testosterone levels were very low for someone my age. And one doctor recommended going on Testosterone Replacement Thereapy.

Im not sure how reliable Urine testing is for hormone levels, since opinions on it differ and dont want to start hormonal therapy if i dont need it, since my blood levels were fine. Can someone help elaborate on this?
One other thing i did notice when my face deflated was my oily skin became dry. Not dry, like flaking, but just dry. Prior to that I had the oiliest skin Ive seen on anyone, it was quite a change. I know testosterone plays a role in skin oil levels so I am intrigued there.
But what I dont understand is that, wouldnt higher testosterone levels cause my face to become thinner? Why would why face thin out if my testosterone levels had suddenly became low?

I dont know where to turn, any help would be much appreciated. This depression is getting to much to handle, I have been seeing a psychiatrist, and on medication for over a year.

Tags: sudden, facial, volume, fat, fat loss, facial volume, facial fat, testosterone, hormone imbalance
I also had a Brain MRI done, that came back NORMAL.
Low testosterone can cause  sexual dysfunction (unable to maintain erections), reduced sex drive (reduced sexual activity) , decreased energy, loss of body hair, reduced shaving, depressed mood , decrease in bone strength and reduced muscle mass.

For the same, you can consult a urologist and get your serum testosterone levels checked. For the sinked in cheeks, you may need collagen fillers or plastic surgery.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

As a rule, localized lipodystrophies are not associated with metabolic or systemic disorders, they tend to resolve spontaneously, and they have an excellent prognosis.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1082390-overview

Take heart, you should recover with good diet and moderate exercise.
Cheers!