Sudden oily scalp, the crown area. Will not wash out, why? What is it? I am healthy and bath daily.
The crown area of my scalp suddenly became very oily.  I have washed my hair with every shampoo I thought was strong or harsh.  I have even tried liquid dish detergant.  Nothing works.  I am a healthy woman who baths daily, I say this to offset the idea that maybe I am ill or unclean.  Please tell me what this is, how I can get rid of it and how I might be able to prevent it from coming back.
Hello!

I never write on forums but I felt like I really had to this tis time. Like all of you, I experienced the same problem all of a sudden three days ago.The crown of my head got really oily and the oil would not come off no matter how much I scrubbed it with whatever shampoo. I was using the same shampoo, taking the same diet and was not going through any kind of stress. Instead of trying different things on my own, I immediately contacted my dad who is a GP. He asked me to immediately start using this medicated shampoo called "Nizoral" by Johnson & Johnson (Jenson in some countries). I only had to use the shampoo once to get rid of the oil.I will use the shampoo for another week and then slowly go back to my regular shampoo. All of you facing the same problem, please go and buy Nizoral. It treats fungal infections like Seborrhoic dermatitis which may cause excessive secretion of oils.

Cheers!

Naz.
To all you ladies out there who feel unclean or gross about the craziness that used to be your beautiful luscious locks:
BREAK THRU!!
I'm 33. Never had a problem with my hair. LOVE my hair, can't stand putting anything in it cuz I like to run my hands thru it. 2 weeks ago my hair had a heavy layer of greasy/ waxy buildup. I was crushed! My life has been hectic lately; so stressful, then to top it off I can't even feel pretty any more cuz of the crud growing on my head. Now, to cut to the chase. I'm not sure what did it but last night I sprinkled a little bit of baking soda on my crown and part and rubbed it into my scalp. Slept on it (it'll feel grainy til you wash it out). Next morning shower, used my L'Oreal go 360 clean face wash just on the top. Rinsed, shampooed again with a dollop of a different shampoo. Rinsed. Put conditioner on the tips. Rinsed thoroughly. Styled my hair with round brush and blow dryer.
Went to the gym (after months of no working out) and sweated out my stresses. Went online one last time to do a search, JACKPOT   http://www.livestrong.com/article/508334-how-to-decrease-sebum-on-the-scalp/#page=1
It says to not go harsher on the scalp, go gentler, ie baby shampoo. So I bought the travel sized orange original baby shampoo for $1.98 at the grocery store.

I still had to feel like I was trying!  So, at home in my second shower of the day. Baby shampoo, lathered up good and scrubbed my scalp. Rinse. Face scrub, rinse. Conditioner, rinse. Baby shampoo again, rinse. Conditioner on the tips, not all over...final rinse in Luke warm water to close the hair follicle. Lemme tell ya!! What an improvement!! My hair is so close to normal I can't believe it!! My next shower will be one round baby shampoo, one round conditioner.  GOOD LUCK!! I hope you all feel fabulous again!!
Just wanted to say thanks because this actually WORKED...finally!

First, I had a friend squirt the original, green Palmolive in my hair, all around the spot. Then she rubbed and scrubbed that in. Next, she added Target brand apple cider vinegar, followed by lemon juice. After rubbing that all in and letting it sit for about 15 minutes, I got in the shower. I mixed the Palmolive and Herbal Essences Drama Clean together and shampooed my entire head. Then I used Neutrogena T/Gel and shampooed. To finish, I used Pantene Beautiful Lengths conditioner and conditioned my whole head. Once all my hair was dry, all the oil/goo was finally gone!! :)
I HAVE THE SOLUTION!

this EXACT same thing happened to me a couple years ago. i searched the web and found a girl with the answer.
buy the original brown listerine ($4) and suave clarifying shampoo ($2). in your shower pour about 3 cap fulls of the listerine on the affected area. massage it in and let it sit for about 5 mins. repeat this step. then after you rinse out the listerine for the 2nd time, shampoo with the clarifying shampoo. rinse well.  you can shampoo again with your regular shampoo if you would like, but i didn't feel the need.
after the first time i did this my oily/waxy patch was about 80% gone. after the 2nd day's shower the residue was 100% completely gone. it's been almost 2 years, and i have not had anything return.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
Hi! My hair as well randomly created this oily residue, as if i dipped my hair in thick olive oil right after I showered, and there didn't seem to be any way to get rid of this.

Over a month ago for weeks and weeks I was loosing clumps of hair every morning, and I thought it was hormones or my body changing, but I noticed one person on here had the same issue..

Also I recently had a nasty sinus infection where another person on here had one as well which soon after they developed the greasy crown.

Just like many I went to the Pharmacist/doctor and explained my situation and he just stared at me like I was crazy, he had no idea what I was talking about...

I couldn't believe when I found this site how many other people (men and women) who experienced this same issue.

After reading EVERYONE'S comments, and writing down what seemed to be the most popular remedies I created my own little list and hoped for the best, and to my excitement my hair is back to normal!! It has only been a day, but if I can keep up these remedies by preventing the grease from coming back (if it comes back), then I'm happy with that, and it only cost me around $10! Yes I used many different remedies, so I don't know exactly what worked but all I know was that I wasn't going to take any chances, and it worked! WARNING, your significant other, friends or family may look at your weird while you create a science lab in your bathroom.

1) Washed my hair with baby shampoo, the amount I used was enough for one use, mixed in a small bowl with about a tablespoon and a half of baking soda. I gently massaged through my head, making sure I got every part of my scalp and all through my hair. Rinsed.

2) Poured 3 cap fulls of brown original flavor Listerine. I poured at the top of my forehead and let it leak down my head, the feeling was cold and tingly.. don't get it on your face, it kind of burns your eyelids even if you don't get it in your eyes.. it was an accident. I left in for about 3 mins.

3) Wash with a small amount of baby shampoo to get the mouthwash out.

4) Poured about 3-4 cap fulls (mouthwash cap size) of apple cider vinegar with a bit of water because in some of the comments it says to dilute it a bit. Leave in for 20 mins. I ringed out my hair, and put my hair in an old towel so I didn't have to sit bent over the tub for a long time staring at the wall. I made dinner in that time.. My husband thought I was crazy with vinegar hair.. *sigh*

5) I rinsed the vinegar out with just water because I didn't want to over wash my hair and was done the process for the night.

6) In the morning I repeated the shampoo, baking soda and Listerine steps in the shower. I don't know if I needed to do this, but like I said I wasn't taking any chances and I wanted to be totally sure it was gone. After I conditioned with Head and Shoulders for dry scalp, its the one with Zinc and Almond in it.. it was in my cupboard so I figured it should help = )

I know its a big process, but it was cheap and in reality only took less than an hour = ) it was worth it because I don't look and feel like a greasy monkey at work, I did buy medicated shampoo at the store, but I tried the home remedies first and I don't think I need it, goo thing I kept the receipt!  = ) hope this helps, and to all the other comments thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!
It's hormones. It has to be that. I have been following these posts,  and hormone changes, whether natural, as in menopause, peri-menopause, pharmeceutical or just plain age related; this all seems to be the common denominator. I tried the palmollive and listerine treatment a month ago.  Worked beautifully. It now is coming back, I think. I am beginning menopause, and using absolutely NONE of the products or drugs the rest of you are talking about.
Hello Lauren_94
My daughter who is soon to be 15 has been experiencing this same problem for a few days now. She showers, rinsing all the shampoo out and applying conditioner on just the ends and still had sticky, greasy hair. We tried what was suggested by quite a few people and used apple cider vinegar on the crown and let it sit for 10 min. Next I used Head and Shoulders to cleanse and V05 Clarifying conditioner to the tips. We blow dried her hair using a medium heat setting and it made a big improvement. I figured vinegar was a safe natural place to start. I hope this helps. It's a frustrating ordeal for her at such a young age
Your situation sounds exactly like mine! I started noticing some flaking right around my face area (temples and forehead where the hair starts), and decided to use some Head & Shoulders for a fix. I went to blow dry my hair and thought I must have not rinsed it good. Used it again the next day, rinsed, used volume shampoo on my crown for an extra cleanse and then hit it with a little conditioner. Still "sticky"!!! I just don't understand why it started AFTER I used Head & Shoulders that first time. Now I guess I'll try the other remedies on here.  
HI everyone.

I have been researching this problem for the past couple of days. I too found that after I washed my hair, it would still feel sticky and greasy. I was really confused because I felt like I had been paying extra attention to my hair and scalp lately. I tried to use natural shampoos and conditioners, as well as regularly use coconut oil treatments. I had even been experimenting using ACV and baking soda. I thought that there was no way that I could possibly "clarify" my hair any more.

However, since researching it, I think I found out what the problem is. Ive read that many people here have found this happened after they used a hair dye. Both Hair dye and baking soda are very alkaline (over 7 on the Ph scale) and they both open up the cuticle of the hair and raise the ph levels of your hair (which is usually around 4.5) After using a very alkaline substance, you are supposed to use an acidic one to bring your hairs levels back down.

What must have happened is that both the dye and the baking soda (or perhaps even very alkaline shampoos) have stripped away the sebum of our hair ( which is more acidic) which makes our hair unable to defend itself against bacteria or fungus etc.

THEN, because all the sebum was stripped away so forcefully, our scalp went into TOTAL overdrive mode and 'waxed' our hair in order to protect itself--making it appear oily.

The solution I suppose would be to restore our bodies (especially our scalps) natural PH levels. That is why people have been finding success with using vinegar and other acidic rinses. Beer I believe is almost the exact same level as our hair, but we may need something more acidic to counteract the high alkaline.

I am not a scientist ( by any means)  and I may have gotten something wrong, but this is the only reasonable explanation that I can come up with for this mess on my head. I sincerely hope this helps someone (or maybe someone can expand on it) because I have also been going crazy with this for ages.

good luck!
Hello!!

I had the same concern last week and about a month before. I found two solutions; Henna & Shikakai powder.  I used Henna last month, it washed the greasiness from my hair. But it was back last week again, I realized the reason for this is chemicals in the shampoos and conditioners. We need a organic or herbal way to deal with this. Shikakai powder is a traditional Indian function of shampoo. It cleanses the hair and scalp with out any chemicals    (absolutely no chemicals). I have decided to use Shikakai once a week to avoid relapse.

Hope this helps.
Hi everyone!

Was just experiencing this problem, and I gotta say it was pretty stressful! I read all the comments and thought I'd try a couple remedies out.

Just wanted to let you know that the Listerine trick worked wonders for me! I first thoroughly washed my hair with the Pantene Pro-V Aqua Light CLEANSE RINSE shampoo (silicone free - my friend had recommended me to try a Pantene shampoo- I believe she used their ICE cleansing shampoo which worked for her as she had gone through the same thing recently!), and then poured 3 caps full of Listerine on the area (mine was only on the left side, and on the top and crown of my head). I let it sit for a few minutes, washed it out, and then used the shampoo again and rinsed.

As soon as I got out of the shower, I could tell the difference! My hair looks 100% back to normal! It still feels a little waxy (well hardly at all compared to what it was like before), but I'm sure that will go away in one more wash or so.

Just wanted to confirm to you all that this worked for me!

Cheers
It really isn't dandruff. I'm using Head and Shoulders already, I have barely had any dandruff whatsoever and this is still happening to me. I'm sorry, but you missed the mark on this one.
It's such a huge relief to read through all these posts! About a week ago, I noticed that no matter how well I washed my hair, it felt kind of clumpy and greasy at the roots, even while I was washing the shampoo/conditioner out of my hair. To begin with, it was minimal and I guess I just assumed it was nothing, so I ignored it.

But this morning, I washed my hair, then dried it and straightened it and it's HORRIBLE!!! Someone else said it felt like hairspray on wet hair and that hits the nail on the head for me. I don't know if anyone else would notice it to look at me but it feels dreadful.

So, what has changed??

Well, I switched my pill from Loestrin 30 to Femodene about 3 months ago. At the end of the first second pill packet I had to go straight on to the next without a 7-day break and I am now due for my period in less than a week. I've also started getting spots all over my face and neck in the last two weeks, which has never happened before. So in all, I think it would make sense for it to be hormonal more than anything else, which kind of ***** because I have no idea what to do about that!!

I feel quite upset about it, really. I'm 29 and I had awful hair until I was 18, so it's like I had nice hair for 11 years and now it's all gone to hell!

My husband has picked me up some apple cider vinegar today and I have Johnson's Baby Shampoo already (good for make up brushes, dontcha know!)  so tomorrow morning I'll have a bash at washing it with both of those and report back.

Another thing I find interesting is how many people have said they were using Head and Shoulders when the problem started. I've used it for years but couldn't get hold of my usual one (Soft and Silky) so since just before this started, I've been using Classic Clean. Maybe that has something to do with it as well?

Will let you know how I get on but it's a big relief to know I'm not alone in this!!
I am so glad I found this post! For the past week I have had increasingly greasy hair at my crown, and it has been driving me CRAZY. I was so self conscious about it, and haven't been able to wear my hair down at all. Here is what I just did, after reading all of the comments, and my hair is CLEAN:

1) rinse hair with 1/2 c vinegar 1/3 c water mixture. let sit for a few minutes
2) shampoo with Neutrogena T/Sal (I couldn't find Nizoral, but I'm sure that works too) TWO times. I let it sit in my hair for 5 minutes each time.
3) shampoo with a clarifying shampoo from my local beauty supply store (it is specifically made to wash out product buildup).
4) I completely skipped any conditioner, even at the ends of my hair!! the last thing I wanted was to add moisture or oil.

I am very happy to say my hair is finally clean, and I think the culprit has been the increasingly hot weather (90+ degrees) and wearing my hair in a ponytail every day for the gym. Lesson learned! Let you hair breathe, people!
Okay ladies, I'm pleased to say that my hair has been nicely fixed this morning!

After my last post (2 days ago) I decided to wait a little before I washed my hair again, so I wouldn't risk causing problems through washing it too often.

This morning, I doused my hair in half a bottle of apple cider vinegar from Sainsburys. I wrapped my (stinking! I hate vinegar) hair in a towel and let it sit for half an hour. Then I washed my hair with Johnsons Baby Shampoo, then again with Australia Tea Tree shampoo. I even conditioned the ends of my hair.

When I washed out the baby shampoo, the clumpy, sticky, horribleness was gone. I used the tea tree one just in case, but I don't think it was really necessary.

I don't know whether it was the vinegar that did the job or whether it was the baby shampoo, but either way it worked and the vinegar made my hair REALLY soft!! I mean seriously super soft!! Don't waste money buying overpriced Redken/Tigi/etc shampoos any more. Just buy a few cheap bottles of cider vinegar! Haha!

Anyway, I don't know whether this is temporary or whether it's fixed long-term, but I'll let you know if it comes back. Just so you know, it's a REALLY bad idea to wash your hair with Listerine or washing up liquid so please don't do it! Try using the vinegar and baby shampoo first. Neither of those will strip your hair and they might just work as well for you as they have for me. :0)

Good luck!
UPDATE

The weirdness has not come back! Yay! Downside: I cannot get the smell of vinegar out of my hair! Three shampoos and two serums and I still smell like a chip shop. Eurgh! But at least my hair feels clean again.
Had the exact same problem, never ever get oily hair and all of a sudden, I could not understand why I have this sticky oily section of hair by the crown of my head. The only thing that has changed in my lifestyle is that I have come off the pill? Anyone else experienced this since coming of birth control? I used half a cap full of mouthwash on the specific area and reluctant as I was it seems to have worked!
Hi guys,

I was here in 2011 trying to figure out the solution to this problem and mystery symptom.

As explained, the oil from the scalp in mass amount penetrated and stuck to the hair at the crown, or where one would wear a yamaka. It is Almost impossible to get rid of. After many washes, both hot and cold water, clarifying shampoo by suave and original or brown listerine started to get the oil to come out and allow the hair to look, lay and feel semi normal again.

Sorry to say, but this is a symptom of a much bigger problem:

Hair loss. You can call it androgenic alopecia, female pattern, male pattern, TE, biotindase deficiency, zinc deficiency, iron deficiency, thyroid resulting in mother freaking HAIR LOSS!!!  This is a major symptom, or earlier symptom that you are on this roller coaster ride, the bar has locked down and there is no getting out, especially if you panic.

Within a couple years my hair melted, tangled, and clumped away. The texture begins to change, split ends won't go away, hair is very dry, scalp starts to feel differently all the time (painful, or itchy, etc), etc. You begin trying different products, natural products, try more protein, then heavy moisturing conditioners, leave in conditioners, hair systems for hair loss or thinning hair... Then the apple cider vinegar, ketoconazle, and onto the vitamins....if you get to the heavy duty anti androgen medication in time after all that, including giving up on doctors after the multiple trips to doctors office just for them to say that say your hair "looks fine" (Big **** you to the lazy, incompetent, selfish, money Hungary doctors out there; I promise that you will never pay off your students loans once people realize they are just cows for your checkbook and they stop going to your crappy wanna be office with ZERO experience with research on anything but the seven deadly sins,  I see you! )... Then you find yourself buying medications without prescriptions...perhaps you even start studying the axis of evil, hormons, adrenals, and how the body works. Maybe you buy yourself a microscope to learn the structure of hair and how to manipulate it... Then after all this hassle, let's not forget you have to keep up a life, or at least bring in income to support yourself, maybe a family, and all this new research time, equipment and materials.

You realize tap water has bad minerals which can stick to hair and clog the scalp, not unlike the ivory dome research. You change your water.

Within a year and a half 60% of your hair is gone. It has shriveled up, with no rhyme, no reason.....all those blood tests you could have had...but the health industry doesn't care about your hair. You could buy your own lab equipment and take your own tests.  Why don't we have community labs????

Knowledge is power and health, technically beauty, is everything.  

Good luck and be kind to one another. It is a journey too long to describe, yet very short for so many that will and have just quit and opted out in love and life over hair loss. The world is loosing great minds or at least great community members over this growing epidemic.  Let's hope shaved heads for BOTH sexes becomes the norm.

The time line for hair loss can be very fast. I realize spring 2010 I started the shedding....but it really became noticeable and hard to live with my hair in spring 2012, though throughout this time I would say there are cycles. Example: I had a lot of scalp pain but I could make my hair look semi ok still, though I was battling hair dryness and texture changes). Then again in spring of 2013 i had hard white shiny plaque and a severe back attack where i was unable to move at all for severe pain, and the in the summer time of 2013. It has been downhill since. I would say I am now unable to get away at all with my hair the way it is. No transplants, nothing short of either shaving it or buying a wig.

I guess that is why so many in Hollywood buy themselves boobs, Botox, and hair. Quite sad considering they are hypocrites and stand for the exact opposite of what they claim.  Take the make up off, take the greed off, remove the crap and be what you say you are and what you say you want to see.  Until then, **** you. You are not artists and you sure as **** don't care bout anyone but yourselves.

I cannot tell you the relief I felt when I found this forum and topic.  My hair started with this revolting condition around my crown about ten days ago.  Prior to that I have always had very dry hair.  Its still dry except for the crown and surrounding area.  I went to my hairdresser and she had no idea what to suggest except Google and thank God she did!

Just for info, I am 54yrs old, 8 years pits menopause and absolutely nothing has changed regarding my hair products, health, diet etc.

Anyway I am currently sitting with a head full of cider vinegar, its been on half an hour, I am about to wash it out with Tresseme Clarifying Shampoo followed by Johnsons Baby Shampoo.  I will report back shortly.
Oh my God, it has worked!  It was Tresemme Deep Cleansing shampoo I used first, left it on for 10 minutes.  Then I rinsed it off, added several drops of tea tree oil to Johnsons baby shampoo, applied it and left it on for half an hour, then rinsed well.

I just blow dried my hair and it is back to normal!!

The real test will be to see if it stays away.  In the meantime, I think I will continue using the baby shampoo/tea tree combination for a week or so just in case.

I will post again once I know whether this has shifted it for good.

Huge huge thanks to everyone who took the time to post on here about their own experiences, I was really getting quite low and despairing until I found this topic.
Hair still great today, I repeated the vinegar, baby shampoo+ tea tree oil just to be sure.  Fingers crossed its gone for good!
Wow, I am so glad I'm not the only one having this problem.

My "patch" of sap-like greasy hair started a little over a month ago. I thought I wasn't rinsing my conditioner thoroughly enough (I try to take quick showers). However, even after thorough rinses, it was still there. I could feel it as I was wrapping my hair after showering. Now, I do have mild psoriasis. I've had it for years, but it has never done this - ever. If anything, I've had dry flaky scalp problems, not grease.

The fungal infection idea makes sense for me. I think I know what caused it for me.

Over two months ago, I started exercising 6 days a week. Because of this, I went from washing my hair every two or three days, to every single day. Two weeks after changing my habits, everything went south. I'm thinking I've been massively over drying my scalp and hair and it has kicked the grease into overdrive, and I developed my patch. To make matters worse (likely), I've switched to cheaper shampoos and conditioners because I'm going through them faster. I just keep stripping and stripping my scalp and hair.

I have a question for others here - is your water softened? I ask this because I live in western Washington, and I do not have softened water. A few weeks ago, I went down to Utah to visit my parents, and they have softened water (almost over-softened). After 5 days and 5 showers, my hair was almost back to normal. After my first shower back home, however, it was back to the patch problem. :(  Moisture is definitely a key here.

I am going switch back to better quality shampoos, including T-gel. I will try to not wash my hair every day...but that's hard with all of the exercise. I would try the apple cider vinegar...but I *really* do not want to smell like vinegar.

Good luck everyone!
The vinegar smell completely disappears as soon as you shampoo your hair.  I am in Leeds, UK and out water is quite soft.
This same exact thing just recently happened to me. I would constantly wash it but nothing would happen. Finally I found a SOLUTION. Put baby powder in the affected areas of your hair and let it sit overnight. Have a normal shower the next day and once it's dry you should notice a difference! I hope it helps you just as much as it helped me!
Kisses -A
Okay, so same as everyone else oily, waxy thick build up at the crown of my head.  It just appeared out of no where...leaving me stressed out.  

My solution was a mixture of water and apple cider vinegar...50/50 solution.  I used a spray bottle to apply to my entire head and left it on for about 20 minutes, then washed it as normal.  Still only using conditioner on the bottom half of my hair.  Wasn't too sure it would work.  Well, it worked amazingly...soft, oil free hair!

Next time I am going to shampoo and condition as normal.  If you normally use lots of product in your hair, it is advised to do the vinegar rinse once a week.  Good luck!
I'm having my second episode. The first one was in April 2014. I had decided to go "SUGAR FREE" cold turkey. Made me SICK!! Like having the flu. By the end of the first week I noticed the sticky patch in my hair. Like all of you I washed and made up all kind of concoctions. I told my daughter about the sugar fast and ask her if she thought it had anything to do with my problem. Her opinion was that I was dumping toxins from my body through the scalp. After six weeks of scrubbing my scalp and hair it went away.
Now for the second episode. I've been very sick in the bed for ten days. Now that I'm up and around again the sticky patch has reappeared. This makes me wonder. Are toxins really leaving my body through my scalp??
Hey guys! I have been suffering with the 'greasy hair in the crown' problem for over a month now.. I have fine, long, black hair that is naturally silky and straight.. And when i started facing the problem i was devastated.. Anyways so i used the juice of one whole lemon and dabbed it into my hair using a ball of cotton wool (starting at the crown). Then i pressure massaged my scalp using my finger tips and let the juice seep in for 45 minutes. Washed it off using slightly warm water and Faith in Nature Strengthening Aloe Vera Shampoo.. Shampoo it twice and don't scrub too hard..Make sure you come your hair just once after washing. Let it dry naturally and don't touch your hair. My hair is perfectly fine now..I hope this helps...

Also please make sure u don't use dish wash liquid and other harsh chemicals because it makes it worse. It leaves a dirty unhealthy coating on the hair strands which makes it worse than before..
I'm 26 years old. I have oily skin as it is so I have to wash my hair daily. Within the last few months I noticed my hair is oily after washing it. So I had my husband look up my new meds (for acne) my dermatologist prescribed and found they could cause oily skin and to try Dove Shampoo. I tried it and it worked until I finished the bottle and got a new bottle same exact kind of Dove and now my hair is oily at the crown again, so I switched back to Herbal Essence and no change.!! I'm so mad. I've mentioned it to my dermatologist and he's not ever heard of the meds causing this. I've lived in the same house, same city for 6 years so I'm sure its not the water. Please Help!!
No dont use dove, or scented shampoos, they make things worse.
try selsun blue or head and shoulders, they are specifically designed for dandruff, you might need to see a doctor about seabheorric dermatitis if you have itchyness
Hey,

So this happened to me recently, I've always had extremely long thick beautiful hair and all of a sudden the crown part was greasy after washing, like most I thought I hadnt washed the product out correctly so i jumped straight back in the shower and washed it again, this made it 10 times worse!

After reading all of your comments I thought I'd give it a try!

I used Johnson and johnson baby shampoo, rinsed, the. Out 3 cap fulls of original listerine on the crown part and left for 5-10 mins, I then rinsed and washed with Alberto balsams tea tree shampoo and followed with alberto balsam tea tree conditioner, I didn't condition the crown, just the ends and I have to say my hair is no longer looking like I've been dipped into a frying pan! It does still feel slightly different but looks perfect! I think a couple of washes like this and it will be completely back to normal!

Thank you so much for all of your help and hopefully it works for everyone else too! :)
Here is how I used all household things to solve this problem WITHOUT SPENDING ANY MONEY. I'm a 23 year old American living in China with no access to specialty shampoos or soaps. I can't even read the labels on things. My excess oil spot was building up and getting severe a week after noticing it, so I tried all the remedies I could manage all at once with great and quick success.

5 things you'll need (or probably already have): white or apple cider vinegar, dish soap, mint mouth wash, shampoo, blow-dryer

1) I started with apple cider vinegar. No special kind, just whatever I had in my pantry. I applied it to all the greasy parts of my scalp and hair and let it sit for about 12 minutes.
2) Then, adding to the vinegar, I generously applied some sort of lemon scented dish soap (not any special brand, it was cheap). I used a lot of this. Thoroughly caked the affected part of my head, but not the lengthy bottom part of my hair. Left this on for about 10 minutes
3) Next, I got in the shower and rinsed out the vinegar and soap.
4) Then, I poured about 5 cap fulls of cool mint Listerine over the area. This was when the roots really started feeling soft again. I let it sit in the shower while I shaved my legs, so 3-4 minutes.
5) I washed my hair gently with regular shampoo (mine was pantene pro v, not sure that it matters) without scrubbing at the roots too much so as to not stimulate my oil glands. * I did not condition, but the Listerine seemed to soften my hair in a similar way.
6) I blow-dried the roots of my hair on cool. Heat and dampness promote fungal infections, so definitely blow-dry, and definitely use the cool setting

Most of it was removed the first night, all of it when I did it again the next day. Hope this works for everyone, it is pretty easy and cost efficient. No fancy shampoos or pills required.
it seems like this is a estrogen related issue, because all the people complaining about it seem to be women, including me. For me it happens right around when i get my period, so I personally think it comes from a hormone fluxuation, which would also explain the link to birth controls. So maybe try something to balance hormones?
my name subra i face hair loss since 18 years old my scalp toooooooo oily i have used all remedies but not work pls help me
biolage normalizing shampoo and conditioner works
OK , I was stressed for 3 days, because all of a sudden my head was so oily like out of nowhere ,, it looked like someone poured Oil bottle in my head ,, , to the point that i washed 3 times yesterday , i even did the Lemon and hot water rinsing, NO HELP ,,,,, SO after reading reviews here I got a lil happy ( because i was not the only one facing this problem) LoL,  after reading all comments i went to get  Johnson Baby Shampoo and neutrogena.t-sal-therapeuti shampoo,,,,, SO first ur wash ur hair 2,3 times with Johnsons Baby and then u apply T/sal and massage the crown area ( thats where i had all the grease at )  for 3 minutes and leave for 5 minutes , repeat 2 times , rinse and blow dry ,,, :)))))))))))    ((( I think the  Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Shampoo was the reason that i  turned into an Oil Magnet )))   Good Luck ,,, :))))) ( sorry for not accurate English )) :******
Again like most people here, I am 27 year old female, and suffered this waxy spot on the crown of my hair for approx 1 month and got increasingly worse. Only 2 things that have changed in the last 6months was increase in exercise and I quit smoking. I have read all the posts and put it down to the sweat in my hair causing a damp environment. Anyway my treatment is as follows (1st got rid of 90% then did it once more and my hair was back to normal, yay!!)
1st rinse was lemon juice & Apple Cider Vinegar (in a spray bottle 1lemon then 1part ACV 2parts water), sprayed on and original Listerine, left for 10-15mins and rinsed out. * pour Listerine going to the back of the head cause it stings like a mofo if you get it in your eyes!  
2nd rinse was original Palmolive dishwashing liquid, left for 10-15mins and rinsed out
3rd I used Tgel shampoo twice(coal based shampoo)
4th so my hair wasn’t completely stripped I put conditioner on the bottom ½ of my hair and the ACV and lemon spray on the top, left for 10 mins and rinsed.

I hope this helps, I was so depressed and upset about this I was very close to shaving all my hair off. Before you go to this extreme please try my method! I still do not know what causes this but I will keep you posted if I find out.    
Thank you ladies!
I live in a hostel and had limited resources. Dish washing liquid worked and if you accompany it wish a good shampoo, you want have any dryness problem.
My solution for this issue was using BAMBOO CHARCOAL SHAMPOO.

I first started experiencing this problem when I vacationed abroad, similar to several other responses I've read.  There, I was able to purchase bamboo charcoal shampoo, however you can purchase it online (Amazon or Google).  My brand was called Take Sumi and was purchased at the store in Bali.  This has worked like a charm for me after months of dealing with this problem on and off.  I love that this is a natural remedy rather than using harsh soaps or chemically loaded shampoos.  

Best of luck ladies!
Wow, so many people going through the EXACT same thing!  Same spot, same thinking that it was product that needed to be washed out, same conditions- out of the blue, same solutions.  Thanks for the tips, everyone!  Boo this problem!  Yay internet!
I cannot believe the amount of people with the same problem!  I am a 49 year old woman in good health and I have been suffering every few months with this for a few years now.  It comes on suddenly and usually lasts about a week then disappears.  Sometimes Dawn works....sometimes it doesn't.  So frustrating.  My hair is so greasy right out of the shower....I have been late to work the last three days because I have rewashed my hair several times a morning....I teach and being late is not cool!  My hair is thin and fine to boot....so it shows really bad and I cannot style it.  I look horrible and I am so embarrassed.  It is now after midnight and I know I have to get up early and try again....hoping today was the last day for a while.  Not sure I have any of the items listed in the house.  I have vinegar but I think it is white....not apple cider.  Ugh.  Tomorrow I will go and buy all the stuff mentioned to keep in the bathroom cabinet!!!!  Thanks for all the posts.....at least I finally know I am not alone!!!!
Had issue for 10-11 months - close to a year but not quite.
Tried:  vinegar/water, dawn, tea tree oil, selsun blue, all of it.  
I was washing my hair twice a day (lather/rinse/repeat - so really a total of 4 times)

Items to buy:  Nutrogena anti-residue shampoo (the clear shampoo) and Head & Shoulders Moisture Care Scalp Soother Treatment initially.

1.  Changed lotions to lotions without dimethicone in it (Texas Scents from HEB is what I use now).  I don't use face moisurizers (except for my eye area, I'm 53 and I need that!) :)  and can't tell the difference.

2. Quit exercising until my hair started becoming normal again.

3. Wash hair 2x a day (lather, rinse, repeat) for 2-3 days with Nutrogena anti-residue shampoo (the clear shampoo).  

4. Day 4 or whenever the residue and oily gunk is gone, before shampooing, spray scalp with Head & Shoulders Care Scalp Soother Treatment and leave in 1-2 minutes, then wash with the Nutrogena once.  Do this for about a week.

5. Once your scalp starts feeling normal try to rotate a gentler (dimethicone free) shampoo.  I'm rotating in OGX Coconut water shampoo.

6.  Once a week I condition with Furterer Curbicia mask ($26 on Amazon), I only leave in for 1-2 minutes (not the 5 minutes that is in the instructions) then use the Nutrogena after that.

It's important to note that any time I tried to deviate and use a dimethicone shampoo I'd immediately start feeling that gunk come back.

I am NOT a doctor but I suspect what happened was my scalp was dry and I was using conditioners and hair products that sat on top of my dry scalp and started blocking in my natural oils and all that gunk and oils sat on my dry scalp and started getting....gungky.  

I sincerely hope this helps someone.  I found this post back about 7 months ago and promised myself that if/when I finally figured out a 'recipe' that worked I would come back and let everyone know.

I'm not saying this will work for EVERYONE, I think some of these issues are different, some may be bacteria, some may be fungal, but if you tried everything, then give this a shot.

Lastly, whenever I feel just a little oily crown again then I immediately use the Nutrogena (lather/rinse/repeat).  It truly has done wonders for me and I do swear by it.  
I am 32 and I have the same problem for the past 5 months now. I understand how frustrating it is.But recently Ive tried something which helped me and thought I should share. I ve shampooed my hair normally with a mild shampoo, then I applies Jhonson baby shampoo on the affected area rinsed and left it for about 5mins. Then washed it with warn water.It helped me a lot. Hope it helps you too.
I've been suffering for a week. This came on out of the blue and I had no choice but to put my hair in a ponytail. I'm 33 and have no changes to my lifestyle or medication. After reading all of the comments to rushed to WALGREENS. I made a paste of apple cider vinegar, baking soda, and listerine. I let it soak on my head and rinsed. Then I washed with baby shampoo and a medicated psoriasis shampoo with 3% sal-acid. Good as new!!! I am so relieved!!
Wow, this years-long thread is interesting!  Makes me wonder what the "oil" is.  Could it really be just sebum?  Or is it an exudate of either a purulent or serous nature?  The exudate would explain why some describe it as sticky.  A purulent exudate (pus mixed with serous secretion) would almost certainly be from an infection, although conceivably some other inflammatory reaction.  A serous exudate just indicates some kind of injury.  If you let it dry, a serous exudate will become an amber-colored transparent solid.

I sometimes have experienced small areas of serous exudate on my scalp, which I usually assume to be from places I've scratched that haven't fully healed and are still oozing.  However, sometimes the effect occurs in patches in places I doubt I've scratched.  In general my scalp is very dandruffy, usually as dry flakes but with occasional brief seborrheic hypersecretory periods, when it feels greasy or waxy.  However, it's never been in such a condition that ordinary soap wouldn't at least temporarily wash it out.  I don't think even the worst cases of seborrhea could produce the phenomenon described here, which is what makes me think these people are dealing not with sebum but with something that can be secreted much faster, i.e. an exudate.
I got this, and had NO idea it was such a common problem until I went to google! I was so sick of washing my hair and it feeling greasy again as soon as it dried. I did a 50/50 ACV and water (probably about 1/4 of each), with 10 drops of melaleuca (tea tree) essential oil. Sprayed it on the crown of my head (where my greasy spot was) with a little spritz bottle, let it sit for 10 minutes, then washed with clarifying shampoo. BAM- gone! The crown of my head now feels all soft and clean again! Yay!! I'm keeping the spray bottle in my bathroom cabinet in case it sneaks up on me again.
Had this!!!! DISHWASHER SOAP AND MOUTHWASH!!!! Mouthwash works the best, and also normal dove soap the bar !!!!! Use those as shampoo and a conditioner on the ends because mouthwash is so drying
Omg lol i mean dish soap so like fairy liquid
This problem popped up out of the blue for me about 5-6 days ago. Like everyone else, I thought it was a result of not rinsing out my conditioner properly, or overdoing the hair products, but after ditching both of these on the next wash, my hair was greasier than ever. It was literally forming dank strings even before I'd had a chance to dry it!

WHAT WORKED FOR ME...

After a quick search on Goolge, I decided to try a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar (ACV) and water in conjunction with a tablespoon of bi-carb soda (BCS) in my regular shampoo.

I spritzed the ACV on the affected area, let sit for 30 minutes, then washed out with the BCS & shampoo mix.

The back of my crown still felt a bit grungy, so I repeated the BCS & shampoo, rinsed again, applied my usual conditioner to the ends of my hair, rinsed, spritzed with ACV for a final time and then a final rinse.

Even while my head was under the shower I could feel the difference in my hair, and upon drying it, the greasiness in the crown had reduced by 90-95%.

I'll repeat this process again tomorrow and hopefully that will be the end of it.  

It's just so nice to be able to run my fingers through my hair again!
Have had this problem on and off for years. Sticky crown, like tree sap on the top of my head. Tried most of the remedies listed here. Would go away after I had my highlights done. This time, it came back just a few days later and I was NOT going to put up with it for another 6-8 weeks till my next hair appointment. Researched some more online today anf shampooed with Neutrogena T-Sal tonight AND THE STICKINESS IS GONE! My hair is soft and silky again. So happy I don’t have to walk around tomorrow looking like I don’t wash my hair!
Happened to me when I went on holiday to a hot and humid country.  I believe it's fungal.  It has a smell to it and your pillow smells funny too   Cured by washing with original listerine and apple cider vinegar.  Not sure which of those did the job but one of them did.  Also you need to chuck your pillow away
I have its solution people!!!
It worked for me and i hope it helps you guys aswell :)
Apply a mixture of olive oil coconut oil and castor oil on the hair and leave it for like one day and wash the other day with "revlon z11 anti oily plus anti seborrheic shampoo" and the patch will go away!
The shampoo is available almost everywhere and isnt that expensive
After like 2 or 3 times i did this i tried washing my hair without applying oil first and guess what it worked again! But for a good growth of the hair plus shine and lustre you should try oiling your hair with the mixture i told plus this shampoo takes away the oil so its better that you provide enough oil to the hair before the wash! And i concluded that the oily waxy path on the crown is definitely a type of dermatitis most probably seborrheic thats why it vanished after washin with that formula in revlon!
Good luck