Sudden oily scalp, the crown area. Will not wash out, why? What is it?...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sudden oily scalp, the crown area. Will not wash out, why? What is it? I am healthy and bath daily.

The crown area of my scalp suddenly became very oily.  I have washed my hair with every shampoo I thought was strong or harsh.  I have even tried liquid dish detergant.  Nothing works.  I am a healthy woman who baths daily, I say this to offset the idea that maybe I am ill or unclean.  Please tell me what this is, how I can get rid of it and how I might be able to prevent it from coming back.
I have the same exact thing - and it's only at the crown!!  So weird and frustrating - i've been trying everyting under the sun to get the stickyness out of my hair but NOTHING has worked - i even went to the dermatologist and they said they never heard of this before.  I scrub my hair every night - it's the oddest thing because i'm 27 and never had this problem before - and i also tried dish detergent lol.  Let me know if you find anything! ps - i also noticed around the same time that my face started breaking out - is it the same for you?
I am experiencing the same thing!  I am 27 and have NEVER had oily hair like this before.  Its literally oily before its even dry.  I too, have also tried dish soap.  That doesn't work either.  The ONLY thing I can think of is the new birth control that I am on... Microgestin.  I've been on it for 2 months now.  
I tried calling a few beauticians and one said she thinks its just a sudden reaction to weather change.  She said it can just all of a sudden happen, similar to allergies appearing later in life.
Does ANYBODY know what is causing this and how to treat it???  I am getting married soon, and DO NOT want to deal with this on my wedding day.   :'(
There is no medical condition as such which causes oiliness of the hair.I would suggest you to clean your hair frequently with a mild shampoo(you can use the ones for oily hair) and don’t apply any conditioner on the hair.Also you can shampoo twice during each wash and apply shampoo on the scalp without piling the hair on top.

In case the symptoms persist then consult a dermatologist in that case.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

Hi Leo,

I totally know what you mean. I am astonished that Doctors have let this condition go un-named, unresearched, and undiagnosed for so long. LOOK AROUND DOCTORS - there are literally HUNDREDS of people all experiencing the SAME condition ... what i like to refer to as "sticky scalp". It IS a medical condition as far as I'm concerned because everyone who complains of this problem has exactly the SAME symptoms..... i.e....1) sudden onset 2) the oil is ONLY at the CROWN of the head 3) the sebum is thick, waxy, and "sap-like" in nature and is RESISTANT to ALL traditional remedies such as shampoo and soap...... are we all crazy?!?

Dr. Bhupinder Kaur.... you should research this and maybe become the poineer in diagnosing this condition!

Leo... I have a theory on why this happens and what this is.... I believe it is a fungal infection of the scalp. The reason I think this is that the waxy sebum has a sort of "fruity" smell or "sweet and sour" smell. That just so happens to be the same smell that happens under your fingernails when you get finger nail fungus. Anyone who wears tips or acrylics knows what smell I am talking about.  Anyway, the cure for this is using a number of antifungal remedies altogether while keeping the scalp as dry as possible. You can buy anti-fungal/medicated shampoos at CVS that contain zinc or sulfides which fight fungus and yeasts......take acidopholis pills......soak your head in apple cider vinegar every day before you shower.  All this will cure the infection in time (1-2 weeks), however it will not degrease the stubborn sticky sebum that is already there... for this try original palmolive..... don't just shampoo.... put the palmolive on the crown of your head, lather with water, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before you shower. After the first 2-3 washes the stickiness should be gone.... but continue with the anti-fungal treatment.... I promise it will go away.... mine lasted for 3 mths before i figured this out, but it's goine.... last but not least, use a clarifying shampoo like pantene clarifying.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Hi JerseyGirl.... I am SO happy you got my post!  I was hoping somebody would see it.  Thank you so much for the response!!

-Everything you say makes a lot of sense!  Except, I am currently taking an oral anitfungal... its generic Lamosil in pill form (darn toenail fell off and I didnt want fungus to grow).  Do you think that the pill would treat a scalp fungus???

Also, I have even more unsetteling news.  The day I posted that, I went to shower.  With the idea in mind that whatever this "sebum" stuff is, its not WASHING out properly.  So, I applied Head n Shoulders once, rinsed... applied Aussie's Grease Shampoo, rinsed... applied TWO more applications of Head n Shoulders, then rinsed and got out.  No conditioner.  Well, apparently I didn't get the memo on "over washing your hair" because to my surprise, once it dried, it looked like my ENTIRE scalp area was dipped in vegetable oil!  Apparenly I stripped it so badly with all that shampoo, that my sebum production went into overdrive!  I cried.  I went down to Sally's Beauty Supply (a beauty supply store franchise) and they were baffled about the spot, but not about the over shampooing.  They gave me some "dry shampoo" which is spray shampoo that you can use when you don't have access to actually wash your hair.  Well, I got home and sprayed it all over the top of my head.  I have brown hair and the spray was a light violet, so it looked a bit ashy... however, it dried the oil right up.  EXCEPT for that darn culprit crown spot!!!!  That one was a little hard to "dry" with the spray, but it masked it a bit to where you could only "feel" the spot, rather than "see" it.  
I also bought Generic Brand Tea Tree Shampoo (Generic for Paul Mitchell's).  I didn't wash it until this morning.  I scrubbed the top, then applied a teensy bit of conditioner on the ends (with the intent to replenish a little bit of moisture in my dried out hair).  The top was still a little oily, but I sprayed the dry shampoo.  The stupid crown spot, however was still there in full force.  The spray masked it though.  
Now Im nervous even to wash it after what I did to the whole top of my head.  LOL, my fiance said "we're gonna be rich cause we struck an oil mine on my head!"  >:(

Jersey, can you reccommend a anti-fungal shampoo with those ingredients you were talking about?  I trust you every step of the way with this.  My friends are stumped, my parents work in medicine and they are stumped, everybody is stumped about this WEIRD, HORRIBLE problem!!!  I am SO happy to have found you and to know that I'm not the only one this has happend to.  

THANK YOU SO, SO, SO much!  And Doc, thank you too for the response.  Like Jersey said though... maybe this can be a breakthrough!!!  :)

I posted this post on another person's post on this site about the same issue.  I posted it right before I did all that shampooing on Saturday.  (I am copying and pasting it cause it gives alot more info about my particular case):

Hi guys!  I've been having the same oily crown problem too for about 2 weeks.  It is so weir and SOOOO frusterating!  I tried dish soap, it didn't work.  Mine seems to already be oily withing minutes of my showers.  I can't believe that this hasn't been diagnosed yet.  

I recently changed my birth control pill (2 months ago) to Microgestin.  I am also taking an anti-fungal oral pill (for about 2 months as well) because my toenail fell off and I didn't want to get a fungus.  Its called Terbinafine.  I also take a Kirkland brand multi-vitamin each day.  As far as my diet, well, I started eating a high-protein, lots of fruits & veggies diet about a month ago, but about 2 weeks ago, fell off the wagon.  (lol)  I don't eat "bad" per say, but more junkier than I should.  I am also a senior in college and working towards a double major, which is pretty stressful.  I read that sudden changes like this, is stress related and hormonal.  I was wondering if any of you experienced this.  

Oh, I also had my gallbladder out in 2005.  I found a site that talked about the oily crown issues and found that some people who experience this have had their gallbladders out as well.

As far as my skin goes, well its pretty healthy.  It always has been.  I am 27 and have never really experienced breakouts even to this day.

I would like to try the Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo, as well as the vinegar remedy to see it it helps.

Does anybody have any feedback on if/how/when their suddenly oily crown problem was corrected???  I am newley engaged and am really scared this will effect my hair on my wedding day.  :'(

Oh, PS.... I noticed a lot of people report this problem in the warmer months.  I am from Washington State and it is the middle of October now that I am experiencing this!  -A friend of mine that is a hair dresser said its from the weather change (warm-cold).  She said its like allergies suddenly developing in life.  She said some people just "develop" a sensetivity to weather and experience this.  

????  So frusterating.  Any and ALL feedback is greatly appreciated!!!
Hi Leo,

It will def go away - i've had this problem twice in the last 5 years - It usually goes away in 1-2 months, but you can control it by stripping the oil on your own. I know you've tried dish soap, but it HAS to be Palmolive. I tried dawn and that didn't work. Get the original green palmolive and apply it only to the crown of your head... lather with some apple cider vinegar and lemon juice and let it sit for a little before you get in the shower. Buy Pantene Clarifying Shampoo... wash your hair with this and rub it around with the palmolive then rince. Then for the final rinse use one of the medicated shampoos.... the truth is i used so many different kinds all at once that im not sure exactly which one did the trick.... some of the ones i used were i thing T/Gel (contains coal tar), sebulex ( contains sulfur), and one containing Zinc.... you can find them in the dandruff section and it will usually say "treatment for sebborhic dermetitis". Try mixing the palmolive with vinegar and some fresh lemon juice too... that's what I did.
Also make sure you use a good conditioner - try pantene deep fortifying treatment conditioner... since the palmolive will strip your ends... plus, like you said, overdrying will lead to more oil.
There is a 100% cure..... If you go to your derm and beg him to put you on accutane, the oil will surely clear up within days..... I did this the first time around...but the problem is you have to wait 30 days before you will get the prescription because you need to have two negative pregnancy tests. But that's last resort if nothing else works.... Please try the palmolive/apple cider vinegar and let me know if it works. The "wax" should be gone after two good washes.

Good Luck!
P.S. - I think that changing birth control has a lot to do with it because around the same time i got the oil my hormones were going crazy and i was breaking out like mad. You might want to try switching to YAS or ask you doc to put you on spironolactone for a while.... this is a duiretic that blocks the androgen from overactive adrenal glands.... a side effect of this is that it clears up oily scalp/face...... i was on this too.... tried it the 2nd time because i didn't want to go back on accutane..... i believe this and a combination of everything else helped.
Hi Jersey!  I CURED IT!!  LOL, I have been posting this response on as many of these common threads as possible!!!  - Thank you SO much for your help!  I hope we can help these others with this problem.  This was a horribly frusterating thing to go through!  

I FOUND A CURE!!!!  So I posted a thread on this website about a week ago.  I titled it different, but it is about the EXACT SAME problem!!
My "grease spot" was apparent as soon as I got out of the shower.  Therefore, I thought that whatever it was, it just wasn't washing out.  So, last Saturday I took a shower and used Head & Shoulders.  I scrubbed and scrubbed until my hands ached.  I rinsed.  Then I put on THREE more applications of shampoo, each time scrubbing until my fingers hurt.  I rinsed each time, skipped any conditioner and got out.  I let my hair air dry.  To my HORRIFFIC dissappointment, my ENTIRE HEAD looked as if I dipped it in oil as it began to dry.  I was so upset, I cried.  I threw it in a ponytail and headed down to our local beauty supply house.  (Here it is called Sally's Beauty Supply.  I think its a franchise).  The clerks were all amazed and dumbfounded about the "grease spot" but said that by "overwashing" my hair, I put my oil glands in my scalp into overdrive, causing this new abundance of oil!!!  With that being said, I bought some "dry shampoo".  It is a powder-like spray that is used in between shampooings.  You spray it on any oily or greasy spots, brush it through and BOOM, your hair looks clean, dry, and smells good.  I also bout "Generic Brand" Tea Tree Shampoo there.  (It is really called 'Generic Brand' and its generic for Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Shampoo equivelant)  
As soon as I got home, I sprayed the dry shampoo and it completely transformed my oil head into clean, healthy looking hair.
I wasn't convinced that it was cured, so I didn't wash it the next day.  I figured I needed to let my natural oils regulate somewhat.  I DID wash my hair on Monday.  I washed with the Tea Tree stuff and figured, if I "overwashed all the natural oils out last time"... maybe I SHOULD condition a little to add moisture.  So I conditioned a little, and guess what??  As soon as I blow dried it, everything looked perfect!!!  I am proud to say that the spot has been gone SIX whole days now!  
Not sure what causes it, but with my remedy, I think it has something to do with the balance of the oils in our scalp getting out of whack somehow.

I hope this helps all of you!!!!  GOOD LUCK!!!!
I'm so glad I'm not the only one having this problem! It actually started when I bought a new shampoo from a salon. I had been using the same one for a long time and when it was done I thought I would try a new one, because after using the same shampoo for too long it doesn't work as effectively. Well, this new shampoo made my hair really sticky and greasy in parts. It only seemed to affect one side of my hair, which was the strangest part. At first I thought I wasn't getting all of the shampoo and conditioner out, but the same thing happened all the time so ruled this out. I finally had enough so I went to the same salon and explained to them what was going on with my hair, and they gave me a different shampoo that they said should work.  It actually made the problem even worse!  I know that I made a mistake with applying the conditioner, because I had put it all over my hair and the instructions said to apply it only near the bottom of the hair and leave it in for several minutes before rinsing out. I used a clarifying shampoo to try and fix this (which had always made my hair so soft before) and used the conditioner properly, but it didn't work.  I tried to wash my hair with a natural shampoo, but that actually made it even greasier.  Today I went to the store and bought white vinegar, which I used in my hair, and then washed it with the clarifying shampoo. It is only a little bit better. I don't know if maybe I didn't live it in long enough, or if it will take several washes to make it completely better. I ask my friends if my hair looks greasy, and they say it doesn't (I know they would be honest because they always are). However I still want my hair to feel normal again!! Do you think the shampoo from the salon damaged my hair somehow?

I doubt it was the new shampoo because it would have stopped once you switched back if it were. I'm almost positive it is a fungal infection of the scalp. I've been researching this for a long time and there are many reasons why I believe so. So it's also great to know that in order to cure the problem you can use anti-fungal treatments. Vinegar is a natural anti-fungal treatment, but you should also get medicated shampoos (you can pick up from your local pharmacy) that are for the treatment of fungal infections.... and if you can convince your doctor to prescribe you a diflucan that will help as well. It's not going to clear up all at once... it may take about a week or so of using the vinegar/medicated shampoos.... if you want the grease gone today you can strip it from your hair by using original palmolive (the green one). Lather it into the crown of your head with some warm water and let it soak for about 10 minutes before showing with the medicated and clarifying shampoos.... also make sure you condition... it's very important after the palmolive because that stuff literally strips every bit of oil out of your hair..... Good luck!!!!
i have also had this unfortunate problem for about 8 days now. at first i thought i had just missed some shampoo so i rewashed it but that pesky spot was still there. so i changed shampoos and conditioners the next night. that did nothing to help. after that i even started taking 2 showers, one washing and conditioning my hair and the second just rinsing water vigorously at the top of my head. after nothing worked i got pretty desperate and starting searching as many forums as possible. there is another page on this website with the exact same problem as we have! it says to get SUAVE CLARIFYING SHAMPOO and the regular BROWN BOTTLE LISTERINE mouth wash. first you wash your hair with the shampoo then put 3-4 capfuls of listerine directly onto the crown of your head. i just did this and blowdryed it and voila- around 85-90% of the oil/wax/grease was gone! it's a miracle. i feel so relieved and clean now! i'm going to do it again tomorrow because it says it takes about 2 or 3 days to be completely effective. this truly works and i fully recommend it. i know first hand how stressful this dilemma is and i am proud to say this remedy is legitimate. hope this works for everyone!
I know exactly what you mean!!  I am 40 years old and it started with me about two months ago.  And yes, I could tell even before it was all the way dry that it was still oily.  I used Pert for oily hair one month and it seemed to do fine.  Then i tried an oily shampoo and lite conditioner from Suave and that works great.  I was running low of the Suave and used the Pert again, and it did the same exact thing, so the Pert doesn't even work anymore.  It is VERY aggravating, but I am glad to see that it's not just me!!  I thought I was going crazy....

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.  When I "googled" the problem I had no idea I'd find that there were so many out there having the same problem.
I just had this same thing too. I think mine was from my Nice and Easy conditioner. I have noticed it in the past from this conditioner but it was mild, this time I used the conditioner after coloring my hair wtih Lorel hair color. I guess you shouldn't mix? Anyway I used three things this morning and it got most of it out. Not sure which one was the best. I used Palmolive mixed with Tea Tree oil from the health foood store and let that sit for 2 mintues or so, then I used the CVS version of TGel shampoo, then I used Nutreogena Clarifiying shampoo. I didn't use conditioner. But my hair was so dry I used some frizzease on the ends after I blowdryed my hair. So I think tomorrow I am going to use the same three shampoos and hoefully it will be the end of this monster oily waxy greazzy thing on my head!
Hey you were right, I got most of the gunk out yesterday with the Palmolive etc, but today I used the Listerine and the clarifying shampoo and it got every last trace out. I am guessing it would have worked alone. Also make sure you tilt your head back far enough with the Listerine, I got a little near my eyes, they were shut, but it stung my eye lids like crazy..
Thanks everyone on this board for all your information, I hope I am "cured" for good.
Donna
I have never been so excited to find this forum!  I've been looking under greasy hair for the past month.
I even had blood work done because I just turned 40.  This is not a thyroid problem.
Thank you all for advice, will be trying today as soon as stores open up.  Well let you know how it goes!
I have been dealing with the problem of having a "Sapy" crown for a while. I was in a car accident almost two years ago and had very long hair I hurt both my shoulders and couldn't dress my hair properly so I started wearing it up in a bun. I wore it this way for about a year before I started having problems. I came to this site looking for a solution and it hit me! I would put my hair up while it was wet! Fungus thrives on dark damp environments. Today I used Ajax dish detergent the original lemon. and my hair is almost back to normal I also blow dried it on the cool setting NOT heated because it seems to make the stickiness worse. I also pulled just the sides of my hair up and clipped it with a Barret to keep myself comfortable and leaving my crown exposed so it can get air. I hope this helps someone or even all of you as it has me. Its a BIG improvement in just one day!!!
I asked everyone about this, and this site is the first place I found my answer!  It was so frustrating and weird.  But I just knew I could not be the only person on earth dealing with it! :)

I have had very nice, long, straight hair my whole life, without any  issues.  This new condition is not the normal "Oh I haven't washed my hair for 48 hrs and now it is a little oily."  It is greasy and a little sticky, not too sticky, but it is like a film and almost waxy for me.  It makes me look like i haven't washed my hair in a week, RIGHT after I step out of the shower.

It happened the first time about 6 months or so ago last fall, and I think I used Dawn a few times and it was fine, or it just naturally went away.  I first blamed my shampoo, like everyone else.  I hadn't colored my hair for about 10 years at this point, so I wasn't doing anything besides washing and conditioning with the same shampoo I have used since high school.  After I used Dawn I realized that my good old shampoo wasn't the problem, and went back to my favorite shampoo.

This time it has been back on and off for a few weeks, so I did this today: Reg shampoo, Listerine: the minty kind! (and let set for about 5 min), Dawn, Reg shampoo, Conditioner.  I also cleaned my brush with alcohol.  I'll let you all know how it goes.  

I'm not sure this is fungus for me, as I had lived in a very humid climate for years and never had trouble, and all of this started in a very dry climate.  I rarely wear my hair up, and when I do it is only for an hour or so at a time.  

Good luck everyone!
I can't believe anything even showed up on this "sudden oily scalp" search!  Here you all are.  I'm 63yrs. old with beautiful, but slightly thinning hair in front.  Went to specialty store about 6 mos. ago and got a "growth stimulating shampoo" and a product containing minoxidol for the front.  The shampoo and products were great.  Didn't even need a conditioner with this shampoo.  Went to an upscale salon to get my haired colored with Goldwell product, since that is what the specialty salon recommended.  Then suddenly about 10 days ago, I was touching the crown of my head and felt this waxy mess!  I washed my hair 27 times within a week with all different shampoos and bar soaps.  Nothing worked till I used Paul Mitchel l#3 Clarifying shampoo.  After about the 4th time I washed with it, all residue was practically gone.  In the meantime, I stopped using all of my other specialty products and nothing mattered.  I started using them again.  The clarifying shampoo definitely helps, but my hair is still not right.  I'm calling dermatologist and endocronologist tomorrow and making appointments.  I'll let you know since just reading this site has made me feel better.
I am so relieved to hear that there are others out there experiencing what I have for the last few weeks. Like many of you I thought I had not rinsed my hair very well. I have knee length hair and the length of it was totally fine. The crown of my head was a mess. I talked to my sisters this afternoon and they said that it happens to them sometimes but they just change shampoo and it goes away.  I already tried changing shampoos with no success
I am not on any bith control. I do not have any allergies. I have not changed shampoo or conditioner in the last few months. I have never had my hair colored. I do not have thyroid problems. I have never had oily hair. I live in So Cal so it is not a hot dry or day cold environment. I have started taking Omega3, Flax Seed Oil and calcium.
Other than having the same symptoms it appears that I do not have anything in common with anyone elses suspicions about how this happens.
I have been swimming thinking that the cholorine would help...no such luck.
It does seem like the vinegar and mouth wash seem to be working for others. I will certainly give that a fair try.
I will try to make sure I post my experience with the mouth wash, vinegar and clarifing shampoo.
Thank you for all of your input and for simply sharing your experiences. It was a relief to me to know that others are experiencing this as well.
Good Luck to everyone!
Like so many of you have said - it's good to finally find others with this strange condition.  My husband thinks I'm a bit strange thinking this is anything other than just oily hair for a few days.  I find it funny that he even has an opinion, as he has been shaving his head for a few years now!  I am 35 & am experiencing the same symptoms as everyone else - it just popped up last week.  Yuck!  I will try some of the "cures" listed.  Even if it doesn't work for me, I'm glad it's helping some of you!  It will be interesting if there ever is a name given to the condition/symptoms.
I'm so glad I found this forum. I have had this oily, sappy crown for a few weeks now, and have to just pull my hair back because it looks so gross and unwashed, right after showering. I swear... I was THIS close to just shaving my head and buying a hat. The only reason I didn't is because I wasn't convinced it would go away, after all, nothing else has worked! Thanks everyone for posting your stories. I can now tell my husband that I am not crazy and try some of the suggestions above. Big thanks to everyone who shared their cures. :)
Hi everyone,

this has happened to me a few times and I had no idea what was happening or why as it was so sudden, like the shampoo just kept sticking to the crown of my head no matter how much I washed or rinsed it. I have a friend who was a sales rep for redken when this first happened to me, and she recommended I try their Hair Cleansing Cream Shampoo, which is designed to be used occassionally to remove product build up. After one wash the greasy sticky patch was gone! I swear by it, it works everytime, and this has now probably happened to me about 6 times over the last 7 years. Try it, you won't be disappointed.
ok, this goes to you jersey girl and sevlow.  I have to admit I thought you were crazy before with the fungus talk.  then i read on and saw sevlow's comments.  Here is my background and now it makes sense to me:

-no history of waxy/oily hair - ever!  I am 36 yrs old
-no changes in hair products, i have long hair
-have been training for my first half marathon and have never been a      runner
-started to take glucosamine for joints/tendon strength
missed two BC pills in the last week!

So I am thinking it was hormones after reading some of the posts.  I had also considered the fact that I have been putting my hair up in a ponytail (something I never would do - always wore it down to work and in a clip at home).  And you know what?  It was usually damp when I put it up!  Plus, I run with it up and sometimes have a ball cap on.  sure makes sense for the fungal explanation now doesn't it!  I thought maybe just sweat, etc but had never thought of fungus growth from dampness!

thanks for all the comments as I too thought I was going crazy!  I will have to try the palmolive/apple cider.....and of course I don't have either so it will require a trip to the store!  here's to trying it!

I can't stand this sudden oily hair either. Everyone thinks I am going crazy too! I am a hair dresser and have no idea what could be causing it. I guess it could be fungal but I still think it is hormonal. I wash my hair everyday and only put it up occasionly. When I do put it up, I know to make sure it is dry before hand. I really wish someone would figure out what causes this. I am going to try bar soap (which i read on another forum) and palmolive for sure. Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this crazy hair problem.
Hi ,
i am so glad to know that i'm not the only one suffering from this problem. It started about 10 days ago and the oil just doesn't seem to leave my hair... infact the oil comes back as soon as i step out of the shower . Went to see a dermatologist but he was as amazed as i was and had no answer to my problem.. i am not taking any contraceptives , don't have any medical history ... please please let me know more about it and does the listerine and clarifying shampoo really help ? i am willing to try anything that helps !!
WOW, never did I imagine this problem plagued so many people.  Mine started at the crown about 10 days ago and has since spread down the middle part.  It's just awful, makes me feel unclean, I'm sorry to say this but I am glad I'm not alone.  I am heading down to the shops now to try Jersey Girls remedies. Fingers crossed!  Thanks everybody for taking the time to write a post, I'm very grateful!
Okay, so im 16 years old, and im having the same problem, yall have had. Except it looks like im the youngest, but why? The beginning top of my head to this day, is still greasy. I take 2 showers a day, and i make sure i get all of the shampoo and comditioner out completely, and i still feel the greasyness in the shower. I hate it! I don't have anything yall have been speaking of to cure it, but i do have tea tree oil. Im too scared to use it, i think it will make it worse. Why is this happening to me..
This post was very helpful:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/Why-is-my-scalp-at-the-crown-suddenly-very-oily/show/554573

I am experiencing the same thing. I washed my hair 2 hours ago, double shampoo, conditioner.. blow dry.... still waxy oily-ness in the top middle...... started about a month ago...

Possibly from too many varieties of shampoo/conditioner? Possibly from depo birth control shot... possibly from clairol/herbal essences dye/ products..
I was dealing with sticky crown for about a month.  I tried my husband's Head and Shoulders, my daughter's Dove shampoo, and bought a clarifying shampoo.  None helped.  A friend suggested baby shampoo.  I used my toddler's Aveeno baby.  It worked like a charm.  I hope this helps someone else.
Hi Guys I have the same problem too. I am currently not on any birth control. But I have found washing my hair with Pure Apple Cider Vinegar just at the Crown of my head helps big time! The oiliness goes away for about a week. Then I have to wash again. I since have stopped using any store bought shampoo. I make my own with natural herbs and rose water. Give it a Try and let me know how it goes for you. Just a Cap full of Apple Cider at the Crown of Your Head. Rub It In. Rinse Out...with water and then shampoo like one usually does.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I was so distressed by this weird occurrence.
Thank you for all of the tips.  The apple cider vinegar and palmolive treatment worked like a charm.  Then used the tea tree oil shampoo.  So great!  After reading some related forums I discovered that someone connected their occurrence to Garnier Fructis, which is what I had been using.  My husband developed the same problem shortly after I did, only to find out he had been using my shampoo too!  Just an observation!

Thanks for the support and suggestions so great to find out I'm not alone!
I, too, just started using Garnier Fructis products and have developed the oily, waxy patch at the crown of my head.  I'm going to try some of the remedies mentioned here, and thank you all for the input.
I am also very glad to have found this forum!  I had no idea other people were noticing this...My oily hair started in the coldest of Winter months and I thought my body was just climatizing.  I've mostly noticed that if I wash my hair at night and let it dry naturally it is incredibly greasy in the morning at the crown (which has never happened before).  In the past I have been able to apply a blow dryer to it and the grease is zapped, not anymore!  Also, if I wash it in the morning and half blow dry it, it is beyond greasy at night no matter what!...  The funniest part is that the original post I saw on this was about using Garnier Fructis and Selson Blue as a follow up...that's what's in my shower...Is it product or body chemistry?
I too noticed this sticky crown issue about a week ago. I am 26 and do not have any more stress in my life than usual. I am on the Depo-Provera shot for birth control and read that Depo-Ralovera (a very similar shot) can cause greasy hair. (http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/greasy_hair/side-effects.htm) I wonder if I could have received the wrong shot when I was in about 2 weeks ago, the names are so similar.

At first I thought I didn't rinse the shampoo or conditioner out of my hair well enough.  Then I thought it was the new shampoo and conditioner I was using (Herbal Essences Hello Hydration) and switched to Aussie. When that didn't work I tried an Aussie clarifying shampoo, it only seemed to get worse! I just tried the Sauve Clarifying and Listerine trick, and I am sad to say it did not work for me. Although, I'm glad it seems to have worked for many of you!  I will be going to the store tomorrow to pick up some apple cider vinegar and palmolive and I hope that will help. However, I am happy to tell all of you dealing with this frustrating, embarassing problem that sprinkling in a little baby powder and combing it through drastically improves the appearance 100%, at least allowing us to feel comfortable with our hair while we deal with this awful mystery! Thank you all for your posts and advice, I am so relieved I'm not the only person experiencing the sudden sticky crown!
I never had this problem until I coloured my hair on Sunday with Nice and Easy and used their conditioner.  My crown has been greasy for two days no matter how many times I wash/rinse.  So beware...don't use the conditioner from your colour kit...stick with your regular conditioner.
I took the advice here and mixed baking soda in my shampoo, then rinsed with vinegar.  Definitely helps a lot, but has not solved the problem completely and still has me concerned about the cause.  The dermatologist I talked to said to have tests done to check the function of my thyroid.  Anyone else hear that?  I'm going in this week for tests.
I FOUND A SOLUTION!!!!
i had the same problem. Sudden appearance of greasy oily hair on the crown area.. And no matter how much i tried washing it and with 4 different types of shampoos, it would not go. i had this once a year ago, i washed it with Johnson's shampoo and it went. However, this time when the greasiness appeared i tried Johnson's shampoo and it dint help. I put egg white on my hair and some of the greasiness went and some still remained. then i decided to try one last thing and then give up. I used henna mixed with beetroot juice and black tea. I used to use this earlier to color my hair. i thought i could help this time because henna dries your hair. I put it on, left it for 4-5 hours. washed it with water alone and no shampoo. After i dried my hair with fingers crossed, to my surprise the grease was completely gone! My hair was entirely clean and soft and shiny as usual! I dint want to shampoo my hair the next day out of fear. So, 2 days later i shampooed it with Johnson's shampoo and did not use any conditioner. My hair is still clean and clear. I am so thankful that the problem went away. I still dnt know wat caused it. Although i think it could be over sweating that might have caused the scalp to become oily since I've been living in a very hot country for a month with temperatures that go upto 44 degree Celsius. Anyway, it is just an assumption. i understand what you all must be going through because i felt the same for 2 weeks. So, when i found my solution, i thought i must tell you all to try. all the best and I hope it helps everyone!
I had the same problem. Started in my vacation when I was camping and it wouldn't go away with any shampoo! I wash my hair every day normally. After a week of sticky hair (it's not really oily, feels more like a lot of hair spray on wet hair) I tried natural vinegar, (1 part vinegar 2 parts water) left it in for 15 minutes and rinsed and it is completely gone! It is now gone for three days and I have washed it since with my normal shampoo. Also used a blowdryer and it still looks normal. I hope this helps you too!
Um...Just read this thread and wanted y'all to know...It's DANDRUFF. It's an over accumulation of dead skin cells that have combined with the sebum on your scalp to create a waxy/sticky/oily substance that doesn't want to seem to come off. (I promise, you don't always have tell tale flakes with dandruff). It is normal to have this come and go throughout life. (Yes, even me, I've dealt with it) Causes can be: too frequent shampooing/stripping, hot showers, pH imbalances, hormonal fluctuation, antibiotics, sudden diet changes, weather extremes, stress, and possible fungal infection.

So, it does have a medical term, and it will go away, you just have to properly treat it over the right course of time. Everyone has this happen, so you're not a 'freak'. Dandruff also has nothing to do with cleanliness/health. It's perfectly normal to experience.

DO NOT continue washing your hair with dish soap (eek!!). It WILL MAKE IT WORSE, not to mention recurring. A lot of what you are trying is actually aggravating the condition and will make it worse, and it will keep coming back. Not to mention you are seriously drying your hair and scalp out. Not a pretty thing at all...

You CAN use APPLE CIDER vinegar, it will take some time relying just on that, though. When diluting it with the water, make sure that once you apply it to your scalp, you allow it to completely dry. Overnight is best if you want to try home remedies. Pure coconut oil helps, too, applied overnight. Your best bets are to pick up some Head and Shoulders/Selsun Blue/Nizoral shampoo (Nizoral is anti-dandruff/antifungal, highly recommended), use it regularly (at least a week) while reducing the heat of the water when showering, and your scalp will rebalance and your hair will return to normal. This is the best way to completely treat it.

Please don't continue stripping your scalp... It will become a much worse problem if you do.
I am experiencing this problem for the 2nd time this year. The fist time, i thought it was a frizz taming sray i had used. So that was thrown straight in the bin. I washed my hair with several different shampoos and even tried lemon washing up liquid but nothing seemed to get rid of it. I literally cried at the thought of my hair being ruined forever. I went to the hairdressers as i thought they would be able to strip my hair or have something to put on it at least. They were completely baffled by this, never seen or heard of it before and needless to say i was embarrassed at the them thinking i had greasy hair and didnt wash it! But it was like grease it was more a film of something like WD40 spray. They tried hair laquer remover, nope didnt work! Then they dried my hair and applied a claryfying shampoo directly onto the hair, let it settle in and washed it out. We did this a couple of times and it gradually got a bit better. So i bought some Pantene Clarifying shampoo and did this for the next few times i washed my hair. It seemed to work. This time im not sure if its hair dye that has done it, but never the less i cant believe this is happening again. :-(
My daughters started after she had went to salon and had highlights and a conditioner treatment. It's been 2 months,she has to go to school everyday with hair up to hide it. I can't believe they haven't found a cure or even researching it.
I am new to this problem. it started about a month ago for me and of course I tried everything to correct it. I am not on a birth control, however I noticed my face became quite greasy at the same time and I have a lot of break outs. The only thing I can think of is hormonal changes in my body, stress, or diet....maybe all of the above???
I have found a magical cure but it is temporary. I went to my local AVEDA salon and got a 5 minutes scalp treatment that cost $10. It is a miracle working process and my hair was 100% back to normal. However, it slowly stated becoming greasy again over time and about 3-4 weeks later it was full blown back. From what I read above it seems this will last 1-2 months and then go away. I am hoping this is true in my case but until then the AVEDA scalp treatment is a blessing!
Talk about a medical study!

Like all of you who have posted, I too have the greasy, sticky area on the crown of my head.

About Me:
I have always had fine oily hair - but nothing a shower couldn't cure.
Because of grays, I've been dying my hair regularly since I was 21.
I have used Pantene forever.
I never use product in my hair and only blow dry it on Fridays (or special occasions).
I just turned 31.
I have no kids - not on birth control (so I don't think it can be totally  attributed to hormones).
I'm due for another color touch up - maybe even a bit overdue...

Last week I noticed some flaking and decided to use some Head and Shoulders. 2 days ago I washed my hair like normal, but didn't use conditioner and when I got out of the shower I immediately felt the difference in my hair. It was sticky - and greasy on the crown.

At first I thought I must not have rinsed out all of the shampoo - but after the second day I knew there was something amiss! I went back to my regular Pantene routine, but to no avail. I've been ponytailing it since the onset. So here I am stumbling around on the internet and I come across this forum - I'm going to give the listerine/clarifying shampoo a go after work --- here's to hoping!
I too was amazed to find so many people with this problem.  I am 43 and have washed my hair daily for as long I can remember. I have oily skin and hair but never been a problem.  Last week I washed my hair as normal, dried it and noticed that my crown looked really greasy and my hair around the crown extremely dull.  I presumed I hadnt washed my conditioner out properly but same happened next day.  In desperation I put some baby powder on my crown which soaked up the oil then I googled 'oily crown' and came across this website - such relief to realise I wasnt alone but sorry that we are all experiencing such a problem. Anyway, I have since figured that if talc works to disguise it, I bought some Batiste dry shampoo which is brilliant (doesnt solve the problem but hair looked so much better) I also bought T-Gel for greasy hair shampoo. I have used the t-gel shampoo for 4 days and so far so good and havent needed the dry shampoo. I wash and rinse hair then condition the ends, then put some more t-gel on crown area while showering so rinse out after a couple of minutes.  I assume it could be pre-menopausal hormone thing but no one seems to know.  Hope this helps!
I have the same problem and I've tried everything to get rid of it! I shower daily , used the vinegar-water solutions, massaging my scalp, nothing worked. then I tried something else, reallyyyy easy and works instantly! just bring one of the combs with really close teeth, after applying shampoo to your hair, while it still on, comb the spots with the sticky oily stuff, comb it all the way down , and it will go away instantly! just one thing, it may come back a few months later, but you can use the same method and get rid of it the same day :) hope this helps
I have this problem as well. I've had the "sticky patch" on the top of my head for several weeks now. Someone mentioned a reaction to a change in weather, and it started happening to me after a huge snowstorm. Also, I recently switched the brand of my birth control to Microgestin, however, the patch was on my head before I switched brands. I've had no change in diet, no increase in oil on my skin, and I've never had any serious problem with an oily scalp or even acne. I've found that any conditioner makes it worse, and I can't help but try to wash it out every night but nothing works. It seems as though there are a million remedies, but I can't afford to go out and buy them all. What should I use to try and cure it?
I had this problem too, about a year and a half ago, and thought id share what ive concluded.

I disagree with the person that said this is a dandruff issue-- i have never had a dandruff problem in my life! It was definitely sappy, not like maple syrup but thicker, waxy, and of course, at the crown of my head. I like the theory that it is from a fungal infection-- I believe I noticed it shortly after a trip abroad, and it came after an odd sore on my finger (not an open sore, but like the skin was raw.)

The responses on this forum were really useful. I had it for a few weeks (maybe a whole month?) total, it went away on its own and I havent had anything like it since. What helped a lot (and I believe sped up the healing process) was putting Listerine in it and baking soda in it, then shampooing. This got rid of some excess, and it cleared up not long after (though not immediately.) Vinegar would probably work as well.

Word to the wise: dont use blue listerine! it will dye your skin! (though it does scrub off.)
i just started to have a oily scalp right where my bangs are and about an inch back. I wash regular and when i get out its just oily like i havent washed in days. Ive been on microgestin since mid sept and nothing has happened. so im at a loss of what to do next. The rest of my hair is silkier than normal too. i dont know whats going on.
Use listerine (original brown formula) for fast fix. It takes the oil out. I poured 3 cap fulls onto the crown of my head. Work it in a little then let it set for 5 min and rinsed. Really works. I coupled it with tea tree shampoo and it's gone. Hope this helps.
STOP washing your hair for a few days... washing it will make this worse and last much longer. Meanwhile use baby powder (absorbs oils) or dry shampoo to achieve a clean look. The more you wash your hair the more your hair will hold onto oils....hence the waxy,sticky, greasy patch. This will go away on its own in a few days but only if you stay calm and stop messing with it (washing it over and over). I have no idea why this happens, could be because you either let your hair get too greasy before washing it or because you wash it too much lol kinda hard to determine. But I DO know that you HAVE TO LEAVE IT ALONE!! IT WILL GO AWAY. may take a few days, but it wont get any worse, as WASHING YOUR HAIR REPEATEDLY WILL MAKE IT WORSE!
This is true, but it might take more than just a few days for your scalp's oil production to recalibrate, try a few weeks maybe. Depending on the severity of your condition, it might look exactly the same after three days..  Stop washing it for a few weeks and stop washing it with store bought shampoos and conditioners all-together. The problem is when you wash your hair excessively, you strip away the scalp's natural oils and that's our body's natural way of cleaning our hair/scalp. So when you take it all away and never let it do its job, it comes back in a fury and over-runs your hair/scalp. So stop washing it for a few weeks or however long it takes to allow the problem to subside, then start washing it sparingly (once a week) with a natural bar shampoo you'd find on etsy, and or with a little baking soda.
I had this same exact problem and was able to get rid of it after 4 days and trying a few different things. Of course like everyone, I tried washing my hair a couple times with regular shampoo, as I originally thought I just didn't get all of the shampoo out of my hair. But by the second day, it got much worse and felt sticky. I washed with Palmolive and did a second wash with watered-down vinegar. This helped a great deal but didn't completely get rid of it. The next day, the stickyness started to reappear. So, that evening, I first washed my head with Palmolvie and let it set in my hair for a few minutes. I then washed out the palmolive and dumped three capfuls (a mouthwash bottle cap) of pure vinegar on the crown of my head. I then washed it out and left the hair to dry that evening. The next morning I woke up and still had much of the greasy feel in my hair (though no stickyness). I got my hair wet in the shower and could definitely feel the difference between the greasy hair around the crown and the rest of my normal hair. I decided to apply bar soap to the crown of my head. I then washed it out and applied my regular Garnier Fructis 2 in 1 shampoo/condition and POOF -- everything is back to normal! I am convinced that it was the bar soap that actually ended up getting the rest of the crap out of my hair and the vinegar that killed whatever was causing it. Worked for me. Might work for you!
I had the very same problem. sticky greasy waxy patch on the top of my head. i thought i was going mad until i saw this forum. I am in Ireland and i couldn't get Palmolive shampoo anywhere so i put half a bottle of cider vinegar onto my head and left it for 20 minutes and washed it out with tre semme deep clensing shampoo and then washed my hair with tea tree shampoo and tee tree conditioner. the problem was gone straight away its gone two weeks now and i'm back to using my normal shampoo. thank you all so much for the advice. I was so glad that i found others who were experiencing the same thing. I would advise anyone else with this problem to try this remedy it might just work for you too.
I am 48 and this oily scalp thing has happened to me after decades of normal non greasy hair! I have tried EVERYTHING! It came so totally out of the blue, I immediately thought "oh it's my favorite shampoo(Paul Mitchell) As I had heard using the same shampoo could lead to the ingredients to stop working. I have tried all the T-Sal's, Tegren, head & shoulders, Palmolive, Listerine, niterol,anti-bacterial soap, vinegar..I am actually ready to dump BLEACH on my head! NO doctor seems to have any clue to what is happening...and in light of the nearly 100/0/0 respondents being female...it's no longer a wonder! If it were a MALE issue there would be all sorts of studies..just saying! I have to say I have tried EVERY possible remedy suggested or prescribed but have not been able to kick this problem for over 6 months now!
I DO notice, unlike other posters that a Month after this began, I also started to notice hair follicle issues on my scalp, face, & eyelashes . I had a moment when my hair seemed OK again..followed by an even worse scalp issue with painful acne like breakouts. After that, my eyelids swelled up, I got styes...& my scalp hair began coming out in handfuls. My eyelashes became so inflamed I went to the eye Doctor 3-7-12. I was hoping for a stye removal or some kind if relief! NOTHING! He had me spend nearly 100.00 on flax seed oil, floravital liquid vitamins,CAL-LYTE capsules & RX eye drops just to rule out infection. NO RELIEF! I have never had an oily scalp or dry eyes..and to have both..??? I bought fake tear drops just for a bit of relief. They only work for one second though. I am at the end of my rope! My scalp is full of large painful lumps, my hair is coming out. I can barely see out of my eyes. The eye doc also told me to drink a gallon of water a day...continue to do that, but my lower legs swell up& that is not a good thing...anyone else have any of these other symptoms? I have tried washing my hair with plain old anti-bacterial soap. It  was feeling completely un-greasy upon leaving the shower...but once I took the towel off it was just as greasy as before..HELP!
I have had this same problem for months now. However, I noticed it happened right around the time that I switched birth controls. I was on Kariva, which was fantastic but isn't covered in my insurance. So I switched to what they said was similiar (Microgestin) HOWEVER I used to never have break outs, and I do all the time now...plus the oily substance at just the crown started occuring. I have tried any shampoo you can think of (natural ones, dandruff fighting ones, Tea Tree oil...etc) but nothing helped. And dry shampoo only made my hair look dingy.

I noticed a few other women mentioned having this problem while being on the same birth control. Therefore, it has to be a cause of hormonal imbalances. If you are on Microgestin, switch! I'm going to get mine switched ASAP after noticing that other women have had the same exact problem while using the same pill. Everyone thought I was crazy for making that assumption but it just makes sense. And I refuse to strip my hair with dish soap, that will damage it!
Same thing happened to me, i became a bit obsessed with trying to scrub it out, lol.  Then.... I tried " boots anti dandruff citrus " which is for oily hair.  i combined this with loreal elvive nutri gloss light, which is in a pink bottle, it has citrus pearl written on it, and also says mid to long dull hair prone to greasiness. After one wash, my hair was absolutely fine, i even went to bed, and when i woke up i didn't have to wash again, which is amazing for my hair. and 2 weeks later the oily patch hasn't come back.
hope this helps someone else   :)
You have to love the internet. This problem started with me 2 days ago. I was in complete awe. Never before have I had greasy hair what-so-ever. Then suddenly the exact same thing. Only in one area, a very bad sticky oily patch on the crown. I too - thought I hadn't rinsed my hair out well enough. I too, scrubbed and scrubbed with Head and Shoulders only to see the problem get worse the next day. I am on my way out to purchase these remedies of palmolive, apple cider vinegar, and anti fungals. I would have never guessed fungal problem - but it does not surprise me. THANK YOU to all who have shared your similar experience and remedy. Very helpful to others.
Palmolive as in the dish soap???
I just got this problem a few days ago, and it's so strange... really sappy feeling, but clumpy like oily/greasy hair! It's there even when my hair is still wet right after shampooing/conditioning. At first I thought I didn't rinse well enough, but now I know that's not the case.
It feels like someone poured a weak, watery hairspray mix on my hair.
I'm going to try the Suave+Listerine method, but what I really want to know is HOW this happens in the first place!
For me, it's didn't just start at the roots. One day I just suddenly had it all over the crown of my hair, probably 3 inches or more out from the roots. So does it come directly from the hair itself, or what??
we probably have same concern, im experiencing hairfall, its like 10 hairs o my bed evryday i woke up, and then sometimes when i pull my hair down, there were 3hairs falling out, and i think the only reson why im experiencing this, its bcause i have an infected scalp, i mean i have oily crown, flaky dandruff and sometimes pinkish scalp on my crown ... and i feel that my hair is thinning, but i had my rebonded 3months ago, i dunno if thats the reason why i feel that my hair is thinning ... may derma told me that i have telogen efluvium, mild seborheic dermatitis, and then he gave me tar shampoo and a hair grower shampoo, but its already 3 weeks thaat im using it and nothings change ... but other people say that having an oily scalp it means its healthy? i am really confused ! i love my hair so much and i dont wanna loose it, im turning 25 this june, i also have diabetis that why hairfall or thinning hair really makes me so worried, stressed and depressed ... i used to cry evrytime i saw 10 hairs falling ...
I have the same problem- I have been trying lemon juice, dry shampoo, clarifying shampoos, not using conditioner, washing over and over; dish soap- all to no avail.  This is the second time in 4 months this has happened to me.  It went away on it's own last time but now it's back.  I'm only on insulin med, a multivitamin and fish oil.  But I've taken the fishoil for years so idk if it is that.  I'm also 27 like you too.   Idk.  They say our body changes every 7 years but this is just weird.   You can feel in the shower that ur not getting the grease out and it's so frustrating to leave the shower knowing that it's going to be a sticky mess on the top of ur head.  I've left my hair down to dry to try n help... It didn't work.  Going to try a beauty supply store today and raid all of their anti-grease stuff.  I've never even had nearly close to greasy hair- my hair has always been the perfect balance.  Sooooooo annoying.
i think i have the asme problem but i am not quite sure. my hair is a bit ok when i get out of the shower, but after a while, maybe 4-5 hours, it gets oily in the crown area and only there, the rest of my hair is super dry. i have permed hair but i never ever had this situation before, it just started yesterday, i washed my hair twice today, one in the morning and one in the late afternoon, but i think that it is still a bit oily in the crown area.
should i be concerned? :(
I went 18 years of my life without this problem and suddenly my scalp started getting extremely oily with a film, especially on the crown. I've got it to go away, but it creeps it's way back into my life. The only things I did differently around the time of the onset that I didn't do before was dye my hair and also take acne medicine called Minocycline. It was frustrating because people just thought I "wasn't washing my scalp the right way". Doctors or dermatologists will just say you are washing your hair too little or too much, but we all know there is a chemical imbalance/allergy going on on our scalps :(

I do have a history of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. Wonder if any of you have had those issues. I also have very fine hair that needs to be washed daily as it is.

I have found luck with Nioxin Scalp Therapy Conditioner (Nutri Ox at Sally Beauty Supply). It sounds scary that it's not called shampoo, but don't worry! It helps dry up your scalp. It actually is meant for thinning hair, but it was originally suggested to me for dandruff and for a conditioning treatment after hair dye. I also use a shampoo from Avon to get voluminous hair and it doesn't make the problem worse. Whenever I have time, I shampoo twice. Today I used about half a palm full of the Nioxin mixed with a bit of the volumizer shampoo and my hair is completely clean!! Nioxin is one of those products that makes your scalp tingle, by the way. Don't use stuff for color treated hair because if you have color treated hair, it is expected that your hair is dry so it has lots of moisturizing contents that will make it worse I believe. Also, malibu treatments (go to Sally Beauty Supply, they'll know what you're talking about) are a great quick fix!! They really help remove a lot of the residue and mineral deposits, but you can't do it that often since it takes 20 minutes to do. When your scalp is at it's worst, I would say, do all of what I've said plus do the malibu treatment once a week.

I will probably never use the dish soap remedy haha. Vinegar wouldn't hurt, though!

I hope we can all find the culprit, and the once and for all cure, instead of just remedies!
This same thing happened to me about a week ago.  All of a sudden the crown of my scalp started to get extremely oily and a film started to develop.  Even after washing I could tell my hair was still oily and even the texture of it wasnt normal.  Every time i touched it it would leave a slight residue on my hands.

I too am 27 (its soo odd that most of us on here are 27) and this has never happened to me.  I am not on any birth control or take any prescriptions pills or take any vitamins.  I tried using hand soap and dish soap but that only helped a tiny bit.  I work as a makeup artist so i do know quite a bit about skin.  So here is one theory... people who have oily skin think that they do not need to use moisturizer cuz they think since they produce excess oil none is needed. But that is false, if you leave your skin dry more oil will produce because your skin is thirsty for it.  ALL skin needs moisture.  That is why dish soap is not a good idea, your hair will only excrete more oil.  The other thing is that oil removes oil so with that being said i used moraccain oil in my hair every night and slept with it.  I washed my hair with Matrix scalp therapy shampoo and after my shower i sprayed my hair with Matrix Oil Treatment and used their dry shampoo as well.  Its been a week now and my hair is almost back to normal!!! Hope this helps!

TRY BABY SHAMPOO BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!

I just wanted to say, THANK YOU to all of you who suggested baby shampoo. I read everyone's experiments and solutions and I decided that Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo would be my first attempt at getting rid of the grease. It worked like a charm! One wash, and my hair was back to normal! All I did was lather it in, let it sit for about 5 minutes, and then washed it out and conditioned my hair like usual. Blow dryed my hair like usual and everything was back to normal!  

Here's why:

I think depending on what shampoo you use, and how often you wash your hair, your scalp can start to work over time and oversecrete the natural oils, causing this greasy spot. I had just started using head and shoulders again about a month or so ago (just randomly, I don't even have dandruff or anything), and I've used it plenty before, but I think head and shoulders is actually a very strong shampoo since it's meant for dandruff people, so I think it freaked out my scalp after so many washes. The Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo was really mild and gentle and helped wash away the grease without freaking out my scalp.

For those of you who resorted to dishwashing detergent, laundry detergent, vinegar, etc, those are actually all very harsh, and could just cause your scalp to secrete even more oil in response to you trying to remove the grease with harsh chemicals. I highly recommend baby shampoo first, then tea tree oil, and slowly increasing the strength in the product you might need to remove the grease, but try to keep it on the natural side. I don't think Palmolive was meant for hair...although I was prepared to use it myself, I won't deny that.

But the same thing happened to me that happened to all of you..

I have normal hair, wash it regularly, change shampoos here and there, and never had I ever experienced this greasy crown until one morning. I had showered, and as I was blow drying my hair, I noticed my bangs (crown area only) were super greasy, like I hadn't washed my hair in a week. I immediately thought I hadn't washed out the conditioner, so I dunked my head in the sink, in an attempt to wash the bangs again. After another blow dry, it was still greasy, so I jumped in the shower and shampooed and conditioned all over again, but even after shampooing and rinsing I still felt the grease, even while still IN the shower. I gave up and found this forum, and I feel very lucky to have found you all, because to my surprise the BABY SHAMPOO WORKED!

So please try this first! Before anything! Then add a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo if it doesnt work, and then apple cidar vinegar..and THEN maybe resort to those other things people mentioned above...
hey every one , i had the same problem yesterday .. I washed my hair twice .. Tried everything to remove the oil , and still nothing worked ! It frustrating I know , almost cried everytime i saw it in the mirror .. I left my hair tied it up and tried to forget about it .. Today i went to the nearest market and got a dove shampoo that has the words 'daily care or used daily ' washed my hair once  .. No CONDITIONER .. Waited for it to dry on its own .. And just like magic ! MY HAIR WENT BACK TO NORMAL ! all u have to do is leave it for a day and then get dove daily shampo and thats all no oils or weird stuff what so ever ! I hope this works with u guys like it did with me ..
I use dove shampoo and I developed this while using it. So... no. That doesn't work for everyone.
I have that stupid sticky crown spot and I'm only 13!!! My mom said it's because of puberty but now that I've read this i know it's not the only reason. Ido what yo do about it buy i cant even arar mu gait diwn yo school somedays because of it!!! It makes me so mad. My mom also has said I'm not washing the shampoo and conditioner out good enough...  But nothing us working:( help me!!!!
I don’t know if anyone has posted this yet, but I actually found something that got rid of the excess oil on the top of the scalp.  I’ve had this problem since I gave birth to my daughter, and it didn’t go away in 1-2 months.  *I would guess b/c I’m nursing so my hormones are still racing.  

Anyway, to what cured it.  No fancy shampoo’s or rinses.  Get Suave Daily clarifying shampoo and the original brown listerine.  Wash with Suave shampoo (rinse) then use the listerine *use the cap to measure* and rinse it through your hair 3 to 4 times.  I let it set for 60 seconds on my hair then rinsed it out, and conditioned on the ends of my hair.  Then, just for added measure I rinse my hair with cold water to close up the pores.  

I did this whole process twice, but after the 1st time it was, honestly, 90% better.  I’ve not had to do it since and it’s been 2 weeks, so far.  *I got this remedy from another board online of women having the same issue.  
I'm also 27 and am having the same problem.  I would love to find a cause -- some people mention starting to take a multivitamin, which is the only link I've found for myself (no birth control or surgery, etc).  Although I think it might have to do with diet choices as well (lots of sugar and wheat lately, cutting that out starting today!).  Any way -- would love any updates and can't believe this isn't being researched/talked about in the medical field!
Hi I have had this problem TWICE in my life-both times after I swtiched shampoos and conditioners. I got while using Fructise and while using Dove hair care products. I immediately switched from them everytime and it took about a week or two for my hair to go back to normal. I don't think it is a medical problem, but more a product problem. I also just got the same thing and I started using a different Suave conditioner. I have to watch what type of conditioner/shampoo I use. But I would say that it is from your product and it should go away after you swtich.
I just had this problem happen to me right before Thanksgiving. With no difference in hair product used, water type, blow drying, etc., the waxy hair on the crown of my head just popped up about an hour after I washed my hair. It happened for about 5 days before I found this site. I decided to try to baby shampoo first and just see if it would fix it, because that seemed like the least strange strategy. I went and bought some Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo, and voila, no more waxy crown! I washed my hair with the baby shampoo again two days later, and everything was still fine. Then today, I got my hair cut, and they used whatever shampoo they use there, and it is still fine, so I think the problem is gone. I expect that when I go back to my regular shampoo tomorrow, it will still be fine.

I don't think it's the hair products because everyone here uses a wide variety, and I always have about two or three shampoos and conditioners in my shower at any time and switch them around. I also don't think it's a fungus. I'm more likely to believe it is some sort of dermatological issue brought on by stress or hormones. In any event, try the baby shampoo first!!
Wow this is weird!! It's good to read others are experiencing what I am currently experiencing, but it is such a strange thing.
My hair was thick and normal....slightly dry at times because I highlight it.  Suddenly my hair at the top and the bangs and sides has thinned and gotten really greasy. So greasy. I think I have lost about half my hair. There is nothing different that has been happening and yet this huge dramatic change in my hair. Someone told me to use Tea Tree Oil shampoo as it will help if it is a fungal problem and will help with oil and other skin conditions of the scalp (which may be what's causing our oily hair).

There's nothing more frustrating than phsycians downplaying things and making blanket statements basically saying there's no such thing.  Well guess what? There are thousands of diseases, viruses, and disorders which are not yet discovered. This may be one of them. Remember, often times when a physician does not know what it is, they'll pretend there's no such thing, because they lack the knowledge to help you with your problem and don't want to admit it.  Sudden onset of symptoms is not normal. Clearly it is a valid, medical condition with physical symptoms.

Anyway, I will try to come back and let you know how the tea tree oil is helping.  I am also going to take 5000mcg of Biotin, which I hear does wonders for her hair.  

Just last Wednesday evening in the shower I noticed my hair felt very different at the crown when rinsing out my shampoo. While wet, it felt hard and like straw. I'm 42 years old, not on birth control and have never used it; my hair is wavy/curly and thick and I have never had a problem like this with my hair before, ever. When I felt the weird texture in the shower, I shampooed my hair several more times but could not get the texture "right". so I stopped because, having gone through cosmetology training and having my license even though I do not work in the field, I knew if I shampooed it any more that I'd be setting my scalp up to work overtime producing more sebum (oil). I do not wash my hair every day and I rarely use products in it. I always let it air dry. The sticky/tacky feeling and the look/appearance of greasy hair, but only at the crown, is has been throwing me for a loop. I finally decided to google the symptoms and have found several forums where people, all women, are posting about this random greasy/sticky area of hair at the crown. There has GOT to be something we all have in common that none of us has thought of since not all of us are on or have taken birth control, not all of us color our hair, there seems to be a very random and diverse list of products everyone uses regularly so it can't be one product in particular, some are teenagers yet others are 40+ yrs old so it's not age dependent, some are not on medications at all while others have mentioned they are....so what are we all missing that we have in common? Could it really be hormones? I'm 42 and have never had this happen before so if it were hormones why wouldn't it have happened to me as a teenager? I was in tears earlier today out of sheer frustration about what has happened to my formerly wonderful head of hair. The only thing I could think of was to try a chelating (fancy word for clarifying) shampoo to remove the sticky residue or see if it would remove the sticky residue. I may try the vinegar first though since I have that on hand. Vinegar is not bad for hair and as a matter of fact, for the person who said earlier that listed it along with some others to avoid, it actually is a natural softener and also a natural fungicide so it's the perfect place to start. (and if you are looking for a natural fabric softener for your laundry just pour some white vinegar into your washing machine). I'm hopeful now after reading so many posts that I'll be able to get this off my hair even if I have to try a few things first....
I haven't read all the other comments but I just recently started Microgestin and I too now suddenly have an oily scalp that I NEVER had before. Did you stop taking the pill to see if that helps? What product are you using for your hair?
Today I had the same problem, which is how I found this site but I went to my hair dresser and she said this:
Harsh shampoo such as anti dandruff ones will cause your scalp to burn which causes sebum to leak onto the scalp. The only way to get rid of it is to only wash your hair every second day with a deep cleansing shampoo that contains nourishing amino acids for your scalp and it should clear up after a week, in the mean time if your have light coloured hair put in some talcum powder and brush it through to absorb the oil :)
Hi becki,
Running / sweating for extended periods of time with a hat on has caused scalp problems for me as well.  I use light weight moisture wicking hats which I wash regularly when I run, and if it has been a hot sweaty work out I resist the temptation to do yard work or other dirty sweaty activities before showering.  I have found that if I shower immediatly so that I only have the hat on my sweaty hair for 2 hours vs. 6 hours my scalp stays much healthier.  I suppose you could take the hat off immediatly after running to air out your hair, but I would be horrified if anyone were to see my with sweaty hat hair....
I have also had this problem... that is why I looked it up! I am 28 years old and never had this problem before, however I was at my aunts house and she used vinegar on my hair... it is all cleared up now!! Wash your hair with distilled white vinegar and it will stop it... Wash with shampoo first and then water and vinegar, let it set for a minute and rinse then wash again with shampoo and if you want to use conditioner you can, I did and my hair is back to normal!!!
I recently I also faced the same problem... Extremely oily crown and dry hair at the ends... He best way to get rid of this is take a container and boil water with tea (chai patti) in it... Wait for it to boil (hot) and then add one whole lemon to it and 1/4 tea spoon of baking soda to it....mix it and the filter this water ( to remove the tea (chai patti)).. After you shampoo ur hair rinse ur hair  with this and then tie ur hair in a clutcher... When you are done taking bath open ur hair and then rinse your hair again with warm water till the entire tea water with lemon and baking soda is out.... You will see a lot of effect... But u have to repeat this process few times before getting the ultimate result.... Please try this.... It really worked for me ....
I only ever get this when I use any shampoo and conditioner other than the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. I have been exclusively using this shampoo and conditioner for a few years now and  I ran out the other day so I used dove shampoo and conditioner and it gave me a waxy grease spot on the top of my head at the back. I promptly bought Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition and it instantly went away! I will never use anything else again!
My daughters hair just started doing this same thing & only at the crown of her head. She is six yrs old & no medications. I even thought she had put something in her hair & didn't want to tell me. It feels like she got into some baby oil or something. We washed it with baking soda & shampoo & it cleared up for a few months but now it is back! I was just searching to see what the cause is. Guess I will get the baking soda back out!
It's nice that I'm not the only one. I would like to know the WHY and not just the how to remedy this. I don't know what the common factor is. I will try some of the treatments but if anyone figures out the WHY I would really like to know. Oh, something else interesting is that my lymph nodes in my arm pits are swollen...random I know, but just thought I'd mention it.
I had the same problem. I had really nice hair, then I moved and my hair became sticky and oily at the crown. It was disgusting! I tried everything. I got a water filter for my shower head, changed shampoos multiple times, then did the listerine thing. Nothing worked. Then FINALLY I tried baking soda! It worked!
      I mixed a bunch of it in with my shampoo (head and shoulders, which I started using because of this problem) and used it on just the oily part of my hair. It worked the first time and now my hair is back to normal :D couldn't be happier.
      I thought I would let everyone know, since I stumbled onto this site when the problem first started and it seemed a lot of people had the same problem. Try it, it worked for me!
I have dis condition too....for 2 years now....finally found a doctor who could actually examine d problm...my oil glands are on a high accrding to the doctor and that is why my scalp is becoming oily even if i shampoo everday and it wont go away.also pain is there on scalp even if someone plays with my hair or i touch it....its very frustratingu knw....lets hope that it will go away
I had the same problem! Instead of going for all the things listed here, I tried to go for a simpler route and just try different things. My mom suggested baby shampoo, and I imediately shrugged it off. I did end up trying it though, and after two washed my hair was back to normal! It's been over a week and my greasy hair has not returned, and I didn't have to put anything extra in my hair! Hope this works for everyone else!
What ended up working for me was using white vinegar, UNdiluted, with the juice of a whole lemon, in a spray bottle. I sectioned my hair and sprayed the mixture all over, concentrating on the crown where it was "sticky". I clipped my hair up and left it on for about 30 minutes, then got in the shower and applied shampoo directly to my hair without adding any extra water. I left the shampoo on for a little bit while bathing, rinsed then conditioned. I would say the greasy, sticky stuff had been reduced by about 90%. The vinegar treatment left the rest of my hair super soft. I waited several days and repeated this procedure and after the 2nd treatment my hair went back to normal.

When I look back now at what else ended up going on with my body, I am convinced more than ever that this sticky, greasy, only-in-the-crown, stuff is hormonal. At the time of my original posting comment, I'd been menstruating for 3 days so at the time nothing was out of the ordinary. Subsequent to my 12/17/12 posting, I ended up experiencing 6 weeks of continual menstruation, which had NEVER happened to me before. I went to the doctor because I was sure I had cancer (my mother had been recently diagnosed) but turns out I have the beginnings of fibroids. Fibroids are also hormone senstive and had I not experienced the bleeding (no pain) that caused me to go in to be checked, I'd have not known they were even there b/c it took a sonogram to discover them. I'm giving all of this information because, most of the time women don't even know they have or are growing fibroids in their uterus unless they get to a size that cause pain or if women in childbearing years are having difficulty in getting pregnant and start getting tested for everything under the sun.

The frustrating part is that even if you get your hormones tested, that test (which was also one of the tests I received) only shows a snapshot of what your hormone levels were on THAT DAY that your blood is drawn so often times this is not definitive and is why they can't even use hormone blood tests in determining if a woman has entered menopause or not; because hormonal imbalances can happen day to day and change every day.

I did discuss the hair issue with my gynecologist because by the time I got in to see her, it had only been a short time since I'd gotten the sticky greasy hair thing under control. She said she had only had one other patient over the years ask her about a greasy sticky patch of hair problem but that it didn't surprise her because many women would probably not make the connection to hormones and/or be too embarrassed to ask. She said it would make sense that it's hormonally connected but that it was an educated guess and not a diagnosis (obviously she had to be careful). I love my gynecologist because she said she wanted to start asking her patients about any irregularities in their hair texture when treating her patients for irregular periods, fibroids, conception problems, just to see if other women who obviously are having hormonal fluctuations are also experiencing this phenomenon with their hair to see if she could make more of a connection.

I don't know if this helps anyone else or not but thought I'd share that conversation.  
I do not have any information to add, but I am posting to show that one more person has this same problem.  Hopefully, someone will take notice and diagnose the cause.  I have been having this problem about once per week for four months now.  My hair will be perfectly fine in the morning, but after I shower and dry my hair I will notice the "goopy grease" on the crown of my head.  The cure for me has been posted above.  I simply put my head in the sink and lather Palmolive dish detergent on my scalp.  So far that cures it everytime, but I am sick of the hassle.  I want a diagnosis and complete cure.  I have to get up early in the mornings in case I have to rewash my hair.  I don't wash it with Palmolive everyday because I don't think that can be good for your hair.  I asked my dermatologist and hair dresser but they didn't have any answers.  I am astonished that this many people are suffering from the same problem and there is no known cause or answer.  Good luck to everyone with all of the home remedies that have been posted.    
I am 35, female, Caucasian, have fine strand, thick slightly wavy light colored hair. I have had this exact problem for about 4 days now. I have not changed my shampoos or hair products.

In the last week I have had a serious sinus infection, I have not been eating my normal extremely healthy diet, (My normal diet is 80%  whole foods with no almost no processed foods absolutely no fast or junk foods and very little processed sugar (less than 10grams a day)) I have been taking Tylenol Extra Strength Day & Night Cold and Sinus Relief, have not been showering daily (my normal routine for over 20 years) and have not been active/exercising at all. I also had the worst period of my life 2 weeks ago and have been spotting a bit this week while sick - so my hormones are definitely off. I do have hypothyroidism but as far as I know, it is in check although I will be getting it tested shortly since it does seem my hormones are a little wacky.

So my hair issues came roughly the same time as my sinus infection, a change in my usual diet and the introduction of some over the counter sinus medications. I am thinking there is some relationship there.

Tonight I am going to try the vinegar and baking soda and see what happens. I am also off the medications, feeling much healthier and returning to my regular healthy diet and exercising. I am just including all off this history in case someone else notices something similar happening in their own life.
Hello JerseyGirlNB
I'm so relieved to no longer wonder what is happening with my scalp and my hair!

I was reading all of the posts on this forum and I really liked your post here. I like many out there, just recently discovered I have THIS sticky situation with my hair too. I had no idea what it is, why it happened, speculation with coworkers this morning made me just google my concern and landed here on this site. I'd like to try what you suggested but I have to ask... how long should one soak their scalp in Apple Cider Vinegar before they shower? Do I soak it straight with apple cider vinegar from the bottle? OR do I dilute it with water? I'm willing to buy it, I've already purchased a small bottle of tea tree oil anti-fungal scalp and hair treatment and I'm going to find another version of Head and shoulders or a Selson Blue shampoo if I have to. I don't want to use dishwashing detergent on my hair, it just scares me to even think about it. I'm not so sure about the acidopholis pills....

Anyway, I'm going to see about buying the other items and hope to see some results in about a week or two. I hope this all works for me. :)
Wow... typed it in once and all of these other people are having the same thing?!  Mine started about 10 days ago.  It's just in one weird section on the front crown of my head.  I have a question to any of you who see this and  may know the answer.   Are the anti-fungal shampoos safe for color-treated hair?  Also, is the vinegar safe for color-treated hair?  
hey! I just solved this exact same problem today. Ten days back I realized the oil AT the crown area of my scalp was not going. I thought it was because of the hot and humid weather, but then I was washing my hair everyday and that too atleast 4 times (soap and shampoo) during every single bath. Well it suddenly came to me that it is not oil since oil can be easily dealt with soap or shampoo. It was waxy in nature. Wax does not dissolve in water and does not go away by using soap. So today I stood under hot water shower (so that it melts a little) then i applied CONDITIONER over it (since conditioner is waxy in nature too) I massaged the conditioner really well in that area for about 2-3 minutes (so that the wax gets dissolved in the conditioner) and then i washed it with a regular shampoo. And hey it was ALL GONE :) :) :)  
it has nothing to do with a regular excessive oiliness of the hair. The substance on my scalp is literally sticky to the touch straight after washing my hair many times. It can be sensed by touch even on wet hair, straight after washing it repeatedly. Tips about keeping clean are somewhat annoying, if not infuriating, for us with this weird problem.
I have had beautiful and thick hair all my life, I have never washed it too often (once in two. three days). The only variable I know of is that I am pregnant now, and judging from many other comments, the issue we are all experiencing has to be hormonal. Many girls get this sticky scalp after changing their p-pills, for example. I have never used any, btw.
It is NOT fat or greas, since those would dilute in soap products. It Is waxy in nature, this substance covering our hair. Maybe a doctor could help us by saying what type of waxy secretions are typical for human hair and why the prodyction of it can go through the roof so suddenly, and finally, what can dissolve/melt this, without being too aggresive (aggressive) for the skin?
All the constructive comments will be appreciated, we have a problem here and need help.
I had the same oily issue on the crown of my head after washing. I assumed I didn't get all of my shampoo/conditioner out. After the next day and being sure to get it all out, I still had the oily spot. Things in my life haven't changed much (same diet, same stress, same workout, same drugs, etc). After searching and reading a lot, I bought Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo. $13 at local drug store. After 1 wash, my hair is back to normal. No more sticky, oily hair. Thank you Paul Mitchell!! Best $13 I've spent in a long time. It's well worth it.
I'm in my late 40's and this has happened to me twice now just in the last year. I believe it to be a hormonal issue, I'm postmenopausal now for two years. Never had this happen to me before menopause. Like all of you, I've tried everything, but the oiliness doesn't go away right away. It usually lasts for a couple weeks or so and then out of nowhere, it just disappears. I'm going to try the palmolive and apple cider remedy. I'm just thankful it isn't anything serious, just frustrating.
I have long hair and this happens to me every now & then and I use Johnson & Johnson head to toe baby wash! I use it a couple of times alone with nothing else and it does the trick for me.
Hey guys! I'm experiencing the same problem and just like everyone else I've looked for a fix online and can't find anything. However, I tried using some Neutrogena gentle cleansing oil free facial wash on my hair (just as a last resort) and it seems to have taken the oil out! Hope this helps!
I use apple cider vinegar on the crown of my scalp every other day and that seems to help temporarily.  However, having a chemical treatment done to my hair makes it go away longer term.  I haven't had this problem in a year, and now it's back and frustrating!!!!
I'm 23 years old and this is the second time i have had oily scalp at the crown and it looks like i haven't showered in weeks!!! I'm glad to know i'm not the only one!!! The only thing i think it could be is i just started taking woman one a day energy pill and it's been around the time that i started taking that pill that this started up again! I'm going to stop taking it and see what happens. I also have increased my cardio so i am sweating a lot more and more often and maybe think that might have something to do with it too! Hopefully there's something that i can do to get it to go away cause as of right now i don't even want to go anywhere anymore with my hair like this!!!! I'm thinking of trying my daughters organic baby shampoo....
I am 20 years old and have been having this problem for about two weeks. Today I finally tried the johnson and johnson head to toe wash and it worked like a charm! My hair finally feels like hair and not this grease spot! Seriously try it before you strip your hair with dish soap! it was only my first day trying it, I do not think I will go back to my usual head & shoulders for about a week to make sure it is fully cleared up!
OMG! when i read your comment i realised i did the SAME! for a year or so.. and this Forum is AMAZING.. because i've been in this torture for years and nobody's been able to tell me what it was... :)
Thank u so much!

Does anyone that has this problem have short hair?
Hello everyone-i had this exact problem being described after having completely normal hair the rest of my life. I tried everything possible and finally went to my dermatologist who gave me ciclopirox shampoo 1% -its prescription, and i use that now-no conditioner and works!!! Thank G-d!! You have to wash your hair with it, leave it in for 3 mins and then wash out. If i switch to another shampoo, like if i go away and forget to bring it, i am in trouble as my hair goes back to its difficult disgusting self-i really hope this helps everyone as much as it helped me!!!!! I don't know if itll work for everyone-just rly wanted to tell you all abt it cuz i know what its like to have this problem and not know what to do or where to turn.
I had this problem too. It felt as if I had put a glob of gel in unwashed hair and then slept on it. I tried a few methods including the apple cider vinegar (does not work) and baby shampoo (sort of works, but not well). My hairdresser recommended Nioxin Scalp Recovery Shampoo and Conditioner. It took it out immediately, but I kept using it for about a month to make sure the problem had completely resolved.

I'm not sure what the cause of the oily patch was. I had just started graduate school, so it's quite plausibly stress related, but I also have a history of using box dye. Not sure what it was, but the sebaceous glands were obviously secreting too much oil. The Nioxin Scalp Recovery says it's for a "dry, itchy scalp", but apparently it brings the oil secretion of the sebaceous glands back into balance. Regardless, it worked and incredibly well. I highly recommend it.
Hello!

I never write on forums but I felt like I really had to this tis time. Like all of you, I experienced the same problem all of a sudden three days ago.The crown of my head got really oily and the oil would not come off no matter how much I scrubbed it with whatever shampoo. I was using the same shampoo, taking the same diet and was not going through any kind of stress. Instead of trying different things on my own, I immediately contacted my dad who is a GP. He asked me to immediately start using this medicated shampoo called "Nizoral" by Johnson & Johnson (Jenson in some countries). I only had to use the shampoo once to get rid of the oil.I will use the shampoo for another week and then slowly go back to my regular shampoo. All of you facing the same problem, please go and buy Nizoral. It treats fungal infections like Seborrhoic dermatitis which may cause excessive secretion of oils.

Cheers!

Naz.
To all you ladies out there who feel unclean or gross about the craziness that used to be your beautiful luscious locks:
BREAK THRU!!
I'm 33. Never had a problem with my hair. LOVE my hair, can't stand putting anything in it cuz I like to run my hands thru it. 2 weeks ago my hair had a heavy layer of greasy/ waxy buildup. I was crushed! My life has been hectic lately; so stressful, then to top it off I can't even feel pretty any more cuz of the crud growing on my head. Now, to cut to the chase. I'm not sure what did it but last night I sprinkled a little bit of baking soda on my crown and part and rubbed it into my scalp. Slept on it (it'll feel grainy til you wash it out). Next morning shower, used my L'Oreal go 360 clean face wash just on the top. Rinsed, shampooed again with a dollop of a different shampoo. Rinsed. Put conditioner on the tips. Rinsed thoroughly. Styled my hair with round brush and blow dryer.
Went to the gym (after months of no working out) and sweated out my stresses. Went online one last time to do a search, JACKPOT   http://www.livestrong.com/article/508334-how-to-decrease-sebum-on-the-scalp/#page=1
It says to not go harsher on the scalp, go gentler, ie baby shampoo. So I bought the travel sized orange original baby shampoo for $1.98 at the grocery store.

I still had to feel like I was trying!  So, at home in my second shower of the day. Baby shampoo, lathered up good and scrubbed my scalp. Rinse. Face scrub, rinse. Conditioner, rinse. Baby shampoo again, rinse. Conditioner on the tips, not all over...final rinse in Luke warm water to close the hair follicle. Lemme tell ya!! What an improvement!! My hair is so close to normal I can't believe it!! My next shower will be one round baby shampoo, one round conditioner.  GOOD LUCK!! I hope you all feel fabulous again!!
Just wanted to say thanks because this actually WORKED...finally!

First, I had a friend squirt the original, green Palmolive in my hair, all around the spot. Then she rubbed and scrubbed that in. Next, she added Target brand apple cider vinegar, followed by lemon juice. After rubbing that all in and letting it sit for about 15 minutes, I got in the shower. I mixed the Palmolive and Herbal Essences Drama Clean together and shampooed my entire head. Then I used Neutrogena T/Gel and shampooed. To finish, I used Pantene Beautiful Lengths conditioner and conditioned my whole head. Once all my hair was dry, all the oil/goo was finally gone!! :)
I HAVE THE SOLUTION!

this EXACT same thing happened to me a couple years ago. i searched the web and found a girl with the answer.
buy the original brown listerine ($4) and suave clarifying shampoo ($2). in your shower pour about 3 cap fulls of the listerine on the affected area. massage it in and let it sit for about 5 mins. repeat this step. then after you rinse out the listerine for the 2nd time, shampoo with the clarifying shampoo. rinse well.  you can shampoo again with your regular shampoo if you would like, but i didn't feel the need.
after the first time i did this my oily/waxy patch was about 80% gone. after the 2nd day's shower the residue was 100% completely gone. it's been almost 2 years, and i have not had anything return.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
Hi! My hair as well randomly created this oily residue, as if i dipped my hair in thick olive oil right after I showered, and there didn't seem to be any way to get rid of this.

Over a month ago for weeks and weeks I was loosing clumps of hair every morning, and I thought it was hormones or my body changing, but I noticed one person on here had the same issue..

Also I recently had a nasty sinus infection where another person on here had one as well which soon after they developed the greasy crown.

Just like many I went to the Pharmacist/doctor and explained my situation and he just stared at me like I was crazy, he had no idea what I was talking about...

I couldn't believe when I found this site how many other people (men and women) who experienced this same issue.

After reading EVERYONE'S comments, and writing down what seemed to be the most popular remedies I created my own little list and hoped for the best, and to my excitement my hair is back to normal!! It has only been a day, but if I can keep up these remedies by preventing the grease from coming back (if it comes back), then I'm happy with that, and it only cost me around $10! Yes I used many different remedies, so I don't know exactly what worked but all I know was that I wasn't going to take any chances, and it worked! WARNING, your significant other, friends or family may look at your weird while you create a science lab in your bathroom.

1) Washed my hair with baby shampoo, the amount I used was enough for one use, mixed in a small bowl with about a tablespoon and a half of baking soda. I gently massaged through my head, making sure I got every part of my scalp and all through my hair. Rinsed.

2) Poured 3 cap fulls of brown original flavor Listerine. I poured at the top of my forehead and let it leak down my head, the feeling was cold and tingly.. don't get it on your face, it kind of burns your eyelids even if you don't get it in your eyes.. it was an accident. I left in for about 3 mins.

3) Wash with a small amount of baby shampoo to get the mouthwash out.

4) Poured about 3-4 cap fulls (mouthwash cap size) of apple cider vinegar with a bit of water because in some of the comments it says to dilute it a bit. Leave in for 20 mins. I ringed out my hair, and put my hair in an old towel so I didn't have to sit bent over the tub for a long time staring at the wall. I made dinner in that time.. My husband thought I was crazy with vinegar hair.. *sigh*

5) I rinsed the vinegar out with just water because I didn't want to over wash my hair and was done the process for the night.

6) In the morning I repeated the shampoo, baking soda and Listerine steps in the shower. I don't know if I needed to do this, but like I said I wasn't taking any chances and I wanted to be totally sure it was gone. After I conditioned with Head and Shoulders for dry scalp, its the one with Zinc and Almond in it.. it was in my cupboard so I figured it should help = )

I know its a big process, but it was cheap and in reality only took less than an hour = ) it was worth it because I don't look and feel like a greasy monkey at work, I did buy medicated shampoo at the store, but I tried the home remedies first and I don't think I need it, goo thing I kept the receipt!  = ) hope this helps, and to all the other comments thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!
It's hormones. It has to be that. I have been following these posts,  and hormone changes, whether natural, as in menopause, peri-menopause, pharmeceutical or just plain age related; this all seems to be the common denominator. I tried the palmollive and listerine treatment a month ago.  Worked beautifully. It now is coming back, I think. I am beginning menopause, and using absolutely NONE of the products or drugs the rest of you are talking about.
Hello Lauren_94
My daughter who is soon to be 15 has been experiencing this same problem for a few days now. She showers, rinsing all the shampoo out and applying conditioner on just the ends and still had sticky, greasy hair. We tried what was suggested by quite a few people and used apple cider vinegar on the crown and let it sit for 10 min. Next I used Head and Shoulders to cleanse and V05 Clarifying conditioner to the tips. We blow dried her hair using a medium heat setting and it made a big improvement. I figured vinegar was a safe natural place to start. I hope this helps. It's a frustrating ordeal for her at such a young age
Your situation sounds exactly like mine! I started noticing some flaking right around my face area (temples and forehead where the hair starts), and decided to use some Head & Shoulders for a fix. I went to blow dry my hair and thought I must have not rinsed it good. Used it again the next day, rinsed, used volume shampoo on my crown for an extra cleanse and then hit it with a little conditioner. Still "sticky"!!! I just don't understand why it started AFTER I used Head & Shoulders that first time. Now I guess I'll try the other remedies on here.  
HI everyone.

I have been researching this problem for the past couple of days. I too found that after I washed my hair, it would still feel sticky and greasy. I was really confused because I felt like I had been paying extra attention to my hair and scalp lately. I tried to use natural shampoos and conditioners, as well as regularly use coconut oil treatments. I had even been experimenting using ACV and baking soda. I thought that there was no way that I could possibly "clarify" my hair any more.

However, since researching it, I think I found out what the problem is. Ive read that many people here have found this happened after they used a hair dye. Both Hair dye and baking soda are very alkaline (over 7 on the Ph scale) and they both open up the cuticle of the hair and raise the ph levels of your hair (which is usually around 4.5) After using a very alkaline substance, you are supposed to use an acidic one to bring your hairs levels back down.

What must have happened is that both the dye and the baking soda (or perhaps even very alkaline shampoos) have stripped away the sebum of our hair ( which is more acidic) which makes our hair unable to defend itself against bacteria or fungus etc.

THEN, because all the sebum was stripped away so forcefully, our scalp went into TOTAL overdrive mode and 'waxed' our hair in order to protect itself--making it appear oily.

The solution I suppose would be to restore our bodies (especially our scalps) natural PH levels. That is why people have been finding success with using vinegar and other acidic rinses. Beer I believe is almost the exact same level as our hair, but we may need something more acidic to counteract the high alkaline.

I am not a scientist ( by any means)  and I may have gotten something wrong, but this is the only reasonable explanation that I can come up with for this mess on my head. I sincerely hope this helps someone (or maybe someone can expand on it) because I have also been going crazy with this for ages.

good luck!
Hello!!

I had the same concern last week and about a month before. I found two solutions; Henna & Shikakai powder.  I used Henna last month, it washed the greasiness from my hair. But it was back last week again, I realized the reason for this is chemicals in the shampoos and conditioners. We need a organic or herbal way to deal with this. Shikakai powder is a traditional Indian function of shampoo. It cleanses the hair and scalp with out any chemicals    (absolutely no chemicals). I have decided to use Shikakai once a week to avoid relapse.

Hope this helps.
Hi everyone!

Was just experiencing this problem, and I gotta say it was pretty stressful! I read all the comments and thought I'd try a couple remedies out.

Just wanted to let you know that the Listerine trick worked wonders for me! I first thoroughly washed my hair with the Pantene Pro-V Aqua Light CLEANSE RINSE shampoo (silicone free - my friend had recommended me to try a Pantene shampoo- I believe she used their ICE cleansing shampoo which worked for her as she had gone through the same thing recently!), and then poured 3 caps full of Listerine on the area (mine was only on the left side, and on the top and crown of my head). I let it sit for a few minutes, washed it out, and then used the shampoo again and rinsed.

As soon as I got out of the shower, I could tell the difference! My hair looks 100% back to normal! It still feels a little waxy (well hardly at all compared to what it was like before), but I'm sure that will go away in one more wash or so.

Just wanted to confirm to you all that this worked for me!

Cheers
It really isn't dandruff. I'm using Head and Shoulders already, I have barely had any dandruff whatsoever and this is still happening to me. I'm sorry, but you missed the mark on this one.
It's such a huge relief to read through all these posts! About a week ago, I noticed that no matter how well I washed my hair, it felt kind of clumpy and greasy at the roots, even while I was washing the shampoo/conditioner out of my hair. To begin with, it was minimal and I guess I just assumed it was nothing, so I ignored it.

But this morning, I washed my hair, then dried it and straightened it and it's HORRIBLE!!! Someone else said it felt like hairspray on wet hair and that hits the nail on the head for me. I don't know if anyone else would notice it to look at me but it feels dreadful.

So, what has changed??

Well, I switched my pill from Loestrin 30 to Femodene about 3 months ago. At the end of the first second pill packet I had to go straight on to the next without a 7-day break and I am now due for my period in less than a week. I've also started getting spots all over my face and neck in the last two weeks, which has never happened before. So in all, I think it would make sense for it to be hormonal more than anything else, which kind of ***** because I have no idea what to do about that!!

I feel quite upset about it, really. I'm 29 and I had awful hair until I was 18, so it's like I had nice hair for 11 years and now it's all gone to hell!

My husband has picked me up some apple cider vinegar today and I have Johnson's Baby Shampoo already (good for make up brushes, dontcha know!)  so tomorrow morning I'll have a bash at washing it with both of those and report back.

Another thing I find interesting is how many people have said they were using Head and Shoulders when the problem started. I've used it for years but couldn't get hold of my usual one (Soft and Silky) so since just before this started, I've been using Classic Clean. Maybe that has something to do with it as well?

Will let you know how I get on but it's a big relief to know I'm not alone in this!!
I am so glad I found this post! For the past week I have had increasingly greasy hair at my crown, and it has been driving me CRAZY. I was so self conscious about it, and haven't been able to wear my hair down at all. Here is what I just did, after reading all of the comments, and my hair is CLEAN:

1) rinse hair with 1/2 c vinegar 1/3 c water mixture. let sit for a few minutes
2) shampoo with Neutrogena T/Sal (I couldn't find Nizoral, but I'm sure that works too) TWO times. I let it sit in my hair for 5 minutes each time.
3) shampoo with a clarifying shampoo from my local beauty supply store (it is specifically made to wash out product buildup).
4) I completely skipped any conditioner, even at the ends of my hair!! the last thing I wanted was to add moisture or oil.

I am very happy to say my hair is finally clean, and I think the culprit has been the increasingly hot weather (90+ degrees) and wearing my hair in a ponytail every day for the gym. Lesson learned! Let you hair breathe, people!
Okay ladies, I'm pleased to say that my hair has been nicely fixed this morning!

After my last post (2 days ago) I decided to wait a little before I washed my hair again, so I wouldn't risk causing problems through washing it too often.

This morning, I doused my hair in half a bottle of apple cider vinegar from Sainsburys. I wrapped my (stinking! I hate vinegar) hair in a towel and let it sit for half an hour. Then I washed my hair with Johnsons Baby Shampoo, then again with Australia Tea Tree shampoo. I even conditioned the ends of my hair.

When I washed out the baby shampoo, the clumpy, sticky, horribleness was gone. I used the tea tree one just in case, but I don't think it was really necessary.

I don't know whether it was the vinegar that did the job or whether it was the baby shampoo, but either way it worked and the vinegar made my hair REALLY soft!! I mean seriously super soft!! Don't waste money buying overpriced Redken/Tigi/etc shampoos any more. Just buy a few cheap bottles of cider vinegar! Haha!

Anyway, I don't know whether this is temporary or whether it's fixed long-term, but I'll let you know if it comes back. Just so you know, it's a REALLY bad idea to wash your hair with Listerine or washing up liquid so please don't do it! Try using the vinegar and baby shampoo first. Neither of those will strip your hair and they might just work as well for you as they have for me. :0)

Good luck!
UPDATE

The weirdness has not come back! Yay! Downside: I cannot get the smell of vinegar out of my hair! Three shampoos and two serums and I still smell like a chip shop. Eurgh! But at least my hair feels clean again.
Had the exact same problem, never ever get oily hair and all of a sudden, I could not understand why I have this sticky oily section of hair by the crown of my head. The only thing that has changed in my lifestyle is that I have come off the pill? Anyone else experienced this since coming of birth control? I used half a cap full of mouthwash on the specific area and reluctant as I was it seems to have worked!
Hi guys,

I was here in 2011 trying to figure out the solution to this problem and mystery symptom.

As explained, the oil from the scalp in mass amount penetrated and stuck to the hair at the crown, or where one would wear a yamaka. It is Almost impossible to get rid of. After many washes, both hot and cold water, clarifying shampoo by suave and original or brown listerine started to get the oil to come out and allow the hair to look, lay and feel semi normal again.

Sorry to say, but this is a symptom of a much bigger problem:

Hair loss. You can call it androgenic alopecia, female pattern, male pattern, TE, biotindase deficiency, zinc deficiency, iron deficiency, thyroid resulting in mother freaking HAIR LOSS!!!  This is a major symptom, or earlier symptom that you are on this roller coaster ride, the bar has locked down and there is no getting out, especially if you panic.

Within a couple years my hair melted, tangled, and clumped away. The texture begins to change, split ends won't go away, hair is very dry, scalp starts to feel differently all the time (painful, or itchy, etc), etc. You begin trying different products, natural products, try more protein, then heavy moisturing conditioners, leave in conditioners, hair systems for hair loss or thinning hair... Then the apple cider vinegar, ketoconazle, and onto the vitamins....if you get to the heavy duty anti androgen medication in time after all that, including giving up on doctors after the multiple trips to doctors office just for them to say that say your hair "looks fine" (Big **** you to the lazy, incompetent, selfish, money Hungary doctors out there; I promise that you will never pay off your students loans once people realize they are just cows for your checkbook and they stop going to your crappy wanna be office with ZERO experience with research on anything but the seven deadly sins,  I see you! )... Then you find yourself buying medications without prescriptions...perhaps you even start studying the axis of evil, hormons, adrenals, and how the body works. Maybe you buy yourself a microscope to learn the structure of hair and how to manipulate it... Then after all this hassle, let's not forget you have to keep up a life, or at least bring in income to support yourself, maybe a family, and all this new research time, equipment and materials.

You realize tap water has bad minerals which can stick to hair and clog the scalp, not unlike the ivory dome research. You change your water.

Within a year and a half 60% of your hair is gone. It has shriveled up, with no rhyme, no reason.....all those blood tests you could have had...but the health industry doesn't care about your hair. You could buy your own lab equipment and take your own tests.  Why don't we have community labs????

Knowledge is power and health, technically beauty, is everything.  

Good luck and be kind to one another. It is a journey too long to describe, yet very short for so many that will and have just quit and opted out in love and life over hair loss. The world is loosing great minds or at least great community members over this growing epidemic.  Let's hope shaved heads for BOTH sexes becomes the norm.

The time line for hair loss can be very fast. I realize spring 2010 I started the shedding....but it really became noticeable and hard to live with my hair in spring 2012, though throughout this time I would say there are cycles. Example: I had a lot of scalp pain but I could make my hair look semi ok still, though I was battling hair dryness and texture changes). Then again in spring of 2013 i had hard white shiny plaque and a severe back attack where i was unable to move at all for severe pain, and the in the summer time of 2013. It has been downhill since. I would say I am now unable to get away at all with my hair the way it is. No transplants, nothing short of either shaving it or buying a wig.

I guess that is why so many in Hollywood buy themselves boobs, Botox, and hair. Quite sad considering they are hypocrites and stand for the exact opposite of what they claim.  Take the make up off, take the greed off, remove the crap and be what you say you are and what you say you want to see.  Until then, **** you. You are not artists and you sure as **** don't care bout anyone but yourselves.

I cannot tell you the relief I felt when I found this forum and topic.  My hair started with this revolting condition around my crown about ten days ago.  Prior to that I have always had very dry hair.  Its still dry except for the crown and surrounding area.  I went to my hairdresser and she had no idea what to suggest except Google and thank God she did!

Just for info, I am 54yrs old, 8 years pits menopause and absolutely nothing has changed regarding my hair products, health, diet etc.

Anyway I am currently sitting with a head full of cider vinegar, its been on half an hour, I am about to wash it out with Tresseme Clarifying Shampoo followed by Johnsons Baby Shampoo.  I will report back shortly.
Oh my God, it has worked!  It was Tresemme Deep Cleansing shampoo I used first, left it on for 10 minutes.  Then I rinsed it off, added several drops of tea tree oil to Johnsons baby shampoo, applied it and left it on for half an hour, then rinsed well.

I just blow dried my hair and it is back to normal!!

The real test will be to see if it stays away.  In the meantime, I think I will continue using the baby shampoo/tea tree combination for a week or so just in case.

I will post again once I know whether this has shifted it for good.

Huge huge thanks to everyone who took the time to post on here about their own experiences, I was really getting quite low and despairing until I found this topic.
Hair still great today, I repeated the vinegar, baby shampoo+ tea tree oil just to be sure.  Fingers crossed its gone for good!
Wow, I am so glad I'm not the only one having this problem.

My "patch" of sap-like greasy hair started a little over a month ago. I thought I wasn't rinsing my conditioner thoroughly enough (I try to take quick showers). However, even after thorough rinses, it was still there. I could feel it as I was wrapping my hair after showering. Now, I do have mild psoriasis. I've had it for years, but it has never done this - ever. If anything, I've had dry flaky scalp problems, not grease.

The fungal infection idea makes sense for me. I think I know what caused it for me.

Over two months ago, I started exercising 6 days a week. Because of this, I went from washing my hair every two or three days, to every single day. Two weeks after changing my habits, everything went south. I'm thinking I've been massively over drying my scalp and hair and it has kicked the grease into overdrive, and I developed my patch. To make matters worse (likely), I've switched to cheaper shampoos and conditioners because I'm going through them faster. I just keep stripping and stripping my scalp and hair.

I have a question for others here - is your water softened? I ask this because I live in western Washington, and I do not have softened water. A few weeks ago, I went down to Utah to visit my parents, and they have softened water (almost over-softened). After 5 days and 5 showers, my hair was almost back to normal. After my first shower back home, however, it was back to the patch problem. :(  Moisture is definitely a key here.

I am going switch back to better quality shampoos, including T-gel. I will try to not wash my hair every day...but that's hard with all of the exercise. I would try the apple cider vinegar...but I *really* do not want to smell like vinegar.

Good luck everyone!
The vinegar smell completely disappears as soon as you shampoo your hair.  I am in Leeds, UK and out water is quite soft.
This same exact thing just recently happened to me. I would constantly wash it but nothing would happen. Finally I found a SOLUTION. Put baby powder in the affected areas of your hair and let it sit overnight. Have a normal shower the next day and once it's dry you should notice a difference! I hope it helps you just as much as it helped me!
Kisses -A
Okay, so same as everyone else oily, waxy thick build up at the crown of my head.  It just appeared out of no where...leaving me stressed out.  

My solution was a mixture of water and apple cider vinegar...50/50 solution.  I used a spray bottle to apply to my entire head and left it on for about 20 minutes, then washed it as normal.  Still only using conditioner on the bottom half of my hair.  Wasn't too sure it would work.  Well, it worked amazingly...soft, oil free hair!

Next time I am going to shampoo and condition as normal.  If you normally use lots of product in your hair, it is advised to do the vinegar rinse once a week.  Good luck!