Sudden outbreak of skin tags on genitals.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

About a month ago I noticed some small bumps around my genitals that I thought were skin tags. After more appeared I was worried I had genital warts. I've been to the gynecologist and my biopsy results came back as benign skin tags. She specifically said I do not have HPV. My question is: is there anything that could cause someone with no previous problems with skin tags to break out in a group of them down there? There are a few at the top of my Mons Pubis, one on my clitoral hood, but the rest (and a decent amount) are around my anus. There was one more in the area between my vagina and anus. The only thing I could think of that had changed recently is two months ago I started taking birth control again.

At the end of 2007 I started taking Ortho-Tri-Cyclen LO. I had no problems with it, no skin growths. I was on it for a year and due to insurance issues stopped taking it for the year after. That whole year I was NOT on the pill I only had a period once or twice. When I saw the gynecologist two months ago she did not express concern with that detail and gave me a prescription for that same birth control pill. I have been taking it for two months now and my periods have been normal.

My other question is: Is Aldara the best way to remove them? My gynecologist told me to use it when I insisted I wanted these removed. She gave me instructions to use the cream 3 times a week for 16 weeks. Should these be treated like genital warts if they are not? They skin tags are thin enough that I can pinch them off with my fingernails. Will this cream be a problem to apply due to how small they are? Is Aldara safe to use around the anus, where most of my tags are?

I realize that these are simple questions I could have asked my gynecologist but when she called with my biopsy results she seemed in a hurry. She told me to get my samples of Aldara from the girls at the desk so I could not ask her when I picked the Aldara samples up.

Any information would be helpful. They are not causing any problems besides how ugly I think they are. I also don't want future boyfriends looking down there and thinking I have something bad!
Skin tags are benign skin growth and is found due to friction rub or hormonal changes in the body. The treatment options include removing with scissors by a doctor, freezing (using liquid nitrogen), burning (using medical electric cautery) and laser removal.
My sincere advice is to consult a dermatologist and discuss these with him.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.