Sudden rash after drinking Orange Juice

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sudden rash after drinking Orange Juice

3792309?1229796188
My 5yr old daughter has been getting rashes on her upper lip after drinking Gatorade and some other Fruit Juices.  This morning she took one drink out of a plastic bottle of Minute Maid "Original" Orange Juice and a rash formed on her upper lip.  A few days after she was born, she was covered with eczema, but after a few weeks, we had it under control and didn't have any further problems with her skin.  She usually drinks water or juice, and very rarely has a bit of soda with dinner (usually at a restaurant).  As with most kids, when drinking out of a bottle with a large opening, they tend to get some excess liquid on their upper lip, so I'm always trying to pay attention to her so that she wipes her mouth after every drink (along with trying to teach her the proper way to drink from those containers 8^)  ).  I was wondering if there was a common ingredient in these beverages that causes this type of rash, so that we can avoid them in the future.  Also, what's the best remedy to use for healing this type of rash? Calamine? They usually go away in a few days, and do not itch or burn her or cause her any kind of discomfort.

Thanks,
Demanti
Single Dad.

Without examination,I cannot confirm a diagnosis but it can be due to contact dermatitis,allergies to foods,atopic dermatitis or due to perioral dermatitis.

"Atopic" refers to a group of diseases where there is often an inherited tendency to develop other allergic conditions.In perioral dermatitis there are usually small red bumps or pus bumps, and mild peeling. The cause of perioral dermatitis is unknown. But some dermatologists believe it is a form of rosacea or sunlight-worsened seborrheic dermatitis.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can give some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin if the rashes itch.Sever cases may require oral or topical steroids .I would advise you to consult a dermatologist in that case as none of the medicines should be given in young patients over the counter.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.
It took me to adulthood to find out why I was getting rashes from drinking orange juice, any juice, kool aid, apples, grapes, watermelon, and sometimes tea and other foods.  My life have been miserable because of it.  I have managed to keep away from acidic foods which has been hard but I didn't want the rash to discolor my skin.  The cremes that the Dr. mention have helped me tremendously and I live with Benadryl.  Please read labels for certain acids.   At least you caught the problem early for your daughter.  Keep her beautiful.