Suddenly, hives all over body.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Suddenly, hives all over body.

Woke up two days ago with an entire body rash that is similar to hives. The night before I had been experiencing sinus pressure, running nose,  and a "lump" in my throat. Rash appears splotchy, bright red in some areas, lighter colored on face, hands, and forearms. When pressure is applied, rash briefly turns white

Hadn't changed much recently. The night before the rash set in, I had taken 60 ml of Nyquil to ease throat "lump"/sinus pressure. The day before all this started I got my septum pierced, but had also been sleeping with a 100% cotton blanket for a couple of days prior that kept leaving all sorts of fibers all over my clothes. I had also recently washed a load of clothes with a cap full of generic brand pine-sol in the load, which I've done for a few years now and never had a problem.

Visited a GP, was prescribed a zpak (taken all at once) and 40 10mg prednisone tablets (4 for 3 days, 3 for 3 days, 2 for 3 days, 1 for 3 days). What could this be?
Tags: hives, rash, lump, Nyquil, pinesol, blanket, prednisone, zpak, azythromicin
Such a rash which appears and disappears is hives. The most likely triggers for acute urticaria (hives) are allergies, allergies to medicines,Viral infections, , dental and sinus infections, fungal infections, blood transfusions and vaccines. But sometimes hives may be idiopathic.
The standard treatment of hives is oral antihistaminics and topical steroids. Oral antihistaminics relieve itching and you can get them over the counter but some of them may cause drowsiness, hence it should be taken under a medical guidance. Topical steroids and oral steroids are available by prescription from a dermatologist which you already have been prescribed.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hives are usually a systemic reaction to a substance that your body can no longer tolerate.  It may be a food, fabric, or a med that you have been using for years without any side affects.  Mine was diet coke.  My body just said enough to the Aspartame.  Aspartame by the way is a deadly toxin.  Read about it here:  http://www.aim4health.com/nutrasweet.htm .  Since I quit drinking any diet sodas my hives are gone but I am left being sensitive to other things as well so I have to watch everything I eat, drink, and wear until my body settles down.  Eat organic, wash with organic soaps, use chemical free laundry soaps and the like and stay away from aspartamed, color dyed soda drinks and things will improve for you.