Suddenly greasy hair

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Suddenly greasy hair

I have seen so many responses to this same problem, surely someone would have a solution already.
1 week ago I washed my hair to find it still greasy on the top, never happened before.
My hair dresser also suggested checking hormone levels, which Ihave done and they have come back as normal
Please let me know if anyone has found a solution.

This discussion is related to suddenly oily hair that won't correct.
I suspect you are dealing with something autoimmune.  It does seem odd.  There are autoimmune issues related to follicles. The first poster commented on having perioral dermatitis & rosacea both of which are follicle disorders & probably autoimmune.

A couple of posters commented on having used epoxy spray paint or having paint / stain exposures.  I think the harmful component in those is the same as the harmful component in carpet cleaning.  So avoid BUTYL or 2-butoxyethanol.  Gamma globulin is given as a help to those with sudden onset Kawasaki disease, and I found that it also helps for autoimmune action on platelets (which is similar autoimmune action as that against the red blood cells).  So avoid this chemical & maybe symptoms will subside or back off.

I found some info on Seborrhea of the Scalp.  "Sebum is the oily substance secreted by sebaceous glands in the skin. This "skin oil" has a protective function of keeping skin from losing moisture and becoming excessively dry, and providing a layer of defense against potentially infectious micro-organisms. Seborrhea is the medical term for excessive production of sebum,"

"Because the largest sebaceous glands are on the face, scalp and groin, these areas are subject to become excessively oily due to seborrhea. All sebaceous glands distribute sebum through a connection to hair follicles, making sebaceous glands and hair follicles the functional units for dispensing sebum to the surface of the skin. The anatomical proximity of sebaceous glands and hair follicles explains why oily skin and oily hair usually occur together in seborrhea."
ugh i have the exact same problem. it cant be menopause cuz im only 18 i guess it could be stress cuz im still in high school but im making straight A's and not trying that hard at all....i hate this i used a clarifying shampoo today and still my hair is the same! all of a sudden this happened and has for a week. idk what to do
The answer is Herbal Essences Drama Clean!!!! I had the exact same problem when I used Loreal Vive Pro Hydra Gloss Shampoo, and then no other shampoo could clean my hair, but Herbal Essence really worked!
jamo, I'm going to try that.

I'm dealing with the same problem.  Starting a couple weeks ago, the hair on top of my head became sticky, seperating into clumps and totally impossible to style.  I shampoo every day and hadn't changed products.  I've since tried every combination I can think of of different shampoos and conditioners, shampoo only (no conditioner), shampooing 2-3 times in one shower - nothing works.  It feels like I have hairspray in my hair that was wet, and when dried has a ton of build-up.

I wanted to add that I'm undergoing fertility treatments.  This initially presented a few weeks ago, when I was on the pill for the first time in about 15 years - put on for one cycle to control its timing.  Since then I've been on hormone shots.  I'm thinking that's the culprit - hormonal imbalance.  I really need a solution though.
I have had the exact same thing everyone is describing for about a week now, my hair was progressively getting nastier and nastier. I decided yesterday to scrub my hair really good with 2 different shampoos and rinse really really really good. When I got out of the shower my hair was 10 times worse than before. I figured that if my scalp was producing excess oil for some reason I was going to give it a reason to stop! I re-wet my hair and loaded a TON of conditioner into my hair, making sure I really got it on the gross spots and then I combed it through my hair in a whole bunch of directions to make sure it got everywhere. I put saran wrap on my head and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then I rinsed really good, no shamoo or anything else though. I swear to God my hair is totally back to normal!!! That was yesterday, this morning I washed my hair with baby shampoo and conditioned it again, putting in a regular amount but making sure to get the crown of my head which is an area I normally avoid because my hair is so fine. It is over 12 hours later and my hair does not have a bit of waxy or greasy feeling to it! I know this sounds totally counter intuitive, but at least give it a try, you've got nothing to lose except icky hair!!!! Let me know if this works!!!!!!!!
Hi, everyone -

I thought I'd post because I, too, woke up one morning with very greasy hair on the crown of my head. It began about three weeks ago. I'd shower, and my hair would just be greasier at the crown than before! I've never had greasy hair and hadn't changed my shampoo in a long time.

I tried EVERYTHING. The hair at the top of my head made it look like I hadn't showered in days! So, I went online and hunted until I found a remedy that the majority of people said worked.

LISTERINE! Odd-sounding, I know. I found a forum where women posted, having the same problem. What has worked for all of us has been to purchase Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo and original Listerine.
Wash your hair with the Suave and rinse. Then pour three to four capfulls of the original (the brown one) Listerine on the affected area. Some women reported having to do it twice, but the first time their hair was 90% better.

My hair is now perfectly balanced, soft and healthy looking. It feels back to normal and better! NO.MORE.GREASE.

I'm so relieved, and I really hope this works for the rest of you, too :)
Same thing happened to me: nice hair all my life, not oily or dry, then one day I got out of the shower and the top of my head was greasy to the point where my hair was literally in clumps! I tried shampooing multiple times, conditioning, scrubbing, you name it..

After searching all over the web, I found this website and found the remedy Owlingbird posted (it's also posted on a few other threads on this site). Its truly amazing that no doctors have addressed this issue and that this was the one and only place I saw any solutions.

Desperate, I went out and bought Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo and the original brown Listerine. (I actually used the generic version of it made by Kroger, which had all the same ingredients but for cheaper.)

Came home, shampooed twice, then poured 3 capfuls of the Listerine over the spot - did not use conditioner. The oiliness was 75% gone! I repeated the process the next day but conditioned at the end. It WORKED!! I went back to my normal shampoo the third day (Pantene) and 2 weeks later it hasn't returned!!!

If any of you have this problem, I HIGHLY recommend this remedy. I was doubtful at first (I don't usually try home remedies), but its made me a believer!  :)
I was a skeptic, but the Listerine solution works! I bought the generic brown Listerine and a basic cleansing shampoo. I have a ton of hair, so after shampooing thoroughly I rinsed my head with about 6 capfuls of Listerine and did not condition. I have a slight Listerine smell to my hair, but it definitely worked!!! The greasy spot at the roots of my hair is still gone after two days.
Thank goodness I found this forum. I have been experiencing this disgusting greasy hair problem for two whole months now.
Its so strange and I dont understand how it happened. I have always had normal balanced hair. I only use professional salon brand shampoos and conditioner and I have tried switiching brands, rinsing extra well, skipping conditioing and it just wont go away.
Its a large area at the back of my head more to the right side. its gross and thick and greasy and feel wet and looks terrible.
I was in tears today it felt so disgusting. I was ready to hack my own hair off.
I am going to buy the sauve and the listerine tommorow.
Fingers crossed it will work for me also.
Keep me posted out there if anyone can find the true cause.
WOW!  Who knew googling "greasy patch on crown of head" would reveal so many women experiencing the same thing as me!  This is a real phenomenon - sudden onset, crown of head only, washing with shampoo totally ineffective.  Thank you SO MUCH for the cure!  I was going NUTS and after finding this forum, mixed listerine (the blue kind works great) with some baking soda to make a watery paste, massaged it into the problem area, left it on for about half an hour and then washed with clarifying shampoo.  This was 3 days ago, and my hair is back to its beautiful, oil-free shine - even better than before, actually.  By the way, ladies, I'm pretty sure this is hormone realted.  We all go through bursts of hormones, but I'm 9 weeks pregnant, and so many comments on these boards have mentioned birth control changes, pregnancy, preimenopause, etc.
So it wasn't an alien that came down and licked the top of my head in the middle of the night.

The same thing happened to me last Sunday I've washed it loads of times and its still oily by Wednesday.

One thing I've noticed from this page is that everyone is talking about it happening to them in the last week or two so maybe that means it only lasts a couple of weeks and once it washed out they never came back here to update us.

:(

:(
Ive
ive
Same thing on my head.  It's been going on for over a month and I was about to call my doctor because I was worried this was related to something... I am going to try a variety of these methods (washing with a grease cutting dish soap, applying brown listerine) and hopefully it will work.  I am a nursing mom - have been nursing for almost 9 months.  Maybe hormone related?  Just sick of the grease and ready to have my normal hair back.  Thank you for all the suggestions!
Glad I googled to find a remedy for my suddenly greasy spot in just one section of my hair.  Cannot believe so many women having the same problem.  I have really long fine hair, and this greasy spot was just to the right of my part and would not go away.  I had used Pantene for years, im 42 years old.  I'm torn between the cause being hormonal or it being a result of the chemicals Pantene puts in their shampoos and conditioner.  I tried the clarifying shampoo with the brown Listerine.  I was skeptical, but oh my god, it really does work.  One use and was pretty much back to normal.  Didnt wash my hair for 2 days, and then repeated with the Listerine and clarifying shampoo.  Very happy!
just to be clear before i go ahead and try this:
do you put the listerine on in the shower and then rinse it out?
(and, if so, do you massage it right into the hair and scalp?)
or do you put the listerine on after you get out of the shower and just leave it in?
I FOUND A SOLUTION!!!!
i had the same problem. Sudden appearance of greasy oily hair on the crown area.. And no matter how much i tried washing it and with 4 different types of shampoos, it would not go. i had this once a year ago, i washed it with Johnson's shampoo and it went. However, this time when the greasiness appeared i tried Johnson's shampoo and it dint help. I put egg white on my hair and some of the greasiness went and some still remained. then i decided to try one last thing and then give up. I used henna mixed with beetroot juice and black tea. I used to use this earlier to color my hair. i thought i could help this time because henna dries your hair. I put it on, left it for 4-5 hours. washed it with water alone and no shampoo. After i dried my hair with fingers crossed, to my surprise the grease was completely gone! My hair was entirely clean and soft and shiny as usual! I dint want to shampoo my hair the next day out of fear. So, 2 days later i shampooed it with Johnson's shampoo and did not use any conditioner. My hair is still clean and clear. I am so thankful that the problem went away. I still dnt know wat caused it. Although i think it could be over sweating that might have caused the scalp to become oily since I've been livin in a very hot country for a month with temperatures that go upto 44 degree Celsius. Anyway, it is just an assumption. i understand what you all must be going through because i felt the same for 2 weeks. So, when i found my solution, i thought i must tell you all to try. all the best and I hope it helps everyone!
hm... I thought I'll post too.
Woke up with sudden greasy hair. Desperately washed my hair everyday. Grease was there before wash, it wasn't there during wash, but came back RIGHT AFTER WASH.
Really embarrasing moments going to work. Hair appeared so dirty and grimy. Combing the hair was an ordeal. The grease and hair condition just got nastier! Was soooooooooooooooooooo desperate!
Then thanks to all the awesome ppl on this forum who shared the remedy.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! LISTERINE!!!! I bought a common clear shampoo...and ORIGINAL LISTERINE! washed thrice consecutively across 3 days across affected areas (made sure I flipped my hair here and there, ALL GREASE GONE.
It's been 3 weeks now.
NO PROBLEMO!!!!
Another solution that worked for me....I believe it was also posted on here somewhere....was a combination of original Palmolive (dish detergent), apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. I combined a little of each and made a sort of paste and applied it to my crown. Make sure to really lather it in. Then let it sit for 10-15 minutes before you rinse it out.....no conditioner. This helped my hair with one wash. It's been a week now and no problems whatsoever. Yay!!!
I too have had the same problem for the past three years. Like everyone I tried everything. I was using Pantene when it started, changed shampoos, tried dish soap, changed my diet, tried vitamins etc...   I don't take any medications so I don't think its a reaction to meds.  One day it just stopped and my hair was back to normal. I thought it was over but every three months or so it comes back and last for a couple of weeks then stops. My hair is doing it again but the spot seems to be getting larger. I am to the point where I have to wear my hair pulled back. I havn't tried the Listerine yet but I'll let you know the outcome. I hope it works.
Thanks to your Listerine advice, my hair became normal but that was like in February 2011. And now it's November and my greasy hair is back for no certain reason. And I am going to try the brow color Listerine instead. Inshallah, it will work for me too. And thanks to all of you other ladies for this updating info.
T-gel shampoo worked for me this morning. The oily spot is completely gone. I'm not sure what will happen when I don't use it because it is too harsh to use everyday. I would like to know why this happens but for now I found something that takes the oil out. T-gel is made by neutrogena and contains coal tar extract.
I'm 47 and this just started out of no where.  I've read this blog and I don't know if it means anything but almost everyone seems to be using Pantene.  I also alternate the Pantene with Head & Shoulders.   I don't know what to do.  Toward the end of this thread, everyone seems to be saying Listerine works, but I can't find where anyone actually says what kind of Listerine or how to use it.  

Has anyone tried this and does it really work.  Desperate
I too have the same problem... My doctor stated either hormonal change (although I am only 36) or hyperthyroidism.  I'm going to try Listerine tomorrow.  I just wanted to add that I too have been using Pantene for years ... Interesting commonality.  
It worked! The clarifying shampoo and Listerine worked! I had to do it two days in a row but my hair is back to its glorious shiny self!!
I an so glad I found this forum!!! I have been going through hell and back trying to work out what was wrong! Going to get listerene tomorrow, I so hope it works for me! Does anyone know if this will help my skin as I habr terribly oily skin on my neck and back and I'm 31!!!
I am so worried about this problem.. I checked some of the posts. it seems stress is a common factor and the age group too. I am going to try Listerine and see the results.
Alot of shampoos contain way to many moisturizers and they also strip the hair of natural oils. Wash your hair in warm or cold water, but make sure you definitely rinse in cold. Also, you could have had an allergic reaction to the shampoo. I sometimes have this problem when I use too much conditioner or too much spray, it dries out the scalp and your scalp overproduces oil. Also massage the top of your scalp when you wash your hair

Mrsburmo get clean and clear acne control face wash in a silver and purple container. It will kill whatever acne you have.
I am online researching the sudden increase of oily hair myself. I do believe it is related to hormone levels. I am currently 8 months pregnant and should be experiencing lush thick locks but it has been just the opposite. I have been losing tons of hair and now recently it is constantly greasy. I have never had this problem before in my life and I am convinced that its due to hormone flux.
I had the same greasy spot issue - just 4 days ago! I am thinking hormonal change as I just got off the pill 1 month ago - and i'm 25 years old... This is my story...I took a shower one evening, and when i was drying my hair, i noticed a spot near the front of my scalp felt a little different than usual; so i jumped back in the shower thinking i somehow didn't rinse it all out (even though i've been washing my hair the same for the last 24 years!) when I got out the second time - it was the same feeling - as if it wasn't clean. The following moring before going to work - the same spot of hair felt like i had dumped it in a pail of grease! I had no idea what was going on with that one spot on my head!?? so i came into work (pony tail that day!) and googled all of a sudden greasy hair... wow surprised there were other people that had the same problem. I went home that night and used a cleansing shampoo and rinsed my hair with listerine (blue), next night regular conditioner.. and the 3rd night listerine again.. just to make sure!! My hair seems to be back to normal since!! SUPER HAPPY TO HAVE FOUND THIS SITE!!
I can't find the original post of the person that came up with this, but I'd love to be able to and thank them for it.  I suddenly had a VERY oil scalp and couldn't even get my hair dry after shampooing and it was already oily.  I tried the Suave Clarifying shampoo/Listerine concoction and it worked like magic!  Never mind that my hair smelled a little like Listerine, I had my nice soft, shiny hair back.
I felt CRAZY when I woke up one morning about five days ago, took a shower, dried my hair, and my hair was STILL greasy.  This lasted for days. I looked online and saw that stress levels, hormones, over-washing could all be factors contributing to this.  I was stressed, but not any more than usual, and simply could not explain why my hair was greasy/sticky.  
I tried taking the advice of not washing to see if my hair could "re-coop" the ends were softer, but my hair definitely looked disgusting.
My boyfriend and I even started to wonder if I was pregnant and had a sudden rush of hormones!
After reading a lot of these posts, today I bought ORIGINAL LISTERINE and SUAVE CLARIFYING SHAMPOO.  
- step one: wash with clarifying shampoo -- scrub the heck outta the scalp!
- step two: rinse, repeat
-step three: pour a few capfuls of Listerine on scalp. Massage in and scrub!
- step four: wash once more with clarifying shampoo.
Voila!!! My hair is back to its shiny, soft goodness!  Phew. (also, I'm not pregnant!)

** a note: I'd gotten my hair cut at my usual hairdresser last Friday -- just a few days before the "problem" started.  I think that I might have picked up a bacteria or fungus there. This might explain why Listerine (an antiseptic) was an effective cure!
I too am nursing... my little one is almost 10 months old... and about a month ago i had the sam thing happen to me... I have never had any problems with oily skin or hair then all of a sudden out of nowhere my skin and hair started getting SO oily. EW!!!
Maybe its hormone related?
Just wondering... have you started back up with your cycles yet? I haven't and I wonder if it is something hormonal related to that.
Here is my story and info.
I am 43 years old.
Same stress (if not less)
No change in vitamins
On BC pills
No hormone pill change
Started period last Sat
Been visiting the pool and being outside in a new hot climate
Been sweating excessively
Decided to deep condition my hair with Herbal Essences prior to coloring it in a few days
Am totally gray
Tuesday and Wednesday  I deep condition
Thursday the greasy patch arrives
Friday numerous washing with head and shoulders, adding cornstarch to my dry hair, blowing it (cornstarch out) does NOT work

Read the comments here and I had a clarifying shampoo from a hotel I stayed in so I washed once, it barely suds because it was eating the grease. Then covered my hair for 5 minutes with 3 caps of listerine (whitening - purple bottle - only listerine I had) and 3 capes of green scope outlast.  It tingled. Rinsed my hair with lukewarm water and dried it. BIG difference, say 90% gone. However the more I styled it touching the scalp the worse it became.
Got suave clarifying shampoo an the "brown" generic listerine at the dollar store, and used suave that night with the mouthwash. About 95% gone.
This morning I woke up and my hair feels almost totally back to normal, actually feels like a normal day after washing. So it would appear the excess oil is slowing down.

I can add that I used to swim in a chlorine pool and now I swim in a salt pool, I personally believe the over sweating from the being in the sun so much this year, caused an excessive of oil, plus where the oily hair patch is is where my hair forms a cowl lick and the most scalp is exposed. I also have been playing with my hair and using a wide tooth comb on my hair which I never used to do - that I have stopped, back to finger styling. I personally believe I overstimulated my scalp.

You brush your hair to make it look nice, and also distribute oil from scalp through your hair. Another reason you massage your scalp.

Good luck to all. I plan on continuing the suave clarifying shampoo. My hair looks better than it has in a year and it is more full and shiny and soft. I am also going to add the vinegar to a wash to be sure.

I can also say this was the most horrible upsetting experience. When my boyfriend ran his fingers through my hair I was so embarassed, being the man he is, he never mentioned it, but he did ask what was wrong as he noticed my discomfort when he touched my hair, which is something he often does and it never bothered me til the grease appeared. I had to put my hair in a ponytail to go out both days.  

I cant afford to go to a dermatologist so I must try home remedies I can. Hopefully someone will post the real issue for this here as I am sure, I only exasperated a situation that was there otherwise.

Good luck to all
I'm shocked out how many people are having the same problem. I noticed mine on Friday. Washed hair and let dry naturally. When it was drying noticed it felt heavy when touched it, sticky and waxy leaves my fingers feeling sticky and coated. I kept it up in a bun didn't look bad up so didn't do anything until today.
Washed it twice with Head and shoulders anti dandruff for women. Felt terrible. Washed it again with same shampoo, felt worse. Thought maybe faulty batch. Used my husbands Head and shoulders anti dandruff for men. As soon as I put it on felt like it wasn't lathering up just big chunk of hair. Tried the mint Head and shoulders. (Forget what it's called) Even worse.
Stopped trying to wash, looked it up on line, found this forum.
Back in the shower, baby shampoo. Not lathering, no worse but no better.
No Listerine in the house, no antibacterial anything, no suave (don't even know what it is). Feeling completely loony, hysterical by now! Amazing how waxy hair can alter ones mental state. Spotted the Dove bar soap. Grabbed it up and lathered just the crown of head where most of the wax is based though it had spread a little with all the washing. Rinsed it out. Some of the Dove must have reached everywhere else because my hair is now beautiful and clean and light. Scalp very dry and sore though. Skin of hands and arms dry, sore and itchy. Still anything better than horrible waxy hair.

I am never using Head and Shoulders again. Though I've used it for 15 years with no problems, I think they've changed their formula. Unless I see that over the next few days it gets like this again, I'm using baby shampoo. Although I do suffer from dandruff so a little worried about that.

I can't explain why my husbands hair is okay while he uses head and shoulders. His hair is short. He washes it only once a week. (It's a sore point, don't ask) That shouldn't really make a difference.

If it's a fungal infection my girls should have it too as we use the same hair products, brushes, combs, accessories. They don't have it and they don't use Head and Shoulders. They use Loreal Elvive. I'll watch their hair as well and keep you posted.
If it's hormones, why have I never experienced this before? I'm nursing an 11 month old but I've done that before twice.
Background: I'm 24, live in a very dry Las Vegas where the average temperature here is over 100 F. I've had very long, straight, fine hair for my entire life. I shampoo every other day, and I never condition in the shower but use a spray leave-in condition while the hair is wet to avoid oiliness and weighing down my hair. I don't use any other products on my hair, and I never blow-dry, curl, or straighten my hair. No hair dyes. I'm nearly the laziest person with my hair you'll ever see -- just a wash, light condition spray, and air dry (with how dry the climate is, it'll air dry in 20 minutes).

Beginning Sunday, I have had the strangest waxy oil on the top of my head. I had taken a shower that evening and towel-dried my hair only to realize an hour later that the top of my hair felt like I hadn't showered in a week. Very gross, but I just assumed I forgot to rinse my hair well. I immediately took a second shower using a different shampoo; same result. I was instantly worried -- did I get something in my hair? Was there something wrong with it?

Since then I've taken a shower nightly with the same result. 3 different shampoos (all of which have worked for me in the past few months for ordinary hair oil) and same results. It's as if the shampoo isn't strong enough to cut through whatever I have on my hair. I've had to use a powder dry shampoo to make my hair look passable for work.

No one online seems to know what causes this, though it's vaguely suspected to be either a hair fungus or hormonal imbalance (the default answer to any female problem we don't understand).

I'm going to have to try tea tree shampoo, if I can find one (they're intentionally used to break down grease), but the running working home remedy seems to be using a clarifying shampoo of some kind (Suave happens to be a very inexpensive American brand) and then pouring a few capfuls of the mouthwash Listerine (original, brownish color) on the hair for 3 minutes before rinsing out. There are also suggestions of letting vinegar soak in your hair, or washing with certain dish soaps or hand soap bars, but the same goal is to break down the waxy buildup.

It's surprising how AWFUL it feels to have healthy hair all your life and suddenly, inexplicably be unable to go outside because you look as if you haven't showered in a week.
PS:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/suddenly-oily-hair-that-wont-correct/show/441225

This particular thread seems to think it's a Pantene or Proctor & Gamble-related issue (they make Head and Shoulders), but I don't use P&G hair products often. Redken All Soft Shampoo (L'Oreal) and Suave Humectant Moisture Shampoo (Unilever) are the ones I alternate with.

I've missed a few birth control pills and I could feel cramps coming in a week early, so it's possible it's a vague hormonal imbalance, but that isn't anything I'd have thought would cause this. IF it persists even after getting rid of the initial waxy grease, it could be something more serious -- some women have experienced this as a side effect of hormonal imbalances caused by serious medical conditions. If it keeps returning, I would start with a hair stylist, dermatologist, and then a doctor.
My "bad spot" was right at the hairline of my bangs. I was using Tresseme shampoo/conditioner when this appeared. It appeared suddenly, and no matter what I did it seemed to get worse and it was spreading to the back of my head along the crown.  I am on HRT (hormone replacement therapy), but I have been for about ten years, and my meds haven't changed recently.  I switched shampoos, I tried shampooing multiple times, skipping the conditioner, I even used my husbands 2-in-1 man shampoo!   Then I search the 'net and found this forum. I tried the Suave daily cleansing shampoo and I bought the store brans equivalent of the original (brown) Listerine.  I shampooed twice - really scrubbing the affected area, then poured three capfuls of the mouth rinse. I did not use conditioner after this.  Like most of the other people who posted, I would say my hair is now about 90% back to normal, but I am confident that after one more application it will be back to normal!  :-)  

I do want to caution people about that mouth rinse, though.   Due to the location of my "bad spot" some of the mouth rinse got onto my face. This burns/tingles just like when you use it to rinse your teeth.  I very easily could have got some in my eyes which would have been awful, so please be careful!!!
Well, we're all sounding like a broken record. Same thing here. Blow drying my hair one day, and wham...greasy looking, but waxy and sticky hair on my crown. It has been at least a month & a half. Was using pantene 'smooth' shampoo & conditioner for years, and recently alternating with head & shoulders.  Also use Pantene Pro reshaping extra hold hairspray.  Also use 'L'Oreal Ombrelle spf 60 Face Ultra Light Cream/sunscreen.  I may have gotten it in my hair as I put my cream on first, wipe my hands then blow dry my hair. It has a gummy waxy residue feel to it, and the waxiness in my hair feels similar.  I've even gone as far as to wonder if it perhaps is being absorbed into my pores and seeping back out through my scalp.  I want my hair back!!! I'm going mad!  I do not think I was abducted by aliens YET.

My hair is very long to the small of my back.  I thought maybe the weight was drawing out extra oil on my scalp?  I tried switching shampoos 3X..no go. Tried Neutrogena anti residue shampoo..did not work. Tried Neutrogena anti residue shampoo with original Listerine..did not work.  Next I'm trying 'Avalon Organics Clarifying Shampoo' recommended by cosmetician and purchased at London Drugs.  Will keep you posted.  

Had surgery about 5 months ago, had cyst on ovary removed and they removed both my fallopian tubes to fix me. I'm really pissed about that. My gynecologist told me that's how they fix women now a days to reduce their risk of getting ovarian cancer. Then found out after the fact that its quite controversial and may increase risk of heart attack instead. Really pissed that she did not go over pros and cons with me and just told me that's how they do it now.  Also found out this is a trend that only started in 2010 so no known long term effects are even known. I'm so upset and worry now that this could be causing my problem. Also during this surgery, was told I had an enlarged uterus, have pain and cramping (even prior to surgery), and am on waiting list for MRI.  If Avalon Clarifying shampoo fails, I will try vinegar next.

Thanks a lot for posting this solution. It did help and the greasiness was 90% gone. I used Henna mixed in black tea. Put that on the hair and kept for 3 hours and then washed it with multani mitti (fuller's earth).
I have had the same issue and clearly am one of many...I seriously thought I was a freak.  No one I know has heard of this just happening all of a sudden.  My greasy area is mostly in the front hairline and around the crown too, but being in the front and the fact that I have long straight hair has been so difficult to deal with.  Thank god I found this because I've been struggling with it for 3 months now.  Nothing was working.  I tried Nuetrogena anti-residue shampoo, Biolage scalp therapy, Herbal Essence Drama clean, etc.  None of it worked.  I finally saw this and went right out and bought the Listerine.  Used at least 6 caps full this morning and followed up with the Nuetrogena shampoo and it feels 80% better.  I do feel just a tad oily in certain areas that maybe I just missed hitting with the listerine.  But I think one more wash with it tomorrow morning should do the trick.  I hope it lasts for a while.  I do smell strongly of Listerine today which is getting a little annoying, but it's so worth it!!
I had this problem for several weeks and nothing I seemed to do helped. I have very thick, coarse, curly hair and it tends to be very dry and frizzy. The clump of hair that was oily left a residue on my fingers and no amount of scrubbing (Dove High Moisture shampoo) helped. I skipped conditioner and curl creme trying to get it worked out. My stress levels hadn't increased. It could be hormones but I really am not sure.

I finally solved it with an apple cider vinegar rinse (about a fourth of a small bottle scrubbed into the affected area) and tea tree oil shampoo, no conditioner or treatment after. After one treatment it was almost completely fixed and my curls looked better than they have in years! After a second treatment (two days later), the streak was completely gone.

Hope this helps.
So thankful I found this forum! I can recall a time I used baking soda to remove product build-up back in my high school days once or twice, however this last month I experienced residue and oiliness like never before. I have only used sulfate-free salon products since I learned about Pantene and other harsh drugstore products in college. They are known to strip hair and leave buildup. I was puzzled when my Pureology sulfate-free shampoo stopped working last month.

Like most of you, I, noticed unusual oily spots close to the scalp, which seemed to spread and get worse over the weeks. Mine started on the back of my head, then a spot to the right of my part, and finally along my hairline in front. My instinct was to cut back on conditioner, switch to clarifying shampoo, etc. I don't wear all the hair styling products or blow dry frequently like I used to years ago, so I can only attribute my problem to stress, taking an antibiotic recently, and being on decongestant a lot to fight an allergy cold. It sounds like drying out the body can trigger this response by the body to create more oil.

I mentioned this problem to my hairdresser and she had no idea what to do. I can totally relate to the frustration and embarrassment. I was scrubbing my hair with clarifying shampoo repeatedly, letting it air dry overnight, and dreaded seeing the same oiliness when I got ready in the mornings. I also thought it was weird that I could hardly get my hair wet in the shower to shampoo it. Now I understand it was due to all this oil.

One other thing I want to note for moms with babies is that when my son was a baby and had bad cradle cap I ended up reading about Listerine plus baby oil to treat it. None of the marketed cradle cap products worked for him, but the Listerine & Burt's Bees apricot oil treatment worked like a charm! I used his little rubber gum stimulating toothbrush to work it into his scalp during a couple baths and it completely resolved the cradle cap.

Thanks for reminding me about Listerine! This has lifted a huge weight off my shoulders to finally find a solution and look forward to seeing my healthy hair again.
Ok so...the Listerine treatment was short lived....very short lived.  I smelled like Listerine for a week and only did 2 treatments.  My hair still went back to oily after day 2.  Still not sure how to solve this issue.  I have used apple cider vingar before and it also didn't work.  I talked to my OB/GYN about this the other day to see if he thought it was hormonal and he said it's possible it's a thyroid issue as oily hair is a symptom, however I would be having weight issues as well and I'm actually underweight if anything.  So I'm going to have the lab work done, but I'm doubtful that's the issue.  I am going to try what another poster said in the beginning about loading a ton of conditioner on.  It does sound counter-productive, but I've never really put conditioner on the top of my head so I'm wondering if my scalp is reacting to being to dry and overproducing oil.  I will try this weekend and then report back.
i have had the same problem! one day i washed my hair as usual to find that when it had dried, the hair on the top of my head was still greasy, so greasy that when i brushed it, it felt and looked like i had waxed my hair to my head, the ends of my hair however were as normal, so i rewashed and rewashed it and nothing worked, after about a week of this i  googled the problem and found a home remedy solution that really worked for me! i dnt usually try home remedies but i was desperate and im so glad i did cause after one go of this remedy my hair was back to normal!! so here is what i did:

i mixed Palmolive dishawashing liquid (the original green one) with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice together in a bowl (i made just enough to cover the top of my head) and then i massaged/combed the liquid into the top greasy parts of my hair and left it for about 10 minutes, then i rinsed it out with water. AND IT WORKED!

i have no idea how it worked or what caused this disaster to happen to my hair in the first place but i would recommend trying this out if you're having the same problem :)
One day I let my hair down in the morning, and the crown of my head was flat from so much grease.... SO NOT NORMAL... because my hair is long and curly and very frizzy before i style it. I do not want to wait and see if remedies will help. I do believe it is something like some sort of fungus. Should the same oral medication for toe nail fungus help my scalp in case it is fungus? I could benefit from it anyway, since I have a light yellow color in my toe nails.
I have been experiencing this same problem for a few weeks now. The problem started with a small oily/waxy patch at the top of my crown, and began to spread almost on a daily basis until the entire crown of my head was oily/waxy even immediately after washing. I usually wash my hair every other day, so at first I tried washing my hair daily, and this only seemed to make it worse. I even tried switching shampoos, using a 'clarifying' shampoo, and lathering twice with extra vigor. I rarely use conditioner, and I never use hair products, so these items did not factor into possible problems.

I have very long hair, so I thought maybe the length was starting to weigh down the hair at my scalp and create the problem, but this seemed unlikely because I have had very long hair with not much change in length for a number of years, and the growing oily/waxy patch was a new problem.

I read through a number of forums, medical websites, and informal remedies for oily hair and skin which address this problem. Notwithstanding the possibility of a chronic medical condition, there are a wide variety of ideas for treating oily hair; lemon juice, baking soda paste, Palmolive dish soap, eggs, apple cider vinegar, and others,  I decided to try a treatment which combined the application of (unflavored) listerine on the scalp followed by washing with an herbal tea tree oil shampoo. First, I wet my hair, and applied about 4-5 measured listerine caps to my scalp and massaged carefully for 1-2 minutes. I left the listerine in my hair for about 10 minutes, followed by a thorough wash with the tea tree oil shampoo (only one lather).

The problem appears to be almost entirely cleared up; after blow-drying the waxy/oily patch was at least 90% better-- not entirely cleared up, but MUCH better. I plan on repeating the treatment in two days if it comes back, and once a week or so if the problem continues.

Since a lot of the information available regarding this condition points to what could be mild seborrhoeic dermatitis, listerine seems like a relatively inexpensive remedy since it is anti-bacterial AND a natural oil deterrent because of the alcohol. Tea tree oil is also a traditionally 'homeopathic' anti-fungal and antiseptic treatment, so I thought it would be a good idea to use shampoo with this ingredient as an added measure. I don't plan on using the tea tree oil shampoo regularly, unless the problem becomes chronic.

Thank goodness for this forum!

I have been dealing the exact issue (i.e., extremely greasy crown following shower) for the past three weeks. Like many, I tried shampooing my hair twice and rinsing vigorously after conditioning but it only seemed to make it worse. I washed my comb, stopped using conditioning, etc. However, it got to the point where my crown was so stiff/waxy that it looked wet from all the grease! So disgusting and embarrassing!

I am a 28 years old Asian American from Chinese heritage. I have thick, straight, and never dyed hair. I rarely put any products on my hair and mostly air dry it. Although my hair tends to get greasy if I don't shower after a day, I have never had greasy hair on the day of showing nor have I ever experienced this issue before. So, it was very frustrating to come out of the shower with an incredibly greasy crown!!

Long story short, this miracle combination works! While it is clear that it has worked on other women with the same issue, I wanted to let my fellow ASIAN AMERICANS know that this method works on our hair, too!  

After reading this forum, I purchased a bottle of Listerine and Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo.Below are the steps I took:
a) Set water to a warm/ comfortable temperature (but not hot)
b) Washed and rinsed hair with shampoo
c) Poured 3-4 caps full of Listerine on crown/ affected area  
* Tilted head back and closed eyes so Listerine did not get into my eyes
* Scalp felt minty and tingly
d) Left Listerine on hair for approximately 4 mins
* I did this while soaping
e) Rinsed Listerine out
f) Washed and rinsed hair with shampoo again.
* I did not use conditioner.
g) Patted hair dry with towel.
* I did not dry hair as vigorously as I typically do.

While I was very hesitant that this would work, my hair has returned to 90% normal after completing the treatment. I will try this again tomorrow with the hope that my hair will return to normal. I am so relieved!

Could anyone can shed some light as to HOW/WHY this method works? What is the "science" behind it? I would really appreciate it!
I sound just like the rest of the group, but I did notice a common shampoo people on this forum use has been Pantene.  I have used Pantene shampoo and conditioner for years for my super dry scalp.   I also have an extreme amount of stress, so I was wondering if my sudden greasy crown was hormonal, stress or possibly Pantene?!   I have been using my husband's oily hair shampoo Pert and that seems to be helping.  I am really just trying to get to the root cause.
well i'm 27 years old and all my life i'v had dry hair. 2 weeks ago, all of a sudden, i had this greasy sticky hair right after showering, it was so frustrating. so i decided to google it and that's when i found this forum. so i tried listerine first. but it didnt work. the following day, i tried 2 lemon & salt and then listerine. i changed the shampoo too. and guess what?it worked!!! my hair is back to normal. i'm not sure about which are really the causes. recently i changed country, job, home and all. and i was going through lots of sress. so it culd be a combination of stress, hot weather, shower water...awy, regardless what are the causes, this method works!!!
It's been a week since my hair decided to freak out. I did what many do, I'm sure, I washed and washed and made it worse. My hair is fairly thick and a mix of curly and straight. I am mostly of European decent and live in an excessively dry climate. I tried mouth wash and a clarifying shampoo today and it seems to have mostly cleaned my grease spot. I will be trying it again tomorrow and the day after that I have an appointment with a dermatologist. Though this seems to have work I still would like some feedback from a specialist which I plan to post feedback here. I am also transitioning away from ... yes, pantene and head and shoulders. I don't think it was the exact problem but it didn't help.

Oh, I did a soap mouth wash combo for about 10 minutes and not super hot water. About 80% clean, and only a mild buildup 4 hours later. If this doesn't do the trick I'm trying the vinegar mix next.