Dermatology Expert Forum
Sun rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Sun rash

I have had a problem for a number of years and have had no success in finding the cause or solution. When ever I am exposed to the sun - bathing suit, shirt off, or wearing shorts - I develop a very itchy rash in the areas not exposed. The rash appears late afternoon, usually appearing first at the area where the buttocks and thigh meet. Further rash may appear at the front below the belt line. The rash is a raised and red. It itches severely enough to prevent sleep. It usually leaves by morning.
Early doctor's diagnosis focused on allergies. I was tested, I have tried diet changes, laundry soap changes, different underware fabrics, etc - all to no effect.
Treatment with anti-histamines has no effect. I have tried all itch relief medications without effect. Cortico-steroid creams also had no effect.
The symptoms are most like descriptions of prickly heat however I can spend days out in the hot sun without developing any rash as long as my skin is covered. The rash has never appeared from heat alone.
Any help would be appreciated.
Henry:

I'm a bit puzzled, ot just by the rash but by your description.  First you say it occurs on "areas not exposed," and at the end you say,"I can spend days out in the hot sun without developing any rash as long as my skin is covered."  If you mean that the rash appears only on skin which is not covered by clothing but not exposed to the sun, then I confess that I have no idea, as I have never encountered of heard of such a distribution.

Some people allergic to sun rays develop itchy bumps on exposed skin, which is not protected from the long wave ultraviolet rays most sunscreens fail to block.  For them, taking an antihistamine like chlortrimeton 4mg (OTC) an hour before exposre and using a broad-spectrum sunblock like Shade UVA sometimes helps.

Whatever the nature of your perplexing rash, the kind og sun damage related to the development of skin cancer is not involved.

Good luck.

Dr. R
Clarification - If I wear a bathing suit or shorts the fact that my legs are exposed to the sun triggers the rash however the rash does not appear on the exposed skin but rather will appear on skin covered by the bathing suit or shorts.
For sun to cause a rash only in non-sun-exposed areas is a circumstance I have not yey encountered.  Heat and sweat-retention would seem to be the best explanation, even though I believe you said you doubted that.  Perhpas you should try applying talcum or baby powder to affected areas before sun exposure to see if that limits or minimizes the porblem.

Best.

Dr. R
Have tried cotton briefs, talcum, etc etc - heat alone does not result in a rash.
My mother is visiting from Indiana to Florida and after sitting in the sun 3 times she now has a very itchy rash on her upper chest and neck that is driving her crazy.  It keeps her awake at night.  We think maybe it is sun poison.  How can we be for sure and what can be done to alleviate the itching and burning?
Thank You!
I suffer from sun rash if I am exposed to the sun for long periods of time, primarily on the neck, hands and arms. I have never been a person to tan easily, so any attempts at sunbathing have resulted in this skin rash...It's very itchy!  I didn't start to suffer from this until my late 20's. My attempts to sunbathe are now over...not only because of this bothersome rash, but because we have a family member that has Stage IV Melanoma and this cancer is deadly.  From now on, it's tan in a bottle for me and no more sun rash!
after a trip to mexico,(lying in the sun tanning) i got sun poisoning on my upper cheek and after putting some cream on it, it went away, how ever my fore head now seems to have broken out in acne..i have acne but not usually this bad..is the newly developed acne due to the sun poisoning?
I too suffer from red itchy skin with little bumps, mostly on my chest after sun exposure. It will go away once you get a base tan! Just get your tan slowly. In the mean time when I am trying to get tan I use lysine its an herb you can get at the grocery store in a pill form, it is supposed to be for blisters or cold sores but it works great for my problem.It took me years before someone told me about it. You only take it right before you go out in the sun. If you do develop symptoms take more after sun exposure.
I have very itchy in one area on my right shoulder and down arm to elbow.  It feels like a million needles pricky me and I scratch hard but comes back even more.  I thought of shingles and putting ice pack on helps and also use calmine lotion and Benadrahl cream.  I have a rash but I think mostly from scatching so hard.  Mostly bad at night.  If shingles could be from chicken pox virus but I just spent 2 weeks in sun on cruise and this seem to come after that.   I have also been under lots of stress lately -- could it be nerves?  Thank you for your help.
I too am getting a rash from sun exposure.  It started last summer.  Once fall & winter came here, it went away.  Just went to Florida for vacation and it came back.  It started on my arm and eventually popped out on various areas of my skin -- chest, shoulders, neck, underside of legs, knees -- areas exposed to the sun.  The bumps are small and itchy, burning when scratched and become more itchy when scratched.  The rash progressed as the vacation progressed.  Sun screen didn't help too much.  Drs. here prescribed Claritin, Doxepin, Prednisone, Ultravate, Clobetasol last summer.  I have 5-year-old and am desperate to spend some time with her at the beach this summer.  I have no idea what's causing this reaction or how I can get rid of it.  Any ideas?
check if your taking medication and going out in sun!even a week prior meds can remain in your system and cause reaction with sunlight.
I went tanning over the winter (one time) and developed a mild bumpy rash on my arms. It was a little itchy but not terrible. I recently spent an hour in the sun and got the same rash on my arms again. My neck was also exposed but was sunburned (no rash). I am wondering if this is from St. John's Wort or maybe a polymorphic light eruption. I am very fair skinned, live in Minnesota, and hardly ever tan. The rash only lasted a day. I am afraid of spending time in the sun because of this. Can anyone tell me how I can pinpoint the culprit?
Emily
Can anyone help?, I am going on a family holiday in 6 weeks to Spain and am trying to get a tan base via a sun bed. I have had two sessions and have come out in a red rash which look like small blisters, they are mainly on my arms but I also have some on my legs and trunk and feet.
I have suffered with this over the last few years when my body gets exposed to the sun, once my skin gets a base it goes down, it is still there but not as noticeable. I have taken Benadry but am looking for any remedies anyone knows.
For the last couple of years, i have suffered from some sort
of sun rash on my hands, arms and legs when exposed to sun
after a couple of hours, like little red pimples which itch
and sting like mad,
I don't want to have to give going on sun holidays,
i have a dark complexion and usually tan quite easily.
Is there anyone out there who can help me and suggest
any preventative measures or some sort of sunscreen which
is for that purpose. I have tried antihistamines but to no avail.
Please, anyone?
I would be eternaly grateful.
Been getting a reaction to sun for the last 2 years .very small red itcy spots that look like a small flat blister mostly on arms but have couple on trunk even though i have not had my shirt off in the sun
I too suffer from sun rash.  I am 34 years old, and this is now my 5th or 6th summer that this has happened.  I break out in hives around my neck, shoulders, upper chest, and arms.  These hives are extremely itchy!!  I have tried Benadryl, Reactine, Claritin, and various creams, but nothing works.  It has now become the routine every summer that I start to get these hives in about June (as soon as the sun gets hot) and they will be there until September when it cools down.  I am not a sun worshipper, and I would never sun bathe, but just incidental contact with the sun will be enough to bring these on.  I am getting to the point where I would like some answers as to why I get this...this year seems to be even worse than the years before, and I am afraid that soon the hives will be on my face too.  Any help would be appreciated.
I have developed a itchy red acne type rash on my chest and have few other places. I have been in the sun all my life and tan well. I have tried paba free and non oily but they dont work any help
hi
i have small white itchy spots on my legs which have spread to my upper chest, do you know what these are???
A related discussion, Sun Rash... was started.
A related discussion, rash was started.