Sunburn like rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sunburn like rash

After having a bad cold for a week, I broke out with a red bumpy rash on my torso.  As the week progressed, the redness spread to the underside of my upper arm and eventually the forearm, the inside of my thighs and onto my back, neck, and scalp.  It felt hot to the touch and looked like I had a terrible sunburn.  My skin was slightly swollen also.  It was dry and itchy and I took lots of Aveno oatmeal baths followed by repeated layer of Cera Va cream and hydrocortisone lotion. Next, my skin started peeling like I really had had a terrible sunburn. The redness and heat are beginning to fade as the skin peels off, but my skin is still extremely dry. I have had chronic dry skin since birth, have had bouts of ecema, and do have asthma. I did visit my doctor and she was stumped.  She suspected it was some kind of virus since we ruled out all the usually culprits for allergic reactions.   Any ideas?  Thanks for your help.
Two possibilities are there . Since you already have eczema, hence it can be a flare up of eczema which is a form of dermatitis due to allergic reaction. The second possibility is of hives or urtocaria which again happens as an allergic response. Even viral rash can present on the torso with these symptoms.

Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Topical calamine lotion and mild steroid cream also helps. For the itching please take some over the counter antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin. Please consult a dermatologist in that case. If the rash turns into blister like rashes which are painful, then shingles is a possibility.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.