Dermatology Expert Forum
Super sudden itching

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Super sudden itching

Two days ago I awoke at 2 AM in the morning with uncotrollable itch all over my hands and for no known reason. I scratched for 4 hours and it seemed to pass. Now last night it has started again and now it is my hands and legs. The more I scratch the itchier it gets and am starting to break out in a rash like a million mini bug bites . Any help would be most appreciated. Could it be something I've eaten ? Wife and i eat the same and she is OK.
Hard to say.  I would treat the symptoms as follows: take 25 mg of Benadryl (over-the-counter) at bedtime and apply Sarna lotion (also OTC) liberally and often every time you feel like scratching.  If that doesn't abolish the cycle of itching and scratching in a week or so, see a doctor.  Doesn't sound like an allergy, though.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I have the exact same problem but it's been going on ever since I moved to FL, 4 years ago. Been to many types of doctors, even got a complete allergy work up which deteremined I am allergic to, amoung many other things, dust mites.  Spent $300 to mite-proof my bed, but to no avail.  If anyone can help, please comment!