Surgical Stiches

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Surgical Stiches

About how long should it take for surgical stitches to dissolve and should I be concerned if my dermatologist left undissolving stitches under my skin?
Stitches usually dissolve in a few weeks. Though it does vary, some may take longer and some shorter. And not all dissolvable stitches actually dissolve. They may have to be removed.As for the others, I don't think it'd be a problem, though I can't be sure on that one.

The time taken for surgical stitches to dissolve depends on the type of suture material used and the area where they have been applied,its vascularity and general immune status of the patient.On an average,it is 1-2 weeks but sometimes may take longer depending on the above stated criteria.

Undissoving stitches are usually cut off once the wound dries off.So if there were any undissolving stitches under the skin(chances are less likely),then undissoving suture material like silk is used to stitch on the surface of the skin also.The stitches used under the skin are almost always dissolving and the cut ends of the skin surface(epidermis and dermis) may be tied with undissolving stitches.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.

I had a severe cut to my left arm back in July and went to our local ER to be attended to. The cut went into the muscle tisse pretty deep and the doctor sutured the muscle under the skin then the surface cut of the skin itself. While she was sewing me up I asked about the type of stitches she was using and she said they were intestine type, they would disolve in time etc. That was early July and it is now the end of October but the stitches in the muscle are still there just as they were the day she sewed me up. The suface stitches seemed to ast prettly long time and although they never disolved I did cut them out about 2 weeks later when I seen that the cut was healing over ok.
The stitches under the skin are irritating and uncomfortable and the muscle actuall feels as if it tares soemtimes at the stitch when I strain the muscle of my arm is rubbed roughly on the surface. What should I do and should the stitches of the right type were used have been gone by now ?