DERMATOLOGY
FORUM
Suttons Halo Nevus (moles)
by matt01, May 26, 2001
Hello Doctor,
I'd firstly like to commend u on the fantastic service you provide.

Anyway here's my question:

At the age of 14, nearly all moles started changing on my body(turning flat,change colour with a white ring around each)only one or 2 are normal.(moles are on my back,arm,neck and legs)i consulted my g.p and he removed a mole off my back(result was it wasn't cancerous)then i saw a specialist when i was 16 years old and he diagnosed me with Suttons Halo Nevus. At this time I started getting constant back/neck pain(bones were cracking constantly) i thought the moles might have something to do with this.and then on another visit that year after he removed another mole because of pain(wasn't cancerous)

I am now 22 and alot of moles have completely disapeared(only a white circle remains in spot of mole)I have a number of other moles which have white rings and moles which changed. The moles are still of great concern to me and was wondering if some could have turned cancerous now, I am still getting constant back/neck pain(cracking of bones-back and chest.is the pain and constant cracking in my back and neck attributed to the moles? i don't know alot about suttons halo nevus.is it common and should i be concerned?

any help and assistance you give me about suttons halo nevus would be appreciated alot.

thanks in advance.

Answer:
by Alan Rockoff, MDBlank, May 27, 2001
Halo nevi are common, and you shouldn't be concerned.  Teenagers often get one or several moles which do exactly what yours did--get a symmetrical white halo around them and then shrink or disappear.  Two biopsies are enough.  By all means get a skin check every year or two if you wish, but the pain is not related to the moles, unless it comes from your worrying about them, a phenomenon to which I refer often.  Have you had medical/orthopedic evaluations to rule out other causes of back pain?  If not, perhpas you should.  But forget about the halo moles.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Member Comments (5)
by sLIMSHADY, Jul 28, 2001
HELLO MY NAME IS ADEL AND I AM 14 I HAVE THESE MOLESWITH WHITE RINGS AROUND THEM BUT I ALSO JUST HAVE WHITE SPOTS THE SAME COLOR WITHOUT MOLES SHOULD I BE CONCERND IN ANYWAY BECAUSE I HEARD A SIGN OF CANCER CAN BE UNUSUAL MOLES.
by sLIMSHADY, Jul 28, 2001
by sLIMSHADY, Jul 28, 2001
by mander523, Jun 20, 2012
A related discussion, Halo nevus was started.