Swelling, Flaking, and Pain

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Swelling, Flaking, and Pain

This could be long-winded.  It's been a crazy couple of months.  I went to the doctor on march 27 for a very sore throat.  He diagnosed me with strep throat even though he didn't do a culture.   Prescribed me z-pack.  A week later I noticed the corner of my lips starting to swell.  Over the next couple days it spread and then they started flaking.  The skin around my lips started flaking, too.  It burned and itched and I went back to the doctor and he prescribed me Valtrex and Cefdinir.  Went away for a week and came back.  Began with lips swelling again and then sat night into sunday it started oozing.  Sunday at 7am i went to the hospital and was prescribed valtrex, prednisone, and oh gosh i'm blanking on the other antibiotic.  It went away and a week later I got a cold.  Then (first time this happened) I noticed a white blister on the inside of my lip.  I had to pull my lip down to see it.  The only reason I did was because my lip felt like a fat lip.  Went to the doctor and he took bloodwork and prescribed me more bloodwork and had me schedule an appt with an allergist.  The doctor called and said my bloodwork came back ANA positive and scheduled an appt with a dermatologist for me.  That was over a week ago.  The dermatologist prescribed me a paste to help the swelling but it didn't do anything.  For awhile all I had was a swollen bottom lip and unbelievably congested nose.  To the point where I wake up in the night and can't fall back asleep because I can't breathe through my nose.  Also somewhere along the line the tip of my tongue's taste buds became protruded and there is a kind of slit in the middle.  It still is like this and almost feels like a permanent burnt tongue.  Also, it's pink and the rest of my tongue is kind of white.  Today my lips got even more swollen, started feeling like a fat lip, I noticed a white blister, and now it's oozing a little.  I don't really know what else to do or even what is going on.  My dermatologist had some ideas of what it could be but nothing positive.  I had scheduled an appt with him in 2 weeks but I might try to see if I can make it sooner.

Anyone have any ideas?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Do you have any known allergies?

This may be a hypersensitivity reaction. I suggest that you discuss with your physician if an allergic reaction has been ruled out. This has been present for quite a while so an allergy may be unlikely. However, the lip and tongue swelling as well as nasal congestion may have a hypersensitivity reaction as a differential. You may need oral antihistamines for this.Have you been assessed along this line?
To clarify what I said, the doctor prescribed more Valtrex, not bloodwork.  The flaking is so bad that if I drink from a styrofoam cup, it leaves yellow flakes on the rim of the cup.  It also can come with tons of small bumps.  It's all extremely painful.  The dermatologist's ideas weren't positive meaning they weren't definite.  My next appt is to try to narrow it down.  Also, I've been stressed but TONS more anxious every day, especially with work.  My anxiety is something else I need to go to a doctor about, but maybe it affects this as well.  I've become so paranoid this is really all I can think about.  That probably isn't helping things either.

In response to you, Vanessa, I had an allergy test way back in 97ish.  Nothing out of the ordinary-dust, grass.  The doctors all ask if I've eaten anything new but I eat the same things.  My allergist appointment is Friday and hopefully the test can tell me either way if it's an allergy or not.

It's baaaack.  Friday night I noticed the fat lip sensation and sure enough my lips started swelling.  This time, where the swelling was I noticed that if I pressed it, it was a bit tougher than the rest of my lips.  Saturday I woke up and the swelling was still there, about the same.  Sunday I woke up and my upper lip was swollen to the same size of my swollen lower lip.  They were also extremely chapped and the chapping was yellow.  I had been applying vaseline and noticed that the skin would turn yellow, so then I'd take it off with a q-tip and re-apply.  During the day I wasn't able to reapply and I felt an extreme burn all day.  I put the paste on overnight and when I woke up this morning the swelling had gone down a bit.  I put vaseline on and it lasted for a little while.  But then the burning started again.  Now the upper lip is less swollen and both lips are more red on the inside and whiter on the outside.
The allergist didn't even give me an allergy test because he said it wasn't allergies.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

These are tests used rule out an underlying autoimmune disease such as SLE, scleroderma and Sjogren's syndrome . For women especially, signs of a rash, joint pain, and swelling of certain parts of the body may require further evaluation. Some autoimmune diseases affect connective tissues. Connective tissues include the muscles and the smaller fibers ( eg collagen) that keep our organ systems together.

I would certainly consider this to be a yeast problem such as candida. Especially the white bump in your lip, which if I recall correctly is called oral thrush.
Do a search on any engine and you'll find a vast array of homeopathic treatments, probably the best thing would be a detox and a reduction of carbs and sugar intake( sugar and carbs feed the yeast!)

Best wishes~