Swelling, tingling then chapped dry lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have been having problems with my lips every few months over the last few years since I have been on High blood pressure medicine and I don't know what to do.  I'm on vacation now and it's bothersome to say the least.

I noticed it flares up when I had spicy foods like buffalo wings or those lime tortilla chops and now I made homemade garlic bread with garlic powder and it happened again.  At first they start to tingle and almost go numb, then they start to puff up a little and get red and start hurting, then for days later they become dry and chapped and peel.

I just learned not to use the flavored chapstick or carmex because those dry it out more, but can anyone help with the causes and some solutions I can use while I'm on holiday until I can get back to my doctor.

gg

What is your age? Do you smoke?

Some causes could be lip biting, lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun and ill fitting dentures. In extreme cases, this could be due to bacterial or fungal skin infection.

You need to drink plenty of water daily – around 1.5 – 3 litres per day. Do not keep your lips dry; apply lip balm which contains sunscreen – preferably a medicated one.

If you have cracks at the corner of your mouth it indicates B2 deficiency in this case you need to take B2 supplements.

If the symptoms still persist, consult your skin specialist or dermatologist for a clinical examination nad confirmed diagnosis.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.

Thank you for responding.  I'm 43 and quit smoking years ago.  I do get a crack at the corner of my mouth after a few days and I do bite my lips but I've been doing that for years and have only had this problem in the last few years.  

I hope it's a B vitamin deficiancy.  How much in a supplement should I get?

Thank you again.

gg

You could take a Vitamin B complex capsule twice daily till your symptoms subside along with local application of medicated lip balm etc.

If the symptoms still persist, consult your skin specialist or dermatologist for a clinical examination and confirmed diagnosis.

Regards.