Swelling and rash on hand -- what causes this?

About 6 years ago I had an occurrence when my right hand swelled up like a balloon and was itchy/burning it eventually spread to my left hand (though not as bad).  I went to the emergency and got an epinephrine shot and it went away after a couple of hours.  Didn't have any re-occurrences until about 3 weeks ago, when my right hand became itchy and began to swell again -- this time I took a Zyrtec and it went away shortly afterward (my roommate has allergies so we had Zyrtec in the house).  I have no known allergies, did not eat anything different than I normally do or wear anything new. Does anybody know what could be causing this??
One possibility is of angioedema which is due to allergies. Take some antihistaminic like Benadryl. If the symptoms persist then please get an examination done from a dermatologist. Also topical and oral steroids may be needed for which I suggest you to consult a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.