Swelling of the lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Swelling of the lips

For about 10 years now on and off I get a stinging sensation in part of my lip and it then swells up to twice its size for no reasons.  I went to the doctors about this some years ago and they never got to the bottom of what causes it as I recorded what I ate, drank and washed with and we never came up with anything.  I haven't had noting for a year or so but over the past couple of months it has been happening more often about once a week/fortnight.  It stings/tingles before it swells and the same when its swollen, even more so when you touch it.  The swelling can last up to 12 hours or more and each time it happens it is not always the same area of the lip.  This is really starting to get me down and  frustrate me now as it looks so horrible.  Please help me?
Sounds like you might have Angioedema. Is it only your top lip that swells?
Avatar dr f tn

Lip swelling could be due to hives, angioedema, eczema, cheilitis, herpes stomatitis, or myxedema. Are there other signs or symptoms present? In particular, angioedema like hives,  may be caused by an allergic reaction. Histamine and other chemicals are released into the bloodstream and causes symptoms such as  of swelling, welts that usually occur around the eyes and lips. They may also be found on the hands, feet, and throat. Associated symptoms may include: abdominal cramping, beathing difficulty, sollen eyes and mouth, or sen lining of the eyes.Diagnosis is through physical examination and rrely, allergy testing. Mild symptoms may not need treatment. Cool compresses or soaks can provide pain relief. Medications used to treat angioedema include: atihistamines or ati-inflammatory medicines. It is important to note that difficulty of breathing warrants an immediate medical attention.

If this still persists, it would be best to have it evaluated further buy your doctor for proper management and to rule out other causes.  Take care and keep us posted.
Avatar n tn
Hi thanks for your response, no it can be the bottom lip that swells as well.
Avatar n tn
Hi, thanks for your response.  The only other symptom I can think of is what I have been told is a Ganglion on my finger which I also had when I was in my early to mid teens probably around the same time of the swelling but this time the ganglion is bigger and I notice and feel it more.  I am also going through a bit of a bad time as my sister has been diagnosed with advanced bowel cancer and I am abviously very worried about her, so didn't know if worry/stress has brought it on again?