Swelling on forehead

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Swelling on forehead

Over the last few years, I have noticed a swelling on the forehead in the temple area that has increased gradually with time. The swelling appears to be more in the middle of forehead right above the area between the eyes and tapers down towards the ears. There is no pain however. Could you please suggest the possible causes for this condition?

Thank you.

If it is a painless, soft to firm lump then it could be a sebaceous cyst.Sebaceous cysts are usually small and grow slowly.Sebaceous cysts generally do not require medical treatment. However, if they continue to grow, they may become unsightly, painful, infected, or all of the above.
Surgical excision of a sebaceous cyst is a simple procedure to completely remove the sac and its contents.
If you have associated symptoms of sinusitis it could be a swelling because of this. Alternatively it could be a bone growth or a growth arising from the soft tissue of the forehead.
You need to have it examined physically to reach the correct diagnosis.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebaceous_cyst
Avatar n tn
Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I added an image of the swelling in case that is of any help. Hope you were able to see it.

I really appreciate your quick reply. Thank you once again.
My son has a lump like bone n the middle of his forehead from the top of his forehead to the middle of his eyes an its directly in the middle an not quite an inch wide. It doesn't seem to bother him I can feel it can't barely c it but it does show up n some pics does anyone have an idea on this one