Swollen, red, itchy penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Swollen, red, itchy penis

For the last several days, possibly a week, my penis has been red, itchy, swollen, and dry causing white cracked patches.  I am partially circumcised, but my penis stays retracted into my foreskin most of the time.  I keep it clean, but I did recently switch to a different type of body wash.  I am a diabetic and haven't been sexually active for quite some time.  The skin seems shiny, almost like it were wet.  I've been using a triple antibiotic ointment for the last 3 or 4 days and it seems to quell the itching for a while, but doesn't seem to be healing anything.  What could be causing it and what kind of over-the-counter medicines can I used to heal it (I don't have health insurance, I lost my job last month)?  Thanks very much.

This could be due to some bacterial infection/ fungal infection or dermatitis or eczema, etc.

Keep the area clean and wear clothes washed in a few drops of chlorhexidine preferably and dried in the sun.Maintain good personal hygiene and wear lose comfortable clothes. Apply calamine lotion at the sites ,and take oral antihistamine medications like loratadine for the itching.

Is your blood sugar levels under control?

It would be best to consult a doctor about the symptoms if they do not resolve and get a proper clinical examination.

Let us know about what your doctor advises and how you are doing.

Regards.