Swollen, scaly earlobe

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Swollen, scaly earlobe

Almost two weeks ago I woke up with a fair amount of pain coming from my right earlobe. I felt it and it was swollen to about the size of a small marble, red, hard, and painful to the touch. I've occasionally gotten small bumps along the backs of my ears before, but they were really more like pimples than anything and went away within a few days, so nothing really like my current issue.

As of today, the pain and swelling has gone down somewhat. It feels like a firm lump right where my earlobe connects with my head and the skin on and around it has become very scaly and itchy. I'd love some insight as to what this could be and whether it's worth making a doctor's appointment for. Thank you!
If it was my ear, I'd make that doctor's appointment. You may need an antibiotic to treat that 'lump'...only a doctor can tell you when she/he sees it.
Any pimple like swelling near the ear could occur due to few basic possibilities namely a Pimple itself, infected ingrown hair follicle or sebaceous cyst, ear infection and parotid gland infection (parotitis). Pimple or sebaceous cyst may occur due to excess oil clogging in the skin pore. Ear infections like middle or external ear infections can also cause such pimple like fistulous tract opening which may change size after bursting but tend to remain persistent until underlying ear infection is diagnosed by an ENT specialist.

I suggest you to get it seen from an ENT specialist.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.