Dermatology Expert Forum
Swollen Penis Foreskin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Swollen Penis Foreskin

Dear Dr. Rockoff,
My son is 13 year old and is experiencing a swollen penis. When he pee, it does not hurt. The small thin skin underneath the opening of his penis is slightly torn. The swelling is all around the penis shaft foreskin just next to the head of the penis. It measure about 1/4 inches in thickness. (His for foreskin has been stripping away from the penis head for about a year but is not completely stripped off).

We are presently (6/23/08) in Cuba for vacation. Two days ago after coming back from the a day of swimming in the beach and pool, he showered and notice that there was a slight swelling on the foreskin of his penis. 3AM that same night/morning (6/21/08), I was afraid and called on the resort's on call Doctor. She has only recommended a Cuban medication similar to Benaldryl (pill: to be taken every 12 hours), Ibuprophane 500mg every 6 hours, cold compress, and stay indoor. We have been doing exactly as instructed but the swelling does not seems to be reduced.

Is there anything that we can do? We are stuck here for another three days. We have neosporin with us and may hydrocortisone (1%). Can we use these items? Is there anything else we can do? This is no discharge. It does not hurt when he pee.

Please help us. Sincerely, Doug
I don't think you need to do anything.  If he can urinate without pain, then the swelling has no significance.  I suspect that your son noticed this swelling after swimming, because the sensitive penis skin absorbed water while he was swimming, and that is why it looks swollen.  If it still seems swollen when you get home, you can have a urologist look at it, but I would be very surprised if you discover that there is anything you can or need to do.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
my husbands foreskin was swollen over the top of the head of his penis. The only way to describe what it looked like, is if you look at how your lips look when you make a fish face (i know it sounds foolish) . however it's swollen not only top and bottom like fish lips but all the way around. the inside part of the foreskin is swollen outside of the outer layer of skin. He asked me right away if i had a yeast infection due to the fact that he had a similar reaction to his x wife when they had sex and she had a yeast infection. I checked all the sites for yeast infections and what they look like on a male etc but nothing looks anything like this. it;s not raw but it was hurting to pee when it was swollen. We are both very clean ppl. no std's . can you give me an idea of what it is. I am currently taking a yeast treatment to be on the safe side.
Sir, im 24 years old i havent had sex for about 2 weeks now (not in a relationship atm).. but i masturbate frequently last week i masturbated then took a shower i noticed theres swelling around the head of penis (im circumsized by the way) after 3 days the swellings gone... a day later i masturbated again nightime... come morning the swelling came back (i dnt feel any pain when i urinate)...i dunno whats wrong, is the swelling caused by masturbation? if so why? oh yeah..im an average person but im confident about my personal hygene... may i ask for your opinion Sir? and maybe some advise on treatment... or should i jst go straight to the ER? please... need help ASAP...

Thank you for your time
A related discussion, jock itch was started.
My penis foreskin is swollen n hurts when I pull it back and look like there are small cuts on it.there  were small bumps in the head but they are gone now but foreskin still swollen for 3 days now I'm begining to get very worried
A related discussion, Foreskin swollen was started.