Swollen itchy penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Swollen itchy penis

I recently noticed the corners of my lips were getting dry and cracked.  I used chapstick for a couple of days to no avail.  After 3 days the cracling became so bad.  A day day later before going to bed my penis began itching alot.  A day later the shaft of my penis swelled to twice its normal diameter.  The itching is unbearable and the skin around my penis is swollen really bad.  Aside from the cracked lips "corners" and the itching and swelling at my penis, I have no other symptoms.  My penis definitely has a rash, but no blisters, ulcers etc.  I was tested for herpes 2 yrs ago which came back negative.  I just am worried the cracked corners of my lips and penis must be related.  I have not had sex in 5 months.   These symptoms just appeared recently.  I went to a urologist who examined my penis and prescribed cephalexin pills and a cream containing clotrimazole and betamethasone.  He thinks it may be a yeast infection or fungus.  also the corners of my lips only are cracked and ulcerated, not the inside of my mouth whatsover, also I no burning or pain urinating or discharge.  Any ideas what this could be?

You should continue with the medications as prescribed and review with your specialist.

This could be due to acne/pimples/ or infection of the hair follicles called folliculitis or some bacterial infection/ fungal infection or some skin nodules etc.

Do you remember any history of trauma or injury to the site?

Nothing can be said with surety without having a look at the lesions.

It would be best to reconsult your doctor about your symptoms if they do not resolve and get a proper clinical examination.

Keep the area clean and wear clothes washed in a few drops of chlorhexidine preferably and dried in the sun.

Avoid shaving for some days till you consult your doctor and apply calamine lotion and some over the counter antibacterial cream on the lesions.

You could take oral antihistamine or antiallergic medications for the itching.

Let us know about what your doctor advises.

Regards.