Swollen lymph node
After reading about HIV/AIDS etc I have been increasingly worried about it. I have a swollen right ear lymph node and had it for a while didnt think much of it till researching it on the net. It says it could be a sign of the infection. I dont really have many more of the symptoms but little sore lumps on my head(dont know if its related). My sisters both have bad scalps so maybe I have that. The lump at first hurt the doctor said it was down to me having tonsilitus but had a course of penicillin the tonsilitus went but the lymph node didnt. Should I worry? I havent had tonsilitus in my life but had it about 3 times since the node appeared???

This discussion is related to HIV RASH? - I am really worried -HELP.

Lymph nodes are small (1-2cm) and bean-shaped nodes. they are very important to your body keeping you healthy. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions, arthritis, cancer, metabolic diseases, and an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).

Tonsillitis can cause post auricular lymph node swelling although submandibular lymph nodes are more prone. What is the constituency of the swollen lymph nodes? Soft nodes are most likely infection or inflammation, firm but rubbery nodes could be lymphoma and rock hard nodes are more likely from some other type of metastatic cancer not lymphoma.Lymph node biopsy is the diagnostic test for finding out the cause of swollen lymph node.Till that time, over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers and warm compresses may be all you need. For more serious cases, treatment of swollen lymph nodes involves treating the underlying cause.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I am a 33 year old male, that has had swollen tonsils and lymph nodes in my neck for over 30 days. I have been given a strep test, and a mono spot test, both of which were negative. I also took a prescribed antibiotic which had no affect. A cbc was performed with the mono spot test, and my blood counts were normal. My doctor has told me it is a viral infection, and should work it's way out of my system. Try to consult alabama dermatologist, they're a great help!