Dermatology Community
Tanning bed to help eczema?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Tanning bed to help eczema?

I have fairly pale skin, red hair, and freckles.   I also get very bad "winter skin" in the late fall, winter, and early spring.  I live in the the northwest United States, so it's a dry and cold climate for several months.

I'd read that occasionally using a tanning bed can help with the eczema.   Lotions don't seem to help me in the winter months, and I'm trying to avoid taking any prescription drugs for this.      I do tan on my arms by being outdoors quite a bit in the summer, and that really seems to help the eczema problem (it completely goes away on my arms).  My legs and back though are another matter.    In the summer isn't as bad,  but gets bad again in the late fall and lasts until the late spring.  

It seems to go away much quicker on my arms in the early spring when I start getting some sun exposure..   Lotion doesn't seem to help much at all, except keeping it from becoming very painful.

I'm really tired of being the incredibly pale person with eczema :(    Not that anyone really notices the eczema...since I keep covered up completely, even in the summer, which is very uncomfortable.    If using a tanning bed would help the eczema and at the same time possibly give me a little color so I don't look like Casper,  I think it not only would help the eczema issue, but also my self esteem.

Do you think occasionally (once every week or once every couple of weeks) using a tanning bed might help me?