Tattoo rashes?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Tattoo rashes?

I have a total of 9 tattoos all from different shops and on different areas of my body. Today the tattoo on the back of my leg started itching and itching has spread through the entire tattoo. I've had the tattoo for about 7 months it is entirely black and grey. Later in the day the tattoo on my upper back also started itching and it has also spread throughout the entire tattoo. This one I've had for a year and it has yellow and red in it. Just not the same problem happened to my wrist which I've had for over 2 years. Its also black and grey. I am concerned because I've also started feeling weak and sick today and I don't know if that is somehow connected. I haven't been able to find information on what it might be. I don't put on lotion and I don't think its an allergy to the ink because its on 3 seperate tattoos on 3 seperate parts of my body and I got them at different shops at different points in time. Can anyone make sense of this?
Since the itching has started from the tattoo and then spread, so it is likely due to allergic reaction to the inks of the tattoo only. I suggest you to get an evaluation done from a dermatologist and till that time, take antihistaminics like Benadryl or Claritin and apply some topical steroid creams on the rash.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I am now having the exact same problem for the last several months. I have seen a Dermatologist 3 times over the course of 6 weeks. He had me try two different steroidal cremes which helped reduce the size of the bumps but was not a cure. I've had this tattoo for 19 years until this rash suddenly developed. He said that it is likely the cadmium in the red ink that typically is the cause of sudden rashes. The good news is that he said it is not and will not become a tumor or cancer--the shin is just inflamed in response to the pigment. The doctor basically gave me the options of laser treatment to remove the tattoo or to cut the tattoo out which will leave a big scar. But I know this Dermatologist to be very conventional and mainstream his thinking so I am researching other options. Since someone mentioned a possible fungal infection as the cause of the rash I'm going to try colloidal silver spray for a few weeks starting tonight.  
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers