Teenage dandruff
My 17 yo son has terrible flaking, and caking of the scalp. He shampoos everyday with dandruff shampoo, we have tried them all. As a toddler, he was diagnosed with Ezema, that is mostly under control now, but the dandruff is out of control. I have spent a small fortune on OTC shampoos, Tea tree oil, etc. I know that at his age, this is devestating to him, what else can I do? Also, could it be related to the ezema?
Dandruff can be due to internal or external causes. Internal causes include hormonal imbalance, poor healthand  hygiene, allergic hypersensitivity, lack of rest, emotional stress, excessive consumption of sugar, fat or starch and heredity predisposition. External causes include excessive use of hair sprays and gels, improper use of hair-coloring products, cold weather and dry indoor heating, infrequent shampooing of the hair or inadequate rinsing of the scalp and hair.
Ask your son to eat a healthy diet. He can also take vit B6 and vit A and E which are good for hair and skin. Try medicated shampoos for dandruff. There are a number of over-the-counter shampoos available that can help. The most effective ingredients -- antimicrobials -- to look for are zinc pyridinethione, selenium sulfide, sulfur and ketoconazole (also available by prescription). If your hair is colored, don't use products with selenium sulfide or sulfur.

If the symptoms persist please consult a trichologist for the confirmatory diagnosis and treatment. Seborrheic dermatitis has to be ruled out.
I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.