Dermatology Community
Telogen Effluvium lasting a year?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Telogen Effluvium lasting a year?

Hi, I am a 40 year old female, and I have been under alot of stress in the past year due to an undiagnosed medical condition that started a year ago October.  My hair started falling out in December 2008, and stopped falling out at a greater rate than normal in about March or April, I believe.  I have no new hair regrowth since.  The hair I do have continues to grow fast, but no new hair, and my scalp is starting to show through.  My doctors have tested for everything and told me it's Telogen Effluvium due to stress, but this seems to be going on for a long time.  Now, I'm also stopping the birth control pill per my doctor's recommendation, and that has me concerned that it might cause further hair loss.  Does this sound like Telogen Effluvium?  Can it last a year or more?

Thank you.

Michelle
Related Discussions
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,
From the symptoms it sounds like telogen effluvium. It is nonscarring alopecia characterized by diffuse hair shedding, often with an acute onset. There is a chronic form also which persists for a longer duration and starts with insidious onset. Chronic telogen effluvium is hair shedding lasting longer than 6 months. Treatment consists of medications like Minoxidil, surgical approach(hair transplantation) and improvement in diet.

My sincere advice is to consult a trichologist.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank