The dry skin around my nose is breaking off and spreading like a rash.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I've always had dry skin on the sides of my nose but it was easy to control with exfoliant and moisteriser. Now the skin has started cracking and breaking off. Its also spread up the sides of my nose, around my nostrils, down towards my lip, and almost to my cheeks. I also have a patch of dry skin on my eye lid. All the skin is flaking and breaking off. In some places its raw and red underneath.
It doesn't itch or hurt and I haven't started using any different kinds of makeup or creams.
I would much rather solve this problem at the lowest cost possible. I only want to go see a dermatologist or doctor if I need a prescription.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may be a case of perioral dermatitis. I would advise that you gradually cease the creams and lotions you have been applying on your face. These might have contained irritant or abrasive ingredients that could have caused the skin condition. "Perioral dermatitis is a common skin problem that mostly affects young women. Occasionally men or children are affected. Perioral refers to the area around the mouth, and dermatitis indicates redness of the skin. In addition to redness, there are usually small red bumps or pus bumps, and mild peeling. Sometimes the bumps are the most obvious feature, and the disease can look a lot like acne. The areas most affected are within the borders of the lines from the nose, to the sides of the lips, and the chin. There is frequent sparing of a small band of skin that borders the lips. Occasionally, the areas around the nose, eyes, and cheeks can be affected. Sometimes there is mild itching or burning. "

Source:http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/common_perioral.html

You may need oral antibiotics for this. Also microscopic evaluation of the scales through KOH examination to rule out a fungal infection may help.

Thank you for your reply but I only have one of those symptoms... its peeling but there isn't any redness, bumps, and it isn't itchy... I haven't started any new creams of facial products that would have caused a reaction.  
skin condition
Sent by Tuari

Leave a Note
Send Message
Add as Friend

Tuari
Member since Oct 2008  

By the description of your symptoms you sound like you may have acne rosacea.  It is a chronic skin condition that is treated by applying Metro cream (metronidazole cream) once a day. It is a prescription cream. The condition is often misdiagnosed. Symptoms very from person to person. Your symptoms are almost verbatim of the condition. Here is a link to a website, you can decide for yourself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosacea