Thick dry skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Thick dry skin

I have thick dry skin on my leg and it has made my skin dark in some areas where it is really bad. Is there anything I can use to lighten my skin and get rid of the dry skin?
  • Dry Skin (1 replies):
    I have very severe dry skin. It becomes so dry that it ...[more]
  • Rash above anal crack (2 replies):
    I have a reddish/brown patch right above my anal crack. ...[more]
  • feet (1 replies):
    i have nasty rough feet and no foot cream can heal it
  • drynes on penis skin (1 replies):
    how could i cure this drynes on the tip off my penis? i ...[more]
  • Dry skin (1 replies):
    Dear Dr, The skin area under my eye brow and above th...[more]
Dry skin results when there is not enough water in the stratum corneum for it to function properly. Too much soapy water, exposure to harsh chemicals, the normal aging process and certain types of skin diseases are some of the causes of decreased amounts of protective skin oils which in turn causes dry skin.

The mainstay of management is liberal use of moisturizers after washing with luke warm water. Soap should be used minimally. Moisturizers should be reapplied liberally during the day.You can also use a topical cortisone (steroid) cream or ointment like dermacort(hydrocortisone). Adding a humidifier to the central heating system of your home or using a humidifier also helps.

If still the symptoms persisit then possibility of eczema or atopic dermatitis,psoriasis, ichthyosis (fish scale-like skin) or pitted keratolysis is there.Pls consult a dermatologist for clinical examination in that case as treatment is specific for each one and without clinical examination,it is difficult to make a diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted on how you are doing.