Thick spots on scalp
so recently i have noticed these rather thick spots on the right side of my head. They are white and flaky, and when scratched they come off like dandruff, but when the area of hair is pulled, not only does the the spot come off, but it comes out with large chunks of hair. When the hair is removed, it doesn't look like the root of my hair has come out though. The spots are like scabs, but not red. I am in my twenties, and do a lot of crazy stuff with my hair, i dye it on occasion, but since i have noticed the spots, i have stopped. I also wash my hair four to five times a week because i have fine, thin hair that gets dirty easily, but i also condition my scalp and hair. I have bought mosturizing shampoo and conditioner in hopes of compensating for having to wash it so much, but there has been little effect. If there is any answer or suggestions, that would be great.

Thanks.

This could be seborrhoeic dermatitis. It is a skin disorder affecting the scalp, face, and trunk causing scaly, flaky, itchy, red skin. It particularly affects the sebum-gland rich areas of skin.

Side effects to inflammation may include temporary hair loss. If severe outbreaks are untreated for extended intervals, permanent hair loss may result, because of damage to hair follicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis

Soaps and detergents such as sodium laureate sulfate may precipitate a flare-up, as they strip moisture from the top layers of the skin, and the drying property of these can cause flare-ups and may worsen the condition. Accordingly a suitable alternative should be used instead.

Among dermatologist recommended treatments are shampoos containing coal tar, ciclopiroxolamine, ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, or zinc pyrithione. For severe disease, keratolytics such as salicylic acid or coal tar preparations may be used to remove dense scale. Topical terbinafine solution (1%) has also been shown to be effective in the treatment of scalp seborrhoea,as may lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids or corticosteroids (such as fluocinolone acetonide). Pimecrolimus topical lotion is also sometimes prescribed.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination if your symptoms persist.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.