Tinea Versicolor - Help!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Tinea Versicolor - Help!

I have tinea versicolor. My doctor told me to use selsun blue and thats what I've been doing. I've been using it for about a month now [actually more, but it's been a month that i've used it consistently]. I hate it and can't seem to get rid of it! I still have white spots all over my stomach, back, and chest. How much longer til I see improvement? Is the selsun blue not working or do I just need to wait even longer? What are the first improvements I will notice? I don't know if this method is working and I need to get rid of tinea versicolor! It's horrible.
once you've gotten rid of the fungus (tinea vesicolor). you will need to sunbathe to even out your skin. removing the fungus does not remove the sunspots until after you've spent some time under the sun. your skin should tan evenly once the fungus is out.
Selsun has to been found to be more effective than Selsun blue.Selsun blue contains 1% selenium sulfide and Selsun contains 2.5 %.So better use it for tinea versicolor.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.
Ive got a similar issue to urs. Ive been using Nizoral shampoo and used a couple fo antifungal creams. But recently iive been prescribed Dovonex. I have no idea why though =\

How can i know if the fungus is gone and whether i should stoop using the dovonex as it is starting to irritate me and is a hassle putting it on.
I have tinea too.  I know its hard to deal with - but its not the end of the world - really.  Here is how you know you still have the fungus and haven't killed it - the spots have some red (almost like a ring) and the spots have some flakiness.  I always know when I have killed it because the spots are white - but they aren't red and flaky.  I use econazole cream - and it works great.  No messy Selsen nights for me.  I use the cream on the spots and around the surrounding area for at least 5-7 days (once or twice a day depending on how bad).  It can be a pain if it is all over your back for instance - but dilligence and consistent use of the cream will kill it fast.  This last time I only did it for 3-4 days and it covered most of my back.  It's gone and the tanning bed has returned my skin to normal in a few sessions.

Now - Prevention is KEY!  Here is what works - first - go tan after the tinea is killed.  Use the newer bronzing beds that have lower UVB rays and higher UVA rays.  After a few visits of a few minutes each time (5-10 minutes, depending on your skin fairness) you will see the spots disappear.  If you notice spots getting worse - you haven't killed it - go back to the cream and use it longer - then - go back to tanning until your skin is even again.  Once you have achieved even skin color - you know its gone - now the daily routine begins.  
1) Shower every day (duh, right, but we all get busy... :)
2) Buff your skin with a terry cloth towel every time you get out of the shower - don't just throw on a robe - use the towel on every part of your body and really "buff" your skin.  You don't need to rub your skin off, but a good stiff buffing works wonders.  Your skin should be completely dry.
3) Use baby powder on your skin in those appears where you usually see spots when tinea occurs.  This can change - I have had it on my stomach, on my wrists, on my groin area, and on my back.  I usually only powder my stomach, cause I can't get to my back - and get what - I never get tinea on my stomach anymore - only my back.  So powder works!  Use it every time to make your skin stay dry.  This stuff loves moisture... so starve it everyday.
4) You can use a cheap apple cider vinegar (yes - cheap and in every grocery store)to keep it at bay.  I put it in a spray bottle and keep it near the shower.  Once a week, spray your body with the vinegar in the shower and leave it on for 5 minutes or so.  The acidity in the vinegar seems to do the trick.  This seems to help kill it and keep it away before it has a chance to make those dreaded spots.
5) Check your skin daily after you dry off... any sign of an oval looking spot that is a little red and flaky is a sure sign its starting again.  Use a little cream on those areas, and a bit around them, to keep it from getting out of hand.  Continue the other steps above.
6) Smile... you can lick this.  Its now a small irritation to me once a year and it never gets out of hand.  The hardest part is getting rid of it.. once you do it isn't hard to prevent.

See a derm for the cream I mentioned.  It comes it much larger tubes than the over the counter stuff and is covered by insurance.
Good luck!
I read your post and really appreciate the information. I discovered I had tinea versicolor after a recent beach trip. I am using selsun blue in the shower and then applying econazole cream at night and in the morning. I think my skin is irritated from the intense treatment regime I am using. Should I simply skip the selsun blue and just use the econazole cream morning and night? The spots were white and now they are red. I think I have irritated my skin tremedously. When is it safe to go back in the sun? I do not want to risk making the rash worse or more obvious. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Right now it is covering most of my upper back. I am light skinned, very pale in the winter, but do have the ability to tan in the summer.