Tingly and prickly sensation on body

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Tingly and prickly sensation on body

I don't think this is a skin care problem and not sure it's dematology.  All of a sudden I've developed a strange sensation on my body.  A tingle and prickly feeling.  It's a bit like how your skin feels when you've been in the sun too long - that feeling of being slightly sunburnt.

It first started by darting all over my body, one minute my arm, next minute my back, then leg etc., now it seems to be all over me and I can feel it on my face.  There are no spots or rashes.  It seems to come on later in the day, for some reason.

The only time I felt a similar sensation was when I changed my HRT which didn't seem to agree with me.  I had very hard breasts and this tingle.  When I changed the HRT, to what I'm on now, all seems o.k., no side effects whatsoever.  

It seems as if my body is trying to tell me something - I don't know if it is my hormone levels and mystified why I feel it more later in the day - perhaps I'm less busy.  It's really unpleasant and slightly scary.  If I had a rash or something, then it might be easier to explain.  
These tingly and prickly sensations can be due to parasthesia. Chronic paresthesia indicates a problem with the functioning of neurons.

Parasthesias are common in alcoholics and metabolic disorders like diabetes, hypothyroidism, and hypoparathyroidismThey can also be due to peripheral vascular disease, vitamin B12 deficiency or malnutrition.

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the tingling is gone or not.

In case the symptoms persist then please consult a neurologist as it can be due to some neurological disorder. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.