Tiny Red Bumps

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Tiny Red Bumps

For the last year or so i have gotten tiny red bumps on my foreskin and head of my penis. They are very small less than 1mm. The bumps are mildly itchy but just enough to be noticeable. it seems to come and go, the area will go red and the bumps will appear.i usually just put some sort of antibacterial cream on it. and after 2-3 days it goes away. It has happened about 3-4 times, every few months. There is no discharge, blisters, scabs or anything else besides the tiny bumps, redness and itchyness. What could this be? and what possible treatment could i use
These red bumps are due to folliculitis which are quite common when the hair follicles get irritated after rubbing with clothes. Folliculitis is the inflammation of one or more hair follicles. The condition may occur anywhere on the skin. It starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle.

Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.