Dermatology Expert Forum
Tiny Red Spot On Face
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Tiny Red Spot On Face
Hi.  I just have a question about something that has appeared on my left cheek just to the side of my nose.  Basically, it is an extremely tiny red spot, almost like a pin-***** size, and it hasn't gone away in weeks.  I also have another smaller fainter one not to far from it.  Could it be a tiny burst blood vessle or something like that?  I'm concerned it could be a sign of skin cancer.  My mother says it looks exactly like the beginning of a beauty mark, because she said she has had the exact same kind of spot that seemed to last forever and eventually turned into a beauty mark.  (not a cancerous mole, just your average run-of-the-mill beauty mark.)  I hope that's all it is.

Also, what about a tiny white bump (in another spot)?  I don't mean a growth, but like a whitehead.  Then again, maybe it is just a whitehead, but please define because I'm not sure if a true whitehead is just the final stage of a pimple that looks full and white (which this isn't) or more like I'm describing, like maybe a little clogged poor which looks white.  I also have two of these in different spots.

Just to give you an idea, I have kind of pale, not very great skin that has a tendency to break out, especially around my neck.  Although I don't tan well, I haven't had a sunburn in years because I'm never out in the sun for long.  Skin cancer does not run in my family.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
242489 tn?1210500813
Jody:

What you're describing is almsot certainly what doctors call a "telangiectasis," and regular people call a "broken blood vessel."  In fact these small, superficial blood vessels aren't "broken," merely close to the surface and noticeable.  They're more common in fair-skinned people.  They NEVER turn into skin cancer.  You can ignore them, or if you don't like them, your dermatologist can laser them off for you in a jif.

The "white spot" could be either a clogged pore or a small cyst called a milium.  Either can be removed by a doctor or an esthetician.

Best.

Dr. R

Disclaimer: The information provided in this forum is presented for general educational purposes only.
Specific questions you have pertaining to your health should always be directed to your
personal physician.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A related discussion, large red Spot on face was started.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A related discussion, red spots was started.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A related discussion, Red Spots was started.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now